As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A reporter and cameraman have been shot to death live on air in Virginia

They were with WDBJ7 News and were doing some fairly standard fluff piece when a man walked up and shot them.

I... really can't imagine what everyone at that news station is going through right now.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Time to reset the its too soon to talk about gun violence button. The person they were interviewing was shot in the back as well, she's in surgery. Apparently it was going to be that particular newswoman's last day they were throwing her a party.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Jesus, that video was horrifying.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I think it is best to see who the shooter was, why the shooter did it, and what is actually going on before we start taking gun control.

It's not even a "too soon" issue, its a "what the fuck just happened" issue right now.

And this is coming from me, who is probably one of the more vocal supporters of a national database/registration, liability insurance, etc.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I'm working the morning show shift at a station in Nebraska. Our newsroom is the quietest I've ever heard right now. Has been ever since the news broke.

I couldn't imagine being in the WDBJ7 newsroom, knowing what happened and still having to go on air because that's what newspeople do no matter what.

There's video of the shooting out there. Watch it if you want. I've seen it twice and I wish to never see it again.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    I think it is best to see who the shooter was, why the shooter did it, and what is actually going on before we start taking gun control.

It's not even a "too soon" issue, its a "what the fuck just happened" issue right now.

And this is coming from me, who is probably one of the more vocal supporters of a national database/registration, liability insurance, etc.

Yeah because of course a reporter and her cameraman could have been killed by anything by someone walking by, they could have been cheese grated to death...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah because of course a reporter and her cameraman could have been killed by anything by someone walking by, they could have been cheese grated to death...

please stop. Whether you know it or not, this reaction is one of the reasons we don't have better gun control laws in this country.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

please stop. Whether you know it or not, this reaction is one of the reasons we don't have better gun control laws in this country.

No actually the reason is because of people like you saying it's always too soon to talk about it. You stop. It's fucking time to talk about it.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Bullshit, we don't have better gun laws in this country because our politicians are bought and fucking paid for, not because people get upset when people are senselessly gunned down in this country.

"Damn it I was this close to signing a bill for better background checks but than this asshole made a post on the internet and now nope not going to do it."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    People will wring their hands for a couple days, then Trump will say something dumb and the news cycle will move on.

If Sandy Hook didn't change anything, this sure as hell isn't either.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

No actually the reason is because of people like you saying it's always too soon to talk about it. You stop. It's fucking time to talk about it.

We always talk about it. We utilize the tragedy of people dying as leverage to try and get laws through. People on the other side call it callous and double down, gun sales go up (often the very gun used in the tragedy and is brought up in the news as something that should be banned), and nothing changes.

We have this talk every. single. time.

I want change as much as you do. Possibly more so. But this is insanity. It never works. We had a school full of kids shot up and this strategy did not work.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    People will wring their hands for a couple days, then Trump will say something dumb and the news cycle will move on.

Sadly accurate.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I'm working the morning show shift at a station in Nebraska. Our newsroom is the quietest I've ever heard right now. Has been ever since the news broke.

I couldn't imagine being in the WDBJ7 newsroom, knowing what happened and still having to go on air because that's what newspeople do no matter what.

There's video of the shooting out there. Watch it if you want. I've seen it twice and I wish to never see it again.

I'm a former print journalist, and I'm already getting copied on emails from former journalists I haven't talked with in a decade over this. This is going to clarify a lot of minds in the industry.

• Options
    If you want to make it stop, spend the next 10-20 years deconstructing the hold that the NRA has over our political machine.

If every dollar spent on trying to pass gun laws through our congress (that wont pass even on 80-90% popular approval) was spent on campaigns further down ticket to put state and federal congress critters in office who are not beholden to the NRA vote scoring machinery, a lot more could be done.

Attacking this is attacking the symptom, not the root issue, and trying to push legislation through an uncooperative congress who CANNOT be cooperative without risking their all-too-important grade is pissing in the wind.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Sadly accurate.
    Obviously the details we don't have yet will be very important, but there's reason to think this might be different.

This wasnt just members of the general public being gunned down, it was members of the press. Media is going to see this as being about them. That might give it some staying power.

I hope the survivor pulls through, and my thoughts are definitely with the families of the victims.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Congratulations America, you just had a live gun murder on TV. It is beyond the point of talking about gun control.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

Yeah, I clicked on a link that I figured was safe to watch since it said the video cuts away. It was the original broadcast. They obviously meant it cuts to the studio right after they were shot.

The expression on the anchor's face is going to stay with me for a long time.

What the hell happened?! I mean they're just doing some random broadcast and he just walked right up to them and shot them. Did he know they were going to be there? Did he want the "glory" of shooting people live on TV? The whole thing just looks so utterly motiveless.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    As a morning news director for 10 years I don't have any idea what to even feel. A lot of anger, sadness and just...I don't know.

Its impacted me way, way more than I ever would have thought, and I've been out of the business for 2 years.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Oh dear God. The cameraman was engaged to the morning producer. She was in the control room when it happened and saw the whole thing.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    If you want to make it stop, spend the next 10-20 years deconstructing the hold that the NRA has over our political machine.

If every dollar spent on trying to pass gun laws through our congress (that wont pass even on 80-90% popular approval) was spent on campaigns further down ticket to put state and federal congress critters in office who are not beholden to the NRA vote scoring machinery, a lot more could be done.

Attacking this is attacking the symptom, not the root issue, and trying to push legislation through an uncooperative congress who CANNOT be cooperative without risking their all-too-important grade is pissing in the wind.

It's worth reminding people that one of those pro-gun politicians whom the NRA helped get into office is the current progressive man of the hour.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Oh dear God. The cameraman was engaged to the morning producer. She was in the control room when it happened and saw the whole thing.

It was also her last day at the station. They had just finished celebrating at the station that morning and she had gone out to do that interview before leaving.

And she had just moved in with the station's 6 o'clock anchor

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    As a morning news director for 10 years I don't have any idea what to even feel. A lot of anger, sadness and just...I don't know.

Its impacted me way, way more than I ever would have thought, and I've been out of the business for 2 years.

I can't fathom the idea of having to continue calling or punching after something like that. I... I just can't.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular

And the female was living with another anchor moving towards marriage....

Stuff sucks all around.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Invectivus wrote: »
    Congratulations America, you just had a live gun murder on TV. It is beyond the point of talking about gun control.

Gun control will never happen. You will never get rid of guns in America. It's a pipe dream. People can argue interpretations of the Second Amendment all they like, but you will never make guns go away. Even if the NRA boogeyman or the gun lobby in general disappeared overnight you still have the collective gun nut population who won't give up the guns they have and will vote against any law that restricts their ability to get more.

Alcohol kills three times as many people per year in this country as guns do, tobacco over ten times as many, if you're looking for controlling something to curtail preventable deaths there are better options out there.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    The sad truth of this is americans are ok with other americans dying as long as it was to gun violence by a white person. There that's the truth of it. To keep our love of guns going we'll never do anything about this.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Gun control will never happen. You will never get rid of guns in America. It's a pipe dream. People can argue interpretations of the Second Amendment all they like, but you will never make guns go away. Even if the NRA boogeyman or the gun lobby in general disappeared overnight you still have the collective gun nut population who won't give up the guns they have and will vote against any law that restricts their ability to get more.

Alcohol kills three times as many people per year in this country as guns do, tobacco over ten times as many, if you're looking for controlling something to curtail preventable deaths there are better options out there.

It won't happen because of defeatist attitudes like this.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I just wish Americans could get an outside view of the whole madness that is your gun laws/culture. The rest of the civilized world does not have these problems and there is exactly one reason why.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The Virginia Governor mentioned on radio station WTOP that the police know the identity of the suspect whom apparently was a former employee at the station.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Disco11 wrote: »
    I just wish Americans could get an outside view of the whole madness that is your gun laws/culture. The rest of the civilized world does not have these problems and there is exactly one reason why.

The onion has a poignant not very satirical piece about americans wondering why we're the only country that has incidents like this on a regular basis. Also this guy isn't even done, he's still out there, god knows what he wants to do as an encore.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    The Virginia Governor mentioned on radio station WTOP that the police know the identity of the suspect whom apparently was a former employee at the station.

If true, he probably knew it was her last day, knew when she was going to be on air, and specifically did this where and when for maximum coverage.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular

Sounds correct. how else would he know where they would be?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

It's not a defeatist attitude, it's reality. Regardless of how you or I feel on the subject of guns, trying to create a gun free America is like throwing ice cubes at the sun.

• Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

And how many of those deaths included someone other than the user?

fortis on
  • Options
    edited August 2015

The problem here is that we cannot simply use the outside view because even if the laws changed overnight, we have almost as many guns as people here right now (over 90 guns to every 100 americans).

This is going to require a shift in culture, a shift in laws, a shift in mental health services... there are hundreds of things we can be doing.

But we can't just go "look at the low rate of gun violence in the UK! Why can't America do that?" Because we really really can't just do that. We have to walk back a couple hundred years of tradition and hundreds of billions of dollars of sunk costs by the citizens.

I want to get there though. I want to get there real bad. But step one is getting a legislative body willing to make the changes needed, not demanding the changes right now from what we have. Because what we have has clearly and conclusively shown that the demands of the people mean fuckall to them when it comes to this issue.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

Are you serious? This guy might have worked with them? He might have known that cameraman's fiance would see the murder as it happened?

• Options

Are you serious? This guy might have worked with them? He might have known that cameraman's fiance would see the murder as it happened?

That's probably exactly what he wanted.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Read the story. Seen the footage.

I have no goddamn words. Besides RIP.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Gun control will never happen. You will never get rid of guns in America. It's a pipe dream. People can argue interpretations of the Second Amendment all they like, but you will never make guns go away. Even if the NRA boogeyman or hthe gun lobby in general disappeared overnight you still have the collective gun nut population who won't give up the guns they have and will vote against any law that restricts their ability to get more.

It's not a defeatist attitude, it's reality. Regardless of how you or I feel on the subject of guns, trying to create a gun free America is like throwing ice cubes at the sun.

Because we can't get the perfect result we shouldn't try? Nah.

• Options
    fortis wrote: »

And how many of those deaths other than the user?

I figured I'd check and see how many people are killed by drunk drivers every year, but I don't think they separate the driver and the people they kill in the statistics, instead they just label them all "alcohol related", so I couldn't tell you.

• Options

That's probably exactly what he wanted.

I think I just gave up on humanity.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

The problem here is that we cannot simply use the outside view because even if the laws changed overnight, we have almost as many guns as people here right now (over 90 guns to every 100 americans).

This is going to require a shift in culture, a shift in laws, a shift in mental health services... there are hundreds of things we can be doing.

But we can't just go "look at the low rate of gun violence in the UK! Why can't America do that?" Because we really really can't just do that. We have to walk back a couple hundred years of tradition and hundreds of billions of dollars of sunk costs by the citizens.

I want to get there though. I want to get there real bad. But step one is getting a legislative body willing to make the changes needed, not demanding the changes right now from what we have. Because what we have has clearly and conclusively shown that the demands of the people mean fuckall to them when it comes to this issue.

Step one is to stop selling guns. You have to start somewhere and hearing the "it's too late argument" pisses me off to no end.

PSN: Canadian_llama