As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wes Craven, Master of Horror, passes away at 76

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
Sad news folks, Wes Craven died earlier today.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/wes-craven-horror-maestro-dies-818806
Even sadder, he died after a long battle with brain cancer.

He was by all account a pretty cool dude and a great writer/director. Lets celebrate him by watching the first 3 Nightmare on Elm Street movies.

• InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Shit.

Truly lost a great craftsman. RIP

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    More like Wes Gravin'

With that out of the way: Man. He didn't invent horror movies, but he left a big mark; you can definitely classify horror movies as pre- and post-Scream. His style is one worth emulating.

l3icwZV.png
    Bucketman
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    scream 1 is a masterwork in horror deconstruction

the other two are definitely movies

dude had a helluva run though

did not realize he was 76

BucketmanHacksaw
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    scream 1 is a masterwork in horror deconstruction

the other two are definitely movies

dude had a helluva run though

did not realize he was 76

I love Scream 2 because it was a deconstruction of a deconstruction and a giant middle finger to the news and new media.

AND that the original ending leaked and they changed it within like two weeks. That's pretty impressive.

Scream 3 just had absolutely nothing to say and it showed, hard.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    BucketmanHacksaw
  • BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Damn it. I love the Nightmare on Elm Street films. Great horror savant he was.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    i will always remember the wes craven who brought me the last house on the left, the hills have eyes, a nightmare on elm street, dream warriors, new nightmare, the people under the stairs, scream, the serpent and the rainbow, shocker, red eye, deadly blessing, and swamp thing

i'll even forgive him for vampire in brooklyn

i am actually not dealing with this too well the more it sinks in

as if it being the anniversary of charles bronson's death wasn't enough today

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    New Nightmare was the first Craven movie I ever saw, in the middle of the night at my grandparents' house. I don't really remember any specific feelings about it, but it left a stronger impression on me than the Exorcist, which I saw on the same night.

I think the first time I ever saw Nightmare on Elm Street was in this, well, nightmarish game of Call of Cthulu, which was built around the idea of tying Cthulu mythos in with the Elm Street stuff. We watched the first, third and...fifth movies? Maybe not the fifth. But they were great, for sure, which made the ensuing experience of that game mostly worth it.

Anyways...weirdly, horror movies are the movies that I have the most specific memories of actually watching. And these movies were really good. I dunno. This is a weird post. This sucks!

Bucketman
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I first saw Nightmare on Elm Street when I was probably 8 years old.

I think those movies have really had a big impact on my life after that experience.

Gonna have to watch all of those earlier than I planned this year.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    i feel like horror movies in general have that effect, geebs

i'll remember laughing at a comedy, or being impressed by a well-choregraphed action scene, but i can remember exactly what time, just off the top of my head, i first saw phantasm 2, who was there, where i jumped, etc.

or, to bring it back to wes, i remember having a fever during a blizzard the second time i watched the serpent and the rainbow, because i was convinced i'd never seen it before and bought two cheap copies off of ebay for myself and my roommate. we only got one copy of it and the other was a spanish bootleg of the movie "the reptile" titled A SERPENTE

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I might have just ordered the bluray set in fact

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Wes Craven was a big part of my childhood, my mom would always take me with when a new Nightmare on Elm Street movie came out. This is why I was the only 8 year old that I knew who saw Freddy's Dead in the theater. That's a strangely fond memory I'll probably never forget.

It's sad to see such a master has died
    ....or has he!?!

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    New Nightmare was the first Craven movie I ever saw, in the middle of the night at my grandparents' house. I don't really remember any specific feelings about it, but it left a stronger impression on me than the Exorcist, which I saw on the same night.

I think the first time I ever saw Nightmare on Elm Street was in this, well, nightmarish game of Call of Cthulu, which was built around the idea of tying Cthulu mythos in with the Elm Street stuff. We watched the first, third and...fifth movies? Maybe not the fifth. But they were great, for sure, which made the ensuing experience of that game mostly worth it.

Anyways...weirdly, horror movies are the movies that I have the most specific memories of actually watching. And these movies were really good. I dunno. This is a weird post. This sucks!

Yeah same here. Horror movies and the Terminator films stick out in my head from when I was a kid. Maybe because I shouldn't have been watching them but I was.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I've never been one for horror

But man, what an influential guy. It's a shame.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    i feel like horror movies in general have that effect, geebs

i'll remember laughing at a comedy, or being impressed by a well-choregraphed action scene, but i can remember exactly what time, just off the top of my head, i first saw phantasm 2, who was there, where i jumped, etc.

or, to bring it back to wes, i remember having a fever during a blizzard the second time i watched the serpent and the rainbow, because i was convinced i'd never seen it before and bought two cheap copies off of ebay for myself and my roommate. we only got one copy of it and the other was a spanish bootleg of the movie "the reptile" titled A SERPENTE

like, I saw the exorcist and poltergeist in the middle of the night at my grandparents' house, same as new nightmare. I saw...parts of the It miniseries at my other grandparents' house, during a family cookout, when I was like, eight, because my cousins wanted to watch it, and it gave me hardcore nightmares for at least a month

and I saw Jaws for the first time at my cousins' when my youngest sister was being born, and I remember shutting the TV off in terror when "the guy drops the stick when he's in the shark cage!" and I would have been...like six

so I guess, yeah, there is something about horror movies that stick with you, especially when you're young, because they just...aim for something kind of primal, I guess? like, the best horror movies are aiming for something very specific, and if that hits, it's going to hit hard

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

I think those movies have really had a big impact on my life after that experience.

Yeah I saw that as a kid too, cause you know it was the 80's. After the scene where Johnny Depp falls asleep in his bed and becomes a fountain of blood I started sleeping on the edge of my mistress figuring this would make me safe as Johnny Depp was smack dab in the middle when he bit it.

Ah, kid logic.

• builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    RIP
    I'll have to do a Wes Craven movie marathon sometime soon.

steam_sig.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    This... this fucking sucks, y'all.

This man's films were a tremendous part of my childhood. They informed my opinions on not only horror films, but film as a medium.

Shit.
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

Yeah I saw that as a kid too, cause you know it was the 80's. After the scene where Johnny Depp falls asleep in his bed and becomes a fountain of blood I started sleeping on the edge of my mistress figuring this would make me safe as Johnny Depp was smack dab in the middle when he bit it.

Ah, kid logic.

:winky:

I'm still sad though.

Metzger Meister on