As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mexico is about to get hit by the biggest hurricane ever recorded

Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
edited October 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
Patricia.jpg

Currently a category five with wind speeds of 325km/h (200mph). To put that in comparison, Hurricane Katrina had wind speeds of 280km/h (175mph). It's being compared to Typhoon Haiyan, which killed 6,300 people in the Philippines in 2013. BBC News have more information here.

The last time a category 5 hurricane made landfall in Mexico was in 1959. It hit more or less the same area. Here's a snippet of Wikipedia's article on the storm.
The hurricane also dumped heavy rains along its path. This water-logged the hills near Minatitlán, and contributed to huge mudslide late on October 29 that claimed 800 victims. The slide uncovered hundreds of venomous scorpions and snakes, which killed tens more people in the aftermath. Additional hordes of scorpions were driven from their nests when the adobe walls crumbled away. The Governor of Colima, Rodolfo Chávez Carrillo and his wife issued a plea for venom inoculations afterwards.

TL;DR Mexico is probably in for a bad day.

*edit* Oh yeah. Her name is Patricia.

Desktop Hippie on

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Buena suerte Mexico.

• Options
    RecluseRecluse No place special Registered User regular
    O-o Dios mio! Seems to be headed toward the sea of Cortez. I know people who vacation/dive there a lot. Hope it's not too busy, might end up seeing a lot of hammerheads, great whites and Humboldt squid inland.

• Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    I fully expect it to hit hella tragic levels of damage and death. Mexico's infrastructure being pretty shitty to begin with isn't going to help in recovery. Fingers crossed all the same. :(

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Speaking from experience here

Do not stand in front of any fast moving stair cases

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Holy shit this thing is huge

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2015
    Christ, that Wikipedia snippet reads like the synopsis of a terrible SyFy movie.

Sharknado 4: Fuck It, Have Some Scorpions

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    There are a couple live streams still up and running.

The clouds are moving scary fast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_GShxXtLx4

The HDEV is down right now but in about an 30-60 minutes it should be coming back over Mexico if the feed is running again: http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/

• Options
    Reading up on this storm gives me a cold feeling in the pit of my stomach I haven't felt since I read that National Weather Service bulletin for Hurricane Katrina. There just doesn't seem to be any way that this can end well. I hope the 1959 hurricane is local legend enough that everyone goes along with the evacuation.

• Options
    At least it's small, relatively speaking. It's not moving a volume of water like Katrina did, and it's going to slam into mountains pretty much immediately. That'll tear the bottom out of the thing...

... leaving the top primed to dump an absolute shit-ton of rain on Texas as it joins with the gulf rain event already in progress. Local totals could hit over a foot of rain in 24 hours in east & south Texas..

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Can someone @ the resident weather experts... I can't remember names.

Is this related to the impending el nino event, or just unlucky. I know the eastern pacific is unusually warm this year, which would contribute to the storms power.

Good luck to anyone in this things path.

• Options
    This hurricane has windspeeds well above ranges you'd find in a dangerous tornado

wtf

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Those are some large numbers and unsettling comparisons. Geez. Hope the locals got more of a heads up about this than us interbutts folks.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Can someone @ the resident weather experts... I can't remember names.

Is this related to the impending el nino event, or just unlucky. I know the eastern pacific is unusually warm this year, which would contribute to the storms power.

Good luck to anyone in this things path.

I know in the Atlantic hurricane severity tends to follow the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation, so extra heat could be a factor here along with other things like favorable high-level wind conditions.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    A hurricane of scorpions and snakes. Things are about to get Biblical in Mexico.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I saw radar maps that used the color black for the center of the storm. I've never seen black as a color in a radar map...

@Chimera -- what's the world like in your circles? I've seen you mostly talk about tornadoes.. well.. this looks almost like a mega-tornado...

Edit: Aw man, she hasn't been around since April. :(

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    This monstrosity is essentially an F4 tornado 25 miles wide. Winds could reach as high as 250 MPH. The highest rank for a hurricane is Category 5: Catastrophic - Most buildings destroyed, vegetation destroyed, major roads cut off, homes flooded. The criteria? 155+ MPH winds.

Basically this thing is going to break the charts and a whole lot of other stuff.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Just a minor correction: this is the strongest hurricane on record for the Pacific. There have been stronger storms, just not in those waters, because said waters have not traditionally been so warm.

:|

The only good thing about this is that Patricia's basically kicked a field goal - her projected path just barely misses both of Mexico's most populated areas (though that's cold comfort for those in the way).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    yo anywhere we can preemptively donate to the aid that's certainly going to need to be sent there?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Just a minor correction: this is the strongest hurricane on record for the Pacific. There have been stronger storms, just not in those waters, because said waters have not traditionally been so warm.

The only good thing about this is that Patricia's basically kicked a field goal - her projected path just barely misses both of Mexico's most populated areas (though that's cold comfort for those in the way).

There's actually some debate about this. There have been Asian cyclones that have had higher wind gusts, but this thing has the highest sustained winds every recorded and those do the most damage.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    At least it's small, relatively speaking. It's not moving a volume of water like Katrina did, and it's going to slam into mountains pretty much immediately. That'll tear the bottom out of the thing...

... leaving the top primed to dump an absolute shit-ton of rain on Texas as it joins with the gulf rain event already in progress. Local totals could hit over a foot of rain in 24 hours in east & south Texas..

YEa. Thats my worry.
    I mean, i dont want to sound like a bad person, but i'm more concerned with its effect on Houston since thats where all of my family is.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    @So It Goes Direct Relief is currently accepting donations so they can put together relief packages.

EDIT: Hopefully the Red Cross sets-up a text relief service again. Those have been extremely successful in the past.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Ninjeff wrote: »

YEa. Thats my worry.
    I mean, i dont want to sound like a bad person, but i'm more concerned with its effect on Houston since thats where all of my family is.

I think you'd sound like a bad person if you weren't concerned for your family.

Yeah I cheated a little with the headline and went with strongest hurricane ever since the other storms are normally called typhoons, even though they're pretty much the same thing.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Well, looks like it will hit the tourist dense area that is the southwest Mexican coast first. Namely Puerto Vallarta and the port of Manzanillo. The upside, is that there isn't much of a local population there. I'm not sure how far inland it will go, but if it breaks landfall there, it will probably lose a lot of steam at it moves north.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular

YEa. Thats my worry.

I think you'd sound like a bad person if you weren't concerned for your family.

Well, in the sense that i didnt want to sound flippant about its impact on Mexico.
    Im just more concerned with its impact on Houston.

• Options

YEa. Thats my worry.

I'm in Austin, and it's already raining... a nice calm drizzle that will saturate the ground before the ocean gets dumped on us all at once.

yay?

At least we're not in Mexico.

• Options
    w3h3i24u83z0.jpg

Sweet baby Ahura Mazda! I didn't notice it's size relative to the Mexico earlier. It's larger than most of the country.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Good collection of live-streams from potentially affected cities.

This is also the Google Alerts page on the subject, and here it is half-assedly translated to english for your perusal.

Here is the possible track it'll follow. Hopefully by the time it reaches here it'll be down to huge rains and not much else.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    nusu wrote: »

That looks like one of the establishing shots from "the day after tomorrow" after whatever portion of the globe was fucked by the weather.

I hope things do not go badly.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    @So It Goes @Elvenshae @Quid @Desktop Hippie

CNN now has a list of organizations that are accepting donations, so you can pick one that feels like the best fit you you.

*pats CNN on the head*

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    fuck my mom is vacationing... somewhere... in mexico

/digging through emails

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I've got a very dear friend in East Texas; hopefully she and her family will be okay when the sky falls on their heads. I'm already looking forward to the "we're okay" message.

In the meantime, fingers crossed for Mexico.

It's also a strange perspective from being an F1 fan; the race this weekend is in Austin, TX, at COTA; and next weekend was supposed to be the first race in Mexico City since 1992. The second practice session in Austin was already cancelled due to being washed out today, and both events might ultimately get canned. Small potatoes in the big scheme of what might yet happen, but still. Hopefully all involved in F1 stay safe and well too.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »

/digging through emails

Cabo San Lucas?

If she's in Cabo, she's safe; Patricia is (just barely) missing it.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Someone uploaded this one (from Tenacatita, Jalisco.) Rather impressive.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »

Ahhhhhhhhhhh

I hate it when people do this sort of thing. Not that I don't appreciate the feed, but seriously, put down the damn camera and seek shelter. Being internet famous for a month ain't worth the risk of life-long injury or death.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Thanks Ender. I donated to Direct Relief.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Ahhhhhhhhhhh

I hate it when people do this sort of thing. Not that I don't appreciate the feed, but seriously, put down the damn camera and seek shelter. Being internet famous for a month ain't worth the risk of life-long injury or death.

They are filming that from inside. You can see the door frame. Once it gets that bad, you aren't going anywhere, and you are as safe as the integrity of your shelter. Might as well take some video.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

/digging through emails

Heard back from my brother who knew, she's not in its path.

Small comfort for those who are. :(

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular

Ahhhhhhhhhhh

i don't know that the motivation for recording it is necessarily out of a desire for internet fame. As terrible as it's going to be, some people might not be convinced how bad this hurricane is until they see live footage of it. Whether it's people who might be convinced to evacuate or people who decide to donate to relief efforts, some good can come out of it.