As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terror Attacks in Paris

KetBraKetBra Dressed RidiculouslyRegistered User regular
edited November 2015 in Social Entropy++
KGMvDLc.jpg?1
KetBra on

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I do not envy you having to make this op.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    I was thinking of making this thread, but honestly, I don't know what to say

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    barbarism will disappear one day

but today is not that day

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Remember to vet any new information you post. No need to feed the fire.

Going back to depression.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    This is just awful and beyond words. I have nothing constructive to say except that my thoughts are with the people of France in this time of tragedy

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular

you can hear one of the bombings during this game's broadcast

the fans thought it was pyro it seems

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    There was a witness saying that one of the terrorists was saying that they were doing this because of France's involvement in Syria and Irak.
    Pierre Janaszak, qui se trouvait dans la salle de spectacle du Bataclan, affirme avoir clairement entendu les attaquants dire aux otages : « C'est la faute de Hollande. C'est la faute de votre président. Il n'a pas à intervenir en Syrie ». Ils ont aussi parlé de l'Irak, toujours selon ce même témoin.
    Pierre Janaszak, who was in the showroom of the Bataclan, says he had clearly heard the assailants say to the hostages: « It's Hollande's fault. It's your president's fault. He doesn't have to intervene in Syria ». They also talked about Irak, also according to this same witness.

D:

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    yes, that sure seems plausible, but at this point people who were just in the middle of an extremely stressful situation are not the best source.

give it time. there should be solid information in a few days.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Friend of mine flew to Paris today. I checked in with her, she's okay, they arrived at their hotel just as it went down.
    Gotta admit, this is the first time it actually feels scary to me. Must be the geographical proximity.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    People are being allowed into France now via the Channel Tunnel.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Reminder that this comes on the heels of two other attacks yesterday in baghdad and Beirut that killed 16 and 48, both of which ISIS has claimed responsibility for

There are still some things to be thankful for though, especially in beirut

• Options
    ISIS has issued a statement claiming responsibility, according to CNN

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    heard a brief line on NPR right now where the commentator let out a big audible sigh then starts talking about paris

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-34821392

Police are being super cautious after yesterdays events.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Welp, that's enough facebook for me today.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Apparently a different extremist group inside France had already planned an attack on the Bataclan before because its owners were Jewish (it changed owners this September however)

For those who don't know, France is slowly losing its Jewish population to emigration because there is strong antisemitism among a subportion of the Muslim population and there has been repeated violence against Jews (one of the attacks in January was also directed against a kosher supermarket and all the hostages killed by the attacker were Jewish)

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Welp, that's enough facebook for me today.

Yeah, one more conspiracy/false flag post and I might vomit

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    One commentator on TV pointed out that the attacks took place right between the start of the French intervention in Syria and the regional elections in December

The attacks could very much affect the election results and it is likely that this was intended by the extremists since they benefit from increased polarization

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    More information about the timeline of the suicide bombers and the France/Germany match.

Security actually caught one of the bombers trying to get into the stadium 15 minutes into the match; he blew himself up while trying to back away from the security team.

It sounds like this could have been a lot worse if the stadium security and logistics hadn't been so on point; the fact that they were able to prevent a panic inside was huge.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    More information about the timeline of the suicide bombers and the France/Germany match.

Security actually caught one of the bombers trying to get into the stadium 15 minutes into the match; he blew himself up while trying to back away from the security team.

It sounds like this could have been a lot worse if the stadium security and logistics hadn't been so on point; the fact that they were able to prevent a panic inside was huge.

Speaking of, I work security at a nuclear plant here. I wonder how all of this may affect my job.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Is there a place where I can donate money towards helping folks hurt by both the Beirut and Paris bombings? Is Doctors Without Borders a good organization to contribute to?

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I dunno if DWB is helping out with the care for the survivors, but anything that goes towards making the world a better place is a good thing in my book.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's a highly responsible charity which does a lot of good, so I'd say yes.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    MSF (DWB) is one of the best charities you can donate to

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Gumpy wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/bbcnews/videos/10152545792982217/

France stands strong against the attacks
    I wonder what routines and contingencies are planned, if any, to prevent this sort of thing in the future though?
    KetBra wrote: »
    MSF (DWB) is one of the best charities you can donate to
    Unlike the motherfucking Red Cross, for example :/

Panda4You on
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Alright, thanks! I'm going to throw a little bit of money their way. A little more helpful than changing my facebook pic or whatever.

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Unlike the motherfucking Red Cross , for example :/

...since when has the Red Cross/Red Crescent been evil?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

It's run by vampires, don'tcha know.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Nevermind

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    That article is from April.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    147 dead at a Kenyan university after an al-shabab attack
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-32169080

While also tragic, this article is dated April 3, 2015.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

I feel like cutting myself off from the world for a day or two might be good for my mental health.

oh its from months ago.

still. fuck.

not even a peep about it otherwise.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    For such a big and name-recognized charity as RC is, it's also inefficient and corrupt as fuck.

Panda4You on
  • Options

I feel like cutting myself off from the world for a day or two might be good for my mental health.

oh its from months ago.

still. fuck.

not even a peep about it otherwise.

Yeah, a few months after Charles, and as I said in the other thread, part of a sustained campaign by Al Shabaab against soft targets across the horn of Africa.

They're why dad couldn't go home. :(

• Options
    We've essentially got a media apparatus who deliberately want us to only feel for western white men.

• Options
    It was well publicized here in Europe

• Options
    It was well publicized here in Europe

You have a surprisingly better relationship with Africa compared to the US

• Options
    Well, it's closer to us and most of the countries used to be European colonies

This discussion has been closed.