As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] is OUT! MARK YOUR SPOILERS OR WE WILL END YOU!

19495969798100»

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Wait the Resistance uses T-70s (they used T-65Bs in the Rebel Alliance)

Are there more advanced Incom X-type Starfighters than T-70s then?

According to my sources who've read the new EU books, the republic is currently rolling out T-85's

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I don't like child actors. Maybe children in general, so...kinda eh on Lloyd for the most part.
    Jar Jar is pretty terrible for the most part (that cartoony flip he does to get in the water was probably the first moment I frowned).
    I did, and still do, like Darth Maul though, and am annoyed that he was wasted so hard

that reminds me. the phantom menace had such good sound design, and a brilliant score

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Who hates John Connor? That was a well done role. Half the film hinges on his relationship with the T800.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I felt like the TFA significantly undermined the OT until I read the theory that
    That the Force is much stronger because there so few Force users left plus mysterious Force whatever. I hope they make that explicit because Rey picking up her powers so quickly is dumb otherwise. And I guess that can also cover Finn using the lightsaber effectively although I'm still kind of salty about that.
    using a lightsaber effectively would not require the force.
    Technically, yes, but the whole thing in the OT is that they're this mystical weapon that only those with a great deal of focus and training use. It would be really easy to cut your own arm off with a blade with no weight. Finn is a Stormtrooper who bailed on his first battle, and he's running around cutting people like a Jedi (minus the blaster blocking).

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Hayden Christensen is a very specific tool that needs to be put in the proper situation

Everyone points to Shattered Glass, but there's a reason for that

He's real good in that movie

I think he's a real bummer in a lot of Attack Of The Clones but much better in Revenge Of The Sith. The script of the whole romance section is pretty weak, he's just not the kind of actor with a natural charisma that can survive a lack of direction and dodgy lines. Ewan Macgregor is, Liam Neeson is, Natalie Portman is (although she struggles a little with some of the really bad material) Ian McDarmid is. That's why they're the actors who come off the best in the prequels, because their particular acting styles work independently of the material they're given.

Liam Neeson is really good in TPM, and I've always felt it's a little unfair that no one gives him any credit for it. He gives a huge amount of character to Qui Gon that isn't in the script. One moment that stands out is responding to "no one can kill a jedi". His delivery of that response ("I only wish that were true") tells a lot of stories that a lesser actor wouldn't have been able to imply.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I don't like child actors. Maybe children in general, so...kinda eh on Lloyd for the most part.
    Jar Jar is pretty terrible for the most part (that cartoony flip he does to get in the water was probably the first moment I frowned).
    I did, and still do, like Darth Maul though, and am annoyed that he was wasted so hard

that reminds me. the phantom menace had such good sound design, and a brilliant score

Hell yeah it did! Duel of the Fates is still pretty great. As is..what is it called, from Ep2, Across the Stars?
    And I mean, the sound design was crazy good in the whole prequel trilogy. Jango's bass bomb going off was probably my favorite in-theater experience that year

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I felt like the TFA significantly undermined the OT until I read the theory that
    That the Force is much stronger because there so few Force users left plus mysterious Force whatever. I hope they make that explicit because Rey picking up her powers so quickly is dumb otherwise. And I guess that can also cover Finn using the lightsaber effectively although I'm still kind of salty about that.
    using a lightsaber effectively would not require the force.
    Technically, yes, but the whole thing in the OT is that they're this mystical weapon that only those with a great deal of focus and training use. It would be really easy to cut your own arm off with a blade with no weight. Finn is a Stormtrooper who bailed on his first battle, and he's running around cutting people like a Jedi (minus the blaster blocking).

No, it would not
    modern fencing foils weigh a few grams. It is completely trivial to not hit yourself with the blade. This is a thing people who have not handled a weapon say and repeat over and over again. Anyone could use a lightsaber as a normal sword.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Every excuse for why a normal person couldn't use a lightsaber sounds like the result of someone starting from the assumption that normal people can't use it, and working backwards from there to try and rationalize it.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    new thread time

geth, close the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.