As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Seventh Time's a Charm [STAR WARS]

bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
How quickly do we grow accustomed to wonders. I am reminded of the Isaac Asimov story "Nightfall," about the planet where the stars were visible only once in a thousand years. So awesome was the sight that it drove men mad. We who can see the stars every night glance up casually at the cosmos and then quickly down again, searching for a Dairy Queen.

Roger Ebert, on The Phantom Menace

can we keep talking about this whole wondrous thing?

sC4Q4nq.jpg

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Roger Ebert wrote some great stuff.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular

this is one of those moments when you're sad that he never got to see it and sad that you'll never know what he thought

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

this is one of those moments when you're sad that he never got to see it and sad that you'll never know what he thought

Regardless of how he felt about the movie overall, I think he'd have had a lot of interesting things to say about it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Are there any iconic voices of judgement left in the world? I honestly could not care less what current reviewers think of the movie. I'm listening to podcasts, and such, but I'm really curious to see if anyone else has an opinion held up as high as Ebert's was.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Just finished season 5 of the Clone Wars. The last story arc is really good.

Related question: Has anyone read Dark Disciple which is appearently the last canon apperance of Ventress? Is it any good?

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    he was a unique voice, and he'd seen more movies than probably anyone in the world - certainly anyone actively writing. you can't ring-in with that. that's the shame as we go forward - will there be anyone left who approached the whole series, from episode IV, with expert knowledge and a popular critic's mind? it's certainly not the bulk of what we read

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Here's one of my favorite Ebert quotes about Battle: LA
    Here's a science-fiction film that's an insult to the words "science" and "fiction," and the hyphen in between them.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Here's one of my favorite Ebert quotes about Battle: LA
    Here's a science-fiction film that's an insult to the words "science" and "fiction," and the hyphen in between them.

I have a lot of his books

My favorite quote of his comes from a review for a movie called Mad Dog Time
    "Mad Dog Time" is the first movie I have seen that does not improve on the sight of a blank screen viewed for the same length of time. Oh, I've seen bad movies before. But they usually made me care about how bad they were. Watching "Mad Dog Time" is like waiting for the bus in a city where you're not sure they have a bus line.

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.