As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG thread: save the drama for yo mama

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Battle speed being slow is maybe my biggest gripe with FFIX

It takes a fucking ice age just to get through random battles even when you're one shotting enemies

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that's one of the main reasons I gave up on skies of arcadia

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Solution: Get Aika Lambda Burst as soon as possible and nuke all monsters on Turn 1.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Tales of Eternia update: just got Volt. The game is great and fun and pretty but man does the plot take a backseat. I don't think anything's happened since Inferia declared war on Celestia. At least now I have all the Craymels so the "get all the things" part of the plot should finally be moved on from.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

that shit was BUFFED in the GC version and the encounter rate was nerfed

the dreamcast version is a goddamn slog

if the game wasn't so good, I would written it off, but man is it solid

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

that shit was BUFFED in the GC version and the encounter rate was nerfed

the dreamcast version is a goddamn slog

if the game wasn't so good, I would written it off, but man is it solid

Fun fact: The Dreamcast version would chug when a random battle was about to activate. Pretty sure I remember being able to pause and unpause to avoid battles.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I played the GC version and still thought it was interminable even after aika got her board wipe

basically I was onboard for the ship battles, because they were definitely sick, but eventually I got tired of the shitty standard combat and the boring characters

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I stopped playing right before the boss at the end of the first dungeon but my gripe with Hope so far is that what his character is intended to be based on the datalog is nowhere what's being shown during the cutscenes. I'd love to see Datalog-Hope appear and actually show some emotion but all we get is Mopey-Hope who acts like an 8 year old when he's supposed to be like 13.

• Options
    Well, ToE sure got pretty cool after Balir's castle.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Why do these fucking Magic Vices always go STRAIGHT FOR MUGGING MY ELIXIRS

I don't even ever use elixirs, Magic Pots aside

That just sends me straight to reset town

edit: THIRD TIME

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Oh man

I forgot that... I kind of... hate Beatrice so much

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Beatrix both looks the coolest and is the coolest

• Options
    edited April 2016
    As cool a one-eyed swordswoman she may be, she was totes OK* with the slaughter of an entire city, and I'm assuming she's going to be OK with a whole lot more before I kick her butt (metaphorically, physically, or otherwise)

*not just OK... she was even pretty blasé about it? Like "Are any of you chumpos going to give me a fight *yawn, either stabbing them defenseless townsfolk or I dunno maybe she can't see the black mages roasting the populace because it's in her blind spot*"

Really looking forward to how the game will try to justify that

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Why do these fucking Magic Vices always go STRAIGHT FOR MUGGING MY ELIXIRS

I don't even ever use elixirs, Magic Pots aside

That just sends me straight to reset town

edit: THIRD TIME

It pisses me off when enemies can yank high-value items like that at will and then flee into the night forever, barring a reset.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    As cool a one-eyed swordswoman she may be, she was totes OK* with the slaughter of an entire city, and I'm assuming she's going to be OK with a whole lot more before I kick her butt (metaphorically, physically, or otherwise)

*not just OK... she was even pretty blasé about it? Like "Are any of you chumpos going to give me a fight *yawn, either stabbing them defenseless townsfolk or I dunno maybe she can't see the black mages roasting the populace because it's in her blind spot*"

Really looking forward to how the game will try to justify that

Beatrix does as her sovereign commands, one might consider her adherent to the codes of chivalry.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Beatrix also has the best theme.

(Which is saying a lot because I love FF9's soundtrack)

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    When I was a kiddo I named our (one-eyed) cat Beatrix because Beatrix was a woman in a JRPG who was allowed to use something other than magic/ healing powers.

Little Didge was willing to overlook some atrocities for that

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    there's gonna be a new ffxv livestream tomorrow

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    there's gonna be a new ffxv livestream tomorrow

!!!!!

Yesss give me more juicy deets like when my next episode of the an...imated show will be released.

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    When I was a kiddo I named our (one-eyed) cat Beatrix because Beatrix was a woman in a JRPG who was allowed to use something other than magic/ healing powers.

I totally understand the feeling! And if I had played this game early in my JRPG career, maybe I'd have felt the same? We're comparatively spoiled (sorta!) these days with stronger, non-magic based female characters.

I do love chivalrous/knightly types (boy do I). But if they're being directed by evil people, I enjoy them mostly when they're conflicted about orders or at least somewhat reticent.

Naming a one-eyed cat Beatrix is still really awesome though. :D

signature.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Jeez @SilverWind stop playing so fast. You and I started at the same time and yet I've barely begun the Evil Forest. (Just kidding, I just haven't had much time lately and I spent a lot of time (too much) trying to get to 50 on the jump rope game with Vivi.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    http://www.finalfantasyxv.com/chocobo/

Alright I really love these chocobo designs.

• Options

I saw that

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular

I totally understand the feeling! And if I had played this game early in my JRPG career, maybe I'd have felt the same? We're comparatively spoiled (sorta!) these days with stronger, non-magic based female characters.

I do love chivalrous/knightly types (boy do I). But if they're being directed by evil people, I enjoy them mostly when they're conflicted about orders or at least somewhat reticent.

Yeah I was just teasing your fondness for Xander :P

Beatrix's aloofness combined with her power overwhelming is something I found a little horrifying as a kid, honestly. I won't go into detail as you're far from completing the game, but FFIX throws super dark at times.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    http://www.finalfantasyxv.com/chocobo/

Alright I really love these chocobo designs.

This is relevant to my interests and I think these are pretty great.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Jeez @SilverWind stop playing so fast. You and I started at the same time and yet I've barely begun the Evil Forest. (Just kidding, I just haven't had much time lately and I spent a lot of time (too much) trying to get to 50 on the jump rope game with Vivi.)

The key is to stop doing minigames, except for Chocobo Hot and Cold! Or at least, that's what I had to do to advance in this game. There are way too many lengthy and super onerous minigames, and this is honestly my fourth, or even fifth or sixth attempt at FF9. I've made a commitment to actually get to the end thiiiis time. :P

Shen wrote: »

Yeah I was just teasing your fondness for Xander :P

Beatrix's aloofness combined with her power overwhelming is something I found a little horrifying as a kid, honestly. I won't go into detail as you're far from completing the game, but FFIX throws super dark at times.

I'd be happy to hear your further thoughts when I get further! And yeah... I do have really lengthy demands regarding chivalrous characters, I know :lol:

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options

The key is to stop doing minigames, except for Chocobo Hot and Cold! Or at least, that's what I had to do to advance in this game. There are way too many lengthy and super onerous minigames, and this is honestly my fourth, or even fifth or sixth attempt at FF9. I've made a commitment to actually get to the end thiiiis time. :P

Oh sweet Jesus. That was the reason why I was never able to finish Final Fantasy 8 either. Am I doomed????

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options

Oh sweet Jesus. That was the reason why I was never able to finish Final Fantasy 8 either. Am I doomed????

Draw the line! Say no to minigames. Especially to Tetra Master, which seems like a total randomized mess, as explained by Maddoc a few pages ago, and it's not like you can even break down the cards into awesome items like in FF8.

Chocobo Hot and Cold actually gives decent rewards and is pretty fun, so I'll have that be my one exception.

signature.png
  • Options
    Heh, yeah. I already swore not to play Tetra Master but then I got it in my head that I wanted to see the moogle exclaim to Steiner that they saw some kid jump 50 times. I really would be in trouble if I try to find every Easter egg and rare dialogue tree.

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »

I saw that

...eh?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Tales of Eternia update: just got Volt. The game is great and fun and pretty but man does the plot take a backseat. I don't think anything's happened since Inferia declared war on Celestia. At least now I have all the Craymels so the "get all the things" part of the plot should finally be moved on from.

Eternia will forever have a place in my heart for having one of the coolest final boss battles...

If you played it right.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I saw that

...eh?

unintentional kill bill reference.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Oooohhhhh

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

I saw that

...eh?

gary????

• Options

I saw that

Oh good someone else made the post

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

I saw that

...eh?

gary????

yes

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Eternia will forever have a place in my heart for having one of the coolest final boss battles...

If you played it right.

Oh boy, are there multiple endings I need to worry about or something?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Got to Treno, and just bought out the Auction House

Auctions aren't nearly as fun when the snooty rich people don't go into conniptions at how the little punk kid just blew their bids out of the water

(Wind Waker spoiled me)

Still, it was enjoyable!

signature.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Wonder if the game gives the option of letting the rich people win their bids then you filch the goods so they leave empty-handed while you walk away whistling.

• Options
    That would also be a perfectly respectable option! But not one that exists, unfortunately. I think.

signature.png
This discussion has been closed.