As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Don't let the bed bugs bite"

StarLabsStarLabs Registered User new member
I'm new at this and wasn't sure what category it goes in... But
I used to think bed bugs didn't exist, that " don't let the bed bugs bite" was just some metaphor. Then, I actually got them when I moved in an apartment building. We told our super that we had them and he said he gave us papers on what to do and the fumigator came a few days later... We then 1 month later got new beds. ( thinking they were gone) and we soon discovered that the bastards were still there... Like wtf do we do now? I can't even sleep anymore and I always feel like they're crawling on me

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Bed bugs don't just infest your bed. They infest your entire building. If you have them. Your neighbor probably has them. Without everyone taking precautions, the infestation really won't end.

Have you asked neighbors? Generally everyone has to wrap stuff in plastic for a while after a pest control sweep of all the effected units is done. It has to all sort of happen at the same time throughout the floor/building.

What you do now is call your apartment manager and tell them the bugs are back. If you're on good terms with your neighbors you ask them to do the same. There are states where failure to manage a problem like this actually terminates a rental agreement, so most places will do whatever they need to.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    What do you do? You break your lease, get rid of everything you own (everything) and move.

Edit: Bed bugs is one of those "get out of a lease free" cards in most states.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I've done bed bug removal for a multi unit facility, and it does take some compliance from the neighbors, but the management needs to be willing to go the distance. Generally it requires treating your apartment, the ones next to yours, depending on the way your apartment building is designed, above and under. And they need to be treated multiple times, bag up all unecessary bedding and linen in dissolving bags, then wash everything on hot and rebag all unecessary items and store them elsewhere. Have all of your rooms and your car treated. It takes about 3-5 treatments before they go away for good.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Yo. I just dealt with a bed bug situmation myself.

Depending on the state, you may have tenant laws that absolve you of responsibility. So look into that.

Otherwise, how the infestation began is almost impossible to prove so in a lot of cases the landlord will shunt responsibility onto the tenant. I don't know the legality of breaking a lease and using a scorched earth policy. I'd be wary of litigation. Especially since the landlord knows about the infestation.

Unfortunately, fumigation seems to be almost useless since the little shits can get where the chemicals can't settle, which is required to kill them. The best bet is heat remediation (which is what I ended up having to do.)

There are pros and cons to this.

Pro: It's very effective. They bring in a couple of heaters (1 per room) and crank the temp up to like 140 or 150 degrees Fahrenheit. This kills them regardless of where they're hiding at all stages of their life cycle. So furniture, beds, carpets, walls, picture frames you name it.

Cons: it's really expensive. Some companies will charge by the room, some by the square foot. The square foot option actually comes out cheaper in a lot of cases. I had to pay $1 per 1 sq ft and I live in a 1200 sq ft apartment so it's not going to be cheap unfortunately. Make sure whoever you use has some kind of 30 day guarantee or something.

You maybe able to get the landlord to foot the bill entirely or possibly split it since it's in their best interest to clean it up as quickly as possible, as well.

But if you determine you can safely toss up some deuces and get out of there then buying new furniture may be the cheapest of all options. Be sure to bag your clothes and bedding in trash bags and take them to a coin laundromat and run them through the dryers once or twice. That will kill anything that might be living on it. Then put them into NEW BAGS afterwards.

I know how awful it can be an hope this helps you maybe get it taken care of a little quicker.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Yo. I just dealt with a bed bug situmation myself.

Depending on the state, you may have tenant laws that absolve you of responsibility. So look into that.

Otherwise, how the infestation began is almost impossible to prove so in a lot of cases the landlord will shunt responsibility onto the tenant. I don't know the legality of breaking a lease and using a scorched earth policy. I'd be wary of litigation. Especially since the landlord knows about the infestation.

Unfortunately, fumigation seems to be almost useless since the little shits can get where the chemicals can't settle, which is required to kill them. The best bet is heat remediation (which is what I ended up having to do.)

There are pros and cons to this.

Pro: It's very effective. They bring in a couple of heaters (1 per room) and crank the temp up to like 140 or 150 degrees Fahrenheit. This kills them regardless of where they're hiding at all stages of their life cycle. So furniture, beds, carpets, walls, picture frames you name it.

Cons: it's really expensive. Some companies will charge by the room, some by the square foot. The square foot option actually comes out cheaper in a lot of cases. I had to pay $1 per 1 sq ft and I live in a $1200 sq ft apartment so it's not going to be cheap unfortunately. Make sure whoever you use has some kind of 30 day guarantee or something.

You maybe able to get the landlord to foot the bill entirely or possibly split it since it's in their best interest to clean it up as quickly as possible, as well.

But if you determine you can safely toss up some deuces and get out of there then buying new furniture may be the cheapest of all options. Be sure to bag your clothes and bedding in trash bags and take them to a coin laundromat and run them through the dryers once or twice. That will kill anything that might be living on it. Then put them into NEW BAGS afterwards.

I know how awful it can be an hope this helps you maybe get it taken care of a little quicker.

This was our experience - we moved to a new apt in the same complex, and first night discovered bed bugs. Some comments to add to the above:

Terminex wanted to do a 'cold spray', which is basically spraying dry ice... which is great at killing anything visible, but similar to fumigation, useless at actually killing them completely. We basically forced the complex to pay for heat treating (by not so veiled threatening to make them pay for replacing all of our stuff).

For us, we very carefully checked and moved electronics out ahead of time, heat treated (without staying in the apt afterwards), and then very rapidly moved everything to a new (clean) apartment, WITH careful checking. Heat treatment was better, but we still found one alive wrapped under layers in a cowl-necked sweater, so you really have to check everything. It also destroyed a few things (some clothes shrunk to the point of uselessness, a ski helmet basically disintegrated, etc).

Keep in mind that they're attracted to CO2 - so in our case, they only came out when we first stayed in the apartment and must've been in the walls.

Good luck - it was one of the worst few weeks I ever experienced :bigfrown:

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    ...What happened to the old effort (I think it was in the 90s?) to utterly exterminate the bed bug population in North America? As I understand it, it was going quite well for a while.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2016
    The Ender wrote: »
    ...What happened to the old effort (I think it was in the 90s?) to utterly exterminate the bed bug population in North America? As I understand it, it was going quite well for a while.
    Turns out killing a small, fast-breeding species is tricky in an age of unparalleled global travel.

Bed bugs are fuckers.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Turns out killing a small, fast-breeding species is tricky in an age of unparalleled global travel.

Bed bugs are fuckers.

they're also ridiculously adaptable to pesticides.

this is by no means a complete solution, but if you don't have pets, you might want to try putting down diatomaceous earth around your apartment. the stuff kills beg bugs through a mechanical process by scraping off their chitin and causing them to dehydrate. it's fairly cheap to get at hardware stores.

this doesn't solve the larger problem of a building wide infestation though...

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    House Centepedes eat bedbugs. Just release a bunch of these guys in your building:

Spoilered for lots and lots of legs
    house-centipede_s4x3.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.1280.960.jpeg

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    House Centepedes eat bedbugs. Just release a bunch of these guys in your building:

Spoilered for lots and lots of legs
    house-centipede_s4x3.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.1280.960.jpeg

They also work for getting rid of excess spiders and low levels of terror.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    If you do/can break your lease and move, I had a friend who had bedbugs and they did the heat treating of their belongings in the back of the moving truck (not while moving. They loaded everything up, parked the truck, and then did the treating. They also kept a very close eye on things to make sure no fires were caught). They didn't see any bedbugs after that.