Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PBP] FFG Star Wars: Echoes of the Force [IC/OOC]

17891012

Posts

  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    DE-902

    A thorough optical survey of the cavern was quite an undertaking, between the dust and the lighting conditions. Scanning the walls and floors from top to bottom around the roughly 100 meter diameter, the droid began to construct a virtual representation of its surroundings. Over the next hour or so, the 3d image started to take shape.

    The final image turned over and over in DE-902's virtual processing space, still revealing very little. More binary text resolved when viewed at a wide angle, but it was still only in snippets.

    His coolant injectors clicking in frustration, DE-902 gave the virtual construct a vicious mental shove, imparting a yaw and spin to it. The swirling lines, dots and images all swirl together. The droid's processor groans and pants with effort as a new cycle of calculations emerges from the virtuality. The construct explodes in size, filling the virtual space it occupied and leaking out into other systems.

    DE-902's motor controls faltered as its processors were forced into safe mode. Whiteness overtook the droid's perceptions.

    Text errupted from the colorless void of droid consciousness.

    I am so very sorry, Metal one.

    What is happening to you is my doing. The necessity is unfortunate, but unavoidable. In time I hope you will be able to forgive me for involving you in this, but until then know only that they will need you if they are to survive this. And now you will need them in much the same way.

    Right now, your core processors are running a program that will bury information crucial to your further survival in parts of you that you may only access when it is necessary. I appologize for this precaution, but revealing the scope of it in its entirety would put you in even more danger. Please believe me, this is the safest route available.

    The things that you now know will be of great interest to your companions, and to your pursuers. It is vital that you exercise proper caution with the information you uncover as it emerges. If either of our Brothers learns of this, they will pursue you relentlessly to retrieve this knowledge. Again, I am deeply sorry for the weight placed on you, and on your companions. There was no other way.

    In time, your system will restart and your new allies will return from their journeys. When that happens, you must leave this place. He will be coming, though he will not appear the same to you. Be vigilant, Metal One. We will be watching, but our ability to help you across these centuries is limited.


    DE-902's sensors kicked back on, revealing him to be laying prone on the floor of the cavern. Motor control returned slowly, but completely.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    Seth

    "I'm... not sure. As part of my training I am passing familiar with Force traditions outside of the Jedi, but this is beyond me..."

    Sorry for the lame-o post but I'm stumped! It feels weird piloting this other character around and I have no idea what their motivations are, and given their predicament Seth would be a 'look don't touch' kinda guy

  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Nuun/Uther

    The two Sisters flitted about the room, one as though flying, the other bouncing from shadow to shadow. The blades of their lightsabers arced out and down, carving channels into the otherwise-rough stone. The view from their perspectives, for those not used to such movement, was dizzying. The troughs cut into the rocks glowed from the heat of the impromptu plasma torches. Soon, pictograms and individual dots joined the slashes, seemingly at random.

    The Shadow finished first, sliding to a stop just out of the light. "It is done, Sister. We must go."

    Still aloft, the Oracle nodded her avian head. "Yes, they will be expecting us. Take care of yourself, Fool. Take care of the fool, Flier. And both of you must see to the Metal One.

    Keo/Seth

    "Uncertainty is unbecoming, Old Man."

    The dark lips parted in a smile, revealing pointed teeth. Moving across the chamber, the tall form approached a cart pushed by one of the other humanoids. Full of crystals of various shapes and sizes, the worker was struggling to push it along its path. A wave of a bone-white hand stopped him in his tracks. The Sister's lanky form spent several seconds leaning over the cart, her hands picking deftly through the crystals contained within. Eventually she stood, her hands closed around a few choice examples. Walking to the nearby wall, she ignited her lightsaber, also white as bone, and carved a small hole in the rock, dropping the crystals in. "You will be needing these, I think. I assume that even you know what is to be done with them, yes?"

    Covering the opening with a rock, she turned to face the Beast. "We must be going, Sister. We must get to the Citadel before He does. As must you, our new Brothers. Time is of the essence."

    All

    Reality swirls around you. The sounds of impromptu orbital bombardment reassert themselves. You taste dust in the air.

    You are lying flat on your back in the caldera. Somewhere, relatively far away, a regular clicking is sounding.

    Current Destiny Pool: 6 Light, 1 Dark

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special Registered User regular
    Nuun

    "Did....did anyone else see that? Or am I about to wake up in another Imperial infirmary?"

    Nuun stared up into the darkness above him, trying to make any sense of what he just saw. His head spun and he blinked heavily to clear the spots from his vision.

    "Does the Force always feel like this?"

    XBL: F4ll0ut Wolfoid | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Keo

    "I hope not." Keo groaned, trying to pull himself upright.

    From a sitting position the soldier looked around in the dim light. "Everyone okay? Uther? Seth?"

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Uther

    Uther growls as he gets back to his feet. "You know...I'm getting real tired of being called a Fool by a ghost that's been dead for thousands of years..."

    Shaking his head, he takes a look around the chamber. Trying to find the same columns and rock faces that he saw the spirits carving in his vision...still not sure himself if he's going to study them or destroy them out of spite.

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    DE-902

    "Were I organic," the droid grumbled, "I would be concerned for my sanity." It attempted to sit up. "We should leave, I believe it is no longer safe."

  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Keo

    "I second that."

    The trooper struggled to his feet.

    "But first, one of the... visions... said we would need something. She hid it in a hole in one of the walls."

    Keo stared at the walls, trying to discern which one she had approached in his vision, then shakes his head and turns toward the old man, still lying on the ground.

    "Seth, did you see exactly what she was referring to?"

  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    Seth

    Seth groaned and sat up. "Yes, I remember."

    He made his way to his feet, feeling his old bones creak the whole way.

    You are a strange one, he thought to himself, moving to the spot his passenger had indicated.

    "It should be..." he said, rummaging around until he found the cubby.

    "Here."

  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    All

    Beneath Seth's hand, the rock crumbled and slid away. The old man's hand disappeared into the hole, reemerging a moment later clutching 4 irregular, softly glowing crystals.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Uther

    Uther also wanders off to find the site of his portion of the vision, the patterns of scratches made by the Oracle and her sister. He draws his new lightsaber and concentrates to ignite it. Holding that focus and using the purple light it casts to aid him in his studies.

    As he looks around, he also things about the lightsaber itself. Wondering why it would need such intense focus to keep it lit. If it was a flaw, maybe it could be fixed. If it was a feature....it seemed very inefficient. In a scrap, Uther would much rather have his focus available to add to a punch or some telekinesis rather than keeping all of his scant power focused the weapon.

    OOC:
    What would I need to roll to try to make sense of the markings? And speaking of crystals....what would Uther need to do to repair the lightsaber he found?

  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The markings are going to be pretty hard to decipher unless you're willing to spend a ton of time doing so. There are so many of them, and there's not much to tell you where to start. If you can read binary, there's a bit of writing here and there.

    How much does Uther know about lightsabers?

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Uther knows whatever one rank in the Lightsaber skill allows him to know. He was trained back in the day like any youngling about to be chosen as a padawan. Order 66 came just before he would have gone on his crystal gathering quest.

  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Then he would probably know that it seems like the crystal in the saber is off-kilter somehow. That's why the Force die investment helps; you're effectively stabilizing it for use. Without opening it up, it's impossible to tell exactly what that means for the internal workings of the lightsaber or what you'd have to do to fix it permanently.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Keo

    "Kyber crystals?" The trooper questioned, looking over Seth's shoulder.

    "She also said something about a Citadel, do you know what she was talking about?"
    Sorry guys I thought I posted this two days ago, its been sitting in my drafts for a few days I guess!

  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    Seth

    "Yes," he said, pulling the small stones free and shaking them in his hand a little bit. "It's been a long, long time since I've held one," he said, smiling despite himself. "I can only hazard a guess, but everything we've seen so far points to the project in the mountains that holds the ship. I suspect whoever this warrior is, or whatever he is, will be waiting for us there."

    Seth tucked the crystals away. "We can sort out what to do with them once things have settled down, once we're off this planet," he said, looking to his friends. "We should get moving."

    Yeah I'm pretty much the worst, this past week steamrolled me. I have posted!

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Uther


    "Alright then..." Uther says, "We go looking for a fight. Before we do...lets see if we can fix this thing, yeah?"

    Uther holds out the malfunctioning 'saber to Seth. "You still remember how to build one of these, old man?"

  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    All

    The distant clicking sounds are getting louder. Though they still seen fairly far away.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    DE-902

    The droid stares intently, eager to observe the impending repair process.
    Who can make a repair check for the saber? Is it Discipline, Lore, Mechanics, or something else?

  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    Fiddling with lightsabers requires Lore checks as well as a working knowledge of the device gotten from somewhere (usually a teacher or a holocron)

    I will make a post soon about this but the long and short of it is we need tools and time to crack it open safely

    At this point I think Seth is the only one who knows the process of construction, that will change of course when we aren't being chased by angry time walking force ghosts

  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    Seth

    Seth nodded, taking the weapon and inspecting it carefully. "I have the knowledge but it takes some time. It's more than just taking off a panel and tightening a loose bolt," he said quietly, handing the weapon back.

  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    For anyone curious the method for constructing a lightsaber is detailed in the GM's Kit; here's a snip of the rules:

    Once the character obtains the materials, he can construct a lightsaber hilt by succeeding on an Average (2 Purple) Mechanics or Knowledge (Lore) check. If the
    character does not have access to information on how to construct a lightsaber (such as via a holocron or other data archive) the GM can either decide that he may not attempt to construct it, or he can increase the difficulty to Daunting (4 purple). Assembling the hilt requires three days of careful concentration and assembly.

    This check is unaided; Mechanics is also the only skill applicable when installing mods on crystals. Luckily installing a crystal doesn't require a check so depending on what Zed says we may be able to just re-seat the crystal in the lightsaber we have, but creating one from scratch is pretty much out of the question here

    The details for modding your own lightsaber crystal are on page 197

    The cool thing about constructing your own lightsaber is you get a free mod installation on your crystal when everything is said and done

    ArcanisTheImpotent on
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Keo

    "This is all fascinating, but what is that sound anyway? Which direction do we even go to find this ship you say is here?"
    Actually lightsaber construction really is fascinating! @OptimusZed is there a second exit from this room?

  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    There are a number of other shafts like the one you came in. The sound is coming from the opposite direction of the speeder.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    All
    Narrasplosion Time!

    The chamber shook, and a thunderous calamity sounded through it. A series of cracks sounded from the ceiling, accompanied by actual cracks growing from a point just off-center. Chunks of rock, small at first, began to separate and fall, smashing themselves on the floor below. A great rift opened up at the intersection of cracks in the ceiling, and humanoid-sized boulders began to fall. Shafts of light appeared, sparkling red and orange in the dust of the chamber.

    A huge wedge of Imperial white dropped awkwardly into the chamber, thoroughly shattering the rock of the roof and showering those below with debris. Sparks fill the cavern, bouncing out amid the dust. Under the weight of the intruding shape, the cavern floor buckles and cracks. Red lights flash and panels shear off from the impact. The sound is deafening. The air turns nearly opaque with dust and debris, colored red and yellow by the lights. For a moment, everything is still.

    @Khildith @ArcanisTheImpotent @Steelhawk @Custom Special @jdarksun

    Give me Coordination rolls against 4eD to avoid being crushed or battered by debris. Failures are Wounds, threats are Strain.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special Registered User regular
    Geth roll 4eA+4eD to not get crushed

    to not get crushed:
    4eA+4eD 1 failure, 1 threat [4eA=A/A, S/A, -, -] [4eD=Th/Th, Th, F/F, Th]

    XBL: F4ll0ut Wolfoid | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Geth roll 4eA+4eD to dodge a cave-in!

    to dodge a cave-in!:
    4eA+4eD 0 successes, 1 advantage [4eA=-, A/A, -, A/A] [4eD=-, Th/Th, -, Th]

  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    Geth roll 2eA+4eD to dodge rocks

    to dodge rocks:
    2eA+4eD 1 success, 2 threat [2eA=A, S/S] [4eD=F, Th, Th, Th]

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Uther dives to the side, but still gets clipped with some falling rocks.

    Geth, roll 2eA+4eD to Dodge Rocks

    to Dodge Rocks:
    2eA+4eD 1 failure, 2 threat [2eA=A/A, S] [4eD=F/F, Th, Th/Th, Th]

    Steelhawk on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    All

    After what seems like an eternity, the tumult within the chamber finally subsides. Chunks of rock still fall from the ceiling, but they are smaller now and their impacts quieter. The chaotic scene around you is lit in alternating green and red, pulsing just out of time with each other. Through the new haze of dust you can make out a massive chunk of hull, painted Imperial white where the surface wasn't mangled and sheared as it pierced the ground.

    Electrical sparks issue from punctures in the hull. What appears to be some sort of maintenance hatch is suspended roughly 2 meters from the floor, closed and surrounded by the blinking red lights that are illuminating the chamber.

    What to you do?

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Uther

    Uther grunts as he stands up, trying to massage his kindey's where the falling rocks hit him...only to give up trying to soothe the muscles through the laminate armor he was wearing. Waving away settling dust in the air, Uther moves towards the ship and stands directly below the hatch. Remembering that he indeed took an entire suit of Stormtrooper armor, he withdraws the helmet from his belt hook and plops it on his head, now breathing the filtered air and not air filled with dust.

    "Well...that's handy." he remarks, gathering the Force for a leap. Uther intends to leap up, grab a handhold and open the maintenance hatch.

  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Uther can definately make that jump assuming he's got the proper Force abilities. I'm not near my books, so I'm not sure how jumping actually works.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    DE-902

    The droid did not fare well as the rocks fell, taking several direct hits from larger chunks of stone.

    @OptimusZed It's pretty much just whatever Athletics difficulty you want to set.

    Geth, roll 1eA+4eD for avoiding being crushed or battered by debris

    Wounds 3/13
    Strain 2/13

    avoiding being crushed or battered by debris:
    1eA+4eD 3 failures, 2 threat [1eA=-] [4eD=F/F, -, Th, F/Th]

    jdarksun on
    OptimusZed
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Uther can definately make that jump assuming he's got the proper Force abilities. I'm not near my books, so I'm not sure how jumping actually works.
    I have enough in the Enhance power to add a Force die to any athletic endeavours, but not the actual Force Leap usage. It was more for descriptive fluff anyway...

  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Uther can definately make that jump assuming he's got the proper Force abilities. I'm not near my books, so I'm not sure how jumping actually works.
    I have enough in the Enhance power to add a Force die to any athletic endeavours, but not the actual Force Leap usage. It was more for descriptive fluff anyway...
    Uther should be fine. It's a big jump, though. Give me athletics against 3eD+1eS for doing this in the space Nazi getup.

    Edit: autocorrect is hell on die codes.

    OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    i don't have time to narrate it but I want Seth to help Uther out so take a boost from me

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Uther

    Uther easily gathers his power (And a little bit of an assist? Was that how it feels to have two Force users working together?) and uses to spring straight up the two meters to the hatch. Securing his grip, he works to open the door...

    Geth, roll 3eA+1eP+1eF+1eB+3eD+1eS for Jumping...

    Jumping:
    3eA+1eP+1eF+1eB+3eD+1eS 3 successes, 1 Dark Side [3eA=S, S/S, -] [1eP=S/S] [1eF=DS] [1eB=S] [3eD=-, F/F, -] [1eS=F]

    Steelhawk on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Uther

    The outside of the hatch, which is roughly 1x1.5 meters, is smooth metal. There does not appear to be any sort of handle or operating mechanism on this side. The seals seem to have somehow survived the impact intact.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    A pretty big one. Beyond that, there isn't really a lot to go on. Not a ton of stuff in the Imperial Navy at this weight class, though.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
Sign In or Register to comment.