As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thoughts on driving for Uber?

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited January 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
I was looking for a part-time job to help fund a trip to Japan this year, and since no one bit, I think I'm going with this. Any experiences? Do I have to dread crazy passengers or car-jackers, or is it by-and-large legit? I have a new car and a clean record, so I'm good on that front.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    @mcdermott drove for them I think. I believe he said he made roughly minimum wage, after factoring in expenses.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I've never driven for them but I do use Uber and Lyft fairly frequently and I like talking to my drivers.

And the response is usually the same. If you want to make any real money you have to drive for both and just patrol the weekend closing times.

Nobody I've talked to has gotten jacked but I'm sure it has happened.

And if you want to be the best driver in the world, I always tip more if they have phone chargers or bottled water. Awesome drivers who patrol closing times have Gatorade too. Just putting that out there.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I also use it a lot and heard similar. Depending on the area, there are apps like Favor and Postmates which are more like delivery services but for any restaurant you can imagine. I know most drivers do more than one of those at the same time. You can make a lot of money hanging around bars around closing time but those are the more raucous and 'sick' type if you'd rather avoid vomit and stuff like that.

It depends on the city too, people commute into Austin because it has better rates and more surge time (better pay during high demand hours) than San Antonio or Houston.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I have a friend who only drives during surge hours, so Friday and Saturday nights from 11:00pm to 3:00am and on Holidays. This is in Los Angeles. He spends a lot of time in Koreatown and (downtown) Chinatown. He makes decent money, but it's just pocket money for him.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    You might have problems with car insurance if you drive for Uber or Lyft. My understanding is that car insurers will not cover accidents you get into while driving for one of those services, and the companies themselves definitely won't cover it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Cambiata wrote: »
    You might have problems with car insurance if you drive for Uber or Lyft. My understanding is that car insurers will not cover accidents you get into while driving for one of those services, and the companies themselves definitely won't cover it.

I'm not sure if they have an exemption for those two companies specifically, but you absolutely do need a different auto policy if you're using you vehicle as part of your job, even if that's just delivering newspapers.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

I'm not sure if they have an exemption for those two companies specifically, but you absolutely do need a different auto policy if you're using you vehicle as part of your job, even if that's just delivering newspapers.

From what I've read it's particularly difficult to get coverage if you work for one of those two companies.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    My mom does Uber driving on the weekend. She hasn't had any crazy people, and keeps pepper spray within arms reach just in case, most of the time she does airport runs, but she tries to stay away from DC even though that is where the most money is.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

From what I've read it's particularly difficult to get coverage if you work for one of those two companies.

It's not hard to get insurance, it's hard to get COLLISION (or really expensive). I work for an insurance company-not one that covers Uber drivers, but I work in the claims for department for New York, and I've come across a single uber/lyft/taxi that has collision.

So if you get in an accident, you better hope it's the other person's fault or you'll be stuck with the repairs and down time.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I've never driven for them but I do use Uber and Lyft fairly frequently and I like talking to my drivers.

And the response is usually the same. If you want to make any real money you have to drive for both and just patrol the weekend closing times.

And if you want to be the best driver in the world, I always tip more if they have phone chargers or bottled water. Awesome drivers who patrol closing times have Gatorade too. Just putting that out there.

How do tips work? Uber explicitly does not allow tips through the payment app... do you tip in cash or something? I've never tipped an Uber driver and their driver education video says not to expect one.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Lyft has a tip dialogue that pops up after each ride. Uber I've never used so I wouldn't know - cash maybe?

I had a friend do it as a side job on top of his 9-5, and he made enough money over a year to pay for a vacation to Europe. But that was a few years ago, and from talking to drivers now (I use Lyft somewhat regularly, maybe twice a month or so), it sounds like it is much harder to make money as there is more down time. Ironically, the more popular the service, the more drivers there are, so you sometimes have a lot more competition than you would expect over the same fares.

I would echo that you probably want to focus on driving during peak periods and busy areas (depending upon where you are). Also, the type of car you drive (specifically, the mileage and long-term reliability) are huge factors in whether or not you will actually make a return on the fare. Driving your car for a few hundred extra miles each week will significantly eat into the lifespan of the vehicle, so you should factor that in the cost up front, especially if it will move you out of your initial dealer warranty very prematurely.

If you just want something to make money on your down time, it sounds pretty slack. If you live in a busier area, you can literally just sit at home and watch TV like you normally would and just wait for random fares that pop up, and likely make a few hundred extra bucks a month. But if you have a serious financial goal that you want to hit, you will definitely have to treat it like a job-job and drive at hours that you normally wouldn't want to, including late at night.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Deadfall wrote: »

How do tips work? Uber explicitly does not allow tips through the payment app... do you tip in cash or something? I've never tipped an Uber driver and their driver education video says not to expect one.

The stated rule in the video was that you should say it's not necessary, but you can take it if they insist. Has to be cash, I assume.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DinoFightDinoFight Registered User regular
    You may have to clean vomit out of your car, but if you feel comfortable driving around strangers I say go for it. One piece of knowledge I can give you is that since you can sign in and out of economy-sharing systems like that at will, it's possible to drive for Uber, Lyft, and any other ride-sharing platform at the same time. I've seen a couple people switching between the two while driving me around; it probably helps them find customers quicker.

www.kendallshammer.com/posts-2
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Yeah I'll usually slip a fiver or a few ones if I have them.

But again that's if they have like car phone chargers or Gatorade or something. It's not every time. I figure if they're going to get me home safely after a trip to the bars and they keep me hydrated they deserve a few bucks.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    An aux cable so people plug in their phones and listen to their own music is a nice perk too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    This point needs to be repeated, and is one of the (many, many) reasons I distrust Uber and won't use them personally.

I can't find my original sources, but here's a Buzzfeed article, and relevant quote:
    Uber’s policy covers drivers once they have been matched with a fare and when they are carrying paying passengers.
    But there’s a period of time when Uber’s insurance may cover third parties but does not cover its drivers at all: when they are logged into the Uber app, waiting to be matched with a fare. During this trolling period, Uber leaves drivers in the lurch.
    Uber maintains that isn’t a problem, because drivers’ personal insurance will cover the trolling period. The company’s website claims that “during the time that a ridesharing partner is available but between trips, most personal auto insurance will provide coverage.” In response to queries last week, Uber maintained that “when the app is on but no ride has been accepted, many personal policies provide coverage.”
    Not so, say Allstate, State Farm, Progressive, and Geico. Those companies insist that their policies do not cover ridesharing activities of any type, including when the driver is logged in to the app but has not been matched with a fare.

Worst case scenario, you have a collision while logged in to your Uber app and neither company (Uber or your own insurance) will cover you. Best case scenario, you're just committing insurance fraud.

(Unless, of course, you register your car for commercial use and get commercial insurance, depending on your state etc. Which, together with the apparently mandatory bottled water and Gatorade, sounds like a lot of effort for a short-term part-time job paying minimum wage!)

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    An aux cable so people plug in their phones and listen to their own music is a nice perk too.

Fortunately I have that, and Sirius for like another month until the trial's over. :P
    Still waiting on approval, so we'll see if that goes through. I plan on sticking to the Broward area while I get my bearings, so I won't be driving anyone to Miami anytime soon(if ever).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    This point needs to be repeated, and is one of the (many, many) reasons I distrust Uber and won't use them personally.

I can't find my original sources, but here's a Buzzfeed article, and relevant quote:
    Uber’s policy covers drivers once they have been matched with a fare and when they are carrying paying passengers.
    But there’s a period of time when Uber’s insurance may cover third parties but does not cover its drivers at all: when they are logged into the Uber app, waiting to be matched with a fare. During this trolling period, Uber leaves drivers in the lurch.
    Uber maintains that isn’t a problem, because drivers’ personal insurance will cover the trolling period. The company’s website claims that “during the time that a ridesharing partner is available but between trips, most personal auto insurance will provide coverage.” In response to queries last week, Uber maintained that “when the app is on but no ride has been accepted, many personal policies provide coverage.”
    Not so, say Allstate, State Farm, Progressive, and Geico. Those companies insist that their policies do not cover ridesharing activities of any type, including when the driver is logged in to the app but has not been matched with a fare.

Worst case scenario, you have a collision while logged in to your Uber app and neither company (Uber or your own insurance) will cover you. Best case scenario, you're just committing insurance fraud.

(Unless, of course, you register your car for commercial use and get commercial insurance, depending on your state etc. Which, together with the apparently mandatory bottled water and Gatorade, sounds like a lot of effort for a short-term part-time job paying minimum wage!)

It's great to sit on a hypothetical high ground you would no way in hell support if the shoe were on the other foot, isn't it?

So you're logged into an app and you consider it insurance fraud if you try to make a regular claim in the event of an accident? Give me a break. If you're not driving someone at the time, you're not participating in ride sharing. It's that simple. The insurance companies will say anything they can to possibly get out of honouring a claim. Oh? You were uh.. logged into an app on your phone? Yeah, you're totally not allowed to file a claim. And don't you dare make a claim and not admit you had an app running on your phone.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

It's great to sit on a hypothetical high ground you would no way in hell support if the shoe were on the other foot, isn't it?

So you're logged into an app and you consider it insurance fraud if you try to make a regular claim in the event of an accident? Give me a break. If you're not driving someone at the time, you're not participating in ride sharing. It's that simple. The insurance companies will say anything they can to possibly get out of honouring a claim. Oh? You were uh.. logged into an app on your phone? Yeah, you're totally not allowed to file a claim. And don't you dare make a claim and not admit you had an app running on your phone.

I don't think he's defending it as a good idea. He's just clearly stating the way the regulation currently works. It's good advice?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    At the very least it's something to be aware of, because it sounds like you can potentially get screwed if you don't manage it properly.

• Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

What @Darkewolfe said. I'm not arguing for how it should be, I'm letting @cj iwakura know how it currently is. If you disagree, take it up with the insurance companies -- I can't do shit, and internet arguing isn't going to change anyone's mind.

Sure, if you got into a collision while running the app, you could probably just make a regular claim and not mention that fact. I'm not comfortable suggesting that course of action.
    At the very least it's something to be aware of, because it sounds like you can potentially get screwed if you don't manage it properly.
    I think the take-home message is really "neither your insurance companies or Uber are your friend, both will try to screw you over in the case of a collision, make sure you have everything sorted".

• Options
    I got approved, but apparently Broward requires a vehicle inspection.
    http://ubersouthflorida.com/broward

Even though they said I was good to go via txt. Thanks for leaving that little bit out.

Are rates listed anywhere? I can't seem to find anywhere that breaks down how earnings work.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    the prognosis isn't that grim. There's a lot of high-minded hate for rideshares from people who don't use them or drive for them, but it's not that complicated: Your insurance applies when you're not logged into uber. Uber's insurance applies when you have a fare. There's a hypothetical window, in some states, when you're using your car commercially after being hailed but before pickup, but it's not really a huge deal.

If you find yourself driving for uber full time, you might want to look into overcomplying, but you're aren't going to get sued the second you turn on the ap.

How good you do as an uber driver depends on a couple things:

How well you track use of your vehicle. If you track your usage for uber by the mile, and do a little extra work on tax day, your mileage and depreciation will offset your expenses pretty well.

How efficient of a driver you are to begin with - how well you navigate your city, how good your vehicle mileage is

How well your daily life interfaces with the desirable areas for cab rides. This is key. For example, say you are a college student/comedian. You go to an open mic, stay for the show, pick up fares afterwords that are going back to your student neighborhood - you just monetized something you were going to do anyway. But if you're a random dude that has to commute 40 minutes too and from the bar district? that's gonna eat your day.

If you're going to try to make an 8 hour day out of it like working for a yellowcab, it's not nearly as hourly efficient - you're hourly will get eaten up during dead times.

Uber is a near perfect part time job for the right person, but it turns back into work to try to full time it, absolutely.

the likelyhood of getting carjacked by a fare is almost nil since uber is cashless and the phones are all tracked data points. From that point of view, uber is safer than driving for a yellowcab. Sticking up cabbies is rarer and rarer, and would be dead entirely if cabbies didn't love lying about their card reader being broken.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    My approval went through today.

I'm going to clean my car and start driving in the Austin area this week!

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

did you get your jump suit and your gun?
    don't forget to work on your you talkin to me?!

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

Haha I might get you as a driver and never know

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Just introduce yourself to every driver with "Hello, I am Local H Jay, are you the Spool?"

• Options

Oh don't worry I will introduce myself to every fare like "hi, my internet name is spool32, do you know me?"

Then I'll just stare, unblinking, until they respond. Guaranteed 5 star ratings.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

Just introduce yourself to every driver with "Hello, I am Local H Jay, are you the Spool?"

This can't fail.

• Options
    the prognosis isn't that grim. There's a lot of high-minded hate for rideshares from people who don't use them or drive for them,

This isn't really fair. I use Uber in place of Taxis all the time, on account of every Taxi ride I've ever had has been awful, and every uber ride I've ever had has been great. But the insurance thing is something it's important for people to know about if they plan to drive for them.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Also the tax thing. I'm willing to bet drivers are contractors, and don't have taxes withheld. So that, and any other financial ramifications, are going to need thinking about.
    I just remembered, a buddy who had been driving a little for Lyft had been recommended to get a separate business license and to file returns both personally and as a business. Which is complicated and scary enough for him to say nah.

chromdom on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Also the tax thing. I'm willing to bet drivers are contractors, and don't have taxes withheld. So that, and any other financial ramifications, are going to need thinking about.
    I just remembered, a buddy who had been driving a little for Lyft had been recommended to get a separate business license and to file returns both personally and as a business. Which is complicated and scary enough for him to say nah.

Uber definitely believes that drivers are contractors with all that stuff you mentioned. Just how likely various courts are to agree with them is an open question.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    They lost that lawsuit in CA last year.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I can't imagine you would earn too much once you factor in the cost of gas/wear and tear on your vehicle.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Just had my first passenger, very cut and dry. $6.60 for around 15 minutes in Coral Springs, not bad at all.

Is there a way to see what a passenger's destination is prior to arrival?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I can't imagine you would earn too much once you factor in the cost of gas/wear and tear on your vehicle.

If you are careful with tracking your mileage, you can deduct this expense from your income taxes.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Welp, just did my first trip. Lady could not speak English, struggled to tell me where she wanted to go and did not enter it into the app. Luckily it was just a mile or so away. We managed just fine. :)

$3.20 in my pocket!

woo?

woo!

spool32 on
  • Options
    I managed great over the weekend, the downside is that A. I put 500 miles on my car in a week, and B. you can easily wind up going from Coral Springs to Miami because the app never says where your passenger is going.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Yeah, even from a passenger perspective it's harder to tell Uber where you're going. Lyft is way more straightforward in that regard, though I don't know if it tells drivers before the pickup.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

If you are careful with tracking your mileage, you can deduct this expense from your income taxes.

Is your pay considered at least partially as reimbursement for the use of your personal vehicle for business purposes?