As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The X-Files] Rebooted. This Could Be a Case for Mulder and Scully.

Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her|Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
1HWbV7F.jpg

It's back! For what looks to be six possibly amazing episodes! Let's talk about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEhpmuXHmRQ
The X-Files is an American science fiction drama television series created by Chris Carter. The program originally aired from September 10, 1993, to May 19, 2002, on Fox, spanning nine seasons and 202 episodes. The series revolves around FBI special agents Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) investigating X-Files: marginalized, unsolved cases involving paranormal phenomena. Mulder believes in the existence of aliens and the paranormal while Scully, a skeptic, is assigned to make scientific analyses of Mulder's discoveries to debunk his work and thus return him to mainstream cases. Early in the series, both agents become pawns in a larger conflict and come to trust only each other. They develop a close relationship, which begins as a platonic friendship, but becomes a romance by the end of the series. In addition to the series-spanning story arc, "Monster-of-the-Week" episodes form roughly two-thirds of all episodes.

The X-Files was inspired by shows which featured elements of suspense and speculative fiction, including Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, Tales from the Darkside, and especially Kolchak: The Night Stalker. When creating the main characters, Carter sought to reverse gender stereotypes by making Mulder a believer and Scully a skeptic. The first seven seasons featured Duchovny and Anderson equally. In the last two seasons, Anderson took precedence while Duchovny appeared intermittently. New main characters were introduced: FBI agents John Doggett (Robert Patrick) and Monica Reyes (Annabeth Gish). Mulder and Scully's boss, Assistant Director Walter Skinner (Mitch Pileggi), also became a main character. The first five seasons of The X-Files were filmed and produced in Vancouver, British Columbia, before eventually moving to Los Angeles, California to accommodate Duchovny. The series later returned to Vancouver to film the 2008 film The X-Files: I Want to Believe, as well as the 2016 six-episode event series.

The X-Files was a hit for the Fox network and received largely positive reviews, although its long-term story arc was criticized near the conclusion. Initially considered a cult show, it turned into a pop culture touchstone that tapped into public mistrust of governments and large institutions and embraced conspiracy theories and spirituality. Both the show itself and lead actors Duchovny and Anderson received multiple awards and nominations, and by the end it was the longest-running science fiction series in U.S. television history. The series also spawned a franchise which includes The Lone Gunmen spin-off, two theatrical films and accompanying merchandise. After the final theatrical film in 2008, fans continued to push for a third movie to conclude the series' plot lines. In March 2015, it was announced the series would return as a miniseries, with Chris Carter as executive producer and writer, and David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, Annabeth Gish, William B. Davis and Mitch Pileggi all reprising their roles.[6][7] It premiered on January 24, 2016.[8]

The first one back and the show was a proverbial whirlwind, that didn't seem to pause for breath. Mulder's gone and stuck every conspiracy meme/theory ever known in a blender on high, all the while having that 'bi-polar manic episode' look in his eyes once more, whilst Scully again tries to keep poor old 'Muldy on a sanity leash.

Or has he? Knowing Chris Carter, by episode six the whole cast could end up right back where they started. I'm going to stick with this reboot though, the reviews seem good. :)

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Not a fan of the first episode but I've heard good things about the next two so here's hoping. I WANT TO BELIEVE!

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Tonight's episode was full of all the good stuff. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they've captured the best parts of the old series and are just saying, "Here it is, we liked this stuff so we think you will too." and just recorded it for out pleasure. I'd love to see behind-the-scene stuff, especially with the non-main characters. The director probably just has a loop recording that before each take says, "Try it creepier this time."

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I really want to watch this, but I've only seen the first 5 seasons + first movie of the original series. How confused will I be if I try watching?

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    I really want to watch this, but I've only seen the first 5 seasons + first movie of the original series. How confused will I be if I try watching?

Not anymore than anyone else, such is the nature of the X-Files. Basically, if you think you know something, eventually the series subverts that and most episodes are pretty self-contained in my opinion too.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I set these up to record, but due to some fucking football game I'm missing half of the first episode. Does anyone know if there's a legit way to watch the first one?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    I set these up to record, but due to some fucking football game I'm missing half of the first episode. Does anyone know if there's a legit way to watch the first one?

Here

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    My wife is a huge X-Files fan (I like them but not enough to drive to Philly to see Duchovny's band play like my wife had us do). So far it feels a bit rushed and today's episode was a big garbled I think. I wonder if something was lost in editing because suddenly
    Mulder and Scully are suddenly back in the Xfiles with no transition. And no explanation why they were brought in on a suicide with no obvious paranormal elements. It didn't really make sense.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Reznik wrote: »

I remember fuck all about the show and never saw the second movie, and I was fine. The first episode has a five minute recap of everything you need to know going in.

The first ep was about as meh as I'd been led to believe, but it was fun watching Mulder and Scully back together. Fingers crossed that it gets better, as I've heard.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to the third episode, the were monster one. While I greatly enjoyed the series back when it was originally on, I think I've had my fill of generic X-Files episodes involving the main mythology (alien abductions, conspiracies); however, I'll gladly watch more of the more postmodern, meta and funny material along the lines of "Jose Chung's From Outer Space", "War of the Coprophages" or "Bad Blood".

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    "Our original conspiracy got too convoluted and contradictory so of course it was all misdirection from the REAL conspiracy..."

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if I should wait until I know whether or not this show has an actual ending before getting into it.

X-Files is like Charlie Brown and the football.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    "I'm familiar with Edward Snowden"
    "Obamacare"
    "Uber, Mulder?"

(things offhandedly said by the two)

The writing so far has been kind of bad and annoying.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It's interesting to see how the investigatory manner the duo has is adapted into the modern age (hence the whole "Snowden, Obamacare, Uber," angle). I actually thought it was kind of clever, but I could be totally misinterpreting it--for example, it last night's episode, Scully and Mulder seemed to use just the mention of "Obamacare" and all the political baggage it carried to get their foot into the door at an institution with what I assumed was an anti-abortion political agenda and sympathies.

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    So my DVR missed the first 15 minutes of last night (episode 2) ... is there much in those first 15 min to make it worth figuring out how to get Fox to stream to some device connected to my TV, or should my wife and I be fine with just the last 45 minutes?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It's interesting to see how the investigatory manner the duo has is adapted into the modern age (hence the whole "Snowden, Obamacare, Uber," angle). I actually thought it was kind of clever, but I could be totally misinterpreting it--for example, it last night's episode, Scully and Mulder seemed to use just the mention of "Obamacare" and all the political baggage it carried to get their foot into the door at an institution with what I assumed was an anti-abortion political agenda and sympathies.

They're just off hand quips or wisecracks, Mulder always did that - just not with referencing any cultural artifacts. It's silly because it doesn't actually show them being adapted into a 'modern age', which is something you don't really need to show. I mean, why would anyone assume that they wouldn't be. It's not like they vanished for the last 15 years. Why does Mulder need to tell us he is familiar with Snowden?

Somehow the show writers thought that this was something that needed to happen, pepper the dialogue with quips like this. What does it matter that Mulder arrived to meet Scully in an uber ride?

It's not a big deal in isolation, but the rest of the show has been not great so far. There's something lacking in comparison to the previous series. I've been rewatching it recently, and it just has so much more style, especially the first half. It's almost like paranormal noir. The new series just kind of feels like a generic procedural stylistically. Everything is so clear and HD. Mark Snow's music was so much more atmospheric and almost like another character, now it seems quietly relegated to an almost ambient state.

Lucid on
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    That bit in Ep 1 where they're stood on the step and Mulder has his hands on Scully's shoulders and he's shouting lines at her, it felt weird, like it was a skit and you were waiting for a punchline.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Why would the most paranoid man in the country trust uber to drive him around?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Duchovny's acting was really relaxed in the second episode. It felt like he was just reading lines.

Still, I am getting a kick out of the new angle. Some group is using alien tech to control society.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    "Our original conspiracy got too convoluted and contradictory so of course it was all misdirection from the REAL conspiracy..."

I really liked this angle. X-Files was mostly a great show, but the more that was revealed about the main conspiracy the lamer it got (IMO). Alien bounty hunters, alien rebels, alien colonization of earth...it just got more and more ridiculous as the series went on. So to have them basically come out and say, "yeah, it was all a big lie" was a pretty good thing to do.

All things considered I'm glad it's back, even for a short run. The first episode was better than the final seasons and both movies. I just wish they hadn't killed off the Lone Gunmen though. :(

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Oh hey, a few actors from 'Continuum' showing up in episode 2. Neat.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Lucid wrote: »
    "I'm familiar with Edward Snowden"
    "Obamacare"
    "Uber, Mulder?"

(things offhandedly said by the two)

The writing so far has been kind of bad and annoying.

What? I liked those things, Xfiles always had pop culture call backs.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Also as a new father the what ifs mulder and scully are doing to themselves was gut punching me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    I'd like to check this out, but it's gonna be reeeeeeally difficult for me to look at 2015-era Duchovny and not see Hank Moody.

• Options
    Honestly both Mulder and Scully look freakishly like they used to. I mean David is a little chubbier in the face and Gillian is a little thinner, but they don't look 15 years older.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I didn't mean in terms of his physical appearance so much as his personality. Duchovny so completely owned that role (likely for reasons that are kind of depressing) that I have a hard time seeing him as anything else these days, even though I saw him in the X-Files long before Californication was a thing.

Duffel on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah, I kept existing Mulder to accidentally wind up having inappropriate sexy fun times with that girl in episode 1.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Honestly both Mulder and Scully look freakishly like they used to. I mean David is a little chubbier in the face and Gillian is a little thinner, but they don't look 15 years older.

And Mitch Pileggi looks the same and is 10 years older than both of them.

• Options
    Well Mitch has a fuller beard and more white hair. He looks older.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I'm ecstatic that Skinner now gets his spot in the opening credits. Mitch Pileggi <3
    All things considered I'm glad it's back, even for a short run. The first episode was better than the final seasons and both movies. I just wish they hadn't killed off the Lone Gunmen though. :(
    I'm sure the Lone Gunmen are as dead as the Cigarette Smoking Man.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Haven't had a chance to watch yet, but is there any reference to them
    passing the supposed alien colonization date from the end of Season 9? IIRC, it was supposed to be the big ol' Mayan end of the world in 2012?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Haven't had a chance to watch yet, but is there any reference to them
    passing the supposed alien colonization date from the end of Season 9? IIRC, it was supposed to be the big ol' Mayan end of the world in 2012?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    They referenced it last episode, but I can't remember the specifics.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    I dunno if spoilers need to be used in this thread, but safety first.

I enjoyed seeing Mulder & Scully back on screen. I don't care for the story so much, however. Just straight out having characters state that all the previous Mythology was just a smokescreen for the real conspiracy doesn't sit well with me, as it feels more like adding another layer of confusion on top of a mess, instead of getting the story cleaned up.

Also, the first episode felt too rushed & chopped. Like they felt they really had 2 or 3 episodes worth of material that they had to cram into a single one. When watching the original series, I always enjoyed the methodical pacing that was used. I think it would have enjoyed if they spent the first episode focusing more and expounding upon on where Mulder & Scully are now with regards to their separate lives, and how they deal with each other, and having an event occur that eventually pulls them back in. What we got seemed to be trying to just get us up to date with them as fast as possible, while trying to to set up the new conspiracy story as fast as possible, so that Mulder & Scully get reinstated to the X-Files as fast as possible.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I've always thought a modern day X-files reboot would be good with the advantage of modern day special effects that are pretty good on a television budget.

The fact that they just made a new X-Files season is even better!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I've always thought a modern day X-files reboot would be good with the advantage of modern day special effects that are pretty good on a television budget.

The fact that they just made a new X-Files season is even better!

Honestly, I don't think it would improve them much. After the rewatch I have all the more appreciation for often amazing prosthetics and makeup which still hold up in HD.

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Durkhanus wrote: »
    I dunno if spoilers need to be used in this thread, but safety first.

I enjoyed seeing Mulder & Scully back on screen. I don't care for the story so much, however. Just straight out having characters state that all the previous Mythology was just a smokescreen for the real conspiracy doesn't sit well with me, as it feels more like adding another layer of confusion on top of a mess, instead of getting the story cleaned up.

Also, the first episode felt too rushed & chopped. Like they felt they really had 2 or 3 episodes worth of material that they had to cram into a single one. When watching the original series, I always enjoyed the methodical pacing that was used. I think it would have enjoyed if they spent the first episode focusing more and expounding upon on where Mulder & Scully are now with regards to their separate lives, and how they deal with each other, and having an event occur that eventually pulls them back in. What we got seemed to be trying to just get us up to date with them as fast as possible, while trying to to set up the new conspiracy story as fast as possible, so that Mulder & Scully get reinstated to the X-Files as fast as possible.

Yeah, I feel like some of the abruptness is due to there only being 6 episodes and likely no more.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Just finished episode 2.

I'm really liking it.
    So the DoD breeding psychic soldiers? Well no one has really invested into it in a meaningful way since Galerians, so that's pretty cool.

• Options
    edited January 2016

I really liked this angle. X-Files was mostly a great show, but the more that was revealed about the main conspiracy the lamer it got (IMO). Alien bounty hunters, alien rebels, alien colonization of earth...it just got more and more ridiculous as the series went on. So to have them basically come out and say, "yeah, it was all a big lie" was a pretty good thing to do.

They already did it in season five though. It's kind of a redundant choice now. I mean, it's a little different I guess. In season five it was Mulder being convinced there were no aliens at all, and everything was faked by the government. Now it's the illuminati is using alien technology for oppression. It kind of makes whoever will be on the villainous side of things a little too villainous, in a way. I mean, CSM and the syndicate were ultimately desperate people trying to make a sacrifice so that at least a very small group of people would remain alive. Some, like CSM were twisted into sinister figures because of this desperation (and the isolated life he had come to lead because of it). They weren't noble, but they were a little more complicated than just being a group of evil shadow conspirators.

The new plot point doesn't really work all that well with Mulder's previous characterization, or I can't think of why he would be so willing to trust in this idea already. He's went through a lot of falsehoods and manipulations in the series, it doesn't seem believable that he would, in a matter of days(?) trust in this new idea that a few people told him about. Even seeing the military craft, which he's already seen before, just not up close, could be a smokescreen. Mulder just seems too trusting at the moment.

Lucid on
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Lucid wrote: »

They already did it in season five though. It's kind of a redundant choice now. I mean, it's a little different I guess. In season five it was Mulder being convinced there were no aliens at all, and everything was faked by the government. Now it's the illuminati is using alien technology for oppression. It kind of makes whoever will be on the villainous side of things a little too villainous, in a way. I mean, CSM and the syndicate were ultimately desperate people trying to make a sacrifice so that at least a very small group of people would remain alive. Some, like CSM were twisted into sinister figures because of this desperation (and the isolated life he had come to lead because of it). They weren't noble, but they were a little more complicated than just being a group of evil shadow conspirators.

The new plot point doesn't really work all that well with Mulder's previous characterization, or I can't think of why he would be so willing to trust in this idea already. He's went through a lot of falsehoods and manipulations in the series, it doesn't seem believable that he would, in a matter of days(?) trust in this new idea that a few people told him about. Even seeing the military craft, which he's already seen before, just not up close, could be a smokescreen. Mulder just seems too trusting at the moment.

I'm half expecting the last episode to suggest that this new conspiracy is just a ploy to keep Mulder from the original, real conspiracy (the one from the main series).

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I liked the first two episodes so far.

I'm not really taking it "seriously" like getting super deep into analyzing the plot, just kinda taking it in.

It was kind of refreshing in a nostalgic way.