As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] 13th Age - The Beginning of the End

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    So three humans, a wood elf, and a dark elf?

'Dark elf' :P

Seriously what race are you playing?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    A disease sealed inside an elf body?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Brody wrote: »
    A disease sealed inside an elf body?

This.
    Mechanically a dark elf though.
    Visually a darkened elf with swirling skin and oh thats hideous

I mean if it becomes necessary I can pick a former elf race (high or wood), but 'dark elf' is what everyone's going to see first anyway.

discrider on
  • Options
    hmmmmm that tempts me. I too have a concept that can best be described as "weird elf-type thing"

but I'm thinking about Mythkenner Bard|Cleric instead.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Should we start thinking about how our group met and started working together?

edit: Also, I'll probably end up changing my characters name before we start. Trying to come up with something now.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Well I'm playing a high elf death cleric so I think I know how I met Yld'dric

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    This party needs more dwarf.

...all parties need more dwarf, probably.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    seljin468seljin468 Registered User regular
    Na Elfs and Humans are kool

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I was going to make Ryo a dwarf originally, but I wanted the human extra feat for multi-classing so he's human.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Yeah I was gonna go with a dwarf but I like the high elf flavor better.

e: Plus I can spin the teleport as him crossing through the underworld.

Tox on
  • Options
    So my thought was that although my character is in a tug of war between the Black and the Prince of Shadows, he probably has very little knowledge of it happening. He worked for one group, someone suggested he move before he drew too much attention, worked in the new city for a while, his cell gets murdered, and he decides to lay low. Pick a career with a slightly higher life expectancy. I assume I ran into a couple of you doing adventurer/caravan guard type work.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Kurgoth has been doing a sort of church-mandated tour of the imperial libraries. It's very likely that he met you on a trip and probably got you both into trouble.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I've entered the characters posted so far into an excel character sheet and noticed a few discrepancies or things I need clarification on.

@OptimusZed - It looks like you should have 30hp and a +2 bonus on recovery dice.

@Grunt's Ghosts - I have your HP at 19 and Init. at +7

@seljin468 - I have your AC at 19 and PD at 12

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    So my thoughts on relationships:
    Tox's character and xlypher sound like the sort of people the Elf Queen would send to keep Yld'dric in line. Tox thinking about a death cleric, and Xlypher being sent as ironic almost punishment for failing the assassination.
    Ryo is someone that Yld'dric would like to talk to, given his similar situation. Not sure how that plays out given Yld'dric's prior background as a noble, and Ryo's as a slumrat, but Yld'dric can't really afford to be pretentious anymore given his outward appearance.
    I'd probably stand out to Korgrath in a crowd, more than normal anyway, with the binding high priestess magic constantly surrounding me.
    And the shadow knight may have also noticed me while skulking in the shadows?

• Options
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    I've entered the characters posted so far into an excel character sheet and noticed a few discrepancies or things I need clarification on.

OptimusZed - It looks like you should have 30hp and a +2 bonus on recovery dice.
    That's probably just a math error on my part.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    astrobstrd wrote: »

OptimusZed - It looks like you should have 30hp and a +2 bonus on recovery dice.
    That's probably just a math error on my part.

I figured as much for all of those things, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing a feat, talent, or class feature.

• Options
    Wow, I'm surprised I didn't mess up Ryo more than that. And since I helped @seljin468 on his character, I feel so much shame that I flubbed up his AC so much. Our practice game last Thursday would have been a lot different if he's AC was 19 instead of 14.

• Options
    I altered my backgrounds a little to add caravan guard.

• Options
    Dam dragon gg

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Sorry gang, ended up being out of town all day. I will take care of this tomorrow, apologies for slowing stuff down.

e: Working through spells, who all has what healing stuff going on? I've actually got options open both ways, so I wanna make sure we're covered.

Tox on
  • Options
    ranger no heally stuff

• Options
    I could, but I'm not currently. In the form of lay on hands.

• Options
    Unless you count defibbing with chain lightning, I got nothing.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Erethun, High Elf of the Silver Court
    1st Level Cleric/Necromancer
    Str 12 (+1) Dex 14 (+2) Con 10 (+0) Int 16 (+3) Wis 16 (+3) Cha 12 (+1)

Story stuff
    One Unique Thing:
    Erethun is a rarity among the clergy. Although many pursue divine paths related to death and the dead, few have the stomach, intellect, and disdain for propriety it takes to delve into the arcane paths as well. Erethun's magic blends the two in a way few even recognize, and even fewer fully trust.

Story:
    Erethun is the son of a low-rank noble family of the Silver Court. Among the High Elven Courts, the Silver Court is unique in one way - they maintain a peculiar relationship with the Silver Folk, more commonly known as dark elves or drow. Erethun has been on many a diplomatic mission amongst the silver folk, and regards them about as well as most wood elves regard the high elves. Exposure to the ways of the dark elves inspired Erethun to pursue a path that walked both sides of the divide between the arcane and the divine. Combined with a perhaps unhealthy intellectual curiosity, Erethun studies both the spiritual and the esoteric sides of death, dying, and the afterlife.
    These studies culminated with a Silver Folk ritual performed on Erethun where he was "sent on a spiritual journey to the after world" (read: intentionally killed for a short period of time). The experience left Erethun a bit...weird, and focused his interests even further, motivating him to strike out into the world in search of new and interesting research and discoveries, convinced the border between this world and the next is merely a shroud that may be crossed with the right magics.

Icon Relationships:
    Lich King -1 The Lich does not like to share power. As a Necromancer, Erethun's magics are bound up with the Lich King, and the King would see his power returned to its rightful place.
    Priestess ~1 As a follower of the gods, Erethun enjoys a relationship with the Priestess and her followers. That said, one can only expect so much favor when they claim to be a cleric of the light, and dabble in unnatural magics.
    Elf Queen +1 Erethun's loyalty to the Elf Queen has never wavered nor been questioned, though he is rather low-ranking.

Backgrounds:
    Death Priest (+4): Erethun has spent a majority of his clerical career performing and administering last rites to the fallen. Since he has never aligned himself with a specific deity or faith (being a bit of an intellectualist in the matter), he is well versed in any number of cultural beliefs and practices surrounding the honoring, and disposing, of the dead ((Think CSI for tombs, crypts, and other burial and funeral sites. May also be useful for determining if a particular site was used to spawn undead, though not for tracking them)).
    Holy Nerd (+4): Erethun has always leaned a bit more toward the intellectual than the average cleric, and as such has a knack for research and investigations that benefit from a more scholarly approach.
    Remarkably Unremarkable (+4): Perhaps it's because he's a member of the clergy, perhaps he's just easily ignored, or perhaps he's even unknowingly focused his magical knowledge into a sort of arcane shroud, who really can say? All anyone seems to know for certain is that Erethun seems to have a knack for going unnoticed, resulting in him either getting somewhere he's not wanted, or hearing things not meant for his ears.

Gear
    Light armor (well made, reinforced clothing), 2 daggers, "mundane" staff, Traveling Pack (contains: rations x5, sleeping roll, pack of candles, flint/tinder, additional clothing, magnifying glass), grimoire, 20gp

Mechanics
    Defenses:
    AC 15 (12 from Cleric Light Armor, +2 Dex, +1 level)
    PD 13 (11 from Cleric, +1 Str, +1 level)
    MD 15 (11 from class, +3 Int/Wis, +1 level)

HP 19 (Average of both classes, 7 for Cleric, 6 for Necromancer)
    Recoveries 8
    Recovery die d8 (average of d6+d8)

Initiative +3
    Basic Attacks:
    Staff (Melee, 2-handed); +2 vs AC; d4 +1 dmg / Miss: 1 dmg
    Dagger (Melee/Ranged); +2 vs AC; d4 +1 dmg / Miss: 1 dmg

Class Features:
    Bonus Spell - Heal: Can use the Heal Spell twice per battle
    Ritual Magic: Can cast Cleric and Necromancer spells as rituals (13th Age Core, p 192).
    Arcane Implements: Able to use magical staffs as both an arcane implement and a holy symbol
    Death's Master: Must spend at least 1 Icon Relationship point on the Lich King.
    Spell Choices: Able to change prepared spells after a full heal-up
    Wasting Away: Any positive Constitution score modifier is applied as a penalty to Necromancer attacks. In addition, since you know death so well, you don’t die until you fail five death saves. Similarly, you don’t succumb to last gasp save effects until you fail the fifth save.

Talents:
    Cleric - Domain: Death; You and your nearby allies gain a +1 bonus to death saves.
    Invocation of Death: This battle, you and each of your allies can each separately add the escalation die to a single save made by that character. In addition, you and your allies do not die from hit point damage when your negative hit points equal half your normal hit points; instead you die when your negative hit points equal your full hit points.
    Cleric - Domain: Lore; You gain 4 additional background points that must be used somehow in relation to knowledge or lore.
    Invocation of Lore: You must use this invocation during your first round of a battle. When you do, you get a quick glimpse of the battle’s future. Roll a d6; as a free action at any point after the escalation die equals the number you rolled, you can allow one of your allies to reroll a single attack roll with a +2 bonus thanks to your vision of this future.
    Necromancer - Deathknell; As a quick action, you can drop a nearby enemy that has 5 hp or fewer down to 0 hp. When you drop an enemy using Deathknell, you heal 1d6 hit points. You can use Deathknell to drop a mook, but only if it’s the last mook in its mob and the mob has 5 hp or fewer left, at which point it’s time for the mook’s Deathknelled exit.

Spells:
    (Cleric)
    Heal; Quick Action, Close-Quarters, 2/Battle; Target: You or one ally next to you; Effect: Target can heal using a recovery.
    Javelin of Faith; Standard Action, Ranged, At-will; Target: One nearby enemy; Attack: +4/PD; d6+3 dmg / Miss: 1 dmg
    Spirits of Righteousness; Standard Action, Ranged, 1/Battle; Target: One nearby enemy; Attack: +4/MD; 4d6+3 dmg, and your nearby ally with the fewest hit points gains a +4 bonus to AC until the end of your next turn / Miss: Your nearby ally with the fewest hit points gains a +2 bonus to AC until the end of your next turn.
    Cure Wounds; Quick Action, Ranged, Daily; Effect: You or a nearby ally can heal using a free recovery.

(Necromancer)
    Channel Life; Standard Action, Ranged, 1/Battle; Attack Target: One random nearby creature other than the healing target; Healing Target: One nearby ally; Attack: +4/MD (make one attack only against the attack target).
    Hit (Enemy): 2d6 + 3 negative energy dmg, and the healing target can heal using a recovery. Hit (Ally): 5 negative energy dmg, and the healing target can heal using a recovery. Miss: Spell is not expended.
    Chant of Endings; Standard Action, Ranged, At-will; Target: The nearby enemy with the fewest hit points (you chooseif there’s a tie; you also don’t have to be able to see that enemy); Attack: +4/MD; Hit d10+3 negative energy dmg.
    Summon Undead; Standard Action, Ranged, Daily; Effect: You summon a mob of 1d3 + 1 crumbling skeleton mooks, as per the summoning rules on page 11. These skeletons fight for you until the end of the battle or until they drop to 0 hp, whichever comes first.
    ===Crumbling Skeleton; 1st level mook [undead]; HP 6 (mook); AC 16, PD 14, MD 10, Vulnerability: holy; Attack (Sword) +6/AC; Hit: 3 dmg. Mook: Kill one crumbling skeleton mook for every 6 damage you deal to the mob. Resist weapons 16+: When a weapon attack targets this creature, the attacker must roll a natural 16+ on the attack roll or it only deals half damage.

I can't currently decide which feat I want, so I'd really, really like to hold off until we've had a battle before I decide. I'm conflicted between a few, all of which are combat-oriented (Improved Initiative, Channel Life adventurer tier feat, etc). Just let me know.

Tox on
  • Options
    Deciding your feat later is no problem, Tox. Expect an intro post tomorrow night or Thursday. Everyone can work out relationships with each other before that if you wish. I think I have a hook that can bring in any folks that seem to be loose ends, though.

• Options
    @OptimusZed where was your coronation scheduled to take place? It's possible that Erethun was working in the temple district or the necropolis or city archives even, and could have conscripted himself to your aid.

Erethun strikes me as someone with a lot of "NPC levels." He's not particularly young, he's been studying magic and death for a while, it's just that only recently he's had a chance to strike out as a full on adventurer.

• Options
    Well, in my head it was out in the mountains somewhere. But Kurgoth definately got a crash course in imperial theology following his ascension, so they might have met then.

• Options
    @discrider me and grunts ghosts are doing something for knowing each other since u rolled like me maybe u would like to jump in with us

• Options
    The idea that @seljin468 and I are thinking of is that Ryo believes that there maybe an Evil Temple on Necropolis and Ryo seek out Xlypher's help as he might know the layout of the land and could possible help him find the Temple. Being that you are carrying a sickness, maybe you also seeked out Xlypher as he survived the failed mission that unleashed the Plague in the first place.

• Options
    The idea that @seljin468 and I are thinking of is that Ryo believes that there maybe an Evil Temple on Necropolis and Ryo seek out Xlypher's help as he might know the layout of the land and could possible help him find the Temple. Being that you are carrying a sickness, maybe you also seeked out Xlypher as he survived the failed mission that unleashed the Plague in the first place.

Sure, I'd be up for that.
    Not that I know how'd the character would react if the sickness were cured, but it'd be something my character would be striving to do :)

• Options
    @discrider I was thinking the only way to get the curse mark to go away is to kill the lich King by my own hands and how am I gunna kill the lich King lol

• Options
    seljin468 wrote: »
    @discrider I was thinking the only way to get the curse mark to go away is to kill the lich King by my own hands and how am I gunna kill the lich King lol

Don't kill the Lich King, become the Lich King.

• Options
    Erethun will be very reluctant to go to the Necropolis. Not unwilling, just very *sigh* "do we have to?" about the whole thing. Of course his intellectual curiosity would get the better of him in the end. But he "knows" it's a bad idea.

• Options
    @brody mabey i will

• Options
    I think I've settled on my character name: Gunbjorn.

• Options
    @astrobstrd so are we using the core setting, and with it the map?

And assuming we are, what rough areas of the map would everyone say their character is more or less from? Not necessarily originally, but where would you have joined the "party" from?

• Options
    I'm with @Grunt's Ghosts

• Options
    We are with the whole group.

• Options
    My character has been floating from city to city. Its more likely he would encounter some of you guys on the roads between cities.

• Options
    No yeah I assumed the whole group was together now. I was asking about backstory.