As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]us horribilis

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Also! FO4
    The dialogue options show a character who is really fucking well adjusted for someone who was probably BBQing in his pre-apocalyptic backyard with his wife and infant son right before the story starts.

Some people are really good at compartmentalizing their emotions and surviving.

some people are really good at writing terrible uncharacters in bad plotlines with bland dialogue, also

could you tell the difference in a blind taste test

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Red Dead Redemption was probably the highlight of sandbox games.

Boom.

You couldn't just have sex with the prostitutes in the saloon because John Marston is a married man. Little details like that did wonders for the game.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Sleeping Dogs tho

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    what is lean

Promethazine/codeine syrup, a mild opiate which rose to prominence due to some particularly bad rap music and the eventual overdose death of the progenitor, DJ Screw.

Or you know non-fatty sources of protein if I'd bothered to scroll up the page.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    it does kinda feel like rpgs have gone from the only place where you could find a focus on good writing and characters, to sort of lagging behind the best of like action and adventure games.

though I haven't played witcher 3 yet

It's definitely the case that they don't have the exclusive license to good storytelling anymore

but that said two of my favorite game stories in the past year were Shadowrun HK and Pillars of Eternity

I just think that big-budget RPGs have suffered, and will probably suffer for a few more years, from ill-considered attempts to ride Skyrim's low-narrative-content coattails. It sounds like Witcher 3 was not entirely immune to this either.

I need to finish it but my thoughts on Witcher 3 is the main story is as good or better than Witcher 2. Some of the side missions are moving and tied to the plot in a way you didn't even guess.

Contracts and blotting out every little dot on the map is a waste of time unless I really need some money or just about to level.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    The best adding the hidden building mats in is that I dontt have to fill my entire settlement with noisy generators or giant wind turbines. I can build two small quiet fusion reactors and its enough to power everything ever.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    Sleeping Dogs tho

Lacked horse riding. Inferior game.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I've said this before but I think Bethesda's big issue is that they are a computer game company from the 1990s that managed to survive into the modern era when nearly all of their contemporaries - Westwood, Origin, Sierra, Interplay, etc etc - are gone. Some of that is due to smart decisions - like making their RPGs playable on console at the exact moment that PS2/O.G. Xbox really started leaving computer games in the dust for a few years - and a lot of it is due to sheer luck.

And the thing is that I don't really think they've, like, learned the lessons of twenty years of forward progress in games design. Their philosophy is still the exact same thing that it was with Elder Scrolls 1 - "you should be able to play as ANYTHING and do WHATEVER YOU WANT" and because we don't have real life holodecks what that actually means in practice is that they make games that the player essentially floats through as a disconnected, bodiless observer, not really interacting with anyone or anything in a meaningful way, and it means that their idea of production values is still rooted in what would have been super cool in the 90s. Other games are giving these incredible, emotive performances and they're still like "We have VOICES!" and you fire up the game and hear three versions of the same Gruff Orc Voice Guy talking to himself.

Yeah maybe hiring like, 10 more voice actors would benefit them.

Or like... changing the voices digitally with some sort of code piece so not everyone sounds like fucking Lucan in the first town.

Or just having the actors do different performances for different characters who are actually, you know, characters as written not "background voice thing 57"

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Reading about supporters of Senator Sanders who are called BernieBros

They appear to be accused of being somewhere between dismissive and harassive towards some of his critics

I have no idea how extensive they are, but some of the anecdotal evidence can't help but make me think of another alliteratively named group a while back

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

They appear to be accused of being somewhere between dismissive and harassive towards some of his critics

I have no idea how extensive they are, but some of the anecdotal evidence can't help but make me think of another alliteratively named group a while back
    BangBus? :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Sleeping Dogs tho

Lacked horse riding. Inferior game.

you could hijack an armored van carrying money by jumping out of your own car on the highway because Wei Shen, motherfucker

Orphane on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Souls is about being a badass with a giant sword kicking demon asses.

I don't see where running from enemies fits into that.
    I thought souls was about wielding magic and kiting enemies through bad pathing.

No it's about shooting them at maximum range with your bow out of their agro zone
    I have chosen a false path Senpai...Teach me

So, you get a bow right? And then you should people from ledges they can't climb up.

Profit.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    it's a vodka night

slowly inching out the door

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular

oh those CarsonCunts

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    BEAST! wrote: »

oh those CarsonCunts

Ronulans!

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Boom.

The controls were so, so bad though.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    I'm still mad about what happened to Jagged Alliance : /

What happened to Jagged Alliance?

Jagged Alliance is great, it's a shame there haven't been better sequels. I think there was a remake a few years back that was pretty good but was pretty much just a remake I think, not really a new game.

The remake (back in action) suffered from being buggy as fuck due to a highly constrained testing cycle due to the publisher running out of money.

and was also just kind of bland and removed some fun/weird things in the name of streamlining the game experience

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

Boom.

You couldn't just have sex with the prostitutes in the saloon because John Marston is a married man. Little details like that did wonders for the game.

RDR's story was the serious story GTA4's was trying to be and failing.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    credeiki wrote: »
    I've said this before but I think Bethesda's big issue is that they are a computer game company from the 1990s that managed to survive into the modern era when nearly all of their contemporaries - Westwood, Origin, Sierra, Interplay, etc etc - are gone. Some of that is due to smart decisions - like making their RPGs playable on console at the exact moment that PS2/O.G. Xbox really started leaving computer games in the dust for a few years - and a lot of it is due to sheer luck.

And the thing is that I don't really think they've, like, learned the lessons of twenty years of forward progress in games design. Their philosophy is still the exact same thing that it was with Elder Scrolls 1 - "you should be able to play as ANYTHING and do WHATEVER YOU WANT" and because we don't have real life holodecks what that actually means in practice is that they make games that the player essentially floats through as a disconnected, bodiless observer, not really interacting with anyone or anything in a meaningful way, and it means that their idea of production values is still rooted in what would have been super cool in the 90s. Other games are giving these incredible, emotive performances and they're still like "We have VOICES!" and you fire up the game and hear three versions of the same Gruff Orc Voice Guy talking to himself.

Yes. This is my #1 barrier to enjoying elder scrolls 4+5 and fallout 3+4. I feel no connection to my character, my character feels no connection to the world, I just run around and fuck shit up for a while and look at the graphics and then quit, having not progressed very far in the main plot and not really caring to play any further.

Even from a technical point of view, you feel like a disembodied head that just happens to have a body dangling under it. Tap a key to move ever so slightly and they use their "eh, good enough" inverse kinematics to make the leg instantly twitch into its new position.

I've said this before, but Bethesda has an "eh, good enough" philosophy for the whole game they make.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016

They tried the same dismissive attacks against President Obama.

http://www.salon.com/2008/04/14/obama_supporters/
    Hey, Obama boys: Back off already!
    Young women are growing increasingly frustrated with the fanatical support of Barack and gleeful bashing of Hillary.

This time they can't even claim Sanders has a problem with "young women" though, because he's absolutely crushing the under 40 demographics and leads with under 50s. You know, the youth vote.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    As a smart:
    I saw the twist in FO4 coming before the tutorial was over.

Then I played around for 10 hours, built a house for 10 more. Then I read online confirming the twist and at that point I was done with Fallout 4.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Souls is about being a badass with a giant sword kicking demon asses.

I don't see where running from enemies fits into that.
    I thought souls was about wielding magic and kiting enemies through bad pathing.

No it's about shooting them at maximum range with your bow out of their agro zone
    I have chosen a false path Senpai...Teach me

So, you get a bow right? And then you should people from ledges they can't climb up.

Profit.

Here, have a really bad old video I made

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

Boom.

The controls were so, so bad though.

Hm I never noticed?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Legends say that if you stand on top of a hill in FO4 and aim at the city on the horizon with a sniper scope you can count the polygons with the fingers on one hand.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    man i should just get bloops 3 but no one would ever play it with me

I ...

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I still love Skyrim. But I feel it was a good game not because of Bethesda but kind of in spite of them. It was a great hiking/walking simulator. I spent more time just tramping around then doing their content. I built my own stories. And the mod community was amazing outshining the game designers by far.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    ok yeah this girl still talks to her husband about non-divorce things

done and done for now

fucking figures, bros and bro-ettes

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I still love Skyrim. But I feel it was a good game not because of Bethesda but kind of in spite of them. It was a great hiking/walking simulator. I spent more time just tramping around then doing their content. I built my own stories. And the mod community was amazing outshining the game designers by far.

If it weren't for the mod community I would not have purchased a Bethsoft game in over a decade

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    desc wrote: »
    man i should just get bloops 3 but no one would ever play it with me

I ...

you would quit as soon as i got it! i've been burned too many times before! not by you but

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    desc wrote: »
    Fallout is really a so-so game series

New Vegas is hugely overrated

I don't get it

...i trusted you...

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

I don't know why but I lost it at "the paint salesman's in town!"

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    No more than 2 people in [chat] can play an online game concurrently.

If a third person joins, one or both of the original 2 will quit immediately.

L4D was perhaps the only exception? and there are lol nerds but that can hardly be considered a game

• Options
    I would gladly receive £1,000,000 for a Klondike bar

How come nobody offers such challenging decisions?

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

done and done for now

is this a girl you dating?

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

done and done for now

dead dove

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I liked jumping onto another car to hijack it in Sleeping Dogs but it was way too easy/simple

What a lot of these games miss IMO is that an action is profoundly more satisfying in a game when you have granular, tangible control over it. If I just have to get within ten feet of a vehicle and hit one button, it feels cheap and cartoonish, a bland QTE.

Of course that means actually designing a fun, usable system for that action instead of a simple animation so they don't bother

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    what is lean

cough syrup @durandal4532

poo
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    what is lean

Promethazine/codeine syrup, a mild opiate which rose to prominence due to some particularly bad rap music and the eventual overdose death of the progenitor, DJ Screw.

oh

you beat me

poo
This discussion has been closed.