As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GOP Primary: Mass Hysteria

19495969798100»

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think MoveOn just claimed responsibility. Not that I to want to make it sound like a terrorist attack.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited March 2016
    Lanz wrote: »
    Think I just heard "Bernie Sanders come down here" on the Fox feed?

One of the first things the protesters did after they revealed themselves to the Trump supporters and flipped them off a few times was to start a "Bernie!" chant.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    This is quite bizarre, and it's really hard any good info because basically every source has different people discussing how things went down and what candidates were involved.

I ate an engineer
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    glimmung wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So Trump is backing up about a hundred years in terms of rhetoric, repeating the old Gospel of Wealth lines about how the rich are better people because if you're poor its your own fault, and yet people still like him because they feel like he's a breath of fresh air?

The cognitive dissonance of it all...

I'm at the point right now where I simply cannot understand what the massive appeal is anymore.

Appeal to burning it all down? I guess?

Trump makes a lot more sense when you realize that many conservatives are very, very stupid.

My gut reaction is to agree with you, but I'm trying to look at things from a different perspective. One paradox I see again and again is that sometimes seemingly intelligent people, people who excel in STEM fields like medicine for example, are staunchly conservative and will vote for the most transparently incompetent/evil people. I don't want to dismiss people as stupid when they just think differently.

I 100% blame the internet. It allows anyone and anything to look like legitimate sources, and fact is no longer a thing. Like I can find a large section of the internet that agrees with any stance I'd like to take and then via bias ignore all other sources that disagree with the stance I've taken.

Like I've had reasonably intelligent people try to tell me that the entire medical profession, all properly trained doctors, are working from a set of lies. That medical doctors are completely incompetent of what they are talking about, and that homeopathic doctors are the ones that know what they are doing. They had all kinds of Internet articles and sources to throw at me, that look and sound very legitimate. Heck I could even get taken in by some of what they were peddling. The internet allows the legitimizing of any stance no matter how thin it's reasoning out factual basis, and can allow folks to "do their own research" through a stack of pure bullshit that agrees with their already existing biases.

For instance the Trump appeal comes from the pure bullshit that the right wing media machines have been churning out for over a decade. If you look at what he is peddling a lot of it is based on the hyperbole and lies and faulty reasoning and economic principles coming from the right wing media machine for years (like insisting that welfare spending is the problem when welfare spending is like one of the smallest sectors of government spending there is). Even better the right wing media machine hasn't been engaging their opposition in any meaningful or reasoned manner for decades. The information their opponents are giving out isn't wrong because the info is wrong and here's the refutation of that info the info is wrong because the opposition is the one delivering it.

I don't remember the source where I read it, but I remember reading the climate change deniers were just as likely to be well educated in science than not. The theory for this was that people who are well educated in a STEM field are very capable of doing their own research and if they start from a bias towards denial they are more than capable of finding relatively not-crazy-sounding sources to convince themselves that the science backs them up.

One of my co-workers is like that brilliant in his field but just does not believe that CO2 could cause climate change.

I had a conversation with a sonar engineer once who said the same thing about relativity. Like, he understood what I was saying, but he didn't believe that relativity was the reason geo-synchronous satellites have to account for 7 micro-seconds a day of time difference or else their clocks would slowly get de-synched from Earth time.

Smart guy, helps design the equipment that allows modern submarines to function. But that anti-intellectualism is real.

Goddamit man, you are hurting my brain.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    CNN keeps interviewing these former Secret Service agents and all I can think is that there is almost nothing that gives someone less credibility these days than having worked for that particular agency.

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    according to this fox10 affiliate there were no injuries outside a few thrown punches

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    So Trump is backing up about a hundred years in terms of rhetoric, repeating the old Gospel of Wealth lines about how the rich are better people because if you're poor its your own fault, and yet people still like him because they feel like he's a breath of fresh air?

I'm at the point right now where I simply cannot understand what the massive appeal is anymore.

Trump makes a lot more sense when you realize that many conservatives are very, very stupid.

My gut reaction is to agree with you, but I'm trying to look at things from a different perspective. One paradox I see again and again is that sometimes seemingly intelligent people, people who excel in STEM fields like medicine for example, are staunchly conservative and will vote for the most transparently incompetent/evil people. I don't want to dismiss people as stupid when they just think differently.

I 100% blame the internet. It allows anyone and anything to look like legitimate sources, and fact is no longer a thing. Like I can find a large section of the internet that agrees with any stance I'd like to take and then via bias ignore all other sources that disagree with the stance I've taken.

Like I've had reasonably intelligent people try to tell me that the entire medical profession, all properly trained doctors, are working from a set of lies. That medical doctors are completely incompetent of what they are talking about, and that homeopathic doctors are the ones that know what they are doing. They had all kinds of Internet articles and sources to throw at me, that look and sound very legitimate. Heck I could even get taken in by some of what they were peddling. The internet allows the legitimizing of any stance no matter how thin it's reasoning out factual basis, and can allow folks to "do their own research" through a stack of pure bullshit that agrees with their already existing biases.

For instance the Trump appeal comes from the pure bullshit that the right wing media machines have been churning out for over a decade. If you look at what he is peddling a lot of it is based on the hyperbole and lies and faulty reasoning and economic principles coming from the right wing media machine for years (like insisting that welfare spending is the problem when welfare spending is like one of the smallest sectors of government spending there is). Even better the right wing media machine hasn't been engaging their opposition in any meaningful or reasoned manner for decades. The information their opponents are giving out isn't wrong because the info is wrong and here's the refutation of that info the info is wrong because the opposition is the one delivering it.

I don't remember the source where I read it, but I remember reading the climate change deniers were just as likely to be well educated in science than not. The theory for this was that people who are well educated in a STEM field are very capable of doing their own research and if they start from a bias towards denial they are more than capable of finding relatively not-crazy-sounding sources to convince themselves that the science backs them up.

One of my co-workers is like that brilliant in his field but just does not believe that CO2 could cause climate change.

I had a conversation with a sonar engineer once who said the same thing about relativity. Like, he understood what I was saying, but he didn't believe that relativity was the reason geo-synchronous satellites have to account for 7 micro-seconds a day of time difference or else their clocks would slowly get de-synched from Earth time.

Smart guy, helps design the equipment that allows modern submarines to function. But that anti-intellectualism is real.

engineers

I am having a discussion with a prostitute I hired over the amount of payment owed for services rendered. CNN, can you help me with some expert advice?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

engineers

Oh god yes. Anyone who has spent quality time in an engineering quad can tell you exactly how stupid ostensibly smart people can be.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    490193720_invqg-2100x20000.jpg

It's true.

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.