As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good DIY (home) starter books?

StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
Anyone have any good all around home repair/home modification book/book sets they really like? I've just started learning the intricacies of a 100 year old Pacific Northwest home, and I've got some learninating to do. What I'm thinking of is when I was a wee lad there was a whole series of Time Life books that covered freaking everything about everything. I mean, there was so much general information there might have been chapters named "floors" and "walls" and god knows what else with plenty of pictures and details.

Youtube and online stuff is of course amazing these days, but I was hoping there was a sort of newbie's DIY bible I could sit in front of me floating around for those of us who have basic training in power tools and not hammering fingers, but who may have lived the soft, coddled life of apartment living.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    This one by Popular Mechanics is good: http://www.amazon.com/Popular-Mechanics-Complete-Home-How-/dp/1588163024/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457133793&sr=8-2&keywords=popular+mechanics+repair

Other then that youtube or DIY forums are my go-tos when I need to figure out how to accomplish a project.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular
    When I bought my (first) house, my realtor gave me this book as a gift: http://amzn.com/098320182X "How to operate your house"

It doesn't really go into deep or step-by-step specifics about any particular thing, but it served me pretty well in understanding "the basics" and how everything in the house fits/works together. It also has pretty good tips on troubleshooting things, or figuring out what's wrong/what that noise is. From there it's usually a quick google/youtube search to find the specific solution to the problem.

Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    As a general rule, you want to weigh if the time and money saved through DIY is worth the potential insurance risks if things break. One of the benefits of hiring bonded professionals is the transfer of liability for problems with service, especially with plumbing and electrical which can be considerably damaging.

This isn't to say that most homeowner issues can't be DIY (they can) but be realistic about it when dealing with water and electrical currents. People get trade licenses for a reason and having a professional evaluate a project (especially in an older home where non-traditional or pre-code wiring and plumbing fixtures are in place) is generally worth the money spent.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Plumbing and Electrical are best left to professionals (short of easy stuff like ceiling light replacements), as is structural work. I learned by picking projects, googling and then just doing stuff.
    From someone who had a 107 year old house - Good Luck.
    Key tips:
    1. Never assume anything is square in an old house
    2. Never assume breakers or wiring make sense. At all.
    3. Measuring is great, but test fit.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Plumbing and Electrical are best left to professionals (short of easy stuff like ceiling light replacements), as is structural work. I learned by picking projects, googling and then just doing stuff.
    Key tips:

I'd say a good #4 would be documentation. Especially if it's something you might have to 'redo', like a light switch or thermostat. Mark which wires went where, etc.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions all!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    Key tips:

I'd say a good #4 would be documentation. Especially if it's something you might have to 'redo', like a light switch or thermostat. Mark which wires went where, etc.

YES. Also, never be afraid to call in a pro if things seem extraordinarily fucked up.