As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help with upcoming job interview

The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
Hi H/A,

I have always been terrible at job interviews, so if someone could construct a Synth / Toaster that resembles me and can ace an upcoming job interview for me, you'd have my gratitude. I'd ask that the machine not be programmed to attempt to terminate me, though, once the task is completed (if possible). I can provide photo references via PM to assist with getting my likeness correct.

Alright, for real though: I moved to Vancouver Island about 3~ years ago and have been unable to find work up until now. Yesterday, I was contacted after answering a help wanted ad for Save On Foods; this is only the 3rd time I've had a potential employer call me back, and I've been looking pretty hard.

I guess this is a just a bit of culture shock for me, but I have never experienced interviews / pre-interview screenings like what is apparently the norm here. Basically, this is what I was used to while living in central Alberta:

You answer a help wanted request, the employer gets back to you in a day or two and schedules an interview (usually the same day they call you, sometimes the day after), the interview is mostly about seeing whether or not you'd be a good fit for the position and that you are who you say you are. They don't ask interpersonal questions and there is a mutual understanding that for non-career jobs, the applicant is just looking for work while the employer is just looking for man hours. I never experienced a negative reaction when answering the question, "Why did you want to work here?" by saying, "I'm just looking for work and saw your ad while reading [X]," (I wouldn't speak for them, but it was my impression that most managers appreciated the candor / honesty. Also, I know for sure that this was a very common answer).

That all being said, I certainly have never been good at interviews anyway (maintaining eye contact with people is difficult beyond words for me, as is any kind of small talk) - but I think the truncated nature of that kind of interview process helped a lot.

Things are completely different here. As I said, most employers haven't even called back, much less scheduled an interview. I've been asked a lot of interpersonal questions during pre-interview screening (I was screened both via phone call and via an online questionnaire that was 10 pages long. Again, not something I'm used to!) that I feel give a negative impression unless I answer them dishonestly (which I do not like to do), such as, "Do you like to mingle a lot at parties?", "Are you shy?", "Do you enjoy watching team sports or single person sports?"... and these are mixed-in with more 'serious' screening material about whether or not you're a thief / likely to assault other employees.

During the phone screening, when I was asked, "Why do you want to work here?" I replied, "I'm just looking for work and saw your ad on Kajiji," the screener gave a very negative "Umm...." and then advised me to think of something else to say. I was legitimately blindsided and just said I had worked in retail for quite a while and had experience with customer service. She accepted that answer but then advised me that I should add something special about Save on Foods & the position itself when talking to the store manager, and why I would specifically want to work there. Again, for an entry level retail position like the one I'm applying for, I've never had that kind of thing insisted upon, ever (until I moved here).

...Soo now I'm anxious that I'm going to just bomb this upcoming interview even moreso than I already would. I have been thinking about how to answer that one specific question that the screener advised me on, for example, and I cannot for the life of me think of something that would come out of my mouth sounding honest. I also got the impression from the questionnaire that the manager will be looking to sniff out & reject candidates with social anxiety, and I cannot effectively hide mine (it was something I was getting better at while I had medication, but those days are long gone. And the cat is already out of the proverbial bag anyway given that I answered the questionnaire as honestly as I could).

Can anyone suggest a good way to answer, "Why do you want to work at Save On Foods as a part time grocery bagger?" and/or offer advice on anything I could say / do to make my social anxiety appear less apparent / negative?

If anyone has experience with an HR department that asks those kind of screening questions, can you explain what you are looking for / why that material is important to the company you work for?

With Love and Courage

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Well, the thing to remember is when you are applying to a job it's an exchange of showing what you can offer and finding out what they are looking for. That question is a perfect, and almost universal one, because it allows the candidate to express what they are looking for and what they are bringing to the table.

"Why do you want to work at Save On Foods as a part time grocery bagger?"

I'm looking to work for a company that can provide a steady, positive atmosphere with room for me to grow as I learn and gain responsibilities. From what I have researched* Save On Foods is a postitive workplace environment and one I hopefully can contribute to with a can-do attitude and enthusiasm.

That's my on the spot answer right now, written in about a minute with only two typo corrections. Don't copy this, but start thinking along these lines. If your answer is "whelp I want money and you had a posting" and the next candidate responded something like the above, which would you pick as a hiring manager?

*Research every company before the interview. Go to their corporate and/or franchise website, find out how the company operates, what the company's mission statement is, the works. Every bit you know about the company and what they stand for on paper helps you match that in your interviews and resume.

Enc on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The Ender wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a good way to answer, "Why do you want to work at Save On Foods as a part time grocery bagger?" and/or offer advice on anything I could say / do to make my social anxiety appear less apparent / negative?

If anyone has experience with an HR department that asks those kind of screening questions, can you explain what you are looking for / why that material is important to the company you work for?

The first thing you should do, if you haven't done so already, is hit their website and read as much stuff as you can on their career pages.
    Find anything written about the work environment, opportunities for advancement or stuff like that. Pretty much anything that's got a bullet point.

When they ask why you want to work there, parrot back as much of that as you can remember, maybe add a bit about having shopped there for a while.
    "I want to work here because I've been a customer at your store for years, and it seems like you have a really great, team oriented environment here with opportunities for advancement."

Edit: So, pretty much what Enc said, but with a bit of added of cynicism for flavor.

see317 on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Being authentic in these reactions is generally a plus, so you want to be yourself. People who end up as hiring managers usually have done this a time or two and tend to become quite adept at spotting bullshit. That said, some of the bullshit is expected for an application. Does the company hiring you to be a grocery bagger expect you to be able to recite their mission statement? Of course not. Would knowing it during your interview assure you a job? No way.

But does it show initiative and commitment to this specific application? Yes. Yes it does. That tells me as a hiring manager that you are hungry for the work, motivated enough to put effort into the application, and smart enough to know how to find information about the company on your own.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Also, as you said, you're not getting a ton of call backs. So since this is one of your hottest leads, it deserves extra work on your part, even if you think it doesn't jive with the hourly wage retail environment. You want a job, if it takes a certain level of effort to get it, that's what it costs.

As for your social anxiety... The truth is that retail involves working with customers and making them happy. That's just a big part of the job. You have to find a way to convince the hiring manager that you're going to give good customer service when talking to the customers.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    In those kinds of interviews, when the employer asks you "why are you interested in working here", what they are really asking is something like, "Convince me that you know something about this company and what it does and that you feel positive about being a part of that. Convince me that you are not going to show up on day one and be an apathetic slouch." So sometimes that means you have to blow smoke up their arse a little bit. Before you do the interview, just hit up their website, learn a little about the company, what they do, maybe read some positive/negative reviews of what working there is like from former employees if you can find anything like that. (Usually can if it's a grocery or food service type place.)

Other things I recommend are to have some stock questions on hand you can ask them. Have you ever heard the advice that when you're first getting to know someone, one way to make them feel super positive toward you right away is to show you are curious about them by asking lots of "tell me about yourself" type questions? Most people are really affected by that, even if they don't realize it, and employers are just the same way. Here are a couple very generic stock questions I always take into interviews for those "so do you have any questions for us?" type situations.

--Can you walk me through a typical day on the job? Give me maybe an hour-to-hour snapshot of what a typical day is like.

--For you personally, what would you say is your favorite part of working for this company and what would you say is the part you find most stressful or difficult? (Be careful not to say "your least favorite part of the job" or "the part of the job you hate" etc.)

--Every job has particular days or times of the year when things are a little more chaotic than usual. Can you describe when that is for this company and what I can expect during those days?

The thing about this type of question is that it shows that you are evaluating/analyzing THEM as well, and could potentially turn them down, which implies you have standards and are perhaps a choosier and higher quality candidate.

You can also ask them about pay, benefits, time off, etc, but always save those questions for absolute last. Coming right out of the gate with those can seem "grabby".

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I used to be in a management position for a clothing retailer last year before starting my current career.

Things are completely different here. As I said, most employers haven't even called back, much less scheduled an interview. I've been asked a lot of interpersonal questions during pre-interview screening (I was screened both via phone call and via an online questionnaire that was 10 pages long. Again, not something I'm used to!) that I feel give a negative impression unless I answer them dishonestly (which I do not like to do), such as, "Do you like to mingle a lot at parties?", "Are you shy?", "Do you enjoy watching team sports or single person sports?"... and these are mixed-in with more 'serious' screening material about whether or not you're a thief / likely to assault other employees.

As much as I hate to say lie on these interpersonal questions, think of them more as what they really are, a test to make sure you are smart enough to know what they are looking for and expecting you to say.

"Yes I love people! Yes people always gravitate towards me!"

They are basically the probing questions to make sure you aren't a creep that will scare away customers. They don't really care or want to know what you do on the weekends.

At my retail job, if someone failed the online personality test that was part of our hiring process, our response to them was to literally to re-take it and "think about your answers very carefully."

And as for how to answer the "why do you want to work here" question. Do your research and follow enc and see's advice. To them being honest and saying "I'm just looking for work and saw your ad" warns them that they are probably going to have to go through all of this again in a month or two after something better comes up and you quit.

I'm not telling you to lie on an application or your resume (don't do that), but for these types of interview and pre-interview questions, they really aren't looking for brutally honest answers.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    Just to clarify, the "why do you want to work here?" question is really "why do you want to work here as opposed to all the other options out there?". This is not the time to show how desperate you are and say, well you're the only people who called me back. This is the opportunity to tell them why you even bothered applying to the job. It's probably because you think you could do a good job and it aligns with your current skill set and past experience at a minimum. If it's a company that you want to use to grow a career, then talk about that. They want to know why this job is special to you - and even if it's just to collect a pay check, it's still an investment of your time and should be important to you for a variety of reasons.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Echoing that those online questionnaires are not intended to get an honest assessment of your personality. Their purpose is to see if you have the minimal intelligence required and are willing to put in the minimal effort required to figure out what answers are "correct."

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Thank you for the recommendations; I'll see what I can do.

...'Business professional' means 'suit & tie', correct? I've been double-checking that throughout the day because I don't want to look like an overdressed assclown, but I'm sure the screener said the interview would be business professional.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    It's better to be overdressed than under dressed.

You can take off a jacket and tie

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Thank you for the recommendations; I'll see what I can do.

...'Business professional' means 'suit & tie', correct? I've been double-checking that throughout the day because I don't want to look like an overdressed assclown, but I'm sure the screener said the interview would be business professional.

Yes, suit & tie. When it comes to job interviews always air on the side of being over dressed. Outside of the tech industry and a handful of other "hip" professions, I don't think anyone has ever not gotten a job because they were over dressed.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Mentality is also an important part of the interview. If you go into the place with the attitude that you have to have this job and you will do anything to get it. One you look desperate, and that is going to be a negative, and two even if you get the job you are not going to be treated seriously and may get low balled.

I always go to every interview with the mentality that this is a practice interview, and the results don't matter. Only what I can take from the experience. I know it's hard, but when I started going in with that attitude, I had a lot more interest in me.

Wear a suit and tie unless instructed not too (I have been told to not wear a suit and tie to the interview by an interviewer before). If you are instructed not to wear a suit and tie, follow directions and go with business casual or whatever level of dress you are requested to follow.

• Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    To follow up with what zepherin said, when you meet the person interviewing you (or anyone there honestly) react as though you are seeing an old friend. Smile, genuine smile. This will help alleviate any jitters.

Knock em dead.

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Side comment, but my thought is that this forum should have a dedicated job-hunt help thread, for general advise but also people could go to PMs if they had some inside tips (like someone's applying to Zynga and you know someone there).

I like some of the general questions offered in this thread. I always come up short in that part of the interview, though i never come up empty. I really liked "describe a typical day," "why do you like working here?" One i came up with for a job with more seasonal fluctuations (like working for a school, a program developer, or a non-profit), "when is your crunch-time or busy season?"

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Practice in front of a mirror answering the three most common questions; practice helps inject tone and spontaneity back into rote speeches, and the mirror is for maintaining eye contact even when you're embarrassed. Make believe you're an actor.

For your demeanor, one strategy is to act as though you already got the job and this is orientation and your boss is sizing you up and trying to place you. Anxiety about failure and thinking about what happens if you don't get hired can wait.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Side comment, but my thought is that this forum should have a dedicated job-hunt help thread, for general advise but also people could go to PMs if they had some inside tips (like someone's applying to Zynga and you know someone there).

I like some of the general questions offered in this thread. I always come up short in that part of the interview, though i never come up empty. I really liked "describe a typical day," "why do you like working here?" One i came up with for a job with more seasonal fluctuations (like working for a school, a program developer, or a non-profit), "when is your crunch-time or busy season?"

There is one already. It's called the SE++ Job Thread, and it's filled with a bunch of cool dudes, dudettes, and at least one moon.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

There is one already. It's called the SE++ Job Thread, and it's filled with a bunch of cool dudes, dudettes, and at least one moon.

Also, good luck lemurs, and congratulatory red pandas.
    These are important features of the SE++ Job Thread, and shouldn't be left out when describing it.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »

Also, good luck lemurs, and congratulatory red pandas.
    These are important features of the SE++ Job Thread, and shouldn't be left out when describing it.

Shoot, how'd I forget about those?

Is there a Bad Form Robin? If not someone should find one, 'cause I certainly deserve to be given one.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Aye, i've been trawling that thread at work, but it just seems to be more talking about the work day. I tend not to post much of my own in there because most of my work day is on here, TVTropes, and GAF (i am severely lucky to get paid for this, and paid pretty well, though it will end come April 22nd and i need something permanent quick).

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    If you've been looking for work steady for 3 years and have only gotten a couple bites, chances are your resume and cover letter needs work, too.

In fact, based on your conception of job interviews before, do you write cover letters? A new one for each job?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Aye, i've been trawling that thread at work, but it just seems to be more talking about the work day. I tend not to post much of my own in there because most of my work day is on here, TVTropes, and GAF (i am severely lucky to get paid for this, and paid pretty well, though it will end come April 22nd and i need something permanent quick).

Eh, there's plenty of us that are more than happy to help on interviews and other items too. Every company is different in what they look for in an interviewee, but if there's a default, it's happy, motivated and detail-oriented.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Welp, there's the phone call I've been dreading and also waiting for with baited breath.

Interview is tonight. Suit's on, and ready to go (well not really but here we go anyway). Time to see if I've 'still got it'(and by 'still got it' I mean 'still can't pass an interview to save my life'. Please God tell me I don't still got it).

Thanks for the advice & well wishing, thread.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage