As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: We're All Delayed Until November 29

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Goodbye Galuf, hello Gil Turtle

and I now remember this is why I stopped the playthrough I got the farthest in

but new plan: go in with a Summoner and cast Blink and Golem while I go Blizzaga sword on it

see how that works

sig.gif
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Now that FFIX is on PC, I cheated JUST a bit.

The only thing I did was put Thief's Gloves in my inventory so Zidane could learn Master Thief at the very beginning. Makes my compulsion to steal everything MUCH more manageable. Definitely did not want to spend hours restarting Beatrix to get all of her items.

I don't blame you.

Seeing *miss* 3 or 4 times in a row got old fast.

Remember what a pain getting the items from Beatrix was cause of the time limit.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I like cheating.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular

The only thing I did was put Thief's Gloves in my inventory so Zidane could learn Master Thief at the very beginning. Makes my compulsion to steal everything MUCH more manageable. Definitely did not want to spend hours restarting Beatrix to get all of her items.
    so

I realize this might point down a path of darkness but

if you're willing to cheat to put Thief Gloves in your inventory so that you don't have to worry about missing stolen items

why wouldn't you just do the fight and then cheat the steal-able items into your inventory

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The Sauce wrote: »

so

if you're willing to cheat to put Thief Gloves in your inventory so that you don't have to worry about missing stolen items

why wouldn't you just do the fight and then cheat the steal-able items into your inventory

Cause Thievery and he didn't want all the items just to make steal more consistent probably.

Just cause you want to reduce tedium doesn't mean you don't want to play the game.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

but new plan: go in with a Summoner and cast Blink and Golem while I go Blizzaga sword on it

see how that works

I always preferred the knight strategy because I'm lazy.

Also the phone version of 5 isn't so bad. I've been playing it on and off and it's pretty alright?

Better than ff6 at least. Because it does feel like a general upgrade instead of the weird ff6 side grade/mauling.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Really, if someone said "I'll put the thief gloves in your inventory" I wouldn't turn that down. But I've been OK proceeding without cheats, and simply deciding not to steal the Mythril Sword from Beatrix. I'm now at the Hilgigars fight (the guy with the Fairy Flute), and I may try a few more times to steal that from him before I give up.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options

see how that works

I always preferred the knight strategy because I'm lazy.

Also the phone version of 5 isn't so bad. I've been playing it on and off and it's pretty alright?

Better than ff6 at least. Because it does feel like a general upgrade instead of the weird ff6 side grade/mauling.

The mobile/Steam version is just uuuugly. In every other way it's a completely fine port of FF5 (except the Steam version has garbage controls because it's a direct port of the mobile version)

Also if all else fails sure I'll use the Knight strategy but part of me just really doesn't wanna put any AP into Bards because c'mon.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Bard is a solid job in FFV (actually this is true for almost every job in that game; probably only the Geomancer is truly questionable). In the mid-game you can use their songs to confuse all enemies, which is very useful for random encounters when the difficulty spikes (which should be happening fairly soon in your game). Late-game you can get songs for them* that buff stats or even levels of all your characters, which is great for sending your various multi-attacking offense builds through the roof and other trickery.

* Play every piano you see! Every goddamn one!

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Of course anything bard can do chemist can do better.

Cue cheesy jingle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Just looked up VIP on YouTube

Did they seriously make a whole game where the shooting is just cover shooting and all the hand to hand combat is QTE?

Yo that legit sounds right up my fucking alley

EDIT: Factory sealed copy on eBay for $7 with free shipping? Bought.

yeah there is very little "game" in the vip game

it is like one of those weird arcade things you'd see at a bar

only with a dumb as hell story acted out by the cast of smash hit television show, vip

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I'm pretty sure I never ever steal in RPGs unless there's something major I'll get out of it

And a weapon ain't gonna cut it

Stealing is tedious as shit

EDIT: Aside from Rikku's "steal" being "kill all robots"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The only FF I remember being dedicated to manually "stealing" in was FF8, insomuch as "Draw" was effectively "Steal" when it came to GFs. In FF12 I set up gambits to auto-steal so it was painless.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »

so

One reason is that you can only turn items into other items using cheats in this game. You can't assign an itemID to a blank slot, you can only reassign an existing itemID in a particular slot to another one. You COULD be constantly swapping an item you want with something mundane like a potion, equipping it, and change back to a potion, but that seems like a lot of work.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/25/aksys-localizing-exist-archive-side-sky/

PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in North America on October 18, 2016. Woohoo!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Holy shit you can encounter the Gil Turtle more than once?

First time took forever and I got it again the very next step!

Fuck!

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Holy shit I just did it after trying all day

Met that damn turtle 4 TIMES on that run

Ended with Bard Krile floating with 1 HP, singing Requiem

That fucking did it

I'm shaking

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Congrats, Simben! I remember stumbling across that tunnel with the increasing gil awards waaay back in the day, and then freaking the fuck out when the turtle appeared. I don't think I ever dreamed of trying to beat it!

Also, as much as I don't like Eiko's archetype, she's really, really cute and that cooking scene was adorable and I am thankful I remembered to count Quina when figuring how many people to cook dinner for

And I got to the <Tinkle> scene, which I knew at some point was a thing but then forgot. :lol: It's very... 90s? (00s?) Just feels like a scene from a gaming era long past... As are a few other moments in this game.

signature.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Europe is a legacy-platform, oh no.

• Options
    Nothing is as enjoyable as casting Life on a zombie. (I'm in the Ilfa Tree in FF9)

This is some Great Crystal shit right here (or I guess, the Great Crystal was very.. Ilfa Tree)

signature.png
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I never ever steal in RPGs unless there's something major I'll get out of it

And a weapon ain't gonna cut it

Stealing is tedious as shit

EDIT: Aside from Rikku's "steal" being "kill all robots"

Mug for dayyyyyyyys

• Options
    Evil talking trees!!!!!

signature.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Well

the Pyramid's hard

Specifically because Lenna was my healer and now I have to drag a vanilla White Mage around with me and I'm already down a party member, this is killing my DPS

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

That fucking did it

I'm shaking

Your greatest legacy secured.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

That fucking did it

I'm shaking

Your greatest legacy secured.

My greatest legacy is currently dressed as a Power Ranger and has been suckling for like 3 hours straight like damn boy give mom a break.

sig.gif
  • Options
    This hot new JRPG came in the mail today

tg0JzOil.jpg

Have some schoolwork to finish and then I'm gonna dig into it

• Options
    Ah yes, noted JRPG VIP Starring Pamela Anderson As Vallery Irons

sig.gif
  • Options
    Hey guys I couldn't find a thread for it but is there a particular server folks from here use on FFXIV?

Not planning on going deep on it at the moment but I did download the free trial.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Hey guys I couldn't find a thread for it but is there a particular server folks from here use on FFXIV?

Not planning on going deep on it at the moment but I did download the free trial.

There were some forumers on Sargatanas or whatever, that's also where I play when my subscription is current which is not now

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    GHOSTS (Ghosts in the Linkshell) is the Penny Arcade Free Company (FC, or Guild) on Sargatanas server. I think it is on Exodus server group. It is an older server and one of the richer, with all that entails. It is pretty busy and depending on your location you may need to set an alarm clock to be able to create a character on the server due to the time restrictions they put in place. If you do create a character on the server, feel free to get in touch with me. I can provide some lowbie crafted gear for free (all the way up to level 50 or so) and if you want I can also provide a recruit a friend code which will get you (and me) some in game benefits if you decide to subscribe for at least a month.

I am not currently in the GHOSTS FC, but would be happy to help out a newbie with questions and running some dungeons if you want.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Yeah, the GHOST Free Company is big and wealthy and very helpful to new people.

Unfortunately, Sargatanas can be difficult to create a new character on (you pretty much have to do it early morning or late evening).

I've actually been planning on getting back on after finishing Dark Souls to level up my paladin.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I got to the beginning of Disc 3 in FF9 -- it was a pretty sharp story jump, so I could tell that there was a disc change even if there wasn't an indicator.

One weird thing that is really getting to me now is that half the time, characters have their speech in quotation marks... and then the other half of the time, they do not. The copy editing in this is going to drive me nuts.

(But the story is really sweet so far)
    I don't know why I assumed that Garnet was going to not have any feelings about Brahne, but that belief kinda built itself over the years. I'm very happy to be proven wrong in that, and the concern she had for her adoptive mom was touching.

And having Eiko be the "Gee I better tone down my nonsense with Garnet" for Zidane was pretty good use of her character

Kuja continues to make absolutely zero sense, but he's an FF villain, I guess he doesn't need any sense. But if it comes down to finesse he really isn't measuring up to anyone before him either

signature.png
  • Options
    Well that launcher sure does not handle the computer going to sleep very well.

Let's start over that 12 gig patch with the mouse jiggler on this time, guess I'm not starting tonight.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »
    I got to the beginning of Disc 3 in FF9 -- it was a pretty sharp story jump, so I could tell that there was a disc change even if there wasn't an indicator.

One weird thing that is really getting to me now is that half the time, characters have their speech in quotation marks... and then the other half of the time, they do not. The copy editing in this is going to drive me nuts.

I don't know why I assumed that Garnet was going to not have any feelings about Brahne, but that belief kinda built itself over the years. I'm very happy to be proven wrong in that, and the concern she had for her adoptive mom was touching.

And having Eiko be the "Gee I better tone down my nonsense with Garnet" for Zidane was pretty good use of her character

Kuja continues to make absolutely zero sense, but he's an FF villain, I guess he doesn't need any sense. But if it comes down to finesse he really isn't measuring up to anyone before him either

Kuja actually ends up having one of the more believable and near-sympathetic motivations in the series. He's probably my second-favorite FF villain (although maybe it's just the fact that I'm playing FF5 for the first time at 31 years old but Exdeath is kinda starting to climb up there just for the ham factor).

sig.gif
  • Options
    Kuja is there to have a cool theme and that's kinda it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrG1IGNjl4Q

Seriously

If I were a pro wrestler that would be my entrance theme

• Options
    I mean his motivation isn't quite as good as Xande but it's up there.

Also seriously Xande gets all my sympathy. I'd be all about murdering everyone too at that point.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »

Kuja actually ends up having one of the more believable and near-sympathetic motivations in the series. He's probably my second-favorite FF villain (although maybe it's just the fact that I'm playing FF5 for the first time at 31 years old but Exdeath is kinda starting to climb up there just for the ham factor).

ExDeath is the great.

He was also my favorite Dissidia character, even if the AI wouldn't let you play him right.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    @SimBen You can probably get a character made around 6am PST if Sargantanas is still getting locked.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    @SimBen You can probably get a character made around 6am PST if Sargantanas is still getting locked.

Also you can get your character all made up anytime, and save the appearance settings for when you can actually make them.

Also also, just as a tip, you can't start as a rogue because it was a class added in later in the game. So if you want to be a rogue/ninja start as either an arcanist or warrior. Both those classes start in the same city as the rogue's guild, so you can change over at lvl 10 when you unlock class change. The rest of the classes have to get to lvl 15 to gain access to airships first.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Or start as a Pugilist because you'll need that at level 15 to unlock the Ninja job.

This discussion has been closed.