As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Coup d'etat attempt in Turkey

ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
edited July 2016 in Social Entropy++

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    There are reports that the military's helicopters unloaded on the Turkey MIT building (their FBI equivalent, I believe).

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    What in the hell

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    telegraph live thread is reporting that it's currently police vs. military right now

which would be bad odds maybe I guess?

This is their live thing

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/15/turkey-low-flying-jets-and-gunfire-heard-in-ankara1/

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What the fuck

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    "All existing foreign relations will continue"
    Uhhhhh kinda not your call to make, bros????

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I hope the state department or the president makes some official statements pretty goddamn soon. I want to know if the coup's actually been successful, and what actions, if any, the US might consider in response to this.

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    You know? Fuck it

I don't even know if I can keep up with 2016 at the moment

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Apparently this isn't the first attempted military coup in Turkey.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    I hope the state department or the president makes some official statements pretty goddamn soon. I want to know if the coup's actually been successful, and what actions, if any, the US might consider in response to this.

I am hoping America stays the fuck out of this.

• Options
    This is the... fifth Turkish coup since WW2?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

erdogan has been pretty close to america so...

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

And he's a pretty popular elected figure in Turkey?

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Apparently this isn't the first attempted military coup in Turkey.

No, if anything we were way overdue for one considering there was one roughly every decade since 1960 and the last one was in 1997...

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

This is gonna be really weird because Turkey is a US ally and a NATO member. I don't know how they approach this.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

America's not going to stay out of it. We have military bases in Turkey. If the coup is totally successful hopefully we won't take direct military action at least. In the case of a successful coup, I think that at best we're going to temporarily beef up our military presence around Turkey to strengthen our bargaining position with a new government.

Gundi on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Yeah so how would this work with the whole nato thing

And the wanting to be part of the eu thing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Apparently in previous instances of Turkey having a coup NATO hasn't gotten involved - It's an internal matter

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

This is gonna be really weird because Turkey is a US ally and a NATO member. I don't know how they approach this.

How did we approach it before? What's different today besides ISIL?

• Options

mixed bag

he's a populist but is also popular in the west and has good relations with the EU and the states despite being Sunni, which pisses off a lot of other Sunni

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure half the time we were usually backing the coup one way or another

Turkey borders the USSR after all

• Options

the obama admins raging drone erection?

• Options
    While Turkey is a US ally Erdogan himself isn't exactly, from my limited understanding

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I don't think any countntry is going to anything for now as long as foreign military bases and diplomats are being left alone. Internal matter for now.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Most of my knowledge of Edrogan is he's kinda an authoritarian shithead who's been using the situation in Syria as an excuse to pursue a vendetta against the Kurds, which just contributes to the Syria problem.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Most of my knowledge of Edrogan is he's kinda an authoritarian shithead who's been using the situation in Syria as an excuse to pursue a vendetta against the Kurds, which just contributes to the Syria problem.

He also led some pretty brutal crackdowns on protesters who were against the demolition of a park a few years ago. That was the first time I had really heard of him.

• Options
    I've heard that Erdogan has left the country and that he is in Marmaris.

So it's still a bunch of confusion

• Options
    Kinda in a situation of "Coup bad but.... fuck Edrogan"

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

mixed bag

he's a populist but is also popular in the west and has good relations with the EU and the states despite being Sunni, which pisses off a lot of other Sunni

Good relationship with Europe is pushing it. Probably treated more as a necessity because of the middle east and the refugee crisis

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Turkey had also been (and still was, to me knowledge) being used as a staging area for US airstrikes against ISIS. Which I imagine will come to a swift stop.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Erdogan is a fucking tyrant plain and simple. He is also responsible for the de-secularisation that has been happening which i see as a very bad thing.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwanie wrote: »
    Erdogan is a fucking tyrant plain and simple. He is also responsible for the de-secularisation that has been happening which i see as a very bad thing.

Apparently the military agrees with you

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    The military has always been wary of Erdogan and AKP because of their Islamist background. The Ataturk constitution is aggressively secular and republican, and the Army has historically taken "defending the constitution" to include stifling Islamist political power.
    Javen wrote: »
    Turkey had also been (and still was, to me knowledge) being used as a staging area for US airstrikes against ISIS. Which I imagine will come to a swift stop.

Depends strongly on which side the coup is coming from. It's possible they consider Erdogan to have been too soft and equivocal about dealing with ISIS. (it's also possible they don't care about IS and want to focus on smacking down the Kurds instead)

• Options

I don't know it seems like the Turkish and US military are on the same page with that?

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular

CNN is making a note that there's a standing policy that the US doesn't deal with leadership of military coups, but saying It's kind of a who knows what they'll decide

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    eKKNxnb.png

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    honovere wrote: »

mixed bag

Good relationship with Europe is pushing it. Probably treated more as a necessity because of the middle east and the refugee crisis

Yeah he's by no means popular in Europe. He's been pushing Turkey from "a more or less secucular, basically democratic republic" to "theocratic dictatorship in all but name" step by step as fast as he could. Turkey's military has always seen itself as the guardian of Ataturk's secular legacy, and every time an Erdogan pops up in Turkey, they kick him out, run the place for a few years and then eventually gradually restore civil institutions.

V1m on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Why? ISIS are the antithesis of what Turkey's military establishment want.