As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Filling A Table In Adobe Illustrator

Design people, you are my only hope.

I made a table in In Design, filled it with data, and brought it into illustrator.
I can't seem to fill individual cells with different colors and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Why do you want to bring it into Illustrator? I've never brought a table in. Does it convert the table lines to strokes or are there shapes?

You could use Live Paint, depending on what Illustrator is doing to the table. Or fill the cells with a colour in InDesign before bringing it over, so you have coloured shapes to change in Illustrator.

But really, why? Why can't you just use InDesign? You can do quite a bit in InDesign when it comes to table styling. It's just not as easy as say, Word.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    @Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud

Fired it up to test and see. If you're dealing with a plain old table in InDesign, then you copy and paste into Illustrator, it will just turn the table outlines into paths. To colour the cells:

1) Move all your data/text layers to a different layer so it's easier to select only your lines (paths)
    2) Select all of the lines in the table
    3) Choose Object>Compound Path>Make
    4) Choose the Live Paint tool
    5) Select a colour, and click the cell you want to colour in

If you don't want the black lines in your table, you can just set the stroke colour to 'none'.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    thank you very much!