As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Discovering [Star Trek] on Netflix

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I see the "he's never done anything like it" argument a lot. But my counter argument is: The Russo Brothers.

Feel free to check out their filmography before Marvel (for some reason) tapped them for Winter Soldier.

Yeah.

Not saying he can't do something good with Star Trek, just that I would never have picked him to do something with Trek. And that he's far from a death sentence for the franchise, given some of the truly turdmendously bad stuff that's been done with it.

But considering the wildly inconsistent quality of the franchise, I'd bet Paramount would let any filmmaker known for making money take a swing at the series. They don't give a shit about the quality, they just want the money. I don't know much about Tarantino's interests, but I'd bet that at least he has some personal liking for Trek and that he pursued the chance himself, which is something positive.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Bonus if it's a mirror universe movie
    mb2.jpg

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Man, a movie from the Mirror Universe POV would be kind of cool.

Even more bonus points if they get McAvoy in there to be Mirror Universe Picard.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I see the "he's never done anything like it" argument a lot. But my counter argument is: The Russo Brothers.

Feel free to check out their filmography before Marvel (for some reason) tapped them for Winter Soldier.

Yeah.

That's not necessarily what happens with every director. The same director of Book of Henry gave us Jurassic World.

• Options

Yeah.

That's not necessarily what happens with every director. The same director of Book of Henry gave us Jurassic World.

Very true, but in this case we already know Tarantino is actually talented.

• Options

Yeah.

Very true, but in this case we already know Tarantino is actually talented.

He is talented, but this is something else entirely outside his signature style. Either way it'll be entertaining.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    While I'm certainly curious, to, me it reeks of desperation. That they're willing to try anything to rejuvenate the franchise since Discovery just isn't really cutting it in my book.

• Options
    it's not like they were fishing names out of a hat, Tarantino approached them with his idea.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    VoodooV wrote: »
    While I'm certainly curious, to, me it reeks of desperation. That they're willing to try anything to rejuvenate the franchise since Discovery just isn't really cutting it in my book.

Paramount is a separate company from CBS now and doesn't have any particular stake in Discovery

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I'm not sure audience reaction to the first season of Discovery indicates anything long term.

The first seasons of TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise were all controversial if not outright derided. Fan opinion didn't really solidify until the third or fourth season on all but Enterprise.

That said, the only way I want to see the TNG crew again is if they finally do a Q movie. I'll never understand how we got "hippie immortal luddites" and "literally an evil clone" before we got Q in a movie.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Picard Q dialogue written by Tarantino.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Picard Q dialogue written by Tarantino.

my body is ready

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Well if it's good enough for Patrick Stewart, it's good enough for lesser beings like us.

Then again, the Emoji Movie was good enough for Patrick Stewart...

sig.gif
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Fuck it, I'm down for a Tarantino Trek movie. I didn't see ST:Beyond which I understand is not crap, but the last not-horrible Trek movie I saw was First Contact and even that does not hold up well. Patrick Stewart is good, but the rest is kind of hit or miss. Tarantino doing this might suck, but we could at least get some interesting camera work and a nice soundtrack out of it, and even if it sucks it will most likely suck in new and interesting ways, which is more than what I can say about the last five (?) movies in the series.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options

Yeah.

Not saying he can't do something good with Star Trek, just that I would never have picked him to do something with Trek. And that he's far from a death sentence for the franchise, given some of the truly turdmendously bad stuff that's been done with it.

But considering the wildly inconsistent quality of the franchise, I'd bet Paramount would let any filmmaker known for making money take a swing at the series. They don't give a shit about the quality, they just want the money. I don't know much about Tarantino's interests, but I'd bet that at least he has some personal liking for Trek and that he pursued the chance himself, which is something positive.

Unfortunately they were on the right track with Beyond, but Into Darkness thwarted their attempt at soft rebooting the franchise.

• Options

Yeah.

Unfortunately they were on the right track with Beyond, but Into Darkness thwarted their attempt at soft rebooting the franchise.

Beyond came after Into Darkness. And I agree, it's on a much better track.

• Options
    I wonder what music he'd use, apart from Beastie Boys that is.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    A tarantino trek movie?

phasers create lots of gore, 20 minute long conversations about the prime directive with witty dialogue, an extended close up camera shot of a female ensign's bare feet

sure why not

override367 on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    A tarantino trek movie?

phasers create lots of gore, 20 minute long conversations about the prime directive with witty dialogue, an extended close up camera shot of a female ensign's bare feet

sure why not

Wait, we're involving Joss Whedon now too?
    I didn't know that's also a Tarantino thing.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

Yeah.

I think what he means is that Beyond underperformed because people were expecting a bucket of warm dog vomit like Into Darkness.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Beyond had a lot of problems but it felt much more like a Star Trek adventure than Into Darkness, and it didn't rely on references to a much better movie

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    I finished the part half of Season 1 of Discovery. I actually like it. The two biggest annoyances for me with Discovery so far are Michael Burnham and the Klingon scenes. I actually enjoyed the final episode with the Klingons better when they were being universally translated, but a part from that. I'm eager to see the rest of season 1 take off.

• Options
    Beyond had a lot of problems but it felt much more like a Star Trek adventure than Into Darkness, and it didn't rely on references to a much better movie

And Beyond had Scotty's "stick in a bundle" line.

Which, honestly, if the whole movie was just opening credits>that scene>end credits, it would have been a better, less nonsensical Trek movie than Into Darkness.

• Options
    He may be the only person who remembers Insurrection. On purpose, at least.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    He admits as much in that tweet, I think.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Opinions and all that, but all of the JJ-verse trek movies were a bust. Fun to watch, sure, but just...empty otherwise.

• Options

it felt more like a star trek adventure to me than about half of the original 10 movies

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea Beyond had its issues, and the JJ-verse has its own issues, so you get compounding issues there, but it still felt more like star trek than STID.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I just enjoy the fact that the best Trek movie of the last 10 or 15 years was directed by the guy from The Fast and the Furious.

• Options
    But, to be fair, it was also written by Simon Pegg rather than Orci/Kurtzman. So it's also got that going for it.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Yeah.

I think what he means is that Beyond underperformed because people were expecting a bucket of warm dog vomit like Into Darkness.

The trailer really didn't help it there.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

it felt more like a star trek adventure to me than about half of the original 10 movies
    Insert list of terrible Trek episodes that share elements with all of the crap ST movies.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »

Insert list of terrible Trek episodes that share elements with all of the crap ST movies.

Sure, you could do that. But why?

• Options

I don't know. Why does the thread do it every time someone doesn't like something in Discovery?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I really really enjoyed Beyond

I also really enjoyed hearing my mother audibly sigh and roll her eyes with the tiny tiny bit of gay rep in the film so that was worth it as well

• Options

I don't know. Why does the thread do it every time someone doesn't like something in Discovery?

Because it's tiresome hearing "this has never been done in Star Trek" when it has, and I'm perfectly certain you knew that already.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I finally got around to watching the last aired episode of Discovery this weekend, and for the first time I found myself downright excited. I'd enjoyed the rest of the series to date, but I thought it was okay and had a lot of promise but it wasn't great; this ep was a marked improvement in terms of pacing, I felt. At the same time, I do think that the writing is the series' weakest link; at best it's functional, at worst it's clunky. The actors are all doing a great job, but they're working hard to make the script work.

Also: the universal translator introduced in the episode is obviously the series' new MVP. I didn't mind the subtitles, but I definitely minded the actors playing Klingons struggling to make their scenes dramatically interesting while fighting the prosthetics/language combo.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    But, to be fair, it was also written by Simon Pegg rather than Orci/Kurtzman. So it's also got that going for it.

It was this close to being directed by Orci.

• Options

It was this close to being directed by Orci.

Written AND directed by Orci, no less. Close call with that dark future timeline.

This discussion has been closed.