As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[IC] Vampire: The Masquerade - The Restless City

13468932

Posts

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    Upon being made aware of the group's arrival, the man looks up from a ledger, staring to each of your faces in turn. "You'll have to be more specific..." A pointedly skeptical look to Bulldog's less-than-professional garb. "Sir. We expect a great many people, so I will have to ask that you state the nature of your business, your names, and write them down... neatly." The ledger is slid across the counter, with a metallic pen waiting upon the mostly empty page.

    rpcJVoo.png
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Alex steps forward to grab the ledger. "Forgive our appearances friend. The mess outside, " his head nods towards the doors " has everyone a bit out of sorts."

    He quickly writes his name. "Julia sent for us. We really don't want to keep her waiting."
    Rolling Charisma+Empathy+Presence for smoothing things over.

    Geth, roll 7d10o10h8 for Making Friends

    Making Friends:
    7d10o10h8 4 [7d10o10h8=4, 9, 5, 8, [10, 8], 1, 4]

    AustinP0027 on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Max signs next.

    "As you well know, when the Prince summons, you answer the call. But our deepest apologies for the... less than ideal circumstances of our appearance. We would have done it properly, but Princeley matters require urgency, I'm afraid"

  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    Danny was too slow to interject before anyone put pen to paper. Once he got the chance, he quickly leafed through the ledger, both to make sure it wasn't out of the ordinary, and to make a mental note of any 'interesting' names. He offered the attendant a weak, apologetic smile, and then, if everything looked fine, signed the ledger.
    "Sorry all. Never know."
    Per 3 Investigation 3 Auspex 2 sounds about right?
    Geth roll 8d10o10h8 for Examine Ledger

    Examine Ledger:
    8d10o10h8 4 [8d10o10h8=9, 7, 8, [10, 10, 5], 1, 6, 1, 3]

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Bulldog wrote his name, Bobby Lenko, into the ledger. He then leaned against a wall, waiting for the others to sign.

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Deke shrugged, scrawling his name in the ledger. It was mostly an unrecognizable squiggle. It seemed an odd thing; he would have thought they would sign in blood, but he shrugged it off as fanciful imagination. They did have serious business to discuss.

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    Lizzy signed her name on the ledger and waited. Maybe she could catch Sybil here, but she doubt it. Two royal summons in two nights was really going to eat into her work time.

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    @Maclay
    The tablet is awash with myriad sparkles.

    "Yes, tonight seems most unpleasant. Rest assured no such urban quarrels will trouble us here." Alex's approach seems to put the man's temperament at ease, but business is business, and so he patiently awaits until each of you have signed.

    Although Max's remarks in particular seem to draw a questioning look. "This is a corporate establishment, and we most certainly do not adhere to a monarchy." Either he's not familiar with Cainite politics, or more likely, not privy to that sort of knowledge at all. Fortunately, he seems to not dwell on the odd remarks much.

    "Well met. You may proceed." He gives a nod of his head to the elevator at the left, and the doors open on cue. "Proceed to the ninth floor. No other."

    Whether or not you heed his direction seems to be no concern. He retires to his seat, and returns his attention to a panel beneath the counter.

    rpcJVoo.png
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Alex thanks the guard, and proceeds to walk down to the elevator on their left. He enters, and awaits the group. Without waiting, he presses the button for the ninth floor, and holds the 'door open' button to allow the others to join him. Regardless of curiosities that may be peaking due to the secrecy that surrounds this place, he figures it's best not to draw the ire of anyone here with their unwelcome intruding anywhere other than where they were requested to be.

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    With a quick nod, Lizzy heads off behind Alex to the elevator.

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Max halfsmiles in embarrassment, and heads to the elevator with the rest.

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Bulldog stared for a moment too long at the man behind the desk, idly cracking a knuckle or two, before following the rest of the crew into the elevator.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    Seeing the others start moving Danny follows suit and silently walks towards the elevator.

  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Deke shakes his head, frowning at the man as he goes past. "That was the oddest doorman," he says, tapping 9 on the elevator's panel.

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    @Boozer
    The man seems to have no reaction to the gesture, if it even went noticed, though you have the oddest sensation of being watched as the elevator doors close.

    The inside of the elevator is as clinical as the rest of the building, though an oddly pleasant bit of elevator music accompanies the ascent. The numbers seem to ascend at an unusual rate of progression, some floors taking an excessive amount of time to pass, others going by in an instant.

    Then finally, the doors again part, revealing a narrow hallway lined with offices, each door seeming as nondescript and blank as the next, with the exception of a single door on the far left. It is open just enough to reveal a rectangular boardroom, one wall consisting of several windows offering a generous view of the city, both its extensive lighting and the occasional signs of fire.

    The remainder of the hall has the illusion of extending well into infinity, unless that happens to be its true design.

    "If they call this their idea of a 'armistice', then I will trust you to show them how we define the term."

    At the opposing end of the lone table within the room, the seated Prince does not sound pleased.

    "With all due respect, we have no way of confirming this is their doing... they are clever enough to use unaffiliated gangs and thugs, no one truly bearing their mark."

    And the Seneschal at her right seems to be doing a poor job of placating her discontent.

    "It is them. There is no doubt in my mind. Do not waste my time with your mewling. Return with proof of their involvement, and we will have ample cause to burn their squalid hives to dust."

    "...as you wish." Kenneth sounds as if he's been resigned to an impossible task, yet tries his best to offer your group a pleasant nod as he moves past you and exits the way you came.

    "My apologies. This is a difficult night, but it will not delay our affairs any longer. Do sit." Julia beckons to the expanse of the elongated surface before her.
    "I gather we have much to discuss."

    rpcJVoo.png
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Deke nods. "Yes, my prince." He pulls the letter free of his jacket, placing it on the table and pushing it toward the Tremere. "For the gratification of my coterie, who have not yet seen that letter, it is from our cousins in Chinatown. They are displeased with our trespass, even though we damaged nothing. We have been warned not to do so again."

    He then sits, having addressed his piece of the puzzle.

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    "I believe we should start from the top." Elizabeth gives Deke a look.
    "We found Li Feng Chai at his shop.
    Outside, we encountered a young man that tried to stop us from going down the alley.
    After he insulted Danny's sexuality, Bulldog threaten him verbally.
    The young man left and we entered the shop and meet with Chai.
    While we spoke to him, the young man found some tough guys nearby.
    Chai said that the Nosferatu ran because something old is hunting them.
    'From the depths' were the words spoken from him.
    What it was he didn't know nor could say
    Except that we would be wise to follow the Nosferatu way."

    "We ran out of shop through a secret door
    And I saw a man we had seen before.
    A hobo we meet even before we entered China Town
    Was in the alleyway, staring us down."

    "We left China Town,
    taking a long way around.
    And I returned to my home.
    When I got a strange call on my phone.
    It was broken, static like, but a few words I could make.
    I'll repeat them back but it's going to upset my Malkavian state."

    Elizabeth took a deep breath, knowing that not completing the rhyme scheme would cause her to suffer a massive headache.
    "The.... ats... too deep. Something... -oke. Hunting them. Hunting you. Turn back. Return to the light. Or the shadow will pursue and consume you next.'"

    Saying so much without rhyming caused a massive fire of pain strike her behind her eyes. She held up her finger to say to give her a minute before laying her head down on the table, to wait it out the migrate from hell.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Alex took a seat as Deke and Elizabeth explained the occurrences from the previous night. Given that he had been a bit enamored when they were talking with Li Feng, he didn't have much to add to the conversation. And, if he admitted it only to himself, the Prince still intimidated him a bit, so he found himself observing and listening more than speaking for now.

  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    Danny sat down, again silently and seemingly distracted in deep thought. He spoke up once the others were done.
    "With regards to the mysterious hobo slash vagrant slash homeless person slash whatever, I am inclined to believe that he is a representative of or is himself that which hunts the Nosferatu. That he may be using our own investigation as a shortcut to finding that which he seeks. However, I can not rule out the possibility that he has targeted me personally, as on at least one occasion I am reasonably certain I have spotted him following me while I was not in the presence of the others. His ability to track me slash us appears to be mystical in nature. If we can not arrange a defense against that, I would recommend confronting him before we inadvertently give him any useful information. In the worst case scenario you would simply need to recruit a new group of expendable investigators."
    Danny returns to silence.

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Bulldog returned the nod of the Seneschal before sitting down at the table to join the rest.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    The Prince maintains a passive demeanor while taking in the wealth of information, though none of it escapes her attention. Then when at last everyone has said their peace, she takes the letter, unfolds it, and considers its contents.

    "Have you shared its words with your fellows?" A pause, before Julia runs the underside of her index finger along a portion of the writing, then draws the same finger to her lips. "Mortal." She then slides the letter back to its owner, as if it is no longer of any worth. "Do so if you like. Then burn it."

    "Now, as for you, my dear. And this... 'hobo', as you so eloquently describe him. He is known to toy with those of your..." The Prince hesitates, considering her words carefully. "Temperament. That would be Miser, your Primogen. Less an ideal candidate and more due to an uncontested claim, you understand. He tends to be beyond my comprehension. Perhaps speaking with him at some point will aid him being within yours." Her gaze travels between Lizzy and Danny. "He does not speak with any beyond those aligned to the Moon. Any insights he shares would be to the two of you, alone. I trust you both to share anything of value he has, shrouded within his madness though it certainly will be." At the notion of him being aligned to the Nosferatu, she gives a mirthless laugh. "There is no love lost between him and the soothsayers, I assure you. Any relations they maintained were strictly business, if that, but I suspect Calebros had no more use for his parlor tricks than any of his pets would."

    Julia rises from her seat and goes to the window, staring out at a fixed point in the distance, most likely one of the points that seems most chaotic. "When we pair what you've learned with the ramifications of that letter as well as the research I have commissioned, our troubles become twofold. One. Something hunted the Nosferatu. On that we can be clear. Their designs on my city are as of yet, unclear. For now, I believe they remain in the dark. Perhaps they will be sated with that, so long as none trespass in their domicile of filth. We can hope, at least.

    "Two. This 'Triad', as they call themselves, did not take our visit lightly. In fact, they seem to have considered it a grave offense. They are not foolish enough to take the fight to us, no. Those cowardly wretches would not dare. Instead they send a message." An outstretched hand motions to the skyline beyond the window. "They wish to bring a taste of chaos to my city, a sample of the devastation they believe themselves capable of. I intend to send a message back." Julia then turns away from the window, looking to each of you in turn.

    "Find the source of this madness. If it is those savage foreigners, feed them all to their own fires, save but one. I want that one alive. I care not if it is a leader or a street thug. Bring that one to me, and me alone. If it is... something else, then and only then are you to gauge what it it capable of, and return with news. Do not engage it. This is a vague directive, yes, but you are all clearly more than capable enough of acting with minimal guidance. It is such a capacity that makes you so very useful, unlike so many others."

    Julia stares off to the door from which her Seneschal had departed, then retakes her seat. "You all will act in my name in this endeavor. I would not have you go unaided. State what you will need, within reason. I expect you to take the fight to these cretins, yes, but you will not bring further ruin to my city in the process. Do exert some restraint... some."

    rpcJVoo.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    Lizzy lifts her head off the table, clearly not completely over her migraine.
    "I was wondering if anyone you trust might be able to trace the source of the phone call.
    Even if we could pin down the cell towers the call traveled through, we could gleam info for us all."

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    "You speak of a difficult task, even for an accomplished technomancer. But if you want to relinquish your phone, an effort can be made."

    rpcJVoo.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    "Even something as who the number belongs too could be useful.
    Even the smallest detail can prove to be fruitful."
    Elizabeth says as she takes her phone out of her pocket. She shows the Prince the unlock code and which number it is before handing it to her.
    "I can tell my boss that I dropped my phone in water or something.
    Might be nice not having to worry about it ringing."

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Max speaks up "It may be easier to retrieve the informant you desire before we strike at the rest of them, provided at some point they separate. This will get complicated though, and if we go wrong, a war between the Camarilla and the Triad would be devastating to both, and pointless.

    And quite possibly what this or these hunters want. Something spooked the rulers of our city, to the point they relinquished their presence and their power. Lets be sure we aren't next on the menu. When we equip ourselves we need to be ready for a fight, but it needs to be on our terms, at our desire"



    Max turns to Lizzy, and raises an eyebrow
    "Also, something and ringing is the weakest rhyme ever"

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    "Try going one day with all your sentences having to rhyme.
    That's the hell I am force to go through for all time.
    If not, my head will feel as if it wishes to explode.
    That is part of existence that my sire bestowed.
    Which I am grateful for, but it does prove to be hard
    When your conversations must sound like you are a bard."

  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Deke shakes his head. "Capturing one of these triads should be relatively simple. Killing the rest could be difficult. I'm no fighter."

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    "Fighters or not, any of you that aren't armed will need weapons. Speak up if you need them. Knives and pistols at least, stuff you can hide under a jacket. Maybe a rifle or two with a good scope would be nice for those that are good shots. Since most of this crew aren't fighters, going after them with an ambush or at range might make the most sense. Like Max said, snatching someone first might be the right move, if we can do it quietly." Bulldog said.

    "We'll need another vehicle at least, in case we need to split up. Handcuffs too. We'll also need some spying equipment, low light cameras in case it turns out we aren't dealing with the Triads. Danny, you're good with that kind of stuff, any other ideas on that?" the biker asked.

    "Prince, if it is the Triads, where should we bring who we capture? Doorman downstairs seems... stubborn." Bulldog added.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Alex tapped his fingers lightly on the table as the others went back and forth. He made a mental note to talk with Max later. Elizabeth's rhyming was a little odd, and certainly required more focus to understand, but taking a jab at someone that you had just met wasn't necessarily the best way to build a social relationship. He expected his fellow Toreador to be a little more socially knowledgeable and behave as such.

    His attention was returned, however, by Bulldog's comments. He nodded in agreement. His skills if needed in combat were limited to some pistol work, but he would need to be able to be useful in that context, even if his primary asset was really his social graces.

    "I'll take a pistol. Not extremely picky what kind, but will need something in a medium caliber that isn't too heavy to carry around a lot. I can also drive whatever car we can get our hands on."

    AustinP0027 on
  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    "Suuure, totally, that's me, spy-guy.
    Trackers obviously. Even if they're just phones with 'Find my Device' turned on. Something smaller, fancier, more professional would be nice.
    Uh, I kinda feel like we should have at least one motorcycle- traffic, evasion, tight spaces, y'know.
    Shotgun or parabolic microphone maybe? I know some of us have really good hearing, but being able to record it would be good.
    I've got knives, an old set of knuckles, really more of a brawler than a shooter, but if someone wants me to have a gun, totally.
    Comm gear. Something subtle that means we don't have to text each other during important meetings.
    Do we need disguises or fancy outfits, or something?
    If we end up going into Nosferatu territory, probably need someone who knows the tunnels.
    Can we get anything for protection from magic?"

  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Deke shakes his head. "I've done some amateur boxing, but I don't know anything about weapons."

    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    Elizabeth cracked a smile, but not too big, her head was still reeling.
    "I kinda started a war in Seattle.
    So I know my way in urban battles."

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Shortly after taking the offered phone and giving it a cursory glance before pocketing it, the Prince observes Max through his suggestion, though she opts to ignore the back-and-forth between the two that follows. "A sound suggestion. I admit the desire to retaliate in kind may have clouded my judgment somewhat. If you can manage this task with minimal bloodshed, then I suppose it will be adequate. I would like it known that they crossed the wrong line this night, however. Should that message be sent in some form, it would be worthy of considerable favor.

    "A vehicle can be obtained. Some firearms as well, though try to use them tactfully." At Bobby's suggestion, there is a skeptical look of response. "I had envisioned your endeavors to involve more direct action, less than the clandestine sort, but such an approach isn't without merit. A directional microphone or some photography equipment would suffice, I trust. I will put you in contact with someone that can procure what you deem necessary, within reason. If he can not find it, he will know one who can. In regards to the 'doorman', he will act as needed if you speak on my behalf, which you will be doing."

    Danny soon receives a look that does not seem to approve of his suggestion, and there is no small amount of suspicion behind it. "I must ask why you suspect you will need any form of defense against 'magic'. Last I was aware, this is beyond the realm of both the Kuei-Jin and the Nosferatu, and artifacts of that sort are not given lightly. If ever." An outsider asking a Tremere for such things is widely known to be unwise. Asking one in a position of rule even more so.

    cj iwakura on
    rpcJVoo.png
  • MaclayMaclay Registered User regular
    "I mean no disrespect of course. It is simply in my nature to expect other, unseen players on the board and prepare as such. I will obviously cede to the wisdom of both my Prince and a powerful Tremere if she believes such a precaution unnecessary."

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    "Thank you for your help Prince. We'll make sure the Triads get the message, if it is them. If that's all, we'll get started." Bulldog said.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    "If no one has any further affairs, then... you all may proceed with your night. My hopes are that it shall proceed to the city's benefit, and your safe passage." Julia makes a point of a flourish as she beckons to the door. "An associate on the ground floor will see to your equipment needs." A pause, then her remark continues as she focuses her attention on Danny. "To an extent. I do not believe anti-magical gear will be necessary." Then, a thin smile, as if to lighten the mood. "Something to be grateful for, rest assured."

    Unless anyone has cause to linger in the Prince's company, the path back to the elevator will prove uneventful, unless an alternate route is taken, which does not seem wise. As the Prince stated, a young man awaits not far from the elevator, bearing a ledger with a list of the requested equipment that appears to have been hastily scribbled. "So, uh, I was told you all are gonna need a truck and some spec-ops gear?" It sounds as natural as if he were ordering take out. "Ms. Cardinal wasn't too specific, so, if you need anything special, might wanna say so."

    rpcJVoo.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

    "Is it possible to make us look like the local five-o?
    Riot Team if possible, just enough for the show.
    Normal people might just leave if we look like police
    Or not get in our way, at the very least."

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Alex nods along with Elizabeth's suggestion. "That's a really good idea. We'd need full riot gear if at all possible to really sell it, and with that it would give us a little extra firepower to work with." He surveyed the group again, trying to remember who felt strongly that their combat experience was limited to be a potential detriment. "Maybe with that we get some of surveillance gear that you were mentioning Danny to get Deke to give us a lookout as well. It would fit with the disguise."

    He paused, and turned again to Elizabeth. "Seriously. Really good idea."

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Max raises a finger, then seems to change his mind about what he's going to say.

    "I don't suppose we could acquire a suitable vehicle as well? I realize that's pushing things, but a squad car piling out of Deke's van would lead to... complications."

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    "I like the cop idea, nice." Bulldog nodded at Liz, then turned towards Max. "The van is mine. But you're right, if we can swing a police paddy wagon or squad car along with uniforms, that would be better."

    "Along with those we wanted handcuffs, body armor, knives and pistols. If we can swing riot gear then scoped rifles, shotguns, and heavier armor wouldn't look out of place. A directional mic, photography equipment, trackers, and communications gear, if you get a hold of it." Bulldog added.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
Sign In or Register to comment.