Options

The [chat] Where it Happens

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    @Blameless Cleric about music.

Ever listen to Of Monsters and Men?

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    Doctor Hakke "Peggy" Kage

(and peggy)

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    hakkewauling

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    How I know people lie about preferring coke over pepsi:

The 2 liter bottle of coke sat here for a week and a half before emptied and thrown away.

The 2 liter bottle of pepsi was gone in a day.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    @Blameless Cleric about music.

sounds familiar, I'm going to say yes

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Popping this in OP cause its too preshus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhUFZZ5sVrc

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    the more benign and kind of unfortunate kind where you're just using a white person in place of using a person of color

?

vanillaice_001.jpg

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    *finishes a project*

*rolls around on the floor*

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    nobody tell padly i'm going out to see electro swing tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDuQDJtyAOM

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    *finishes a project*

kindergartners have the best celebrations

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    to me there are two kinds of blackface

there's the straight up racist charicature bullshit we all know and love

and then there's, like, the more benign and kind of unfortunate kind where you're just using a white person in place of using a person of color, which ties in to whole lots of cultural baggage and underlying issues but to me isn't really the same kind of overtly offensive thing, it's just a bad thing that sort of erases the capability of people of color

and then there's, like, a kid who wants to dress up as luke cage for halloween and since the character is black, the kid blacks his skin, and like, it's completely not racist, but also it's like

dude you don't have to do that just because the character you love has been presented to you as a black man

which, i mean, luke cage maybe not the best example since his is an explicitly black story but

okay pretend i said i dunno for some reason some kid wants to dress up as hancock after seeing the will smith movie in 2016 i don't know why that would happen but

isn't the second thing usually called whitewashing and not really ever blackface

yeah

i dunno if distinctions like that aren't eroding these days though

why would they be eroding

the meanings don't really seem to overlap

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    *finishes a project*

If you never hit compile, you never have to fix the errors.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    blackface or not I expect a shitstorm if the Black Panther movie is popular and white kids start wearing his costume.

Which is awesome and everyone should want to wear it

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i drink maybe 2-3 sodas a year

like 2/3 times they are coke

the other is cream soda

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    In the line of Six's thinking

how would you feel if the costume continue onto the face? Same quality and attention to detail.

Does it change?

If yes, why?

I think it changes and I think it's unfortunate that it changes. But I'm not sure why.

Gonna go nope, at least at that level of attention of detail and absent any behavioral cues tied to specific parts being specific races.

One of the reason that blackface feels offensive is that the anatomical differences are more than just melanin content. I mean, that's like the very least of it and lots of the other reasons are about the behavior and assumptions presented while portraying it. I'm kinda assuming stitched together zombie isn't going to be making racial jokes or whatnot.

The thing that makes blackface offensive is all the historical and cultural baggage attached to it, not because someone used makeup to give themselves big lips in addition to the black paint.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    god i wish i hadn't started menopause

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    *finishes a project*

If you never hit compile, you never have to fix the errors.

That's my secret, Coinage: I'm always hitting compile

• Options
    I wouldn't begrudge anyone who blackfaced themselves as a kid to be luke cage

luke cage is fucking great

netflix is doing this character justice so far but I'm only like 4 episodes in

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

and then there's, like, the more benign and kind of unfortunate kind where you're just using a white person in place of using a person of color, which ties in to whole lots of cultural baggage and underlying issues but to me isn't really the same kind of overtly offensive thing, it's just a bad thing that sort of erases the capability of people of color

and then there's, like, a kid who wants to dress up as luke cage for halloween and since the character is black, the kid blacks his skin, and like, it's completely not racist, but also it's like

dude you don't have to do that just because the character you love has been presented to you as a black man

which, i mean, luke cage maybe not the best example since his is an explicitly black story but

okay pretend i said i dunno for some reason some kid wants to dress up as hancock after seeing the will smith movie in 2016 i don't know why that would happen but

isn't the second thing usually called whitewashing and not really ever blackface

yeah

hyperbole culture, mainly

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    "Blameless Cleric" about music.

they have a music video that looks like a really cool indie sidescroller videogame
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A76a_LNIYwE

override367 on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

If you ever listen to top 40 stations or pop or whatever you've probably heard Little Talks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghb6eDopW8I

• Options

yeah

yeah but much of that is just internet white noise, mostly safely ignored

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Hyperbole culture is just the worst. Ever.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    imgur on random likes to randomly hit me with, as the kids say, feels. First the iron giant, followed by bad times friend ahead. Man.

O7vGMBKh.jpg
    O3j9R0Xh.png

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Stares blankly at coupon, calls someone over to figure the coupon out, gets the manager involved to determine if they are doing these coupons yet. Using fast food BOGO coupons aren't worth it if I'm holding up the line like an asshole.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

If you ever listen to top 40 stations or pop or whatever you've probably heard Little Talks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghb6eDopW8I

ahh yes I know and like this song

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    In the line of Six's thinking

how would you feel if the costume continue onto the face? Same quality and attention to detail.

Does it change?

If yes, why?

I think it changes and I think it's unfortunate that it changes. But I'm not sure why.

Gonna go nope, at least at that level of attention of detail and absent any behavioral cues tied to specific parts being specific races.

One of the reason that blackface feels offensive is that the anatomical differences are more than just melanin content. I mean, that's like the very least of it and lots of the other reasons are about the behavior and assumptions presented while portraying it. I'm kinda assuming stitched together zombie isn't going to be making racial jokes or whatnot.

The thing that makes blackface offensive is all the historical and cultural baggage attached to it, not because someone used makeup to give themselves big lips in addition to the black paint.

Well yeah, I acknowledged that but I'm saying part of the reason is that they tend to be caricatures rather than actual attempts to look like another race. I'm not sure an honest attempt with high quality make up would hit those same cultural associations without offensive behavioral cues.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

The 2 liter bottle of coke sat here for a week and a half before emptied and thrown away.

Coke is dead to me until they release a real sugar version Vanilla Coke.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Today I am driving this sleepy little pup back to my in-laws' house
    QAmBWKd.jpg

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

yeah

yeah but much of that is just internet white noise, mostly safely ignored

i do think dismissing something nearly everyone you know accesses every day as just noise is maybe not the best idea

i mean, yeah, some pockets of the internet are definitely louder than are warranted but

it's at this point kind of like saying "oh man, that's just the evening news. it doesn't mean anything"

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    so the other half of our building is being converted for another business.

It's all closed off as we are government so it has to be separate entry and everything

what kind of remodeling/construction smells like a perm

(beauty shop smell)

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Of Monsters and Men does just neat videos. I like them. They do some fun folk music.

https://youtu.be/mCHUw7ACS8o

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

It's all closed off as we are government so it has to be separate entry and everything

(beauty shop smell)

Some type of adhesive or solvent maybe? For putting down floor or wall tiles.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Hyperbole culture is just the worst. Ever.

it's basically Hitler.

700 Hitlers.

• Options

(beauty shop smell)

Cleaning agents too, like bleach.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Coke is dead to me until they release a real sugar version Vanilla Coke.

Coke + vanilla stoli

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    blackface or not I expect a shitstorm if the Black Panther movie is popular and white kids start wearing his costume.

Which is awesome and everyone should want to wear it

Yeah, there is definitely gonna be some growing pains with this sort of thing. For a very long time now we've been saying "Hey black folks, it's totally cool if you love Thor and want to dress as Thor!" But now we're starting to have black heroes in mainstream media. Will we be telling white folks the same thing about Black Panther and Luke Cage? Or will this be another one of those things that we consider asymetrical. Where it's ok for black folks but not ok for white folks due to institutionalized racism context.

• Options

(beauty shop smell)

yeah perm smell is mostly ammonia so it's probably a solvent or cleaner they're using

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I'm shocked by the lack of a Paladins thread in G&T.

Gotta make one, now.

This discussion has been closed.