As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The 2016 Conditional Post-Election Thread: II

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
Jacobkosh wrote: »
I'm going to put this here, and we'll see how it goes.

If this thread gets terminally stupid, we may take a brief and deserved holiday from politics in D&D for a bit.

Whatever he said.

smCQ5WE.jpg

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    donald trump

obF2Wuw.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    donald trump

:hydra:

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Possibly with some highly visible listing of information indicating where your money comes from, who owns you, etc.

I'm more interested in how this would expose or kill Fox News or anti-critical-thought, anti-truth right wing media though. Assuming that the sticker warning proposal isn't constitutionally fraught, what does this do? Breitbart and all the right wing internet conspiracy shitholes don't require much money or backing to operate.

Do you think that Stone has any interest in running a site he can't make a profit off of? Yes, conspiracy shitholes will still be around, and no you don't have to be for-profit to want to spread conspiracy theories, but almost certainly there's a relationship between wanting to draw in readers for advertising dollars and therefore resorting to sensationalism and conspiracy.

The idea is to give news readers/viewers a very clear sign saying "this organization's interests are profit first, keeping you informed comes secondary".

No, that's not a silver bullet that kills Fox News, but in the extremely anti-establishment climate we have at the moment, something like this might be able to make a significant impact.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    winky are you proposing people will not be allowed to make a profit as media outlets or that they will have to have a disclaimer saying they make a profit because those are two different things and you seem to be advocating both

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Turns out peak derp is a myth

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    My point, anyway, is that I'm trying to spitball ideas here for dealing with the media. Because if you can find no solutions then you are just not thinking flexibly enough.

The solution doesn't have to be through government either. Maybe a non-profit organization that itself rates and criticizes media outlets? I'm sure there are plenty existing organizations, but maybe we need to be pouring a lot more money into them.

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I didn't want this dying on the other thread as it's something I personally am working on.

Roz said:
    One other thing to consider, a small silver lining in a sea of sludge - it looks like 60 million is the Republican cap. Our cap, based on Obama's numbers is in the 65 million range. It is possible for us to win, but we have to reallocate our votes. Which is what I think you guys are actually talking about. Right now certain zip codes just became immensely important, and if we have any hope of saving our republic, we have to pick up voters in those areas.

Or move there from dead red or true blue zip codes.

Chanus wrote: »
    winky are you proposing people will not be allowed to make a profit as media outlets or that they will have to have a disclaimer saying they make a profit because those are two different things and you seem to be advocating both

I started with the former, agreed that it was completely untenable, and then dropped to the later which I think is doable.

I mean, we are brainstorming here.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Even if you thought it would survive a first amendment challenge (and it would have no chance), actually implementing it would be impossible. Who are the decision makers? How do you appoint them? Why would anyone even care about the little "real news" icon?

I mean, "fair and balanced" is already pretty much a wink/nod, and morherfuckers eat that up. Any sanctioned "unbiased" source would get at least as much ridicule for it as it gained credibility, likely for good cause

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Roz wrote: »
    The truth, though, is that we are ignoring rural America.

And when I say this, I don't mean we need to pander to the policies they think they want. We need to educate them. We need to show that we even care what they think at all! Treating them like the enemy will never work.

You cannot educate them. They do not want to educated.

We cannot afford to throw our allies - who suffer from discrimination and violence - under the bus just to appease racists and sexists. We can make outreach to people who voted for Obama, yet we somehow lost this time. We can focus on finding out who stayed home and why. We can try to energize our party and harness the populist anger.

But under no circumstances should we sacrifice the people who we desperately need to protect, to pick up votes in rural areas.

Bullshit. This is defeatist.

Something to consider.

My mother is a strong Trump supporter. I sent along a link to the 'Day 1 of Trump's America' that's been circulating along Facebook from Twitter, showing reports of hate crimes around the US.

She flat out denies that it's happening. She insists that the 'liberal media' is throwing a fit, and that these incidents are probably being staged by liberals. She sent me a link to O'Keefe's video showing Democrats being paid to protest in Trump rallies as "proof" that liberals do shitty things.

The problem is that she lives in a bubble. Every time I try to push back on her claims, she flat out denies it. When I push her for evidence, she claims that it "wouldn't change your mind, so why bother?". She insists that "Oblama" is causing the racial divide in the US, and this sentiment is echoed by my father. He doesn't vote (for stupid reasons), but it's a persistent mindset that they've had for years.

Albeit this is an anecdote, but I would have to agree with Roz there. They simply do not want to be educated. They live in a self-reinforcing bubble that's taught them to deny everything, and it's incredibly frustrating.

It's frustrating for me, because my (Asian) partner is now terrified of traveling to the US. And my family is going to frame this as not their fault, not the fault of Trump or the Republicans - it's the liberal media's fault for lying to us.

How can you possibly engage someone like this?
    By understanding the situation isn't as cut and dry as we think it is.

Because people are making stuff up
    http://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/crime_police/article_2e351106-a74b-11e6-86d9-cf799c2824a8.html?reload3
    http://www.politifact.com/north-carolina/statements/2016/nov/09/viral-image/viral-image-debunked-kkk-was-not-marching-north-ca/
    which is poisoning the well for the actual horrible things that Trump supporters are doing

And realizing that its happening to Trump supporters as well, like here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52EoprTSouU

And here: https://vid.me/kS4r which is one that I talked about in an earlier thread that sadly got a response eerily similar to what your mother said: "There are too many alt-right nuttjobs willing to stage shit and upload it because they really want an excuse. I don't think even were this true it would be indicative of anything."

People are being awful all over the place because their political team won/lost. Hopefully soon, like Colbert said, we stop sipping the poison and remember we have plenty of common ground.

ObiFett on
    Even if you thought it would survive a first amendment challenge (and it would have no chance), actually implementing it would be impossible. Who are the decision makers? How do you appoint them? Why would anyone even care about the little "real news" icon?

I mean, "fair and balanced" is already prettt much a wink/nod, and morherfuckers eat that up. Any sanctioned "unbiased" source would get at least as much ridicule for it as it gained credibility, likely for good cause

As the answer to all of those questions I would point to the FDA, and expect something a similar structure.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The best approach with actual family members is to try and find stuff that isn't obviously partisan; you can't necessarily rely on the credibility of sources, so you have to establish yourself as credible and leverage that.

Immediately around the election is the most difficult time to do that, unfortunately

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    No matter how much we can almost all unanimously agree that the media at large sucks, we'll still silo off and keep watching the one we tell ourselves doesn't suck.

Crayon on
    Einzel wrote: »
    I didn't want this dying on the other thread as it's something I personally am working on.

Roz said:
    One other thing to consider, a small silver lining in a sea of sludge - it looks like 60 million is the Republican cap. Our cap, based on Obama's numbers is in the 65 million range. It is possible for us to win, but we have to reallocate our votes. Which is what I think you guys are actually talking about. Right now certain zip codes just became immensely important, and if we have any hope of saving our republic, we have to pick up voters in those areas.

Or move there from dead red or true blue zip codes.

It would actually be interesting if we saw political movements based around people from the cities deliberately moving to communities in more rural areas to influence voting.

Maybe that will be the next "in" thing for gentrifiers :P.

edited November 2016
    Crayon wrote: »
    No matter how much we can almost all unanimously agree that the media at large sucks, we'll still silo off and keep watching the one we tell ourselves doesn't suck.

Unless we stop doing that, and instead do something about it.

Winky on
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Well, a lot of media is simply poison to be avoided. Breitbart and InfoWars are becoming mainstream on the right, which is troubling, but also hilarious.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • HounHoun Registered User regular

Actually, I assume all media I am presented with is spinning in some bias, regardless of source.

As we all should.

• DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »

Well, a lot of media is simply poison to be avoided. Breitbart and InfoWars are becoming mainstream on the right, which is troubling, but also hilarious.

I don't think we can afford to find this stuff hilarious anymore.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Roz wrote: »
    The truth, though, is that we are ignoring rural America.

And when I say this, I don't mean we need to pander to the policies they think they want. We need to educate them. We need to show that we even care what they think at all! Treating them like the enemy will never work.

You cannot educate them. They do not want to educated.

We cannot afford to throw our allies - who suffer from discrimination and violence - under the bus just to appease racists and sexists. We can make outreach to people who voted for Obama, yet we somehow lost this time. We can focus on finding out who stayed home and why. We can try to energize our party and harness the populist anger.

But under no circumstances should we sacrifice the people who we desperately need to protect, to pick up votes in rural areas.

Bullshit. This is defeatist.

Something to consider.

My mother is a strong Trump supporter. I sent along a link to the 'Day 1 of Trump's America' that's been circulating along Facebook from Twitter, showing reports of hate crimes around the US.

She flat out denies that it's happening. She insists that the 'liberal media' is throwing a fit, and that these incidents are probably being staged by liberals. She sent me a link to O'Keefe's video showing Democrats being paid to protest in Trump rallies as "proof" that liberals do shitty things.

The problem is that she lives in a bubble. Every time I try to push back on her claims, she flat out denies it. When I push her for evidence, she claims that it "wouldn't change your mind, so why bother?". She insists that "Oblama" is causing the racial divide in the US, and this sentiment is echoed by my father. He doesn't vote (for stupid reasons), but it's a persistent mindset that they've had for years.

Albeit this is an anecdote, but I would have to agree with Roz there. They simply do not want to be educated. They live in a self-reinforcing bubble that's taught them to deny everything, and it's incredibly frustrating.

It's frustrating for me, because my (Asian) partner is now terrified of traveling to the US. And my family is going to frame this as not their fault, not the fault of Trump or the Republicans - it's the liberal media's fault for lying to us.

How can you possibly engage someone like this?
    By understanding the situation isn't as cut and dry as we think it is.

Because people are making stuff up
    http://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/crime_police/article_2e351106-a74b-11e6-86d9-cf799c2824a8.html?reload3
    http://www.politifact.com/north-carolina/statements/2016/nov/09/viral-image/viral-image-debunked-kkk-was-not-marching-north-ca/
    which is poisoning the well for the actual horrible things that Trump supporters are doing

And ignoring what's happening to Trump supporters as well:
    And *this one that I talked about in an earlier thread: https://vid.me/kS4r which sadly got a response eerily similar to what your mother said: "There are too many alt-right nuttjobs willing to stage shit and upload it because they really want an excuse. I don't think even were this true it would be indicative of anything."

People are being awful all over the place because their political team won/lost. Hopefully soon, like Colbert said, we stop sipping the poison and remember we have plenty of common ground.

Especially when it comes to that vid.me video. If he had been carrying, no jury on Earth would have convicted him. Much more, the shitty Trump supporter behavior being reported pales when contrasted against it.

Emissary42 on

Trump has your solution, state run media. Otherwise, there is actually nothing to do about it except turn it off. There's noise, and then there's signal...and we've lost the ability to tell the difference. Or maybe never really cared in the first place. I mean, we can exhaustively bring in the ghosts of Cronkite and Murrow, but even in their time it was 90% fear mongering noise.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular

I mean, "fair and balanced" is already prettt much a wink/nod, and morherfuckers eat that up. Any sanctioned "unbiased" source would get at least as much ridicule for it as it gained credibility, likely for good cause

As the answer to all of those questions I would point to the FDA, and expect something a similar structure.
    The FDA is heavily influenced by lobbying groups. I'm not sure they're a good example.

Trump has your solution, state run media. Otherwise, there is actually nothing to do about it except turn it off. There's noise, and then there's signal...and we've lost the ability to tell the difference. Or maybe never really cared in the first place. I mean, we can exhaustively bring in the ghosts of Cronkite and Murrow, but even in their time it was 90% fear mongering noise.

We're already there if you haven't noticed, basically all the top-tier papers and networks were taking marching orders to some degree this year. CNN was a sock puppet to the point where you could figuratively see the fingers when their anchors' mouths moved, and the Washington Post might as well merge with BuzzFeed after this. It's pretty fucking sad, because those were great outlets once upon a time.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i didn't get that from WaPo at all

they were pretty much the only major news outlet in the country that stood up to trump all election long

i mean they are clickier now but that's just reality these days

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »

We're already there if you haven't noticed, basically all the top-tier papers and networks were taking marching orders to some degree this year. CNN was a sock puppet to the point where you could figuratively see the fingers when their anchors' mouths moved, and the Washington Post might as well merge with BuzzFeed after this. It's pretty fucking sad, because those were great outlets once upon a time.

Most major news media are pretty centrist. If you lean left, you'll see them as rightwing. If you're rightwing, you'll see them as liberal.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
  • LegoSpidermanLegoSpiderman Registered User regular
    We lost. Unclear how much was unique to Trump or Hilary but the safest course is to assume all the problems were systemic and to work on a new plan from that baseline.

CNN is utter garbage though

i mean yeah

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    They're not even centrist, they're more douchey above it all rich assholes. Tom Friedman is the perfect modern political columnist.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Trump's first real tweet as president-elect: Just had a very open and successful presidential election. Now professional protesters, incited by the media, are protesting. Very unfair!

Dude is still a shitbird AND it's kind of obvious he's getting his news from Alex Jones. I don't hear many outlets call protesters that aside from conspiracy theorists.

Coolcoolcool.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    "Professional Protestors" huh

Ugh.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Wait, I can get paid to protest? What are the wages like? Any bennies?

• DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Trump's first real tweet as president-elect: Just had a very open and successful presidential election. Now professional protesters, incited by the media, are protesting. Very unfair!

Dude is still a shitbird AND it's kind of obvious he's getting his news from Alex Jones. I don't hear many outlets call protesters that aside from conspiracy theorists.

Coolcoolcool.

This coming from the guy who paid people to clap at his campaign kickoff.

The Projector-in-Chief

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS

they were pretty much the only major news outlet in the country that stood up to trump all election long

WaPo was an offender mainly during the primaries, with the infamous Sixteen Stories in Sixteen Hours going after Sanders, though they persisted through the whole year.
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Emissary42 wrote: »

Most major news media are pretty centrist. If you lean left, you'll see them as rightwing. If you're rightwing, you'll see them as liberal.

Come now, CNN has crossed lines far, far beyond parody. It's why their ratings have trouble cracking 750,000 viewers, and that's with 500,000 "24-hour" viewers (doctors's offices, airports, etc).

• Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

I think the technical term for it inside their shop is "Cillizzation". Winners and Losers!

Fortunately, the Washington Post diligently fact checked Trump, scoring him an unprecedented average rating of 3.4 Pinocchios to Hillary Clinton's 2.2 Pinocchios.

Unfortunately, they are scoring a presidential race with cartoon Pinocchios.

Spaten Optimator on
    He's the fucking president now. HOW, HOW could anything be so unfair that you need to tweet it? A diplomat refuses to meet. Naw. They won't let you have something from the Smithsonian? Naw. They don't ask you to recite scripture at your inauguration? Naw. Some protestors don't like you? FUCK YES UNFAIR.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    "Professional Protestors" huh

Ugh.

It's a well known "fact" in right wing circles that most left wing protests are secretly funded by George Soros and other International Jewry in order to destabilize the last true bastion of freedom, the good ole US of A.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Coolcoolcool.

Not the first one, this was 35m ago from this post, slightly before the other one

Still,
    ugh.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Do you want to know the the CEO of The Third Way has to say?
    But Matt Bennett, co-founder of the centrist think tank Third Way, disagreed that economic populism would have saved the election for Democrats. The message from voters was that they care about creating more and better jobs — not fairer jobs, he said.

"They don't care what rich people make," he said. "If they cared, they would not have elected the guy with the gold-plated plane."

Please, don't talk about rich people and what they make, rich people are sacrosanct to us. Ah, third way. Of all the groups in a country suddenly filled with uncertainty, they know who the Democrats need to line up behind. They know who needs to be protected, and have our political capital spent on. The rich.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Coolcoolcool.

Not the first one, this was 35m ago from this post, slightly before the other one

Still,
    ugh.

Yeah, it's why I said first real tweet beyond a canned response, hah.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I am absolutely drawing up my professional protestor CV right now. Sign me the hell up.

This discussion has been closed.