As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trying to track down a specific scifi short story…

M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
I'm about ready to admit defeat in my Google-fu, as I'm trying to track a short story back down that I read online, probably 2-3 years ago.

More than likely, it was originally found published in a pulp and I would have come across it on one of the multiple sites that archive such out-of-copyright or public domain stories.

This is all subject to being misremembered, but here it goes:

Its setting was (almost probably) Mars, and the story followed students living and studying in a space station there. The students had been born and raised there (possibly of multiple generations), but the generation prior to them (the teachers) was less suitable for being exposed to the elements. I believe it ended with some sudden and violent revolt against the teacher(s), and the surprise twist was that the students had physically adapted in drastic and monstrous ways (gigantic, hairy, etc.), and had as such lost touch with their more human-like predecessors, coupled with disdain toward them for being weaker / unable to survive outside of the station.

If this rings a bell with anyone, I'd highly appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    It kinda sorta sounds like Heinlien's Red Planet?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Not familiar to me. What I'd suggest is trying to recall any specific distinctive/unusual phrases, sentences and/or terms that could be googled.

• Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    @Cog,
    Just read about that. Sounds good and will check it out. Although it's not the story I'm looking for, it seems it'll be a fun read.

And yeah, I'll drop back to Google and see what I can find.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I tried searching for it on the website I can't link here, no dice.

I have to say it sounds more like an Outer Limits episode.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Not familiar to me. What I'd suggest is trying to recall any specific distinctive/unusual phrases, sentences and/or terms that could be googled.

Or character/place names. Names of the teachers, school, space station, students, anything like that would ease a google search a lot.