As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Movies] Thread: Pre-Summer Blockbuster Blockbuster Season

1929394959698»

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It's a brand new day bow bow.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    god this week

I'm so tired

and done with being depressed

Have you considered watching an uplifting movie?

I watched Swiss Army Man and then It's Always Sunny

I don't know if that counts

Having just seen Swiss Army Man myself this week for the first time, it does count.

Who knew, life could be improved with a perpetually farting corpse?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I doubt anybody would be asking for more politics in TFA if the situation as presented was simple. ANH started with an oppressive Empire and a struggling Rebellion. You don't need to go further, that's a simple setup, we're golden.

TFA had a Republic under threat from a... something. What is the First Order? It looks like the Empire, but it's totally not. I think it's the most well funded terrorist organization in fictional history. The Republic won't fight back, for absolutely no reason, so we have a 3rd group fighting on their behalf in the Resistance.

Here's the real complaint, though. It's obvious that they tortured the script to manufacture a Rebellion stand in. Obvious. It's not so much that I need things explained, it's that I'm insulted that they think I'm so simple that I need the teams to be exactly like they were before when they logically should look much different. What we saw in TFA should have been the formation of the Resistance. Leia should have had the full backing and support for her CIA organization and they should have become rebels when the rug got pulled out from under them. I still don't know wtf the First Order is other than evil, but that part I'm fine expanding on in future movies.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I doubt anybody would be asking for more politics in TFA if the situation as presented was simple. ANH started with an oppressive Empire and a struggling Rebellion. You don't need to go further, that's a simple setup, we're golden.

TFA had a Republic under threat from a... something. What is the First Order? It looks like the Empire, but it's totally not. I think it's the most well funded terrorist organization in fictional history. The Republic won't fight back, for absolutely no reason, so we have a 3rd group fighting on their behalf in the Resistance.

Here's the real complaint, though. It's obvious that they tortured the script to manufacture a Rebellion stand in. Obvious. It's not so much that I need things explained, it's that I'm insulted that they think I'm so simple that I need the teams to be exactly like they were before when they logically should look much different. What we saw in TFA should have been the formation of the Resistance. Leia should have had the full backing and support for her CIA organization and they should have become rebels when the rug got pulled out from under them. I still don't know wtf the First Order is other than evil, but that part I'm fine expanding on in future movies.

The conversation is continuing in the Star Wars thread. :)

Sorry for derailing the thread, guys.

Harry Dresden on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The Hollow Point (Netflix), really good movie.
    So good I'm going to rent it on iTunes to give the peeps some money. We are in a golden age of modern westerns, this is how you make classy low budget movies.

Small Arizona town on the border, Owlman returns to be sheriff after fizzling out in a bigger border town in what is assumed to be El Paso. He's replacing Al Swearengen, his former boss and the drunk sheriff who has grown to be reckless, unexpectedly kicking off a series of events that triggers a cartel hitman (Luigi Mario) into the town to fix things.

Very good, straightforward 100 minute thriller that has two "oh shit" moments that you will not expect that uses the usual small town aesthetic to a much more realistic degree (people don't like it there but it's not completely shit despite what they say). Patrick Wilson is super underrated as an actor and plays jackass sheriff very well, not wanting to eat some humble pie in having to come back to town after some bridges were burned. Ian McShane is so good as a cowboy I decree him an honorary Texan and he should teach all foreigners how to have an American accent, and Leguizamo is solid as always.
    Even Jim Belushi is good here as a shady car dealer, best role since Red Heat I tell you what.
    I can't go into more detail without spoiling it but a fine performance from everyone, there's only one real annoying character thing that they carry on which is a bane of modern hollywood and film making/characterization but it's able to rebound off that well, and a satisfying ending.

Super recommend it if you like Sicario or Hell or High Water or No Country For Old Men.

I was just talking about Red Heat with a friend last night. Such a great movie and Jim is genuinely bloody good in it.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Best Jim Belushi movie is Mr. Destiny.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Best Jim Belushi movie is Mr. Destiny.

Michael Caine makes everything better...yes even Jaws: The Revenge

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    To expand:

I don't need a movie telling me why the destruction of a central government is bad. Yes, they had a "Government Planet" that got wiped out. I know why this would be a bad thing. I also understand groups forming out of the ashes of older groups, because it's a thing we've seen in the real world.

I don't need to be told that Kylo is a spoiled brat who isn't quite up to snuff, they show us he isn't up to snuff and conclude the entire thing with one line: "Complete his training."

The movie engages on Show Don't Tell and very much assumes the audience has the capability to piece together shit on their own without being explicitly seen or without developing an emotional connection.

In a way, it's smarter than it has any right to be.

At its core, Star Wars is a character film and it succeeded with flying colors. It set the stage using analogies we should all be quite familiar with and can extrapolate said consequences without needing our hand held by a director who thinks we're too stupid to understand basic concepts (like Lucas, for instance).

This is just such an incredibly generous reading. We're not complaining about lack of hand holding, we're complaining about a lack of basic world building. The OT had fewer concepts, there was an Empire and a Rebellion. Boom, that's what you need to know, it's right there in the name for you. Before we even get off Tatooine we see Imperial troops not only killing people, but also policing the city, so we understand the stakes, we know why Luke's rebelling, we know why the empire is bad, we know the extent of the empire (everywhere).

In contrast, 7 has The Republic, but also has The Rebellion. The bad guys are The First Order. What the fuck is a first order? You say, "groups forming out of the ashes of older groups", but that's literally all you know, and you have to infer that just because they're also baddies.

Almost all of the concepts that TFA asks us to care about, we care about because we've seen the previous movies. The most obvious case being how Han Solo absolutely takes over the movie. And now for Ep 8 we've got a lead on the poster who... Well, why is she here exactly? What are her motivations? Why does she want to be a Jedi? Who does she care about? TFA barely gave any time for her character to actually breath. Han Solo's scenes are about Han Solo, Obi Wan Kenobi's scenes were about building up from being just a naive farmboy.

TFA was a pretty effective love letter to the original trilogy, but as a movie it had huge structural flaws.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Astaereth wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Are we earnestly doing a kids-these-days routine in here? Criminy, people have been breaking theatre etiquette for as long as there have been theaters. There's a scene in Hamlet where Hamlet gets annoyed at Polonius for talking during a show.

Wait, Bill Shakespeare was doing plays about theater, just like movies about movies? This isn't a fad that's going away, is it?

A common misconception is that "meta" is new. Don Quixote, a book published more than 400 years ago, is about a guy who goes off to be a knight because he's read too much adventure stories. Quixote was the Deadpool of the 17th century (or perhaps more aptly, the Kick-Ass).
    It's much more than that. Don Quixote has a Part Two (in modern versions of Don Quixote, the serialized stories are put all into one volume), in which the author rebukes a fake Part Two written by a fanfiction author who wrote a different Part Two by referencing it as an in-world in-character encounter between Don Quixote and an insert character that represents the fanfiction author.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yes, the First Order is from the Empire because they literally wear the same things, are utilizing the Dark Side, and their Jedi wunderkind worships Vader.

I don't think it could've been any clearer.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Yo take it to the Star Wars thread.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yes, the First Order is from the Empire because they literally wear the same things, are utilizing the Dark Side, and their Jedi wunderkind worships Vader.

I don't think it could've been any clearer.

Is the first order a terrorist group, or literally just the remnants of the empire? Are they a military, or a government?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    New thread inc soon.

This discussion has been closed.