As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Harmonix] New Rock Band peripherals are coming!

1343536373840»

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Rock Band 4 is now finally 9.99 USD on Xbox! (and thus 9.99 on both platforms)

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/rock-band-4-rivals-bundle/brs6zckhrnvx

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I guess it's time to pick up RB4

Feels suspiciously end of life/blowout adjacent

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

I was thinking both those things. Also I don't have a guitar compatible with the Xbox One/Series, just an old 360 one with no adapter, and I do not really enjoy Fortnite Festival with a regular controller.

Still thinking about it for future fun though if I get one of these new guitars eventually. But that's a big "eventually".

• Options

Going off the usual 5 year cadence for renewals, Rock Band 4 itself is due for renewal in 2025, and the Rivals seasons promised so far (40) also ends up around the end of 2025.

There might be some risk hedging here in case they can't reclear RB4 itself.

• Options
    edited February 9
    So is it just these anniversary packs that are free for rock band 4?

Edit: turns out the song from Portal is also free. Wish they made it easier to find some of these free things. Instead I have to manually find and install each one.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited February 9
    there -should- be a Free category in the store that has all the free songs in there, although the servers have been struggling

edit: yeah it's there, you just have to scroll way down to see it from Browse Store option on the main menu. although it kinda feels that's not all of them, def not all the anniversary packs, so here's links to all of them

https://www.xbox.com/games/store/4th-anniversary-free-dlc-pack/9pbwfjd2bxsj
    https://www.xbox.com/games/store/rock-band-4-5th-anniversary-free-dlc-pack/9p7vv6vbn1z4
    https://www.xbox.com/games/store/rock-band-4-6th-anniversary-free-dlc-pack/9ppm5zf3z8wq
    https://www.xbox.com/games/store/rock-band-4-7th-anniversary-free-dlc-pack/9pf3rzjffnvm
    https://www.xbox.com/games/store/rock-band-4-8th-anniversary-free-dlc-pack/9p38nls63cs2
    https://www.xbox.com/games/store/rock-band-10th-anniversary-pack/bzfzjz4mwpz5

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Okay what about on PSN

steam_sig.png

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Okay what about on PSN

As a fellow Playstation Rock Bander: You poor bastard.

The answer is "Everything about it sucks and has sucked since RB4 initially came out."

• Options
    edited February 10
    Okay what about on PSN

You're on your own against the PSN store, just have to search and possibly "buy" it and then redownload

Also note to anyone jumping in or back in, you have to link your Live/PSN account to Epic via this specific link to post leaderboard scores, play Rivals, use the store wishlist funciton or play online. Using the store for purchases and regular offline play doesn't need the link. If you had scores before this change they'll still be there after you link up. If you're already linked for Fortnite you still have to do this for RB4.

https://account.harmonixmusic.com/

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Well that was a lot of hassle to realize the PS3 RB1 controller I got off Craigslist a few years ago might not work? I couldn't get it to sync to the dingle that I plugged into the PS4/RB4.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I should start playing more regularly.

For those that didn't follow the recent stuff happening, there is that Riffmaster by PDP that sold out but they are making more. I do believe this has caught the attention of other companies that might start putting out more instruments as both RB4 reaches its end of life and kids pick up Fortnite Festival and wanna use real fake instrument controllers. Exciting times.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It sold out immediately. As soon as it was listed on every retailer it was just gone. So they damn well better make more! :p

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I wonder if Harmonix severely underestimated how many people would still be playing if they had functional instruments.

Like I have three guitars I've stopped using because the tilt sensors went wonky and that alone is enough to be frustrating. That happens to people who didn't pick up a bunch of spares and they're probably just going to stop when they find out a replacement plastic guitar is more than an actual electric guitar.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    the music in these games gets me tapping my feet!

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I wonder if Harmonix severely underestimated how many people would still be playing if they had functional instruments.

Like I have three guitars I've stopped using because the tilt sensors went wonky and that alone is enough to be frustrating. That happens to people who didn't pick up a bunch of spares and they're probably just going to stop when they find out a replacement plastic guitar is more than an actual electric guitar.

fyi, if you're comfortable with a teeny bit of soldering and spending like 5 bucks on some components, it isn't too difficult to fix the tilt sensors.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Reznik wrote: »

fyi, if you're comfortable with a teeny bit of soldering and spending like 5 bucks on some components, it isn't too difficult to fix the tilt sensors.

I'll get to that point eventually whether I want to or not (and it's why I've kept the broken guitars around) but I'm talking more about there being people who go "Welp, game doesn't work any more, guess that's that"

Though if the future support of the game requires Fortnite it's already over and I'm just waiting for the end so maybe it won't ever actually get to that point.

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Well, there's always Roll Limitless if you want to get an instrument to be compatible with your console. There's a decent price but it's a fraction of what most original plastic instruments go for on auction sites. I haven't tried one personally but a couple of my buddies modded their older guitars and haven't had problems so far.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    I finally tried to hook up the PS3 guitar recently and I think I might have the wrong dongle for it? Or the guitar is busted and won't connect.

Point is, it was silly to not also have a wired option for PS3.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    We've got like 5 guitars floating around in various storage locations, but no dongles, which makes them so much wasted plastic.

26904.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm considering getting 4, how hard is it to get a dongle for the PS3 guitar(which I still have)?

I wasn't ever interested in RB3, but 4's songlist does look a lot better. Is the aesthetic more like 2, presentation-wise? That's my favorite look for the series, and 3's kind of put me off.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm considering getting 4, how hard is it to get a dongle for the PS3 guitar(which I still have)?

I wasn't ever interested in RB3, but 4's songlist does look a lot better. Is the aesthetic more like 2, presentation-wise? That's my favorite look for the series, and 3's kind of put me off.

It's not hard to get a dongle but it's not cheap. Lots of people selling them separate from the guitars to make more on ebay.

I wouldn't compare 4 to 2 aesthetically, and to be honest I found everything to do with the presentation of the characters (animations, customizations, etc) to be a step down from 2 and 3.

Get 4 if you want the DLC access and you like the songs and that outweighs your aesthetic preferences.

Forget it...
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 1
    I bit the bullet, since there's a ton of songs I like from the new DLC.

I've had a hard time confirming though: if I bought DLC for RB2 on PS3, can I redownload it to 4?

Huh, looks like they are! I saw Swamped and Crushcrushcrush are shown as "Free".

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    If you bought it before, yes. But if not, no, they seem to have closed all the license transfer stuff from the older games at this point. You can't even buy DLC for those older games anymore.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Looks like my main problem is finding a working peripheral. I only have a singstar mic which is a no-go, and I have an RB1 dongle, but the guitar doesn't seem to work anymore(the batteries in it kind of, uh, melted).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Looks like my main problem is finding a working peripheral. I only have a singstar mic which is a no-go, and I have an RB1 dongle, but the guitar doesn't seem to work anymore(the batteries in it kind of, uh, melted).

If you can get the batteries out, you can clean the corrosion away using white vinegar and an abrasive brush (toothbrush or something a little stiffer), then follow up with some water to clean the vinegar away and some isopropyl alcohol to finish it off.

The success of this will vary based on how bad the corrosion is, but I had the same issue with my RB1 guitar and got it working again. You might have to repeat it a few times.

Forget it...
  • Options
    edited April 2
    So I like some of the system updates, and it's great having Spiders in the game, but that documentary story mode is the most cringe-worthy thing I've ever seen.

And yeah, like I feared, the presentation
    pales in comparison to 2's. There were constantly all these little touches during concerts that made it feel like a special performance, like cameras on the guitars, the singers and guitarist leaning into each other, crazy lighting effects, etc.

But hey, 10 bucks, hard to complain.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Aw I liked the documentary. Maybe I was the right amount of high but the bit where they say the date was "August Durf" took me out.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited April 12
    Almost passed GG&HT on Brutal. Died in the final notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLnv5ycTCeg

OOF

FyreWulff on