Options

If It's Yellow Let It Mellow [Trump/Russia Scandal]: Timeline, News, Analysis

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Urgh, it's looking like even this is fading. If "trump is literally in the pocket of the Russians" isn't enough to keep the media excited, I don't know what will.

Some of it is probably, simply, the grim realization setting in:
    "... So what can we do about it?"
    "Nothing. Nothing whatsoever. We're all completely fucked."

Nobody was applying that logic to the Clinton email 'scandal'

Every article about trump should be....

"Donald Trump, still dogged by scandal and commonly believed to be indebted to Russian interests, sat down with Martin Luther kings son today. It is unknown whether the president elect discussed his scandals and failing administration during the meeting, but the meeting was arranged after Trumps crude and disgusting attack on Rep Lewis.

Etc

Partially it's bullshit overload, which you saw in the election as well. The media lurches from treason to insulting John Lewis, to threatening the existence of NATO, to pissing off Germany, and the media breathlessly runs from crisis to crisis, forgetting that perhaps they should exercise some editorial control over their coverage in their rush to cover the new crisis.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Urgh, it's looking like even this is fading. If "trump is literally in the pocket of the Russians" isn't enough to keep the media excited, I don't know what will.

Some of it is probably, simply, the grim realization setting in:
    "... So what can we do about it?"
    "Nothing. Nothing whatsoever. We're all completely fucked."

Nobody was applying that logic to the Clinton email 'scandal'

Every article about trump should be....

"Donald Trump, still dogged by scandal and commonly believed to be indebted to Russian interests, sat down with Martin Luther kings son today. It is unknown whether the president elect discussed his scandals and failing administration during the meeting, but the meeting was arranged after Trumps crude and disgusting attack on Rep Lewis.

Etc

Partially it's bullshit overload, which you saw in the election as well. The media lurches from treason to insulting John Lewis, to threatening the existence of NATO, to pissing off Germany, and the media breathlessly runs from crisis to crisis, forgetting that perhaps they should exercise some editorial control over their coverage in their rush to cover the new crisis.

It's a game to them. They cover it like fucking sports journalists, who while shitty, are much better at their jobs than these assholes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Sorry, did everything I could to stop it

At first I clicked agree on this, but then I unclicked it. I didn't do everything I could. I didn't volunteer for the Democratic party last year, I didn't canvas, I didn't engage in political discourse outside of this message board, I didn't take advantage of my job as a professional freaking communicator and artist to try and convince people of Hillary's merits or Trump's anti-merits.

But I'm starting to actually do what I can next week.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    To be fair, if it turns out that Trump is just being a Russian puppet because everyone keeps saying he shouldn't and he's a reflexive contrarian asshole, I would not be surprised.

I also would not be surprised if he's just being nice to Putin because Putin says nice things about him sometimes and he craves the validation.

I think the strongest argument against Trump being an explicit puppet is that he is so easily manipulated that there's no reason be explicit about the quid pro quo. If I was Putin, there's no way I would trust Trump to be in on it.

(Note: I still think he's likely an explicit puppet.)

I am honestly very surprised that countries besides Russia aren't manipulating the heck out of Trump more worthless concessions that Trump would like and verbal fellatio, but that probably wouldn't play well internally in a lot of countries like China.

Maybe they could just openly tell everyone in the country to play along with it.

I think we can expect to see more of it if it works. Right now, Russia hasn't gotten any return on investment yet, and until he's actually president there's no real telling how he'll take to this kind of manipulation once he actually has power worth manipulating. He could end up being so easily manipulated that nobody can actually get anything out of him because all it takes is him talking to somebody different before he can sign the orders for you.

But, yeah, if a pat on the head and a quick handie under the table works out for Russia, then it won't go unnoticed.

The best outcome, I think, is the whole pee party thing being false, but every two bit dictator in the world remembers it and figures it's a cheap way to curry his favor, so he keeps being welcomed into unannounced pee parties everywhere he goes. "Eh, see, Mr. President? We know what you like, and we bring it for you unasked!"

look at the polls of how republicans feel about Russia now vs a year ago. they've already gotten some return.

Plus Trump has upset America's relationship with China, which is going to get worse.

Depending on just how Trump and Putin together act towards China, one of my nightmare scenarios is China deciding that they really -don't- have anything really left to lose and they start throwing their weight around militarily. Not against Russia or the US but more against their neighbors.

I don't see Trump really giving two hoots if China goes and annexes Vietnam for example.

They tried the Vietnam thing before.. It didn't go very well to say the least.

The chinese launched a 'punitive expedition' after the Vietnamese-Cambodian war towards Hanoi with about 200,000 troops. After going about 20 miles into Vietnam and taking one city, the chinese had lost over a quarter of their force and had to call in for reinforcements. It was at this point that China decided that Vietnam had been punished enough and went home.

Vietnam has a long history of being ruled by outside forces and seething over being so ruled.

There is a reason why worries over Vietnam voluntarily being ruled by China because both were Communist was utterly ridiculous.

The fact that Vietnam is our best friend in the area is bonkers

America can be very good at making friends when it wants to be. Other countries fight a war and hate each other for a thousand years. America fights a war and 40 years later the other country is all "We love your movies and your baseball! Can we open some restaurants?"

• Options
    Praetorian MagePraetorian Mage Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    It's almost like Trump saw this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI0euMFAWF8

And said "I can do that with scandals!"

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    http://www.businessinsider.com/putin-responds-to-claims-made-in-trump-russia-dossier-2017-1
    Russian intelligence services "don't chase every American billionaire," Putin said. He added that Trump "has been with the most beautiful women in the world, so why would he need prostitutes in Moscow?"
    Putin's arguments are really bad. It is almost as if they were only about the most flimsy plausible deniability.

Edit: "Why would Tiger Woods have sex with prostitutes when he has been with the most beautiful women in the world?"

A profligate celebrity hiring prostitutes shouldn't even cause anyone to bat an eyelash.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If I were a prostitute in Moscow I'd feel so insulted right now

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    http://www.businessinsider.com/putin-responds-to-claims-made-in-trump-russia-dossier-2017-1
    Russian intelligence services "don't chase every American billionaire," Putin said. He added that Trump "has been with the most beautiful women in the world, so why would he need prostitutes in Moscow?"
    Putin's arguments are really bad. It is almost as if they were only about the most flimsy plausible deniability.

Edit: "Why would Tiger Woods have sex with prostitutes when he has been with the most beautiful women in the world?"

A profligate celebrity hiring prostitutes shouldn't even cause anyone to bat an eyelash.

Putin isn't even trying, and why would he? He gets to troll the US, while making sure tension is high with Trump.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I wouldn'ty be surprised if Trump ever didn't pay for sex

The Access Hollywood tape does not sounds like a man who actually gets women

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    You guys forget that this was like, specifically a hit piece, right? Like someone hired this firm to find as much dirt as they could find and so they scooped up as many facts, rumours, and gossip as they could get their hands on.

It's like Clinton Cash but since it's about Drumpf that makes it 100% true

• Options
    Frankly I don't even care

Trump needs to be taken down. If it takes falsehoods to do it fine

not like he's shown anyone else consideration before.

• Options
    You guys forget that this was like, specifically a hit piece, right? Like someone hired this firm to find as much dirt as they could find and so they scooped up as many facts, rumours, and gossip as they could get their hands on.

This wasn't a random PI they got, it was a world renowned ex-MI-5 (or was it 6?) agent who took down FIFA. It may be bullshit, but it's a shitload more potent than Clinton Cash ever was.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

He has convinced multiple people to marry him.

• Options
    A guy with shitty views about women and sexuality, and a tonne of cash. Of course he's hired prostitutes. It's like saying "Did Bill Clinton ever hire prostitutes?" Of course he did. They are both that sort of guy.

• Options

The Clinton Cash guy didn't have any real experience in the field while everything suggests this guy did have experience.

The document isn't a hit piece. It is more raw intelligence where the guy himself probably doesn't believe all of it and the sources have to be regarded with at least some suspicion. That is just how raw intelligence works, which is why it almost always needs follow ups to see what has any validity beyond just being credible.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

Except this guy was, reportedly, working without pay by the end of it and passing his findings directly to the FBI because, in his professional opinion, the info was cause for alarm.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-russia-dossier-file-investigation-hacking-christopher-steele-mi6-a7526901.html

The head of MI6 also thinks highly of him and his work.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-dossier-mi6-christopher-steele-russia-documents-alex-younger-a7528681.html

Clinton Cash this ain't.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

1. He's wealthy
    2. 50/50 his current wife is a handler for the FSB

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

so, yes, the leak of some unconfirmed allegations is character assassination and we shouldn't be treating these allegations as if they were true just because we want to believe they are true
    that doesn't mean they are untrue, however, and I think the allegations are worthy of investigation (unclear how seriously IC is taking the allegations, but they seem interested enough) since the allegations are so serious, it is something there should absolutely be no doubt about.
    but there is an aspect here of like, Trump is not taking steps he could take to dispel these allegations. He could release his tax returns, for one, as a statement of look, nothing untoward here, no signs of Russian money or influence to be found, but he still refuses to. + Trumps' unusual behavior w.r.t Russia in the past that lend some believability to the allegations

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »

so, yes, the leak of some unconfirmed allegations is character assassination and we shouldn't be treating these allegations as if they were true just because we want to believe they are true
    that doesn't mean they are untrue, however, and I think the allegations are worthy of investigation (unclear how seriously IC is taking the allegations, but they seem interested enough) since the allegations are so serious, it is something there should absolutely be no doubt about.
    but there is an aspect here of like, Trump is not taking steps he could take to dispel these allegations. He could release his tax returns, for one, as a statement of look, nothing untoward here, no signs of Russian money or influence to be found, but he still refuses to. + Trumps' unusual behavior w.r.t Russia in the past that lend some believability to the allegations

The beauty of this is that even if it was a hit piece Trump is the kind of guy who wouldn't react normally to this, thus he feeds the narrative that it's true.

• Options

1. He's wealthy
    2. 50/50 his current wife is a handler for the FSB

No kidding

I'm just saying that while he probably has paid for sex because that's kinda what misogynistic men in power do, I don't think it's because he couldn't have sex with other people. He just wanted to.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Frankly I don't even care

Trump needs to be taken down. If it takes falsehoods to do it fine

not like he's shown anyone else consideration before.

What happens if it comes out that the most egregious or outrageous accusations are false and all you've done is strengthen his position?

The Clinton Cash guy didn't have any real experience in the field while everything suggests this guy did have experience.

The document isn't a hit piece. It is more raw intelligence where the guy himself probably doesn't believe all of it and the sources have to be regarded with at least some suspicion. That is just how raw intelligence works, which is why it almost always needs follow ups to see what has any validity beyond just being credible.

If he had experience working collections then he has written IIRs/the British equivalent of IIRs and should have rated his sources just like an IIR would contain (Source ID, A-F on reliability and credibility, level of access). It's entirely possible he included that information and it didn't make it to the briefing notes that were leaked.

My best friend talks just like that and has three kids from two different women and can pull women pretty regularly. You can't accurately assess the ability of someone to attract sexual partners based solely on a comment a person made when they thought they were in a private conversation.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    NSDFRand wrote: »

My best friend talks just like that and has three kids from two different women and can pull women pretty regularly. You can't accurately assess the ability of someone to attract sexual partners based solely on a comment a person made when they thought they were in a private conversation.

You are still friends with this toad?

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    edited January 2017

You are still friends with this toad?

We've been friends for 20 years.

People and relationships are much more complicated than that.

In addition to talking like that he was also a great single father for a very long time when his drug abusing felon ex girlfriend dumped their 2 year old son on his parents door step one morning and disappeared for six months. He's worked himself to the bone to provide for his children. And any abusive relationship he's been in he was the receiver of the abuse (in one instance being literally kidnapped because he broke up with a toxic girlfriend). He's taken care of his sisters kids, and he's literally given people the shirt off of his back. And we've been friends since we were 8.

So when he says something I disagree with I don't drop him like a child would, I tell him I disagree and we move on.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    A guy with shitty views about women and sexuality, and a tonne of cash. Of course he's hired prostitutes. It's like saying "Did Bill Clinton ever hire prostitutes?" Of course he did. They are both that sort of guy.

Nope theres a difference: Bill Clinton, for however flawed he is, is a charming guy

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Maybe I'm a hateful spiteful person

but I could never be friends with a Trump voter

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

By "gets women" I assume he means "understands women" not "attracts women"

The biggest studliest horndog on the planet can be sleeping with a hundred lithe consenting women a night and have a stable of loving children it would not be evidence that he "gets women"

Trump's comments on that Access Hollywood tape lends a lot of evidence to the conclusion that he definitely doesn't "get women" because his perspective on women as conquests for the famous and powerful is the perspective of a macho douchebag and sex criminal who doesn't need or want to view women as human

Flipping over to Putin's lol comment today, the fact that Trump has a hot wife and sleeps with other hot chicks voluntarily says nothing about any alleged propensity for prostitutes. It's not a sex fantasy, it's a power fantasy. Like rape, or sexual assault (which don't apply to rich and powerful men). Trump views every aspect of his life as a domination/humiliation power struggle, why not with prostitutes as well?

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Hakkekage wrote: »

The biggest studliest horndog on the planet can be sleeping with a hundred lithe consenting women a night and have a stable of loving children it would not be evidence that he "gets women"

Trump's comments on that Access Hollywood tape lends a lot of evidence to the conclusion that he definitely doesn't "get women" because his perspective on women as conquests for the famous and powerful is the perspective of a macho douchebag and sex criminal who doesn't need or want to view women as human

Flipping over to Putin's lol comment today, the fact that Trump has a hot wife and sleeps with other hot chicks voluntarily says nothing about any alleged propensity for prostitutes. It's not a sex fantasy, it's a power fantasy. Like rape, or sexual assault (which don't apply to rich and powerful men). Trump views every aspect of his life as a domination/humiliation power struggle, why not with prostitutes as well?

Did you read the entire post?

The context of "I wouldn't be surprised if Trump never got sex for free" seems to indicate that "gets women" means "has sex with women without paying them".

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    A big theme with Trump is he also thinks that normal rules simply don't apply to him. If he wanted to get laid he wouldn't blink about hiring a hooker if it was the easier option.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    If I were a prostitute in Moscow I'd feel so insulted right now
    Nah, Putin praised them.
    Trump is “a grown man, and secondly he’s someone who has been involved with beauty contests for many years and has met the most beautiful women in the world,” Putin said. “I find it hard to believe that he rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world.”

Couscous on
  • Options

Nope theres a difference: Bill Clinton, for however flawed he is, is a charming guy

Pretty sure he's hired hookers though. This is just like saying "Why would that handsome, witty Hollywood actor who could have any girl he wanted hire hookers?" The history of Hollywood sleaze tells us that plenty would!

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Discretion and, if needs be, deniability* seem like pretty obvious motives for seeking out professional liasons; regardless of one's breadth of conventional opportunities.

*"Who are you going to believe, me or some prostitute looking to get famous?"

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Discretion and, if needs be, deniability* seem like pretty obvious motives for seeking out professional liasons; regardless of one's breadth of conventional opportunities.

Well, the prostitute hasn't lied to me yet...and just going off simple statistics is less likely to lie to me than Trump is. I know who I'm inclined to believe.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Well, the prostitute hasn't lied to me yet...and just going off simple statistics is less likely to lie to me than Trump is. I know who I'm inclined to believe.

yea if they were to tell me "Oh its sooo big" then I know they were lying.. then I would go in the bathroom and cry.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options

I would believe the guardian who always lies in a logic puzzle over Trump.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

Surely Taiwan?

Russia wants to grab a few countries that used to belong to it, too.

Russia has to deal with the fact that every single aggression it carries out anywhere -near- Europe is going to face giant backlashes from any countries near it. As scary as it sounds even I don't think Putin is very eager to take on the Scandinavian countries along with the Baltic States, Poland and a -super- pissed off Ukraine.
    They didn't have any problem with Ukraine the first time around. They're happy to be militarily involved in Syria, and are always ready/willing to put boots to throats in Chechnya/Georgia.

Europe isn't doing shit about 'Russian aggression', especially if the US isn't on board to back them up. The Europeans are distracted at home and among the Union. Between their financial problems, the refugee problems, and now Brexit, it's practically a perfect storm for an aggressive opportunist to come camp out on the EU's eastern borders.
    I'm pretty sure "kick in the doors and the whole rotting structure will come crashing down" might actually be more meaningful today than it was during Hitler's time and a great big nasty land war would probably do just that when combined with the sanctions the rest of the world would probably slap it with. And the US too if we decide to continue to ship shit to Russia while this was going on.
    I don't disagree... I'm just not sure that it's Russia's structure that would be crashing down rather than Europe's. Putin's been playing a long game, and he isn't bad at it. He won't make a move unless he thinks he can win (and has put moves into place to ensure that outcome... say, a sympathetic POTUS, for example).

No one's putting sanctions on the US. Not unless they want some 'shipments' of their own. Least of all Europe. If the narrative gets to that point, they've already lost.

If the US population is concerned about Trump's Russia connections, the EU should be positively shitting themselves.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    A big theme with Trump is he also thinks that normal rules simply don't apply to him. If he wanted to get laid he wouldn't blink about hiring a hooker if it was the easier option.

I doubt it's even that. He would just bellow "Why aren't there naked women fawning over me at this moment? Get me some naked women NOW!" And the assistant rushes out of the hotel and grabs the first acceptable women he sees willing to debase themselves for money. Trump himself knows nothing, as usual. They're just women there lavishing attention on him because he's so great.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Did you read the entire post?

The context of "I wouldn't be surprised if Trump never got sex for free" seems to indicate that "gets women" means "has sex with women without paying them".

You're right. I stand corrected

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

No; it started as a hit piece. And then the parties who were interested in the dirt walked away from it, because their interest in the matter had expired & there was no sense in burning money on a wild goose chase.

But Steele, like any good spook, didn't stop spying even after the job was technically cancelled. He find something and wanted to know more, so kept digging.

And completely unlike Clinton Cash, we didn't receive this information from some scandalizing Best Seller Bait book turned over for a quick buck - it was leaked out. It was leaked out primarily by Republican congressmen.

Now, it could be that Steele is still wrong on any number of the accounts, for any number of reasons (bad sources, exaggerated stories, mistaken identities, etc) - but no, this is not really comparable to someone turning-over what amounts to a novella tabloid for some meager sum of royalties & half a week worth of fame. Steele didn't even want to be fucking named and is now, apparently, underground (again, that too might mean nothing on it's own; old spooks are notoriously paranoid and often dealing with unsettled PTSD issues. As one would be).

All of this information might be wrong, but it is not 'fake news' or the equivalent of tacking-up a rag with a front cover intended to get some passer by to clutch at their jewelry. It's a real leak from a legitimate spy with existing contacts that have been vetted by at least 2 different intelligence agencies (M16 & the CIA; again, that perhaps doesn't mean much, but it's sure a whole lot better than what Pete Schweizer had) who was not actually paid by anyone, at the end of the day, to dig up this information.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm a hateful spiteful person

but I could never be friends with a Trump voter

Most people in America are apathetic and uniformed. A lot of people vote with no knowledge of policy or personality. This was a much more high profile election than most, but I still know people who basically just picked one at random.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    My family is a bunch of low information voters so it's really easy to squelch political discord when I'm the only one who has done any homework.

I don't think facts convince people. Being authoritative convinces people. I'm considered a political expert in my household because I know how many electors there are, and I stretch that bean enough to be consulted for voting decisions and policy arbitration. People don't want to just Google stuff; they want someone they trust to tell them what to do.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.