As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV THREAD] I've Ruled the Fart Inadmissible

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Unfortunate Events is clearly a very good show with a number of positive qualities that I enjoy and after 3 episodes I went "ok cool, I think I get it". It seems like it's going to go on roughly along these lines and it's a meal that filled me very quickly.

yeah that's actually one of the criticisms I would level at the source material

it just kinda went on a bit too long and didn't do enough with all that space

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Is unfortunate events very explicit with violence and what not, like don't let toddlers be around while this is on? I don't want to scare them, but I want to check it out. But if I have to watch it when they're asleep, i'll probably just skip it.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Unfortunate Events is clearly a very good show with a number of positive qualities that I enjoy and after 3 episodes I went "ok cool, I think I get it". It seems like it's going to go on roughly along these lines and it's a meal that filled me very quickly.

yeah that's actually one of the criticisms I would level at the source material

it just kinda went on a bit too long and didn't do enough with all that space

Yeah thats why I dropped it after a couple books, the formula showed no signs of changing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Is unfortunate events very explicit with violence and what not, like don't let toddlers be around while this is on? I don't want to scare them, but I want to check it out. But if I have to watch it when they're asleep, i'll probably just skip it.

I would say the Barry Sonnenfeld Adams Family movies are a decent metric. It's about on that level.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6-TK07SF8

this joke certainly doesn't seem dead

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Wow.

On the bright side maybe Steve Carell will make a Micheal Scott show that isnt terrible

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Wow.

On the bright side maybe Steve Carell will make a Micheal Scott show that isnt terrible

I would really hope Carell isn't that desperate.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    ASOUE follows a pretty similar formula until book like...four? THEN, shit pops off and basically never stops after (mid-books spoiler)
    the Baudelaires get framed for killing a dude, become fugitives and set themselves to solving the mystery their own damn selves.

After that, the structure has some pretty serious overhauls, like one book that's just a chase down a mountain, one where they're the ones in disguise, etc. So the gist of the show should be changing pretty dramatically if they get a season 2

ALSO: Have we talked about how Steven Merritt of the Magnetic Fields did a whole album for ASOUE, with one song for each book?? and the show somehow forgot to incorporate them......?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB4G5hzDqeE&index=1&list=PLAMLZqCCPGGvyHGTZgYug2t8v1AGHJiHx

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    ASOUE?

I'm drawing a complete blank on this one.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    ASOUE?

I'm drawing a complete blank on this one.

A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ohhhh yeah. That makes sense. Considering it's almost all we've been talking about for several pages.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Ohhhh yeah. That makes sense. Considering it's almost all we've been talking about for several pages.

And the words that make up the acronym are in the thumbnail of the video.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular

I've been reading the discussion and still thought "A Song of -- no wait."

• Options
    I didn't click the video and I honestly have never looked at any media regarding ASOUE. Never read the books or saw the other movie.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I too am watching ASOUE

I haven't read the books, but my wife has

We're two episodes in, and while I'm not sure I actually like the style, I do love how much they're just fucking going for it

And Patrick Warburton as Lemony Snicket is great, just wonderful

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I tried the books when I was a kid but found them too pleased with themselves to handle

The phrase 'ersatz elevator' has definitely lodged in my brain for some reason though

• Options
    Yeah Patrick Warburton is easily my favorite part of the show.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know if it's my age or what but somehow I completely missed it.

When the movie came out I remember thinking I should check it out but never did

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I don't know why I saw the movie, but I did, and the only part I can remember is Jim Carrey doing a Newfie impression and hollering "STAY WHERE YOU'RE AT AND I'LL COME WHERE YOU'RE TO" and I thought that was fun

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    so i should watch a series of unfortunate events?

that's my take away

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

that's my take away

That's my take now that I see Patrick Warburton is in it

• Options
    I want Patrick Warburton to narrate, like, everything
    up to and including the events of my actual life
    and yes, he should still be reminding everyone that whatever I'm doing at any given moment will not end well

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I want Patrick Warburton to narrate, like, everything
    up to and including the events of my actual life
    and yes, he should still be reminding everyone that whatever I'm doing at any given moment will not end well

i mean that last bit was kind of a given

meanwhile i want my life narrated by a sixty year old former blue oyster cult roadie

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    you should at the very least watch the first two episodes, that will tell you pretty much everything you need to know as far as determining whether it is something you'd be into

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I want my life to be narrated by Morgan Freeman

or Bobcat Goldthwait.

• Options
    He's a better show narrator than Ron Howard. Which is a heck of an accomplishment.

But I just fucking love the Our Town style of it of him just walking around the scene as it's happening telling you everything will be awful most of the time.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I want my life narrated by @Rorshach Kringle after he's had 3 40s in 20 minutes.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    He's a better show narrator than Ron Howard. Which is a heck of an accomplishment.

But I just fucking love the Our Town style of it of him just walking around the scene as it's happening telling you everything will be awful most of the time.

Wait what? Warburton just walks through scenes as they happen, narrating stuff like some kind of invisible omnipresent god?

Please say yes.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I want my life to be narrated by Morgan Freeman

or Bobcat Goldthwait.

hm hm yeah I'd roll with bobcat

• Options

Wait what? Warburton just walks through scenes as they happen, narrating stuff like some kind of invisible omnipresent god?

Please say yes.

Exactly this!

• Options
    I'd also take mike judge as beavis

• Options

Please say yes.

Exactly this!

In super nice suits and sometimes Victorian bathing suits even.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

that's my take away

@Rorshach Kringle, let me see if I can sell you on this.

While the show definitely will have some setbacks/negatives for you: the show is featured around three children (who are kind of meh) and is a bit repetitive in its formulas, I think you might enjoy it for the bad guy in it.

Count Olaf is a shitty local actor who, with the help of his cartoonish theater troupe, try to capture the children to steal their fortune. In the second episode he just keeps chasing them with a knife and utters lines like this:
    Klaus: We don't know what you're up to, but we will find out. If anything happens to my sisters or me, you'll never get your hands on the Baudelaire fortune.
    Count Olaf: If I wanted to harm you, orphan, your blood would be streaming out of this car like a waterfall.

Meanwhile there is one subplot that moves along with each episode in the background.

But the best part of the show is Patrick Warburton as the Rod Serling-like narrator of it who keeps warning the audience to stop watching.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Unfortunately Olaf is my big hang up of the show.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Please say yes.

Exactly this!

YES!!

*Clicks first episode and starts watching.*
    YES YES YESSSSSS

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Unfortunately Olaf is my big hang up of the show.

man I don't get this

• Options
    I want my life narrated by @Rorshach Kringle after he's had 3 40s in 20 minutes.

when i did college radio, one of our most popular features was me getting really drunk and describing death metal album covers

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

when i did college radio, one of our most popular features was me getting really drunk and describing death metal album covers

I would listen to this

• Options
    I can't tell if it's the dissonance of NPH's voice from that kinda badly done prosthetic job, or just the actual character. I think I need him to be like 10-20% more menacing? It seems like the plot thinks he is. I mean I get he like all of the adults needs to be some level of buffoon. But I dunno, I think it's a little too much for me.

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.