As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

19495969798100»

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Alazull wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I got to go to the ER recently, maybe I'll get to go again soon!

Potentially depressing old people stuff:
    My adopted grandma fell and cut her head the other day, and despite the paramedics strongly recommending she go to the ER to get fully checked out she refused. Until I offered to go with her. She checked out fine.

(I was basically across the street from the nursing home for boardgame night at a friend's place when I called her re: plans for Sunday morning.)

Now I got a call from the nursing home saying that she's not doing at all well, but they can't reach her daughter (who is away on a vacation), and she may be sent to the ER by the doctor, etc. I clarify that I'm not actually her grandson and that I'm 50 minutes away, but I make some calls and someone manages to contact her son in law.

That guy calls me to let me know that she's at the ER, and goes on to thank me but also thoroughly tell me that the nursing home was authorized to call an ambulance and that there's nothing more for us to do etc. and I don't know if he was trying to reassure me or tell me to not bother them.

Also, like, she's 92 and I don't really know how I feel about the prospect of her dying. Should I be there? I'm sure she'd like that, but I don't really want to be there and potentially have some bad memory. But maybe I'd end up feeling guilty about not being there? In any case, it may not even be a decision I end up being presented with.

Also also, I'm really tired.

I really want you to take the time to think of what ways more on you, the idea of having a bad memory or the potential guilt for not being there?

As someone who was there when his essentially adopted grandmother (she adopted my dad, who married my mom and adopted me, so we were technically family) passed away, while it sucked and sure I may have nightmares about it from time to time, the guilt I would have felt for not being there for her would have been crushing.
    Oh, just to clarify, I mean "adopted" as in she's someone my mom became friends with at church (10ish? years ago) and I sort of took over the weekly hanging out/running errands/fixing TV/etc. duties when my family moved away about five years ago.

Not the actual version of adopted.

Surfpossum on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Do you sometimes not understand big words?

Are you constantly roaming the woods in search of meat?

Um.... don't try Amateuraxia, cause those are totally side effects.

actual cannibal Shia LeBouf

Funny enough he's our spokesman.

side effects of Amateuraxia may include

- not getting youth references
    - having to find Spool to explain how to add people on Steam
    - stockpiling arms from the 1800s
    - a constant need to take two pieces of wood and rub them together to make fire, even in the summer
    - butt pees

are YOU on the beer list?
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    OH MY GOD HE ASKED A BLACK REPORTER IF SHE COULD SET UP A MEETING WITH THE CONGRESSIONAL BLACK CAUCUS "ARE THEY FRIENDS OF YOURS?"

I refuse to believe that happened.

I refuse to believe this happened.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    CIS seems like a dumb degree to me anyway. At least it is at my school, maybe it means something else elsewhere.

MIS and CIS are usually more career-path-toward-management oriented.

MIS just starts out management oriented, CIS does some bullshit path from helpdesk to management.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Seems like overkill for a cough, but it'll do nicely for today's events.
    3m3cm4pf799q.jpg

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Do you sometimes not understand big words?

Are you constantly roaming the woods in search of meat?

Um.... don't try Amateuraxia, cause those are totally side effects.

I don't get what say now

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    OH MY GOD HE ASKED A BLACK REPORTER IF SHE COULD SET UP A MEETING WITH THE CONGRESSIONAL BLACK CAUCUS "ARE THEY FRIENDS OF YOURS?"

This is probably the best way to deal.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Not even one percent alcohol gtfo and bring back the adult stuff.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Having interviewed STEM job applicants I can say that while there is no shortage of STEM graduates, there is a shortage of good STEM graduates.

My company isn't even trying to underpay or offer shit benefits and they've already accepted that they won't be getting google and apple level talent. And yet still, candidate after candidate cannot answer simple questions.

The ones that can answer are typically swimming in offers and take whatever tickles their fancy.

Can you give examples? This kind of thing makes me curious

canny edge detection and building boxes, etc

The canny edge detection story is actually a good example. My company does computer vision, so every applicant for certain positions has taken a computer vision course and listed computer vision as a specialization for a post-graduate degree. So keep that in mind.

Canny edge detection is one of the basic, most commonly taught computer vision algorithms. Its an image transform that takes in a fully detailed photographic image and spits out another image that looks more like a line drawing. Its great for, as its name suggests, detecting edges. It lets a computer greatly cut down the information content of an image, and make the content left over invariant to lighting, shading, etc. It's typically taught in Image Processing or Computer Vision 101 type classes.

I asked an open-ended question of a candidate. "How would you find a cardboard box in an image of a cardboard box?" The question tests a variety of things, but it's very open to discussion. One candidate in their answer mentioned the canny edge detector, but the way they used it in their design seemed a little odd and skipped a lot of steps, so I asked them to go back and explain. They looked at me like I had just ripped their pants down, so I knew I was in for a treat.

Over the course of their explanation, it became clear that they didn't know what the canny edge detector was or what it did or what its inputs and outputs were. These are not hard questions. It takes in a photo, it spits out a line drawing. But they couldn't say it because they didn't know it. They just threw out the words and hoped I'd let them gloss over it. And I would have, if their usage had made any sense.

From there the interview went rapidly downhill. It was clear they didn't have any computer vision experience and they failed the basic C/C++ programming test too. And this is not uncommon. This is representative of about half of the people who make it through the screening process. These are people with nice GPAs and degrees from good institutions. It's really demoralizing.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    morphia AND sulph?

sign me up

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

You have to believe it

Somebody has to understand what has actually happened, and it sure ain't this administration

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I didn't even bring up the canny edge detector as a knowledge spot check or gotcha! The candidate did!

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    Also Amateuraxia now features our patented new "tick delivery system"

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

A Trump truther?

"You expect me to believe that such a person could get elected? It is obviously an actor used by the media because the real president is too boring."

Just one tick is good for the whole year!

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Ready for another Narwhal [chat], are we?

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    My father-in-law was a super chill salesman. Angry customers who felt like the price was too high were always told they were welcome to call again in the future.

And then they would, because he was a competent salesperson that gave the actual price without shorting on miscellaneous services or billing surcharges.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i mean i had a bro who graduated (undergrad) with probably a fine GPA who was an absolutely terrible programmer
    at some point, he got an internship and was like hey man you should come work here too and i didn't say no, I don't want to work for any place that would hire you, but I did think it

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    nope this time it's AH chat

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Ready for another Narwhal [chat], are we?

Ready for another Tom Brady chat?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was blasting along at warp 5.6

@Sir Landshark will create the new thread
    @Evil Multifarious is backup

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

My favorite was at the end when she said "that wasn't so bad was it?" like she's a nurse who just gave a shot to a 4 year old.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    629212732_ZrjwW-2100x20000.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
    @desc @OnTheLastCastle Rocket League is on freeplay this weekend. Download it later and get some spins in.

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.