As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Audio Driver Issues (windows 10, 64 bit, auzentech x-fi prelude 7.1)

VariableVariable Mouth CongressStroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
edited March 2017 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm on Windows 10, 64 bit. My sound card is an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1

about a week ago I formatted my computer due to some issues that popped up out of nowhere. As always, upon getting windows going again, I installed drivers. Now I've tended to have some issues with sound drivers so lately I've just kept the same installation file on a backup hard drive (I mean the .zip I downloaded, not any sort of weird backup).

with windows 10, running this installation gives me an error. As I've done the last 2-3 times I installed win10, I googled and eventually learned/remembered that running the drivers as admin would get around the signature issue.

for whatever reason, on THIS install, after getting the drivers working and enjoying them for some amount of time, after a given restart windows 10 would suddenly bring the signature issue back up at which point I'd be forced to uninstall the drivers and reinstall as admin, bringing me once again to roughly a day of working sound drivers (I think it was until a restart but I am not 100% certain on that)

that is problem #1. very annoying but at least I was able to jump through hoops to get some audio, even if I had to keep jumping them every so often.

but now, somehow, I've reached a point where once windows refuses to use the installed driver, I can't uninstall the device or the driver. So I am stuck, currently, with a driver that technically works but windows won't run. in my device manager is the name of the device with an exclamation point in yellow and the letters (WDM) after the device name.

I've uninstalled the other stuff that got installed with the drivers (audio control panel, not necessary but I don't mind it and doing a full install has made it all go smoother in the past) but the driver itself refuses to budge - evidenced by the device manager knowing the name of the device instead of it reverting back to an unnamed audio device.

I hope this is not too ranty... I'm pretty angry and very confused because I've been using this card with win10 for over a year at this point and had no issues til this week.

if any more info is needed I'd be happy to provide it but I think I have the relevant details included and definitely all of the steps that I took.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
Variable on