As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2B Or Not 2B [Nier: Automata]

Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri LibrarianRegistered User regular
ab4.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJxNhJ8fjFk

Nier: Automata is a game made by your favorite mask wearing developer Yoko Taro! It's a character action/open world/bullet hell game. You know one of those old chestnuts. This thread is probably a little late but I didn't see another one so here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWbzUANlUis

I think Nier: Automata is a really special game and you should all play it if you get the chance!

2ohWien.png
Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    yes hi this game is good

I finished route A last week and am slowly making my way through route B

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I'm so glad this game sold well.

Yoko Taro's weirdness and Platinum's action chops are a perfect match.

• Options
    Also in this month's episode of Polygon's Besties it was revealed that (Ending K)
    Jackass's Mackerel ending may very well be a reference to a video rant from Justin McElroy about Nier 1's fishing.
    Mackerel. McElroy.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Just finished Ending A last night
    The whole Copied City was so cool and having all the bodies of other players mixed in with the other bodies really helped the vibe.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I finally just got to start this last night. Only got up to the first boss before I had to stop.

At this rate, I should finish the first ending by 2024, and the rest by 2194.

Hopefully I'm still alive.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    Also in this month's episode of Polygon's Besties it was revealed that (Ending K)
    Jackass's Mackerel ending may very well be a reference to a video rant from Justin McElroy about Nier 1's fishing.
    Mackerel. McElroy.

hmm
    I wonder if it's also mackerel in japanese, if not and it's a localization change I could see it being a reference by the localizers for sure.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular

Ending E spoilers
    The moment the choir comes in still gives me chills weeks after beating it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLAvHLQGOco

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I finally just got to start this last night. Only got up to the first boss before I had to stop.

The first boss being
    the giant oil rig thing, or beyond that? Because I'm in full on head-scratching mode on the one after the oil rig. What in the world was that...

I'm still getting used to the controls and the combo timings, but so far the game is pretty rad. Are the multiple routes/endings real easy to figure out (like, does the game just tell you or start you off on them)? I just don't want to miss anything and have to redo vast segments of the game.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    From what I've seen the major endings come in subsequent play throughs. Then there are tons of joke endings that take a few minutes each.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The major endings, at least thus far, are just through subsequent playthroughs. I'm only on the playthrough after C, however.

There's a ton of minor "YOU ARE DEAD" endings that are basically a line of text equating to "Welp, you're an idiot. Robots win." followed by the end credits on fast forward. For example, removing your OS chip has its own ending.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Basically you don't have to worry about missing anything, ever. Just enjoy the ride.

• Options
    I wasn't sure if they had nonsense like having to get and fully upgrade all the weapons like in all the other Nier/Drakengard joints

• Options
    Not for main plot endings, nah

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I wasn't sure if they had nonsense like having to get and fully upgrade all the weapons like in all the other Nier/Drakengard joints

Yoko Taro decided to be merciful this time thankfully.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Yeah, don't worry about missing stuff, none of the major endings have special requirements beyond "just keep playing" and you'll eventually unlock a chapter select if you want to go back for sidequests.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    It seems like you can miss the Game Over endings

MAJOR SPOILER FOR THIRD PLAYTHROUGH. SERIOUSLY DON'T CLICK IF YOU AIN'T DONE.
    Ending P is from getting to 100% corruption. So if you just do the objective there's no other way to get it

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    simulacrum wrote: »

Yoko Taro decided to be merciful this time thankfully.

Yeah, there's nothing in this game like the shit you have to do to get the Drakengard 3 final ending.
    It seems like you can miss the Game Over endings

MAJOR SPOILER FOR THIRD PLAYTHROUGH. SERIOUSLY DON'T CLICK IF YOU AIN'T DONE.
    Ending P is from getting to 100% corruption. So if you just do the objective there's no other way to get it
    You should just be able to chapter select that, though?

I think the only one you can well and truly miss is Ending Y, since it's tied to a sidequest that can't be repeated.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

The first boss being
    the giant oil rig thing, or beyond that? Because I'm in full on head-scratching mode on the one after the oil rig. What in the world was that...

I'm still getting used to the controls and the combo timings, but so far the game is pretty rad. Are the multiple routes/endings real easy to figure out (like, does the game just tell you or start you off on them)? I just don't want to miss anything and have to redo vast segments of the game.

The former

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Speaking of which, if you really want to see how all three franchises connect, but Automata is your first entry to the Wubbulous World of Yoko Taro, then this video does a thorough job of showing how the chronology. Drakengard 2 is largely dismissed since Yoko didn't work on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6n2KGbaZ0

It is absolutely no necessary to enjoy Automata, even the original Nier isn't required, but there are characters from the older games and some logs that directly reference such lore.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Is there a specific point of no return to be aware of for sidequests? Or just don't sweat it, have fun being robots

• Options
    Is there a specific point of no return to be aware of for sidequests? Or just don't sweat it, have fun being robots

For both Route A and B
    The point of no-return would be starting the missile mission in the area with all the submerged buildings.

For Route C
    There honestly aren't many sidequests here, so it wasn't an issue for me. But I'd assume the PONR would be entering the tower.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I really should get Ending E.

• Options
    I never hit the self destruct on 2B and I'm honestly proud and ashamed of myself.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I just started playing this!

I really really like it but I am also very bad at it and almost immediately got ending W!

• Options
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    I never hit the self destruct on 2B and I'm honestly proud and ashamed of myself.

You haven't done Route C yet, so you've still got a chance.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I finally got ending C this past weekend. This game really starts going for the gut punches during route C. I feel like that's when it finally becomes a Yoko Taro game. The closing stretch is really cool too.

I'm going to try to get endings D and E during the week.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

You haven't done Route C yet, so you've still got a chance.

Yeah, there's a few appropriate moments to self destruct.

• Options
    Is anyone else on PC having issues with the pre-rendered cutscenes being choppy as heck?

• Options
    not I

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Is anyone else on PC having issues with the pre-rendered cutscenes being choppy as heck?

known issue, mod to fix maybe (i'm not on pc): http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ah cool, cheers

• Options
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    TOO SLOW

2ohWien.png