As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2] Your deepest darkest secrets! OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    It's just as good the second time y'all

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    is that Elizabeth "Ayesha" Debicki?

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular

I think she is an actor at one of the Disney parks that goes around as Mary Poppins.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The relevant quote is now being used in television advertisements. Can we return it to its rightful place in the thread title?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Merle Poppins ya'll

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

I think she is an actor at one of the Disney parks that goes around as Mary Poppins.

Moderately disappointed that it wasn't Emily Blunt who is filming a Mary Poppins sequel right now, gotta get that synergy.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Moderately disappointed that it wasn't Emily Blunt who is filming a Mary Poppins sequel right now, gotta get that synergy.

Wherein Mary Poppins is magic super soldier who has a gun in her umbrella.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Wherein Mary Poppins is magic super solider who has a gun in her umbrella.

This is something I never knew I wanted, till right this second.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

"A spoonful of bullets helps the bad guys go down...in a most delightful way."

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It really seems like they are building up to Nebula's moment in Infinity Gauntlet.
    What I hope will happen is that she grabs the gauntlet and looks like she did before she was augmented.
    It would be cool if she looked like Nebula from the comics, complete with a full head of hair.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Am I imagining things or did the red ravager dude who begged Yondu for help look like The Hoff?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Zardu Hasslefrou?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Am I imagining things or did the red ravager dude who begged Yondu for help look like The Hoff?

I'm guessing that, as time passes, more and more celebrity cameos are going to be revealed.
    Kind of like The Force Awakens, where you only found out months later that it was James Bond in that storm trooper armor, or that it was Simon Pegg in the Unkar Plutt costume

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    This movie spent so much time on the Ravagers. I did not care about the Ravagers.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

"A spoonful of bullets helps the bad guys go down...in a most delightful way."

Phrasing.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I feel like they should have made Star Lord not as good at fighting as he is, if only to make gamora and dead look better ally comparison

but hes not really all that great a fighter. and the Disney toning down of the violence is definately going to hurt gamora / drax cause thats what they are good at.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    So btw....is it Groot as a baby again, or is it literally, Groot's Baby?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Groot's baby.

• Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    This movie was a saccharine spectacle. I was kind of amazed how basically every character was like "AND HERE ARE MY EMOTIONS AND THIS IS WHAT I THINK." Like, everyone was Drax basically. 0 tact, always stating their literal feelings.

It was fun to watch but I think the 3D in IMAX actually hurt it. Foreground objects were not really framed nicely for the 3D effect, making moments where something huge and blurry would be in your face despite the focus pull on something smaller. That might just be my own dislike of that form of 3D.

Also, in addition to telegraphing all feelings, this seemed to telegraph every single plotpoint. Which is fine, it just came off as very simplistic, all primary colors, which might have been part of the intention if this franchise is meant to just speak directly to 1980's nostalgia and appeal to the inner child of those who grew up in that time. Fun, but I don't think I would see it again. I probably would not have gone if it weren't for the fact that I had my ticket paid for by someone else. Nice to see Kurt Russell is still getting work.

• Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Groot's baby.

Depends on who you believe. Gunn said that Baby Groot is a new version, but Feige corrected that statement by saying it's the same Groot, similar to his comics portrayal.

Tach on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Fiege > Gunn so there we have it.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    The presence of Ben Browder in this one really struck home how Farscape-ish Gunn's take on the material is.

I didn't realize until I googled it today that Gunn had already basically admitted he had ripped off been heavily inspired by Farscape.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    I will forever wish minor doom on the assholes at Scifi who renewed it then went just kidding and killed it.

Serenity got a movie. Moya and crew in GotG 3 or I frown!

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I will forever wish minor doom on the assholes at Scifi who renewed it then went just kidding and killed it.

They got a bigger budget two part mini-series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKH9HLzoYB0

• Options
    I am aware. I just want more Farscape.

And Crichton needs to meet Quill.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I just saw this. I went to a late showing and had the stadium theater to myself. It made a noticeable positive difference in the surround sound quality to not have all those extra bodies, which was interesting.

Anyway. First it was awesomely silly, and then it was just awesome. And it made me cry.

Standout moments:

Yondu, stone-faced while the mutineers murder his crew in front of him, listening to their pleas and knowing he can't do anything to help :bigfrown:

The look of pure, unadulterated joy on Peter's face when Ego tosses the ball back to him.

Ego mentions giving Peter's mom a tumor... and you realize that the tumor was actually Ego, just like the plants, because Ego is literally cancer. He (it?) is the mindless drive to procreate, personified; and it's terrifying. Which also means that Peter is literally face to face with the cancer that killed his mom - and even after he empties both guns into it, it just ignores him and grows right back because that's what cancer does.

(There's a sci-fi novel whose name escapes me that deals with sort of the same concept - a rapidly-expanding hive mind intent on eradicating humanity - and in that book, the hivemind has out-competed all of the other emergent minds of its species. As a result, it believes that the only way to survive is to kill everything before it either kills you or grows to the point where conflict is inevitable. It cannot comprehend the idea of a single universe supporting more than one life. I couldn't help reading some of that into Ego as well.)

Nebula's body repairing itself. It's one thing for her to claim she suffers; it's quite another to see it so explicitly.

Similarly, Nebula volunteering to power(?) the guns later. In any other movie, that would be a throwaway badass moment. In this one, it underscores how intimately familiar she is with pain.

...and too many others to list. I love it when movies do little character moments that aren't explicitly called out as such; they feel all the more powerful for it.

• Options
    OremLK wrote: »
    The presence of Ben Browder in this one really struck home how Farscape-ish Gunn's take on the material is.

I didn't realize until I googled it today that Gunn had already basically admitted he had ripped off been heavily inspired by Farscape.

Wasn't GotG in existence before farscape was created? (as a comic i mean...or are you just talking the general themes)

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I just saw this. I went to a late showing and had the stadium theater to myself. It made a noticeable positive difference in the surround sound quality to not have all those extra bodies, which was interesting.

Anyway. First it was awesomely silly, and then it was just awesome. And it made me cry.

Standout moments:

Yondu, stone-faced while the mutineers murder his crew in front of him, listening to their pleas and knowing he can't do anything to help :bigfrown:

The look of pure, unadulterated joy on Peter's face when Ego tosses the ball back to him.

Ego mentions giving Peter's mom a tumor... and you realize that the tumor was actually Ego, just like the plants, because Ego is literally cancer. He (it?) is the mindless drive to procreate, personified; and it's terrifying. Which also means that Peter is literally face to face with the cancer that killed his mom - and even after he empties both guns into it, it just ignores him and grows right back because that's what cancer does.

(There's a sci-fi novel whose name escapes me that deals with sort of the same concept - a rapidly-expanding hive mind intent on eradicating humanity - and in that book, the hivemind has out-competed all of the other emergent minds of its species. As a result, it believes that the only way to survive is to kill everything before it either kills you or grows to the point where conflict is inevitable. It cannot comprehend the idea of a single universe supporting more than one life. I couldn't help reading some of that into Ego as well.)

Nebula's body repairing itself. It's one thing for her to claim she suffers; it's quite another to see it so explicitly.

Similarly, Nebula volunteering to power(?) the guns later. In any other movie, that would be a throwaway badass moment. In this one, it underscores how intimately familiar she is with pain.

...and too many others to list. I love it when movies do little character moments that aren't explicitly called out as such; they feel all the more powerful for it.

I'm 99% certain that book you're thinking of is Pandora's Star and it's sequel Judas Unchained by Peter Hamilton

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »

Standout moments:

I'm 99% certain that book you're thinking of is Pandora's Star and it's sequel Judas Unchained by Peter Hamilton

It is, thank you! I couldn't remember any Googleable details.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So I have a background image of the pre-production concept art they released of the Guardians.

Noticing it post-viewing, I realized: The only time Yondu flies with his arrow is the Mary Poppins moment.

That was planned from the very beginning. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Wasn't GotG in existence before farscape was created? (as a comic i mean...or are you just talking the general themes)

The comic used to be a lot different. Drax was originally a human soul in a mad science homonulus body built to kill Thanos, for example. The particular adaptations of the Guardians in the MCU are based on Moya's original crew at least as much, arguably more so, than the same characters in the 616.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Also Starlord wasn't a Guardian until a few years ago. And you know what? He had a handgun that shot all kinds of elements! Not zinc and iron, but earth, fire, air, and water! I think movie Peter's planet-morphing powers might've been a nod to that.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Xeddicus wrote: »

They got a bigger lower budget two part mini-series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKH9HLzoYB0

Seriously, there's a noticable drop in quality for the makeup effects due to budget constraints in the mini.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

The GotG originated in a 70's anthology series, as a group of genetically modified human colonists of the Sol system (plus one native of Alpha Centauri and a time-lost human from the 20th century) forming a resistance against an oppressive alien threat (the Badoon) that had completely taken over the Sol system. The idea of Stakar, Yondu and the rest being an old gang is an homage to this team, as those characters were the original Guardians in the comics.

They vanished in the 80's but came back in a big way in the 90's with their own ongoing by Jim Valentino, which kicked ass and greatly expanded the concept and roster. It lasted some 60 issues.

The concept was later revisted for the anti-Annihilation team created by Peter Quill in the wake of two universal near-destruction events happening back to back. This was a paramilitary group who's primary purpose was to keep the Universe from getting trashed again. They took their name from a further time-lost Vance Astro (the 20th century astronaut who woke up from stasis in the year 3000, only to get sent back to modern times) who they ran into early on in their careers.

The team disappeared from 2010 to about 2013 when the movie went into production, and the team was slowly shifted over from being a bunch of grizzled soldiers and cosmic heavy hitters to being the more movie-esque "criminals with a hearts of gold" over the next few years.

• Options
    I know we agreed never to talk of this again...but ....

I am groot!
    b7db8e5e0800ac37817da806691cc72f.jpg

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Those are clearly fingers, not toes.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So I liked it better than the first movie. It was pretty good.

• Options

Yes, but the movies take a very liberal take on the IP. Especially with Starlord.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Yes, but the movies take a very liberal take on the IP. Especially with Starlord.

Who?