As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Interested in Possibly Getting a Temp Working Holiday Visa?

JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
I'm playing with the idea of getting a working holiday visa in New Zealand. Right now none of this is definite and may not (probably never will) happen but I figured what they hey, no harm in coming up with a plan.

I was there back around Christmas but only got to spend about a week which was no where near enough time and I really would like to explore more. Plus I needs me some more of that chocolate milk. I fall well within the age range for the visa and I found a website with job listings specifically for backpackers so, on the surface anyway, it doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to pull off. Has anybody here ever done something similar, New Zealand or elsewhere? Any tips or advice would be appreciated, as well as any reccomendations from actual inhabitants. Specifically on where would be a good place to start. I was thinking Christchurch, maybe? I fell in love the coast, particularly around Picton and I get all wistful and stare off into the distance when I think about it and would love to get back up there.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    My wife and I did this on our honeymoon, and it worked out great (though that was 14 years ago so things might be different now).

We worked for six months, staying in Auckland because we figured it'd be a good place to find work, which we did; after that we did the classic thing of buying a van and driving around for a few months sleeping in the back it and using the van parking spots in hostels (which means you get to use shower/kitchen facilities but not a bed, in exchange for less money).

I don't know about backpacking jobs specifically; I did computing stuff, my wife worked in a cafe. We then went on to Australia and worked for six months there picking fruit, which is a more normal sort of temporary transient work -- that was fine as well, though more effort and worse conditions, unsurprisingly, so if you can find a "real" job rather than a "backpacking" one you might prefer that. Depends on how long you'll be in one place and what sorts of work you want, though.

There's an Australia thread in SE++ and I think some NZ folks hang out in there as well, for more up-to-date info.