As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should my gym teacher get in trouble for these comments?

JohnnyCab13JohnnyCab13 Registered User new member

I have this gym teacher in high school summer classes teaching my gym class who is young, (30 or a couple years younger) and she teaches physical education and English. She is a pretty cool teacher and nice. We will be about to do the swimming unit. When she was describing what stuff you need to bring she mentioned to the boys in the class that she likes the swimming unit the most because she can see all the boys without their shirts off and see how you all really look and how fit you really are. the comment doesn't bother me in the slightest , but if some kid who was around me decides to go cry about it, will she get in trouble? I talked to a friend of mine about it (who wasn't there) and he says it is wrong and she should get in trouble but I don't see why, I talked to another person and they said this was out of line and should be reported
she was actually doing anything then I would agree. I am not going to say anything, she is a really good and nice teacher and I will not get her in trouble. Would you feel uncomfortable by this comment? Some people might say it is an encouraging comment. In fact most people laughed at the comment. even if she does get in trouble, should she really

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yes.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's not cool, even a joke. People have been fired for way less.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    There's a pretty easy test you can do in situations like this where you're asking "Was that acceptable?".
    Flip the genders and see if you still think it's a harmless joke.

If this was a late twenties, early thirties male gym teacher who dropped that comment on a class of high school girls would you still think it's just a harmless joke? Or does cross into the "Wait a minute, this is some creepy shit for an adult in a position of authority to be saying" category for you?

Should she get fired for it? Maybe not, I don't know past history here, if it's a one time thing, I don't think getting fired is right. If it's a recurring thing? Maybe she shouldn't be in that position.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I'm a teacher, and no, that is not even close to appropriate.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It's up to you if you want to report it or not, but if someone else feels the need to report it they are well within their right; you don't talk to your students that way especially if they're minors. We obviously weren't there, but as it sounds then yes, she could get in trouble.

I don't think we can be much more help to you at this point; you'll need to speak to an adult with more information from here. People shouldn't be bullied into or out of making these reports as they deem appropriate.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.