Options

[Pyre] Only Supergiant could make story-driven fantasy NBA JAM work

DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss.Registered User regular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ib-7Rq5wPY

Come on and SLAM
and welcome to the JAM
Come on and SLAM
If you want to... free yourself from banishment in the wastelands of the Downside?

This is a game by Supergiant, so of course gorgeous artwork from Jen Zee and brilliant music from Darren Korb are par for the course. But it's also their first tale that involves the hearts, minds, and goals of a larger cast, with plenty of tough choices. The gameplay is a sort of 3v3 mini-moba where you can shoot, pass, dunk, and sprint around a court littered with obstacles and enemies. I'm at about the 4 hour mark and I've got I think 8 or so teammates to choose from. Just like the weapon upgrades in Bastion and the Functions in Transistor, each decision to bring a specific team comp, or the upgrades they choose, or the talismans they carry into battle is a significant choice.

Sometimes the story will force you to take certain party members, or others will refrain or refuse to participate, but with so many great options I've never felt like I was forced to play with a team that didn't work well.

«1

Posts

  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I bought this. It is weird, but the animation is gorgeous!

    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    disagree, Platinum Games could have totally made it work

    but pyre's cool too

    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I'm about 5 hours into it, and I still don't feel like I have mastery of the controls. There's a point in the story when the gloves comes off, and I just got thoroughly dunked on after coasting to victory up to that point.

  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    This game is fucking incredible.

    It's longer and more complex than the initial impression, and the sheer amount of choices to make is fascinating. I wonder how many of them make a real difference. I suspect many of them, given how easily the game makes small adjustments to minor things like results of rituals and past interactions.

    I played this all night and I feel like I'm maybe a third or a quarter through. It might also demand a replay.

    Multiplayer will be crazy, given how intense these later matches are. Currently 9-0, but I have some reasons to throw a match now...

  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Good to hear that the difficulty goes up after a while, I'm about to the end of what I THINK is Act 1 and I've been taking everyone to Slam Town so far.

    Oh and, spoilers for after I think the 7th rite
    When Sandalwood started talking to me with VOICE ACTED ENGLISH SPEECH before switching back to Simlish when talking to Hedwyn I damn near fell off my couch.

  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    Good to hear that the difficulty goes up after a while, I'm about to the end of what I THINK is Act 1 and I've been taking everyone to Slam Town so far.

    Oh and, spoilers for after I think the 7th rite
    When Sandalwood started talking to me with VOICE ACTED ENGLISH SPEECH before switching back to Simlish when talking to Hedwyn I damn near fell off my couch.

    It depends on your team comp and ability choices for sure. I love big bruisers so I used Jodariel as often as I could, and with her rush and stamina-on-banish upgrades she can often wipe out an enemy team pretty quickly. The only time this fails is super dense terrain or an enemy Demon with an aura that's as big or bigger.

    Rukey with his speed upgrade and double jump is also hilarious, and incredibly hard to stop. I'd hate to face that kind of Cur in multiplayer.

  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    This game is great so far, but I'm only up to the fourth rite or so.

    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    VirtualVoltVirtualVolt Registered User regular
    Went to buy this game this morning, saw it still had the pre-order price on Amazon and not on Steam, so bought it there and then went to work. When I got home I noticed I bought the PS4 version and not the PC version...

    Guess I'm playing it on there lol, I'm glad I actually own a PS4 otherwise this would be much more tragic.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I've only done one Liberation Rite so far, and it was really, really hard to make that decision. You can only choose from your 3 most enlightened (most xp) team members. So you're giving up someone you rely on to win, and someone you probably really like as a character.

    It's also pretty genius as it forces you to learn all the players, which would normally be awful except the entire roster is full of great characters.

  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I love the imp. He's so adorable.

    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I love the imp. He's so adorable.

    I am really bad with Ti'zo. I keep forgetting I can't throw my aura and self-destructing.

  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I made all of my auras big on my characters and I gave him the +1 gold trinket and just speed around the map with him farming characters.

    I'm sure this strategy will stop working soon, but it's fun for now!

    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Ti'zo is hilarious and seems extremely powerful.

  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Ti'zo's Beyonder amulet upgraded to level 20 means he can just dart and fly forever, it's really good.

    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Is there a post game or NG+ where I can keep playing with upgraded and equipped guys?

    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I suddenly want a Ti'zo plushie more than anything.

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    I suddenly want a Ti'zo plushie more than anything.

    Supergiant's always been pretty up on their merch game. I wouldn't be surprised if you get your wish.

  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    This game is longer than it appears at first glance, and the gloves have definitely come off at this point. I just had my first loss, I was not prepared for how brutal certain teams can be.

    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    This game is longer than it appears at first glance, and the gloves have definitely come off at this point. I just had my first loss, I was not prepared for how brutal certain teams can be.

    It does seem to even out a bit, though I'm not sure if the enemies getting easier or my own strategies improving.

    also I've come around on Ti'zo. I've gotten a lot better at zipping around with him. I still get blown up when I'm trying to use his aura more often than not, but I run him as a scorer, not an attacker.

  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    can i kiss anyone or what

    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So I've heard this game described as "The Banner Saga, but with slightly less soul-crushing depression and slightly more fantasy sportsball", which sounds good.

    Does it work OK with just keyboard and mouse?

  • Options
    VirtualVoltVirtualVolt Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I run him as a scorer, not an attacker.

    I'm convinced he's the best scorer in the game. The flutter allows so much airtime before the defenders can really do anything, a lot of the time I can reach the pyre with a Ti'zo rush.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    So I've heard this game described as "The Banner Saga, but with slightly less soul-crushing depression and slightly more fantasy sportsball", which sounds good.

    Does it work OK with just keyboard and mouse?

    The keyboard and mouse controls are great, I haven't felt the need for a controller.

    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I run him as a scorer, not an attacker.

    I'm convinced he's the best scorer in the game. The flutter allows so much airtime before the defenders can really do anything, a lot of the time I can reach the pyre with a Ti'zo rush.

    Ti'zo, Sir Gilman, and Rukey - once they get a few upgrades, they can almost score on demand by making a mad dash for the orb and the leaping into the pyre

    This would be broken if it weren't mitigated by narrative elements.

  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    For a certain someone's choice of name
    I picked Rhae and she said something like, "you're right, that IS my name!"

    Does she just always say you're right?

    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    For a certain someone's choice of name
    I picked Rhae and she said something like, "you're right, that IS my name!"

    Does she just always say you're right?

    You know, I was thinking about this last night. There's another scene like this where you've got options and when I selected one the character said they felt the same. I felt pretty good, then wondered if they just always say that. And it made me sad that a second playthrough I'd have to choose between seeing their reaction to a different choice, or killing the mystery of whether the character actually was intended to have the same opinion.

    If you're set on knowing...
    She always agrees. I picked Shae. She said she was called "Shae the Shoddy", though she didn't use the second part because she didn't like it much.

  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Okay yo, how come I didn't know there was a wizard basketball component to this game? Holy shit I need to get on this thing.

    Zxerol on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I think this bit from IGN's review highlights just how masterful the interplay of gameplay/story is:
    Rukey Greentail is one of your first companions and quickly became my star orb-runner in The Trials, with his speed and agility forming the cornerstone of my playstyle. The strategies I’d developed all had him at their center. He was my secret weapon. But by chance, while following an optional objective on our travels I overheard Rukey praying to the stars for something he really wanted in his heart of hearts. Something I felt like I would be a monster to deny him. The catch? Granting him his wish would remove him from my roster forever. I struggled with the decision mightily through many Trials, and of all the earthshaking choices I made throughout the last act, the one that left the greatest emotional impression on me had to do with Rukey’s wish.

  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Noggin wrote: »
    For a certain someone's choice of name
    I picked Rhae and she said something like, "you're right, that IS my name!"

    Does she just always say you're right?

    You know, I was thinking about this last night. There's another scene like this where you've got options and when I selected one the character said they felt the same. I felt pretty good, then wondered if they just always say that. And it made me sad that a second playthrough I'd have to choose between seeing their reaction to a different choice, or killing the mystery of whether the character actually was intended to have the same opinion.

    If you're set on knowing...
    She always agrees. I picked Shae. She said she was called "Shae the Shoddy", though she didn't use the second part because she didn't like it much.

    -ae is bae.

    I made my first, ahem, *difficult* decision.
    I freed Jodariel without hesitation. I got sick of her shit and every route taken and decision made reducing her Hope. She seemed like a pretty static character and I doubt whatever character development awating would change this, so hopefully she brings her experience to the table of the rebellion in the end.

    When telling her "yes I fear and respect you" let to Jodariel taking it as a complement and smiling but lost Hope anyway, I knew I would be done with her.

    Furthermore, even if I liked her, I think I'm fine with losing all of these characters if it leads to something awesome later.

    Good riddance.

    Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Noggin wrote: »
    For a certain someone's choice of name
    I picked Rhae and she said something like, "you're right, that IS my name!"

    Does she just always say you're right?

    You know, I was thinking about this last night. There's another scene like this where you've got options and when I selected one the character said they felt the same. I felt pretty good, then wondered if they just always say that. And it made me sad that a second playthrough I'd have to choose between seeing their reaction to a different choice, or killing the mystery of whether the character actually was intended to have the same opinion.

    If you're set on knowing...
    She always agrees. I picked Shae. She said she was called "Shae the Shoddy", though she didn't use the second part because she didn't like it much.

    -ae is bae.

    I made my first, ahem, *difficult* decision.
    I freed Jodariel without hesitation. I got sick of her shit and every route taken and decision made reducing her Hope. She seemed like a pretty static character and I doubt whatever character development awating would change this, so hopefully she brings her experience to the table of the rebellion in the end.

    When telling her "yes I fear and respect you" let to Jodariel taking it as a complement and smiling but lost Hope anyway, I knew I would be done with her.

    Furthermore, even if I liked her, I think I'm fine with losing all of these characters if it leads to something awesome later.

    Good riddance.

    This game is going to be really hard to talk about wrt spoilers. There are so many factors involved. This isn't a spoiler so much as "the result of my personal actions"
    I beat the Tempers in the first liberation rite. Then when I had a chance to play them again, I threw the game because you see some of Ignacious' inner thoughts and I wanted to see what his victory result was.
    Later on, when I had another chance to play them, I threw the game again
    Jodariel and Ignacious had a... sweet moment. I actually ended up liberating her soon after that, but I really wanted to see where it went.

    Yeah, this game is going to have all kinds of replay value, which was actually one of my chief complaints about Bastion and Transistor.

  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I just beat this.
    Fuck there are a lot of hard choices. You can't do everything for everyone.

    I think it really does work best if you just do what you think is right in the moment, which is... fitting.

    Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Likewise.

    I think at this point I prefer Transistor overall, but there's a hell of a lot of depth and mastery to find in Pyre, and the broader cast of characters is great.

    Oats on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    The more I play this game, the more I hope it sells well enough to justify them contracting some way to get online vs mode working.

    Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Purchased this the other day because I figure with the other games they've made that I've liked a snap purchase can't be all that bad, haven't actually fired it up yet, but I've noticed it's patched a few times since then, is it particularly buggy or is it more or less in a good state to dive into?

    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    No bugs that I've run into. I've found maybe one or two typos.

  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    No bugs that I've run into. I've found maybe one or two typos.

    Literally unpalyable

    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Noggin wrote: »
    For a certain someone's choice of name
    I picked Rhae and she said something like, "you're right, that IS my name!"

    Does she just always say you're right?

    You know, I was thinking about this last night. There's another scene like this where you've got options and when I selected one the character said they felt the same. I felt pretty good, then wondered if they just always say that. And it made me sad that a second playthrough I'd have to choose between seeing their reaction to a different choice, or killing the mystery of whether the character actually was intended to have the same opinion.

    If you're set on knowing...
    She always agrees. I picked Shae. She said she was called "Shae the Shoddy", though she didn't use the second part because she didn't like it much.

    That's a nice touch actually.
    Mine was Kae the unkempt.

  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    About that first Big Choice.
    Alright, so I can lose my only demon, my only cur or one of my two humans.

    Sorry Hed- I mean, erm, Congratulations Hedwyn, you get your freedom back and aren't just getting dropped from the roster because I've got a kind of backup for your role anyway.

    I have a feeling they're only going to get tougher from here.

  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Hahah, oh Hedwyn.
    They banished you for that? You deserve a medal. :winky:

    Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    the airship theme is so good

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Nqbi8lZj0

Sign In or Register to comment.