As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where there's [Kids and Parenting] there's five opinions

lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
edited July 2017 in Social Entropy++
Share your good news!
Share your bad news!
Share your joys and your grief.
Vent about what horrible little assholes your kids are being!
Brag about what darling little angels your kids are being!

Parenting and raising kids and Pregnancy and all that stuff are more then welcome in this thread.

Don't have a kid of your own but you're totally kid adjacent (Uncles and Aunts)? Welcome! This can be a space for you as well!

Basic rules:
  • Don't be a dickhead! Every parent and family has their own way of doing things and while they might not exactly match YOUR way of doing it, it might not be completely wrong.
  • This should be a safe space and judgement free zone for Penny Arcade forum parents. If you need to vent because your toddler is having their 6th tantrum before noon, please do so! Nobody will judge!
  • Please keep in mind that while we are all mostly comfortable with each other and have all known each other for some time, these forums are not closed and can be read by anybody. Respect each other's privacy.
  • Enjoy! Brag! Commiserate!

I'm wanting to do a bit more with this OP than I did last time, I'm a bit more confident now. I would like to get a bunch of resources together for all of us. TV shows on netflix and the like that we'd all recommend. Any books that you've found interesting for helpful for your kids, of any age. Maybe even share some kid-friendly recipes. Both for getting the Toddler to just eat something already please!, and for getting the younger kids cooking in the kitchen.

If that's ok with you guys and stuff, I'd love your help filling the sections out!

Thread recommended TV series for young kids:
The Wiggles
Super Simple Songs on Youtube
Ask the Storybots (Netflix)
Beat Bugs (Netflix)
Mickey Mouse Club

Thread recommended Books for young kids:
Anything Board Books for toddlers and younger

Recipes for getting food into stubborn babies/toddlers kids:

Recipes for getting the Kids into the Kitchen:

lonelyahava on

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Jaina is two, so these recommendations are with that in mind.

TV: Jaina loves the Super Simple Songs YouTube channel. Dave and Ava is also really great, and I credit the two with some of the improvement in her speech.

Books: nothing with pages. Board books only unless you want to clean up diced pages every day. Jaina really likes the Llama Llama books, and anything with lots of numbers and letters she can read. Also, We're Going on a Bear Hunt.

On the electronic front, if you have an iPad, there's a whole range of apps from SagoMini that are amazing.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh, and congrats to @mrpaku on the announcement at the end of the last thread!

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Daniel's been pretty enamoured with Ask the Storybots on Netflix

He's learned about stuff like where the sun goes at night, and that he actually likes potatoes (because potatoes get turned into a lot of things he likes to eat). The music isn't constantly painful, like a lot of kid's music on these shows. Also the celebrity cameos are pretty neat (Weird Al; Kevin Smith), with the sole exception I've seen being Jay Leno as a knight teaching kids how to fake laugh, a segment which seems like it was designed by committee to make me hate Jay Leno all over again

edit: Thanks, @lonelyahava ! :o

mrpaku on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Question: When vacationing, do toddlers/babies have disrupted bathroom schedules? We went up North for four days, and while she had lots of liquids and food, she made only one bowel movement. No crankiness or fever, but considering she usually goes once per day, I'm assuming all the excitement, she's just had a bit of a disruption.

tqpz3dhf3vjo.jpg

Edit: Yup... she just got up from her post trip nap, and made a barely contained dump.

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    New kid thread...smells like poop.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Tv: Kate loves Mickey Mouse club. She likes paw patrol. Watches baby first tv channel and loves harry the bunny. She'll ignore everyone if that show about the two pugs that go on missions is on.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying our stint of watching Beat Bugs on Netflix at the moment. It's hard to complain about any show where succumbing to merch means having to play Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band slightly more frequently.

Also the celebrity Beatles covers are indulgent fun. Who doesn't want to hear 'Baby, You can Drive my Car' as performed by cartoon Chris Cornell?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    oooh

this Beat Bugs sounds intriguing!

Right now the only thing she'll tolerate watching is Wiggles. Which is fine! I actually enjoy the Wiggles. Emma Yellow Wiggle does some stuff in sign language (Australian, but the alphabet is the same as NZSL) and I've caught Ellie trying to mimic her signing the last few times we watched some of the videos.

As for books, I cannot recommend this Baby Signs book enough for babies about crawling age and up. WEv'e read and signed with the book for Ellie since she was born, but she really started picking up on things around about 6 or 7 months.

I don't know what we would have done these last few months without Sign. It's hard enough translating a Toddler's needs and wants with the Signs, I can't imagine without.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yep, the signing really helped Jaina too. She still will once in a while if she's frustrated (more being the big one).

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Ellie still won't say "cat" she'll either say "meow" or she'll sign 'cat'. Or both.

I'm even accidentally getting signed sentences out of her "more milk please" or "more Wiggles please" being the biggest ones.

Of course her favorite is "More Daddy" because he's the star of her world right now

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    oooh

this Beat Bugs sounds intriguing!

Right now the only thing she'll tolerate watching is Wiggles. Which is fine! I actually enjoy the Wiggles. Emma Yellow Wiggle does some stuff in sign language (Australian, but the alphabet is the same as NZSL) and I've caught Ellie trying to mimic her signing the last few times we watched some of the videos.

As for books, I cannot recommend this Baby Signs book enough for babies about crawling age and up. WEv'e read and signed with the book for Ellie since she was born, but she really started picking up on things around about 6 or 7 months.

I don't know what we would have done these last few months without Sign. It's hard enough translating a Toddler's needs and wants with the Signs, I can't imagine without.

My 3 and 6 year olds both enjoy Beat Bugs. The merch train just finally got rolling, but not much so far. What is readily available is actually good stuff, like board books with the buttons to press to play different songs. Or one with a detachable guitar that my daughter absolutely loves. A small number of figures for small children as well. The Beatles covers range from not bad to enjoyable, and I don't mind my kids knowing a crazy number of Beatles' lyrics at all.

Not a terribly educational show, but it is good for getting kids into music and is otherwise totally inoffensive fun.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    A buddy of mine's 11 year old had nightmares for weeks after playing like 5 minutes of Five Nights at Freddy's so yeah, definitely keep it far away from the 6 year old.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Doing baby sign with our little one was one of the best things we ever did. It lowered frustration levels when trying to decipher what she wanted but also seems to have helped with her communication skills.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Other people have a ridiculous number of nicknames for their kids, right?

Niko is Nikoriko, Neeks, Neeksneeks, Poogs, Poogie, Poogaroo, Chubs, Mr. Chubs, Chubbawubs, Mr. Cheeks...

Anya is Annaleah, Yaya, Aya, Anyayaya, Bananya, Squishy, Bunny, Squishybuns...

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I call my kid "bubba" because that's the only noise he would make for like a month.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Babyluv, kiddo, fellas, sweetluv, baby-blond-curls, Danielman, prince rotten, (family name) Brothers, Big Guy, Smart Guy, Tough Guy, beanpole, baby-big-belly, Mr. Pushy

I could probably go on

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    My kid hasn't pooped in days. Please poop.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Better get ready for poopocalypse that comes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Mallory loves:

TV: Peppa, Bubble Guppies, Wheel of Fortune (A-A! as she calls it), Word Party (a really awful kids show on Netflix...really, she just likes the opening song)
    Music: Let it Go (Frozen), How Far I'll Go (Moana), Wheels on the Bus, ABCs, other terrible kids songs
    Books: Peppa books, Padmini is Powerful, Baby's First ABCs
    Misc: Watching videos of herself, the little narcissist

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Yay! Always glad to see others enjoying books from Bharat Babies :)

We just pre-ordered Harini and Padmini Say 'Namaste'. Tried to pre-order their Indi-Alphabet book too but a technical glitch has been making that impossible for some reason. Going back and forth with them now to get it worked out.

Bubble Guppies is a solid music-oriented show. It actually works in a fair amount of educational material in various areas of music, so we tolerate our daughter listening to the songs over and over and over.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Word Party is the screams of the damned

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Watching Beat Bugs now with Kate and she's enjoying it. Good suggestion!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Our kiddo had her first fever last night. Temp just over 101. All she wanted to do was rest her head on my shoulder.

Could have been worse though. No throwing up or any other fluids ejecting from her system.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    As soon as my daughter hit 4 weeks a few days ago she refuses to be set down. If she's not being held, she's crying and it's driving her mother insane.

And of course I feel bad as well because there's no crying children at work for 8 hours a day (if you don't count clients). Luckily during the summer I work half day Fridays so tomorrow mommy will have a bit of respite in the afternoon.

On the brighter side, yesterday was the first time she legitimately grabbed one of her toys and waved it around. Parenting has turned out to be the strangest mix of having the most precious child ever and also a monster of terror in the same human being.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    SuperRuper wrote: »
    As soon as my daughter hit 4 weeks a few days ago she refuses to be set down. If she's not being held, she's crying and it's driving her mother insane.

And of course I feel bad as well because there's no crying children at work for 8 hours a day (if you don't count clients). Luckily during the summer I work half day Fridays so tomorrow mommy will have a bit of respite in the afternoon.

On the brighter side, yesterday was the first time she legitimately grabbed one of her toys and waved it around. Parenting has turned out to be the strangest mix of having the most precious child ever and also a monster of terror in the same human being.

She's grabbing toys at 4 weeks? I don't think my kid gave a crap about objects until 3 months. Unless that object was a boob.

Now when you want him to look at you all he cares about is objects.

My kid wants to be held a lot too. And he is 7 months old now. And he still shouts at me while I'm holding him, he will just about less if I set him down. Baby's are just turds sometimes.

Still he looks at me happier than anyone else ever ha. I try and tell him to calm down because people don't like me that much but he just doesn't listen! 8-)

So it has its ups and downs.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    For TV, we've had great success with: Sarah & Duck, Team Umi Zoomi, Sesame Street, Peg + Cat.

As far as getting kids into the kitchen goes, I've been able to get my almost three year old in there a few times. We tend to eat a lot of mushrooms, so I can sometimes get her to "help" me cut up mushrooms. She gets a cutting board and a butter knife, and can usually hack one or two into variable-sized pieces while I'm chopping the rest.

• Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    She also doesn't seem to enjoy lying on her back unless she in one of her "dead to the world" naps. She likes to be on my chest or in my arms. We can't really let her lie on her stomach yet because she also likes to bury her face into whatever she's up against.

I have perfected the art of holding a sleeping baby and an controller at the same time. Dungeon Defenders II with the wife, Injustice 2, or my 100th FFX playthrough have been good relaxation outlets.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I while ago I asked in the kids thread about strollers, etc., for an incoming baby. Then I forgot to post when the baby came, oops! Say hello to 4-week-old Evangeline!
    1RXQyO3l.jpg
    Her favorite sleeping position, arms out and up.

VgDeX5vl.jpg
    Monkey Pacifier!

g5Ik6Kcl.jpg
    Dinobaby!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    We called that sleeping position "The Cactus"

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    We had our first ER visit a couple weeks ago. Wren threw up all over herself around 10 pm Sunday and then threw up about 4 more times. We took her to the ER and she threw up about 7 more times before they got an IV going with anti-nauseu meds. She perked right up, then, but was pretty punchy since it was about 2 am at this point. We wound up having to stay overnight since they found some air around her esophagus on the x-ray and an elevated white blood count.
    But she wound up being fine. Although my wife and I both caught her bug that week, too. She was happy to have her last doctor's visit.
    m8zbbzcfi2sl.jpg

We let go of the mommy's helper we had for about 20 months. Wren was just too quick for her, both in running about the house and just wanting to learn and do stuff faster than the 70 year old grandma wanted to deal with. Plus, she's HELLA social and just needed to be around other kids. So she's been at daycare (just up the street from my work which makes sit easy) for about 3 months now and loves it.
    n7th0ri5c4ho.jpg

Their class is 18 months-now you leave for kindergarten. It's a mix of learning and play which is perfect for her. She can whip off all her classmates names now, her already large vocabulary is getting larger and, really important for us, she's eating or at least trying more foods. We had a lot of problems there. Still do. She's now disappointed when she doesn't go to daycare on Saturday and Sunday!
    rwdrukcb5aeq.jpg
    We're almost at 2 1/2 years and haven't potty trained yet, another reason we dropped our nanny. She just was too slack-ass there. But we're getting back on it and she'll poop in her diaper now but then say, "I pooped," and go over to the changing table so there's that.

And, in an unfortunate turn, we're pregnant again. We were still talking about if we even wanted another kid and well, we fucked up. Everyone's getting fixed after this, though! It's been some rough days with us working out our feelings about this (I'm staunchly anti-second child and my wife wants another just not so soon) but it's there now so you the job in front of you, right? And since we've already got a toddler, it's not like we can mope around too much. Either way, we had our sonogram this week and so Wren gets a little brother. She LOVES babies, hopefully she still loves them after she has one daily in her life!
    q49ka2w79bi9.jpg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dentist visit for all 3 kids done..

CAVITY FREE MOTHERFUCKERS

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    What about the three yard cats tho

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    You were mad your kid wasn't potty trained by 2 and a half?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    oh @kime i love her name! Oh how sweet and precious and oh I'm so very happy for you! congratulations! how's mamma doing?

I'l get the tv and things up into the OP later this afternoon.

@Ketar Thank you for pointing us towards Bharat books! Ellie loves Padmini is powerful. I haven't gotten any of the others yet. Out of curiosity (and this is likely to seem strange so please don't be offended), Are you aware of any similar type kids books that do anything with Tamil?

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    We're almost at 2 1/2 years and haven't potty trained yet, another reason we dropped our nanny. She just was too slack-ass there.
    uhhhhhhhhhhhh
    this is pretty normal, my son is almost 3 and he's still not quit there yet.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Niko's almost 2.5 years and he still has no interest in the potty, but we're trying to gently guide him to it.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    oh kime i love her name! Oh how sweet and precious and oh I'm so very happy for you! congratulations! how's mamma doing?

Yeah, we like the name too :D. Middle name is "Eiko" because if I get to name a human being, then by golly I'm making it a nerdy somehow :P

Her mom's doing a lot better now. The first couple weeks were very rough, but she's recovered a bunch now, so we're all pretty happy!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Mallory loves:

TV: Peppa, Bubble Guppies, Wheel of Fortune (A-A! as she calls it), Word Party (a really awful kids show on Netflix...really, she just likes the opening song)
    Music: Let it Go (Frozen), How Far I'll Go (Moana), Wheels on the Bus, ABCs, other terrible kids songs
    Books: Peppa books, Padmini is Powerful, Baby's First ABCs
    Misc: Watching videos of herself, the little narcissist

My two year-old does this as well. It's odd, but probably normal?

We're also hitting a pretty bad sleep regression now that she can get out of the bed and work the doors on her own. Takes like an hour to get her to stay down.

• Options
    Daniel took a long time to come around on potty training (5 until big-boys were the norm; and he still will have the very rare accident, although almost always due to laziness at this point), but he had a lot of developmental issues early on, and has been exponentially catching up to peers

Since James worships his brother, he's a little more on board at almost two and a half- he'll announce when he's pooping, strip off a wet diaper (sometimes without letting anyone know), and has shown interest in using the white bedpan we got Daniel to leave it next to the bathroom for emergencies

• Options
    potty training is one thing that I am DREADING.

I'm not sure why. But the thought fills me with no little anxiety.

This discussion has been closed.