As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Job Action trailer out now. So shiny!

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I'm excited about MCH but confused the lore implications of the turret seemingly being gone and only real autonomous helper being a literal android

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Enlong wrote: »
    So I noticed that in the SMN segment, using Aetherflow actions didn’t make any Bahamut faces appear in the gauge. I wonder if the whole Trance mechanic has been changed

Possibly. If nothing else I imagine we'll only do trance once before Bahamut.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    I'm excited about MCH but confused the lore implications of the turret seemingly being gone and only real autonomous helper being a literal android

Turrets may not be gone? I don't recall them saying that, and the video didnt go through everything for classes.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/3b7b7757acc2f27197905bc257d8f32b909e02b2

scrip and tomestone changes

kinda surprised that yellow scrips are staying and red are going away, I was under the impression that red scrips were basically the equivalent of poetics

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/3b7b7757acc2f27197905bc257d8f32b909e02b2

scrip and tomestone changes

kinda surprised that yellow scrips are staying and red are going away, I was under the impression that red scrips were basically the equivalent of poetics

Nah, this seems like the direction they were going. First blue, blue made into the lesser as red got introduced, red made into the lesser as yellow got introduced, blue functionally deleted, now the same thing for red

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Hyur

Huh. It lists RDM Impact as a removed spell but I saw its animation during the skill trailer. I guess that spell effect is something else now.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Hyur
    With any luck they just made impact a new rank of jolt instead of a different spell because it was annoying to have to find another key for what is essentially the same spell.

Roegadyn
    Or maybe it'll replace scatter now? It always looked like an AOE move anyway.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    I wouldn't be surprised. SMN was one of the classes they mentioned got a major rework.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    I agree with both of those things.

Dragoon ability removal is exactly what I hoped it would be. Managing Heavy Thrust felt really outdated after the introduction of Blood of the Dragon and having two combo starters that were essentially the same struck me as odd after leveling Samurai before playing DRG.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Impact seems to have changed a good deal. Someone took screen captures of the tooltips shown.

Impact now is in fact an AOE spell. It deals 220 to all enemies in range of the attack, and it has a cast time of nearly 5 seconds. In other words, this is gonna be what you cast with Dualcast after using Scatter. The requirement to have Impactful is just gone now. Alternatively, Scatter may be gone as well; Veraero and Verthunder now are skills with a normal cast time that deal damage in an area.

Jolt II is still around, and does more damage than Veraro and Verthunder. Maybe they're getting rid of the proc requirements to do stuff like Verstone and Verfire. That or they're giving us Verblizzard and Veraqua? Hard to tell.

Also, there's a new move that does damage without backflipping, that shares a recharge timer with Displacement.

The tooltip grabs show us some neat info about Gunbreaker moves. First off, the move names seem to grab a number of names from both Squall (Rough Divide, Continuation (which I think is a translation of Renzokuken)) and Seifer (Demon Slice, Bloodfest), of FFVIII. There's also No Mercy, which I think was only used by Amarant in FFIX. And their inulvnerability action actively reduces their HP to 1 upon use, which is odd.

What's funny is that Bloodfest is the same name as Chimatsuri, at least when both are translated to English.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I remember seeing Blasting Zone during the demo too.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    Lalafell
    Yeah. They’re definitely going all in on the VIII theme.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    So for BLM convert doesn't use HP anymore, they get a super foul at 80 (750 potency single target), an instant cast way to get an umbral heart (I'm assuming this is for situations when you don't have time to blizzard 4 in ice phase), and Despair, a single target flare with 380 potency.

Also sharpcast is now 30s cooldown, fire/ice spells are free in ice phase, ice spells are free in fire phase, and enochain timer is 15s. So looks like it will basically be the same rotation, only ending each fire phase with Despair into Blizzard 3, and a bit more leeway for movement with the 15s timer and extra sharpcasts.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    edited May 2019
    Hyur
    The free umbral heart is to maintain Enochian and umbral ice between pulls, during big animations, etc. since it also adds umbral ice stacks. So you're always ready to unload a full Fire cycle after. Much better than the current transpose spam option.

Polaritie on
  • BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    All the tank changes look great, might actually make me play one this expansion.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
    Lalafell
    On the subject of maintaining your stuff after a boss goes invincible, Monk now has a way to just charge Greased Lightning without a target to punch.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Larlar
    BLM poll, pick the correct answer

1. en-ohk-i-an
    2. en-o-chi-an
    3. en-o-chain

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Miqo'te
    ph blake wrote: »
    Dancer tooltips (so far) and speculation in one place

Looks like you pick a partner and get your dance on, then go through your combos and fish for procs (and then your proc'd skills can also give procs lol), with at least a guaranteed mini burst every 60 second from Flourish.

Might as well post this in this thread too.

Also of note is that the dance finisher moves do damage, presumably to make up for the lost gcds. Some people in the balance discord mathed it out based on the numbers shown on stream, looks like the 2 step ender is around 1000 potency and the 4 step ender is around 1500 potency.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Larlar
    Enlong wrote: »
    On the subject of maintaining your stuff after a boss goes invincible, Monk now has a way to just charge Greased Lightning without a target to punch.

I always felt like the DBZ charging move that gives you the forbidden chakra punch should add time to your greased lightning too, since it's a filler for when you can't be punching already

BahamutZERO.gif
    Lalafell

1. en-ohk-i-an
    2. en-o-chi-an
    3. en-o-chain

I think it’s 1. At least, I’ve only ever heard the word “Enochian” pronounced in the Netflix Castlevania show, and IIRC that’s how they said it there.

Miqo'te
    I think it's 1, but I pronounce it as 3 anyways

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    Roegadyn

1. en-ohk-i-an
    2. en-o-chi-an
    3. en-o-chain

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I do 1. I think.

now I'm sitting here saying it out loud.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Roegadyn
    “Eno-chan” would be the best one because it’s most likely to annoy the listener.

Same as “pug-a-list” and “astro-loogian”

steam_sig.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Hyur
    “Eno-chan” would be the best one because it’s most likely to annoy the listener.

Same as “pug-a-list” and “astro-loogian”

And "mechanist"

Larlar
    astronomer
    astrophysicist

BahamutZERO.gif
    Lalafell
    Tombstones.

Roegadyn
    Was pointed out to me on twitter, Hrothgar do not have hair style choices. Each face has a set hair style and that's it.

What a mess.

X22wmuF.jpg
    edited May 2019
    Larlar
    I'm probably the only one who's interested in this but *I* think it's interesting, damn it: the viera model doesn't have any skeletal differences from the other races in terms of how it's rigged when it's wearing the racial starter high heel shoes, they just have super long legs so it kind of obfuscates that their shins get shorter when they're wearing them, same as every other heeled shoe in the game. I thought for sure it would look weirder than that, and that that was why so many of the heeled shoe models in the game up to this point had looked sort of awkward. I guess maybe those just look awkward because they were modeled awkwardly instead.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Hyur
    I'm probably the only one who's interested in this but *I* think it's interesting, damn it: the viera model doesn't have any skeletal differences from the other races in terms of how it's rigged when it's wearing the racial starter high heel shoes, they just have super long legs so it kind of obfuscates that their shins get shorter when they're wearing them, same as every other heeled shoe in the game. I thought for sure it would look weirder than that, and that that was why so many of the heeled shoe models in the game up to this point had looked sort of awkward. I guess maybe those just look awkward because they were modeled awkwardly instead.

Some level of heel is the default for all womens shoes in game, and you aren't allowed to go barefoot.

Larlar
    some shoes are flatter than the "no shoes" sandals, some are less. All of them just add or remove height from the feet and shins. The skeletal rig is never modified either way, the point the model deforms around doesn't change.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Hyur
    some shoes are flatter than the "no shoes" sandals, some are less. All of them just add or remove height from the feet and shins. The skeletal rig is never modified either way, the point the model deforms around doesn't change.

Yeah, the Moonfire sandals look quite awkward as a result.

edited May 2019
    Larlar
    turtleant wrote: »
    Was pointed out to me on twitter, Hrothgar do not have hair style choices. Each face has a set hair style and that's it.

What a mess.

oh jeeze I just noticed this, this is pretty disappointing.

edit: I have to say though, they and the viera still both look fucking cool in motion

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Hyur
    Oh yeah, Viera look great. My hangup is entirely based on a handful of hats I like. That will 100% not be available for them (fox and wolf ears, in particular). SMN horns I assume won't be an issue.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Elezen
    Viera and Hrothgar are a total fuckfest and honestly, their excuses that it's hard to rig all of the gear in the game to new races rings hollow to me because they also didn't need to add new races

Like at some point not doing it seems like a better option than completely half-assing it because it would have taken too much time to do it right

I appreciate that it is a lot of work, but they could have held off until it was actually ready

Lalafell
    HORNLESS! HORNLESS! HORNLESS!

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Hyur
    I finally reached a goal: I got a crafter to level 50! CRP now has a massively impractical saw on his back and is now messing with the Moogles. Next up: BTN and MIN to 50.

This discussion has been closed.