As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] New Expansion Announced: Battle for Azeroth.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I used to switch to Havoc to do non-elite WQs, but ever since Spirit Bomb became a thing there's just no point. As Vengeance you do the same damage and don't ever die.

Except I don't do the same dps in vengeance? In Havoc, my burst DPS is over 3 million (not sure the actual value, but it's much higher than veng), and elites/rares are a complete non-issue if there's a single other person. It's ~20 seconds to kill a rare with 1 other person doing minimal DPS, otherwise it's a couple minutes in vengeance.
    Not a big deal in the grand scheme, but it feels a lot faster to do most stuff in havoc. I've at least figured out which elites/rares I need to swap for, so it's sped up quite a bit.

crimsoncoyote on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you do the same dps between havoc and vengeance, all that means is your havoc could use some work.

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Question for you all: let's say Blizzard decided to do away with ilevel and esports and world firsts and whatnot, in whatever way they were able to make that happen in this hypothetical situation. Would you still play? Would you still enjoy playing a game that had, for all intents and purposes, zero competition within it and the only experience you got was that of yourself and your friends/guildmates/whatever, or is it the competition that drives you in this game?

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Question for you all: let's say Blizzard decided to do away with ilevel and esports and world firsts and whatnot, in whatever way they were able to make that happen in this hypothetical situation. Would you still play? Would you still enjoy playing a game that had, for all intents and purposes, zero competition within it and the only experience you got was that of yourself and your friends/guildmates/whatever, or is it the competition that drives you in this game?

That kind of depends. Mythic mode was really made to facilitate things like the world first race and so they could market raids as an e-sports type of activity; would the removal of those also lead to the removal of mythic mode?

I play the game to the point where I find it challenging; but if I could clear all content without really being challenged, I'd probably stop playing.

crimsoncoyote
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Popped open my 3rd army of the light paragon cache and a few other caches and got a handful of curious coins and follower items that are no longer relevant.

I can't even bring myself to even pretend to get excited over these useless cache's anymore 100 Opened and i'm at one of the special drops total.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Zunde wrote: »
    Popped open my 3rd army of the light paragon cache and a few other caches and got a handful of curious coins and follower items that are no longer relevant.

I can't even bring myself to even pretend to get excited over these useless cache's anymore 100 Opened and i'm at one of the special drops total.

I'm at zero, unless the fox mount from nightfallen counts. That's the only thing I've ever gotten from one. Though I think you can get that from Withered training too?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, the challenge modes would definitely still be there, just the leaderboards, anything directly built into the game to facilitate competition would be removed. But again, this is purely hypothetical since I doubt Blizzard would even be able to do that. I just ask because so much of what I see people disagree about when talking about the game (PvE vs. PvP, balancing, raids re: world firsts, class/spec viability, etc) all seems to revolve around competitiveness and I just wondered if that were to magically vanish, would people still be compelled to play the game? Does the game still draw you to it by virtue of the content itself or is it the player's performance with regards to others that keeps people logging in?

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

Competition used to drive me when I was young. That is why I did a ton more PVP and in PVE I wanted to be better than the other dudes I saw in Org. But now, the combination of being older and not having the time and the fact that there is really no personal competition so it almost all resides in instanced PVP and Mythic raids makes it mean nothing to me. So I would have zero issue with that.

Pretty much most of wow has become a group based single player RPG experience anyway. You do dungeons and raids with other people but in the end all you are doing is trying to complete a challenge.

Gear progression to me is just a side job I need to do to be able to play the game. If it was gone I would care less. It barely feels there anyway as all the catch up mechanics make it so if you just do all the stuff you need to do anyway you are usually geared enough to do what content you are doing. As long as you have a guild to do it with and can go in at the intended ilvl and not the inflated one the community needs.

H3Knuckles
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Appropiate means over average and you can get over 920 in a week after cap from Augunite.

This sounds harsh but fuck it: If you can't even do the effort to get to that baseline level, why people should take you to anything remotely challenging? (protip: Previous tiers aren't chalenging). You aren't willing to put the effort so you are wasting everybody's time.

I mean that is the case now but it wasn't for 11 weeks before 7.3. We are in the middle ground where the catchup mechanics are meant for the last raid so they get you way above the current raid content easily.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    soylenth wrote: »
    As far as story goes:
    So, I feel like the LFR has been setting up the story for the next xpac as legion ends? I don't read about this in the industry rags, so forgive my ignorance. So it seems like Sargaras went evil to fight a bigger bad in the form of the void and whatever gods rule there? So this last raid chain will be kind of finishing off the legion and setting us up to challenge the void?

I've always liked the void stuff, so that's cool. But it feels like some weird meta-commentary on wow. "No more dissociating with MMO's, time to face ... the void!"
    Blizzard has been releasing large lore books that try tidying up the lore and setting us up for a post-Legion setting. In this, the Old Gods answer to the Void Lords, kind of a shadow counterpart to the Naaru and the game's new Big Villains. They apparently live outside the known universe and thus are limited to manipulating things from afar. Some planets are really just incubators for titans, and Azeroth happens to be housing the Last Titan. The aim of the Void Lords is to corrupt the titan, whereas Sargeras has the goal of basically wiping out all life so there is nothing left to corrupt. In his eyes, death is a better fate than living in the Void Lord's universe, and he also sees them as unstoppable.

As ravenous murderhobos, we'd much rather try to stop the Void Lords and see what tasty purples are contained within, so our goal right now is to stop the Legion before turning our attention to the Void Lords. So the Antorus raid ends with
    Sargeras taking a last-ditch effort to kill Azeroth (the Titan) before he's imprisoned in some magic prison with Illidan forever. This leaves a giant stab wound in Silithus, wiping out a good portion of the zone. The ramifications of this are unknown, but I get the feeling our next expansion will be a breather one similar to Mists before jumping right into the next villain.

YL9WnCY.png
    Smrtniksoylenth
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I sure hope it's another (comparatively) calm expansion focusing on adventure rather than ONLY YOU CAN SAVE PRESIDENT RONNIE AZEROTH

3cl1ps3 on
    edited September 2017
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I mean that is the case now but it wasn't for 11 weeks before 7.3. We are in the middle ground where the catchup mechanics are meant for the last raid so they get you way above the current raid content easily.

True. On the other hand, anybody getting a char now is mainly for Antorus, unless you do the effort of looking a guild that has a position available to finish up progress. Speaking of, hopefully this week guild will get the roster up to be able to finish up H KJ, at least we can start up on Maiden now so the week is mostly from there (pugging H Fallen Avatar is miserable).

TryCatcher on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I sure hope it's another (comparatively) calm expansion focusing on adventure rather than ONLY YOU CAN SAVE PRESIDENT RONNIE AZEROTH

That would be swell. I could use a vacation on my farm.

Mists was delightful. At least in the context of leveling.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    3cl1ps3
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »

True. On the other hand, anybody getting a char now is mainly for Antorus, unless you do the effort of looking a guild that has a position available to finish up progress. Speaking of, hopefully this week guild will get the roster up to be able to finish up H KJ, at least we can start up on Maiden now so the week is mostly from there (pugging H Fallen Avatar is miserable).

I got lucky and got into one of those guilds. They let me test things out / tryout cross server and they progressed through their last 3 bosses when i was doing so. I had just transferred and joined the guild the night before we downed h kj.

Looking forward to going through all of antorus with a static group. I did all of en with a guild but that didn't feel like it counted.

H3Knuckles
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    For me personally, WoW was never about that. WoW was about being able to explore Khaz Modan, about climbing Blackrock Mountain, checking out Nethergarde Keep, and then getting a view of the Dark Portal from the ground level. It was about being able to walk in the world of the series that literally got me into PC gaming with WarCraft 2 (and, to some extent, made me into someone for whom games are central to my identity). In that respect, the game has far surpassed my expectations, and has only gotten better with every year. Not only would I not miss ilvls, but I think I might actually have a better experience.

(Although I have to recognize that some of the content I enjoy is only made possible because of the people who do care about world-firsts and ilvls and stuff, so it's a balancing act.)

H3KnucklesBullheadKendrik
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017

For me, the main reason I do M+ is competing against others for clear times. And M+ itself is the only reason I'm still playing this game. For all of Legion's successes, M+ is by far the biggest one, without it, I'd have unsubbed months and months ago.

So no, I guess I probably wouldn't play.

Dhalphir on
    garslzrlg7yl.jpg
    Got another of those pretty mounts so that's cool.

SmrtnikNobodyDhalphir3cl1ps3Halfmexcrimsoncoyote
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I mean at some point you're talking about a totally different game that just happens to take place in this universe; gear progression for example is pretty important to many people

like if you get rid of gear, and 'competition' (seemingly here defined broadly), what's actually left?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited September 2017
    Yet another grueling night at Heroic Fallen Avatar (this would be our first rekill). Managed to kill him, though got to bench a couple of players. Such is life.

Tomorrow KJ all day, to see if we can finally get that out of the way.

TryCatcher on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Yet another grueling night at Heroic Fallen Avatar (this would be our first rekill). Managed to kill him, though got to bench a couple of players. Such is life.

KJ is (was?) harder, don't know post patch. Our first rekill on either was hard, while subsequent ones have been one shots on Avatar while we still have a wipe out two on KJ every time.

steam_sig.png
    BahamutZERO
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

KJ is (was?) harder, don't know post patch. Our first rekill on either was hard, while subsequent ones have been one shots on Avatar while we still have a wipe out two on KJ every time.

Avatar is a harder fight to learn, I think, but once you have it, you have it. It's really about making sure people respect Unbound Chaos and the p2 tornadoes.

However KJ is a fight with one of the hardest mechanics to deal with in a farm run ever - Armageddon. Random soaking mechanics are death to a farm run, because as soon as people feel like the boss is on farm, they naturally start shifting two ways to optimise there DPS, which starts leading them to think maybe they don't need to run 20 yards to get an Armageddon and somebody else should do it. Maybe they don't need to pre position themselves in good spots for the Armageddon. It's hard enough to get people to focus on Armageddon during progress, doing it on a farm run is even more difficult. We nearly always need one or two wipes before people gently get reminded that maybe they don't want to be here all night and should focus on Armageddon properly.

Also I remain convinced that every raid group has maybe a half dozen people tops who actually understand demonic obelisk as a mechanic. The rest just muddle through and somehow end up standing in lucky enough locations to not be knocked off

3cl1ps3crimsoncoyoteBahamutZERO
    I mean at some point you're talking about a totally different game that just happens to take place in this universe; gear progression for example is pretty important to many people

like if you get rid of gear, and 'competition' (seemingly here defined broadly), what's actually left?

Oh it would absolutely be a different game than it is today, no doubt about it. That's more or less what I was getting at with regards to the question of a (admittedly vaguely defined idea of) competition-free WoW. Like, would the concept of WoW's content boiled down to just its core features be interesting to its current playerbase or is it chiefly the idea of competition that drives people logging in? In the earlier days of the game most players didn't really seem to care about clear times and world firsts. Some did, sure, but the game certainly wasn't balanced or designed around them. Now we have whole feature sets that cater to the concept of playing the game and stacking our performance against others and while I don't personally have that mindset, it seems to be a huge part of what keeps people playing today and I think that's interesting for a genre that was, at least originally, more aimed at making an immersive experience designed for players and their guildmates fairly exclusively.

I think competition is a core feature of WoW, so trying to remove it and keep the other core features seems like a weird distinction to be made.

Having the best gear has always been the primary driving factor behind WoW's gameplay.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    we don't really have those features though; the tools enabling competition and so on are really pretty laughably primitive (as blizzard has implemented them)

there is really no ingame support at all aside from a handful of achievements, and the out-of-game leaderboards (for m+) are really rudimentary compared to what's available on third party sites

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    There is certainly an element of the playerbase who are maintained by the competitive aspects, like pvp and m+, but most people playing WoW still play to acquire the best gear they can to become stronger (bigger numbers make brains happy yaaaaaaaay) and trivialize content that was initially difficult. That's not competitive, they're not trying to get it so others can't or anything similar.

The majority of MMO players are still in it for the skinner box aspects, and to a degree the social aspect, which is no longer a particularly unique aspect what with practically everything being online/multiplayer in some form these days, and WoW doing a pisspoor job of encouraging community.

It's such a small percentage of the playerbase that focus on competitive PvP, M+ leaderboards and world first kills most players would merely lose the voyeur aspect of those things.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

KJ's pretty tough, although we got him in about the same number of pulls as we got Fallen Avatar. If you can get everyone in your raid to use a Vantus Rune it helps a lot, 3% increased damage/healing and 1.5% less damage taken definitely makes a difference.

crimsoncoyote
    3clipse wrote: »

KJ's pretty tough, although we got him in about the same number of pulls as we got Fallen Avatar. If you can get everyone in your raid to use a Vantus Rune it helps a lot, 3% increased damage/healing and 1.5% less damage taken definitely makes a difference.

Oh yeah, definitely using runes. Last time we got to him, we managed to down him to 62% or so in a few tries after the Avatar kill, so we assume that with a full raid night we can kill him.

edited September 2017
    Good luck! Phase 2 is the hardest part of the fight, getting through that cleanly will probably take you the most number of attempts, but don't get discouraged!

edit: Also if you haven't been lusting in Phase 2, definitely do. There's a particularly nasty combo of Singularity/Armageddon/Wailing Reflection that can happen around 43-45% (assuming 900k/1mil as the average of your DPSers) that you really really really really want to skip.

3cl1ps3 on
    crimsoncoyote
    garslzrlg7yl.jpg

I've only ever seen one of those cats up and both times he did not drop an egg :/ TBH, I think pretty much all of the new Argus mounts look like ass though, so I'm not super worked up over it...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I'm up to two mana rays now (and one pet, I have 3 eggs I'm waiting on hatching too). I want to like them but there's this wonky thing they do where they can fly nonstop forward while oriented as though they were climbing if you move immediately from "up" to "forward". They reorient when you stop, but it's still bizarre.

There's another mount that'd do that too but I can't remember which one.

Nobody wrote: »
    I'm up to two mana rays now (and one pet, I have 3 eggs I'm waiting on hatching too). I want to like them but there's this wonky thing they do where they can fly nonstop forward while oriented as though they were climbing if you move immediately from "up" to "forward". They reorient when you stop, but it's still bizarre.

Any of the long serpent mounts like the Cloud Serpents or Mind Wyrm

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    garslzrlg7yl.jpg

All I get is yoke /grumble hehe.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've got all the mana ray mounts, and the vile fiend mount from Blistermaw, but I really want the other color variants of the vile fiend. Been farming them on 5 characters, still no luck! Curses!

H9f4bVe.png
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Zunde wrote: »

I'm at zero, unless the fox mount from nightfallen counts. That's the only thing I've ever gotten from one. Though I think you can get that from Withered training too?

I got my fox from withered training. Looks so cute with smaller races. I've barely scratched the surface of legion mount hunting though, although I just finally got arcanist's nightsaber, and that may be good for a while. How many awesome mounts do I need?

soylenth on
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Man, I'm already sick of Argus. At this point, I'm not even sure how they are gonna keep us excited for the new raid + dead time until the next expac. I'm sure I'm just a little over it all after being in since the beginning, but I'm not sure how they expect to retain subs.

Warlock82
    soylenth wrote: »
    As far as story goes:
    So, I feel like the LFR has been setting up the story for the next xpac as legion ends? I don't read about this in the industry rags, so forgive my ignorance. So it seems like Sargaras went evil to fight a bigger bad in the form of the void and whatever gods rule there? So this last raid chain will be kind of finishing off the legion and setting us up to challenge the void?

I've always liked the void stuff, so that's cool. But it feels like some weird meta-commentary on wow. "No more dissociating with MMO's, time to face ... the void!"
    Blizzard has been releasing large lore books that try tidying up the lore and setting us up for a post-Legion setting. In this, the Old Gods answer to the Void Lords, kind of a shadow counterpart to the Naaru and the game's new Big Villains. They apparently live outside the known universe and thus are limited to manipulating things from afar. Some planets are really just incubators for titans, and Azeroth happens to be housing the Last Titan. The aim of the Void Lords is to corrupt the titan, whereas Sargeras has the goal of basically wiping out all life so there is nothing left to corrupt. In his eyes, death is a better fate than living in the Void Lord's universe, and he also sees them as unstoppable.

As ravenous murderhobos, we'd much rather try to stop the Void Lords and see what tasty purples are contained within, so our goal right now is to stop the Legion before turning our attention to the Void Lords. So the Antorus raid ends with
    Sargeras taking a last-ditch effort to kill Azeroth (the Titan) before he's imprisoned in some magic prison with Illidan forever. This leaves a giant stab wound in Silithus, wiping out a good portion of the zone. The ramifications of this are unknown, but I get the feeling our next expansion will be a breather one similar to Mists before jumping right into the next villain.

This is interesting! Thanks so much for taking the time! I might look into some of these lore books. The void stuff is the first wow lore that's really interested me in ages.

Yeah, I'm playing through the story in argus but otherwise leveling alts or sticking to stuff where I can fly. Interested to see the raid, but I don't want to go there every day.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »

Any of the long serpent mounts like the Cloud Serpents or Mind Wyrm

Weird, definitely not happening with the one wind serpent I'm using on my other spec (the 300 mount one).

Man, I'm already sick of Argus. At this point, I'm not even sure how they are gonna keep us excited for the new raid + dead time until the next expac. I'm sure I'm just a little over it all after being in since the beginning, but I'm not sure how they expect to retain subs.

I kinda feel the same. It's just such a pain in the ass to get around and once the story is done it feels like there's literally no reason to actually be there outside maybe doing a world quest or two.

This discussion has been closed.