As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Me, An Intellectual [chat]

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    http://kuow.org/post/seattle-teen-calls-out-her-dad-s-native-american-art-he-learns-she-s-right

High school girl learns history. Realizes what the "art" piece is that is hanging in her dining room. Fights with her dad enough for him to learn what it is properly and in the end he gives it back to the tribe.

*nods* well done.

Its pretty amazing the guy bought an historical actual piece. Sounds like neither he or the person who sold it to him had any idea how old it was.

I can just see the grimaced look on his face when they confirmed it had tremendous monetary value. In my fiction as he is standing there in the ceremony handing it to the museum someone says

"It could have easily paid for all of your daughters college tuition and more. Thank you!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I personally loved 2nd act spoilers for RDR

The whole mexico portion, it really threw morality out the window and muddled the ethics of marston entirely. Other people weren't a fan, but me its some of the more interesting aspects of his character and the story in general.

And honestly the zombie expansion was more fleshed out than you'd expect and super fun.

I never had a problem with it really either. Considering the history of Marston and his Wife.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    AND NOW I KNOOOOOW

THE ONLY COMPASS THAT I NEED

IS THE ONE

THAT LEADS BACK TO YOU

that's a pretty shitty compass tbh

I mean if it only pointed to you I'd use it to throw stuff at you

But it's a good song and you're a turd burger

I would expect nothing less, and I don't even know the song, but the compass on the other hand is bad

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Youtube won't allow links to crowdfunding, merchandising, and your associated website in videos unless you have enabled monetization now. I can't see that going well.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I still think mp3 is my favorite Rockstar story if only because it kind of attacked the character of max from the first games while still respecting it. Its weird to describe, but at the end of the game I felt exactly like the main character did.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Youtube won't allow links to crowdfunding, merchandising, and your associated website in videos unless you have enabled monetization now. I can't see that going well.

Simultaneously they axed subscription pay services with no warning

which were great for creators

What the fuck are they doing

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

You mean you can't say "hey go to my Patreon" unless you have ads enabled?

That's incredibly shitty.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

what the fucccccccccccck

• Options
    Youtube's streaming has also been pretty shit as of late. Like random buffering absent any issue from the creators end.

They were already a shittier twitch with game streaming (for quality) , but they are getting worse by the day

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaXtAu42KRI

@Havelock2.0 and anyone else who has an appreciation for the finer things in life like not shouting about bro's and boxes.

First 8 minutes of gameplay. Out tomorrow. Looks incredible.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Hmm. I really like that Evelynn rework look on LoL. Design wise that is. Though it looks like she doesn't have the Tina Techno dance anymore. Shame.

And once again the mechanics of their updates completely turn me off. Every time I see a new character or update for LoL it just looks like the idea of simply played characters are dead. Everything has to be an oddly shaped skill shot that has 3 different functions depending on actions around it.

I mean, I get it. LoL has been around a long time. And the game is now tailored to long time players. But god damn does everything have to so fiddly. This reminds me a lot of Fighting Games. How eventually so many things get added in to increase challenge to mechanical gameplay that it becomes more and more impenetrable.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    v
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaXtAu42KRI

"Havelock2.0" and anyone else who has an appreciation for the finer things in life like not shouting about bro's and boxes.

First 8 minutes of gameplay. Out tomorrow. Looks incredible.

OMG I need this in my life.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I still think mp3 is my favorite Rockstar story if only because it kind of attacked the character of max from the first games while still respecting it. Its weird to describe, but at the end of the game I felt exactly like the main character did.

In all three games, Max can't save anyone no matter how hard he tries. That's unique and Max may be the only character in all video gaming to have such rotten noir luck.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Youtube's streaming has also been pretty shit as of late. Like random buffering absent any issue from the creators end.

They were already a shittier twitch with game streaming (for quality) , but they are getting worse by the day

UI changes, ad changes, all these changes...

It all makes me think they're moving to a commercial distribution platform (youtube red) instead of shit being for people to upload cute videos or lets plays.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Hmm. I really like that Evelynn rework look on LoL. Design wise that is. Though it looks like she doesn't have the Tina Techno dance anymore. Shame.

And once again the mechanics of their updates completely turn me off. Every time I see a new character or update for LoL it just looks like the idea of simply played characters are dead. Everything has to be an oddly shaped skill shot that has 3 different functions depending on actions around it.

I mean, I get it. LoL has been around a long time. And the game is now tailored to long time players. But god damn does everything have to so fiddly. This reminds me a lot of Fighting Games. How eventually so many things get added in to increase challenge to mechanical gameplay that it becomes more and more impenetrable.

It's awesome

I hate those games but the new design is awesome

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh shit cuphead is out tomorrow? ahhhh how much is it?

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    oh god I made these burgers way too large

or, well, I made them like this on purpose, because I have not been eating enough while sick but

this third burger is not fun

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    damned tasty if I may say so myself but oh god

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Oh shit cuphead is out tomorrow? ahhhh how much is it?

It says 20 bucks.

• Options
    http://kuow.org/post/seattle-teen-calls-out-her-dad-s-native-american-art-he-learns-she-s-right

High school girl learns history. Realizes what the "art" piece is that is hanging in her dining room. Fights with her dad enough for him to learn what it is properly and in the end he gives it back to the tribe.

*nods* well done.

This is sweet all through
    Jacobsen says he was a bit disappointed to learn that his daughter was right about his beloved Chilkat robe. But he and his wife Gretchen now no longer thought of the robe as theirs. Bruce Jacobsen asked the curators at the Burke Museum for suggestions of institutions that would do the Chilkat robe justice. They told him about the Sealaska Heritage Institute in Juneau.

When Jacobsen emailed, SHI Executive Director Rosita Worl couldn't believe the offer. "I was stunned. I was shocked. I was in awe. And I was so grateful to the Jacobsen family.”

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    the youtube stuff is interesting to me cause like

previously if you wanted to make some kind of video media you'd need to clear some rather high barriers with distribution companies
    but, when you did like, everything was agreed to, you have contracts, you have rules

nowadays you can distrubute nearly anything you make to anyone with internet access for free, but there are no rules and it's subject to the whims of whoever's in charge of your platform

and you can't really just go self-distribute, I mean you can but the distribution channel remains just as important now as it did then

big money always wins, and now they're winning even harder

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    So they've been filming and interviewing people at the bar the past couple of weeks
    One of those HGTV/TLC/Whatever shows is interested in using the bar for one of those rennovation shows
    I hope they do it, we need it bad.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/technology/twitter-russia-election.html

This is why that Boston Antifa account got shut down so quickly and people can still be racists pretty much all they want on twitter.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »

previously if you wanted to make some kind of video media you'd need to clear some rather high barriers with distribution companies
    but, when you did like, everything was agreed to, you have contracts, you have rules

nowadays you can distrubute nearly anything you make to anyone with internet access for free, but there are no rules and it's subject to the whims of whoever's in charge of your platform

and you can't really just go self-distribute, I mean you can but the distribution channel remains just as important now as it did then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3snVCRo_bI

• Options

I really enjoyed mp3 but I never finished it. Also I was in a real weird hazy place in life at the time so I can't tell if I was relating to it on a superficial level and if I'd feel the same way on a revisit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

"Why they aren't your friends"

Why did anyone think they ever were? They're a business, not a charity

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

*nods* well done.

Its pretty amazing the guy bought an historical actual piece. Sounds like neither he or the person who sold it to him had any idea how old it was.

I can just see the grimaced look on his face when they confirmed it had tremendous monetary value. In my fiction as he is standing there in the ceremony handing it to the museum someone says

"It could have easily paid for all of your daughters college tuition and more. Thank you!"

when he relented in the face of his daughter's continued... gentle encouragement, he emailed another museum, who confirmed it as a true artifact of great value

and then he contacted the museum he gave it to

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

People absolutely think corporations have their best interests at heart. I mean, look at Dan Ryckert, the taco bell wedding man.

• Options
    the comments section of the video of them returning it is also just sweet

XFo0J54.png

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

In all three games, Max can't save anyone no matter how hard he tries. That's unique and Max may be the only character in all video gaming to have such rotten noir luck.

Well the real issue is max struggles to save himself. Through 3 games he throws himself head long into death hoping to basically end up dead. Spoilers for the end of MP3.

It's why I like the sitting on the beach ending to mp3, he's basically relaxing having finally come to terms with who he is and what he is. He's not healed, but he doesn't hate himself as much.

https://youtu.be/wh55uM9UVxQ

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I don't know why that's funny to you all

You can criticize malfunctioning capitalism without hitching yourselves to that legacy

Well, if you're interested in a serious discussion of this it seems obvious that the implementation of the Communism was very poorly executed and resulted in something closer to a fascist state.

Which means one could argue in favor of the politics while recognizing the history, similar to how someone could recognize the trend towards monopolies and inequality that inadequately regulated capitalism leads to that we are experiencing now.

I just feel like

By an accident of fate it took in Russia / China and not Germany, right? IIRC Marx thought it would spring from Capitalism.

And we've decided it's too far to meme about Nazism. Why? Because enough Jews survived to tell? Memes are okay about Communism because they were so effective in their killing that we can't as accurately quantify it as we can Nazism, and because those people didn't emigrate here to escape in the numbers the Jews did? Because there is no Elie Wiesel or Anne Frank of Communist purges assigned as school reading to American kids?

But i see communism memes and my skin crawls because it's like a hairsbreadth away from a bunch of Rare Pepes, and I cannot figure out the dissonance between people hating Nazi meme culture but embracing Communist meme culture.

bit late but it seems obvious

one advocates, in it's theory, the genocide or at the very least forced deportation of various minorities and groups and has a fundamentally racist outlook on humanity. Hitler was a bad man.

the other doesn't. Marx and Engels weren't bad men.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Geth, recycle the thread on page 100.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Elki. Thread will be recycled after 100 pages.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Well the real issue is max struggles to save himself. Through 3 games he throws himself head long into death hoping to basically end up dead. Spoilers for the end of MP3.

It's why I like the sitting on the beach ending to mp3, he's basically relaxing having finally come to terms with who he is and what he is. He's not healed, but he doesn't hate himself as much.

Great game

The voice actor for Max killed it

They paid for this dumb gringo to show up

HAVEN'T YOU FIGURED I DON'T SPEAK YOUR FUCKING LANGUAGE

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Because certain people think businesses are the end all be all of what's good for us. Or believe the hype put out by "moral" companies.

Trust the big company, they will do the right thing etc.

Now a lot of us know that this isn't true. But there are a lot of folks who still think that many businesses aren't trying to actively fuck them as hard as possible.

• Options
    *Disarms Lifeboat*

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

This is untrue. Max can save someone, which bucks the noir theme a bit.
    Beat MP2 on the hardest difficulty and Mona survives

• Options
    Hey chat, if you google the word "snake" you can play snake now

• Options

Great game

The voice actor for Max killed it

They paid for this dumb gringo to show up

HAVEN'T YOU FIGURED I DON'T SPEAK YOUR FUCKING LANGUAGE

Yeah I was super glad they got the voice from the first two games. It would have been easy to switch him to keifer sutherland... But they didn't and I appreciate it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Hey chat, if you google the word "snake" you can play snake now

Time to see how rusty my game is from the old nokia days...

This discussion has been closed.