Options

Donald Trump Attacks [The US Military]... Again

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I just....come on, man. You can't lean on he said/she said to discredit a dem congresswoman when there were other people on the call

You lied and deceived people to make your fortune. You literally did it for a living. Being so flagrantly bad at it is somehow even more insulting, given your history of it

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    The conversations that go down at my VA every day have shifted dramatically since his inauguration. President Trump would do best to stay clear if he doesn't want an earful.

Yep. I wonder what he'll actually do instead.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I just....come on, man. You can't lean on he said/she said to discredit a dem congresswoman when there were other people on the call

But it's worked for him so far, because people will repeat his claim without the proper follow-up of "of course, that was bullshit."

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i can't even be indignant or angry or have any emotion about this.

i just feel incredibly tired.
    Whereas I'm the opposite. I honestly thought nothing could surprise or shock me from this ambulatory orange clusterfuck.

But I was wrong. I'm inordinately angry at this. Most of the rest of this shit (healthcare, NFL protests, wall, the lies, the misogyny, the racism, even Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands response), I can meet with a kind of wry cynicism, even if there's still an underlying anger.

But the treatment of the families of slain service men and women, that died in service UNDER YOUR COMMAND, is the most sacred responsibility he has. And he's fucking it up. And it's just not fucking acceptable.

If COS Kelly doesn't resign, he needs to demand Trump cede responsibility for these calls to him. Would it a breach a massive breach of protocol and an overall sign of disrespect? Absolutely. But at least the people grieving at the very recent loss of a loved one in service to the country, will have someone who can treat the situation with dignity and respect.

Because this chucklefuck is never going to be capable of faking empathy for those families, and he'll never be able to make the empathic link that might stay his hand in future conflicts (one of the reasons Presidents make these calls), that I'll settle for having the memory of their loved one NOT be shit upon.

FUCK THIS GUY.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    MorganV wrote: »

Whereas I'm the opposite. I honestly thought nothing could surprise or shock me from this ambulatory orange clusterfuck.

But I was wrong. I'm inordinately angry at this. Most of the rest of this shit (healthcare, NFL protests, wall, the lies, the misogyny, the racism, even Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands response), I can meet with a kind of wry cynicism, even if there's still an underlying anger.

But the treatment of the families of slain service men and women, that died in service UNDER YOUR COMMAND, is the most sacred responsibility he has. And he's fucking it up. And it's just not fucking acceptable.

If COS Kelly doesn't resign, he needs to demand Trump cede responsibility for these calls to him. Would it a breach a massive breach of protocol and an overall sign of disrespect? Absolutely. But at least the people grieving at the very recent loss of a loved one in service to the country, will have someone who can treat the situation with dignity and respect.

Because this chucklefuck is never going to be capable of faking empathy for those families, and he'll never be able to make the empathic link that might stay his hand in future conflicts (one of the reasons Presidents make these calls), that I'll settle for having the memory of their loved one NOT be shit upon.

FUCK THIS GUY.

Anticipating essentially this was one of the reasons I wretched on election night. Being a political obsessive it wasn't just the legal powers he was going to have, since a lot of those at least have a sort of set process to curtail things a bit along with legal challenges. It's the ceremonial 'Head of State' stuff like this that I knew he would fuck up in a way that just...I can't even really articulate the feelings that are welling up inside me right now.

He insulted a grieving widow in the midst of her traveling to meet the corpse of her husband who died on his orders, whose name he couldn't bother to learn for five minutes. There aren't words.

moniker on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

FUCK THIS GUY.

Anticipating essentially this was one of the reasons I wretched on election night. Being a political obsessive it wasn't just the legal powers he was going to have, since a lot of those at least have a sort of set process to curtail things a bit along with legal challenges. It's the ceremonial 'Head of State' stuff like this that I knew he would fuck up in a way that just...I can't even really articulate the feelings that are welling up inside me right now.

He insulted a grieving widow in the midst of her traveling to meet the corpse of her husband who died on his orders, whose name he couldn't bother to learn for five minutes. There aren't words.

A grieving pregnant widow.

Fuck Trump forever.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

These are his people. His loyal and faithful voters. The military voted for him overwhelmingly, and felt that he would treat them with the respect they felt Obama did not. And he treats them like crap.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular

These are his people. His loyal and faithful voters. The military voted for him overwhelmingly, and felt that he would treat them with the respect they felt Obama did not. And he treats them like crap.

So...are you saying they knew what they signed up for?

Anywhoo, more than likely the families of the slain want nothing to do with this whole mess, because having someone (anyone) use your loss as a political point is salt in a wound that already feels all consuming.

I hope whatever needs to be documented will be documented, and they can leave the families out as much as possible. Unless they choose to get involved, which makes me cringe, because it seems clear he will attack them without hesitation or remorse.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I’m torn on this.

Some of you may know that I lost three of my Soldiers in Nangarhar on June 10th (I was their Platoon Sergeant). I don’t know if Trump called every family, but one of the spouses did say she received a call from him and that he was respectful. I obviously wasn’t present, being still on mission at the time, but she had no reason to lie as this was months ago.

The reason I’m torn is that I don’t want their memory being dragged up by Trump for political brownie points just because he called one widow and wasn’t an asshole. I also don’t want their families being hounded by the press looking for details.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    rpshoggoth wrote: »

So...are you saying they knew what they signed up for?

The precise opposite. He betrayed people who thought he would be on their side.

• Options
    I’m torn on this.

Some of you may know that I lost three of my Soldiers in Nangarhar on June 10th (I was their Platoon Sergeant). I don’t know if Trump called every family, but one of the spouses did say she received a call from him and that he was respectful. I obviously wasn’t present, being still on mission at the time, but she had no reason to lie as this was months ago.

The reason I’m torn is that I don’t want their memory being dragged up by Trump for political brownie points just because he called one widow and wasn’t an asshole. I also don’t want their families being hounded by the press looking for details.

Sorry to hear that.

I don't think you should be torn. Its for them to decide, not you. The press can be terrifying - doorstepping people and hounding people, with no respect for feelings.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Just the fact that “wasn’t rude to the grieving spouse of a fallen soldier.” Is now something will be brought up like it deserves credit.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Just the fact that “wasn’t rude to the grieving spouse of a fallen soldier.” Is now something will be brought up like it deserves credit.

Yeah Chris Rock rules apply, you're supposed to you dumb mother fucker, you don't get a cookie for doing the fucking bare min.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The video of Trumps answer to the reporter's question is amazingly infuriating.

klemming wrote: »
    Aren't all presidential calls recorded and archived, or is that just letters, tweets and emails?
    Huckabee Sanders says it wasn't recorded.

Boston Globe writer:

He is going to have John Kelly lie for him, isn't he?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Still waiting on that evidence Donny. You lying fuck.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

You think that would be a given.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Just the preview of that video tells you everything you need to know about him. Crossed arms, glaring eyes, mouth pursed. Clearly exhibiting that he's lying his ass off. Again.

He's a stubborn child caught with his hand in the cookie jar, except this child leads a global superpower, can start a war via Twitter, and has no respect for anyone.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    The video of Trumps answer to the reporter's question is amazingly infuriating.

What a petulant fucking child.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    God, just look at him in the still for that video... he looks like a bratty 5 year old.

"No, I didn't say that. Shut up, you're dumb! Sad."

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I wonder how many bereaved families are usually called by the President. In times when wars are few, a president could call all the families. But when casualties are many, it would be impossible.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I wonder how many bereaved families are usually called by the President. In times when wars are few, a president could call all the families. But when casualties are many, it would be impossible.

I would imagine it varies. During WW2 and conflicts of that nature I could see making some calls but there simply is not enough time in the day to contact directly everybody who would have needed to be contacted and still do their job as president. But at the current levels of conflict I think contacting a fair amount of them would be normal which is pretty much what Trumps predecessors did.

• Options
    Huckabee Sanders sure does sound like she is confirming parts of what the congresswoman said.
    MSNBC producer:
    Sanders does not deny that Trump said those words to Sgt. Johnson's widow, only says that Trump was "completely respectful".

CNBC reporter Christina Wilkie:
    “Just because the president called [Johnson] 'your guy, your guy’ on the call doesn’t mean the president didn’t know his name.” —White House
    Practically every person in this administration is incompetent.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

I would imagine it varies. During WW2 and conflicts of that nature I could see making some calls but there simply is not enough time in the day to contact directly everybody who would have needed to be contacted and still do their job as president. But at the current levels of conflict I think contacting a fair amount of them would be normal which is pretty much what Trumps predecessors did.

During the War the vice president picked up some of those duties as well I believe.

I saw something about that on a PBS documentary years ago.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

And even if you're terrible at phone calls, at the very least tell an intern to send a letter. He, apparently, didn't even do that. Even if you're an awful person and don't care, at least have the political sense to do that.

Trump is just a terrible person without the ability or willingness to hide it.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Just the preview of that video tells you everything you need to know about him. Crossed arms, glaring eyes, mouth pursed. Clearly exhibiting that he's lying his ass off. Again.

He's a stubborn child caught with his hand in the cookie jar, except this child leads a global superpower, can start a war via Twitter, and has no respect for anyone.

And he's still wrong / lying. The widow confirmed the congresswoman's account of the call.

But he can't take the L. He's incapable of admitting he's wrong or made a mistake.
    And he again uses the "lots of people" phrase to explain how he's right and everyone else is wrong.

EDIT: the mother of the deceased also confirmed the call. And Rep Wilson tweeted her comment again (Trump did request she say it again).

Selner on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

From WW2 to Vietnam they had telegram and letter writers to deliver the news on behalf of the president, and in WW2 they had bereavement groups that would go to the houses with local clergy to deliver the news. Since then wars have tended to be much lower on military body count and the president and VP have been able to handle calls.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Huckabee Sanders sure does sound like she is confirming parts of what the congresswoman said.
    MSNBC producer:
    Sanders does not deny that Trump said those words to Sgt. Johnson's widow, only says that Trump was "completely respectful".

CNBC reporter Christina Wilkie:
    “Just because the president called [Johnson] 'your guy, your guy’ on the call doesn’t mean the president didn’t know his name.” —White House
    Practically every person in this administration is incompetent.

She’s right. It’s also possible Trump knew the name but couldn’t remember it because he’s in a mental decline.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Enc wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-trump-purple-heart-george-bush-perspec-20160803-story.html

Could you imagine Trump doing ANY of these things?

There is a dignity at taking abuse from the loved ones of people that have been hurt by your decisions....

I can't imagine GWB doing those things either. Except in a movie that Perino seems to be writing in that article.

Dubuya was inept and destructive in oh-so-many ways, but his face-to-face respect for military families really wasn't one of them. Outside of his bonkers habit of being too familiar with people's personal space, especially women, he generally was a nice guy when he went out on photo ops.

Then, hours later, he would sign whatever monstrosity Cheney put in front of him making life worse for those he saw hours before and cried with. But during the visit he absolutely did the sort of stuff in that article.

Please.
    But as the helicopter took off, the president looked at me and said, "That mama sure was mad at me." Then he turned to look out the window of the helicopter. "And I don't blame her a bit."

One tear slipped out the side of his eye and down his face. He didn't wipe it away, and we flew back to the White House.
    This is hackneyed bullshit from the most melodramatic of prime-time soaps.

I'm sure he felt vaguely bad between lying to the world to get those men killed, but I don't buy he cried one single perfect tear that rolled down his cheek, untouched.

shryke on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    moniker wrote: »

FUCK THIS GUY.

Yeah, honestly, this is the least surprising thing he's been up to. He's always shown a complete lack of understanding for just basic decorum and formality. It's actually what his voters liked about him. He lacks the empathy or the caring to treat anything or anyone seriously or with respect. He only cares about himself. It was always obvious the head of state fluff he would have to do would be done in the most crass and insulting way possible because he can't be any other way.

I mean, remember the purple heart thing during the campaign? This is just more of the same. He never hid who he was.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Jesus fucking christ. Trump managed to do the charity promise lie shit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-offered-a-grieving-military-father-25000-in-a-call-but-didnt-follow-through/2017/10/18/8d4cbc8c-b43a-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html
    Trump offered a grieving military father $25,000 in a call, but didn’t follow through
    President Trump, in a personal phone call to a grieving military father, offered him $25,000 and said he would direct his staff to establish an online fundraiser for the family, but neither happened, the father said.

Chris Baldridge, the father of Army Cpl. Dillon Baldridge, told The Washington Post that Trump called him at his home in Zebulon, N.C., a few weeks after his 22-year-old son and two fellow soldiers were gunned down by an Afghan police officer in a suspected insider attack June 10. Their phone conversation lasted about 15 minutes, Baldridge said, and centered for a time on the father’s struggle with the manner in which his son was killed.
    In his call with Trump, Baldridge, a construction worker, expressed frustration with the military’s survivor benefits program. Because his ex-wife was listed as their son’s beneficiary, she was expected to receive the Pentagon’s $100,000 death gratuity — even though “I can barely rub two nickels together,” he told Trump.

The president’s response shocked him.

“He said, ‘I’m going to write you a check out of my personal account for $25,000,’ and I was just floored,” Baldridge said. “I could not believe he was saying that, and I wish I had it recorded because the man did say this. He said, ‘No other president has ever done something like this,’ but he said, ‘I’m going to do it.’ “

The White House declined to comment on Baldridge’s account.
    In all, seven Gold Star families contacted by The Post said they have had phone conversations with Trump. Most said they appreciated the gesture. Four families said they have not received a call and were upset. One said Trump had not called but that they knew the late soldier would not want his death politicized. An additional family said that it had corresponded with the White House, but declined to elaborate.

Edit:
    But White House spokeswoman Lindsay Walters said in a statement Wednesday afternoon, “The check has been sent. It’s disgusting that the media is taking something that should be recognized as a generous and sincere gesture, made privately by the President, and using it to advance the media’s biased agenda. “
    Given how Trump acted in the past with charity stuff, I am pretty sure they sent it today.

Couscous on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

You lied and deceived people to make your fortune. You literally did it for a living. Being so flagrantly bad at it is somehow even more insulting, given your history of it

But NFL players kneeling amirite?!

• Options
    WHAT!

Baldridge is one of my fucking Soldiers!

I’m so fucking furious right now I’m getting dizzy. Literally.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    :bro:

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    WHAT!

Holy shit dude.

I have a very good friend who (Trump issues aside) went through some of what you are going through now after his first tour. If there is anything you need....

• Options
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    WHAT!

Holy shit dude.

I have a very good friend who (Trump issues aside) went through some of what you are going through now after his first tour. If there is anything you need....

Thank you, but I don’t think there’s much to be done.

I’m just very upset.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    WHAT!

Drink some water, calm, man.

This shit is fucking ridiculous. I mean, I won't stop you if you remove or alter Trumps photo on your chain of command wall area.

I can't even imagine... it's bad enough to lose a trooper, it's even worse to have someone in a higher seat than you kicking dirt on it.

Trump can get fucked.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    WHAT!

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know shit about the uniform code, and I know you're upset, but just be careful about how you vent your frustrations on a public forum. You have every right to be pissed, but no one here wants you see you get in trouble.

• Options
    I decided to email Senator McCain. Even though I'm out of state, I still vote in Arizona.

Please keep in mind that as active duty, it's against military law for me to use my rank, status, or position to influence politics. We can still protest, but not in uniform or mention our military background. So please understand this as you read it, knowing that I have to keep it politically neutral since. So that I think that McCain says more than he does and have been very vocal in the past on him (including previous emails), I have to keep this much more subdued.
    Senator McCain,

I understand that you have been vocal against some of the things President Trump has been against and I appreciate your continued support of our service members and veterans. Also, please let me offer my sympathies for your recent medical situation and I wish you improved health in the future.

That said, I recently read an article on the Washington Post (that I will link at the end of this) stating that President Trump promised the father of CPL Baldridge $25,000, which has so far not been received. I served with (posthumously awarded rank.) SGT Baldridge in Nangarhar, Afghanistan, and was present on that day when he and two others were murdered in an insider attack.

As an out-of-state Arizona voter and friend of SGT Baldridge, I am extremely upset that our Commander and Chief made a promise to his father and has failed to follow through on it. I want to be clear that this is not a political matter to me, but a personal one. I fully expect you to do your best to ensure that any promise, that any President makes, is honored to the utmost of their ability and that those whom sacrifice themselves for the good of our nation are honored in a way that is respectful to them and their families. Please do not let this pass.

Thank you and best wishes for the future.

Link to article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-offered-a-grieving-military-father-25000-in-a-call-but-didnt-follow-through/2017/10/18/8d4cbc8c-b43a-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html?utm_term=.e6a2cd1d0845

steam_sig.png

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    You're good people, MC.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    To be entirely clear, it is awesome that you are looking out for your people and their families.

This entire situation is otherwise as far from awesome as I think we can get without involving Hubble.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
This discussion has been closed.