As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Line Games - Questions about coordination

Mark BMark B Registered User regular
I'd like to use this forum and also start a thread at BGG to coordinate groups of people who are planning to line up early for certain events and would like to coordinate playing a specific boardgame while waiting in line. People can post what they are planning to line up for and when they are planning to line up, and also include a list of games they are willing to teach or looking to play.

Before doing this, I wanted to check in with any enforcers out there regarding line etiquette and safety rules:
1. I checked out the wiki, and it said that people could bring collapsible chairs to a pax line if they needed to sit, but this part of the wiki had a question mark next to it, which makes me think that this is not confirmed as permitted. Can people bring small collapsible chairs?
2. Would small portable playing surfaces be permitted?
3. I plan to post the following caveats about line games--are there others I should include in addition to the ones below?
4. Caveats: 1) Games need to fit the timeframe of the line--when the doors open, the game needs to be finished! 2) Games need to be somewhat moveable. Occationally, enforcers will consolidate the lines and you will need to move even before the event starts, games should be relatively easy to pick up and re-set-up. Take a picture of the board to make sure to remember where everything goes! 3) The game cannot take up a huge chunk of the floor. Limit your games to a Ticket To Ride size footprint. This will prevent the lines from sprawling. 4) If you can, leave an open space or two in your game, in case your neighbor in line who doesn't use the forums might want to join. Make a new friend!

I think this could make Pax Unplugged that much more fun, but I also want to respect the rules. Any advice from enforces (or anyonee with a great deal of pax line experience) on how this could work without being disruptive would be greatly appreciated.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2017
    If it's on the wiki I occasionally edit, I should update the any part that includes chairs. The general rule is that a small foldable stool can be used if it doesn't take up more space than you would if you were standing. It does sort of depend on where the line is and what type of thing it is for. For example, there is a portion of lineup for the PAX East Main Theater that has a good space for doing that, but not all line areas have that space. It is largely going to depend on how it's set up when we get there, which we really won't know until during this first show.

I think limiting things to maybe more glass road size or something with rearrange-able setup like splendor would be an easier size limit. Anything with a board the size of ticket to ride is probably much too large for a line game. From extensive experience, card or dice games work best.

I would hope that given the focus of unplugged, there might be more line leeway than at other shows, but again we really won't know until we see the space and see the line setups.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Thanks, that all makes sense. I've never played Glass Road, so I'm not sure how the size works on that, but I'll think about games with a small footprint that also have the depth and "meatiness" that fits with Unplugged. Glass Road itself is a good example of this, from what I understand about the game.

I think that quick and small card and dice games are good choices for spontaneous line games, but it would be nice to be able to arrange to play a more "main event" type game while waiting.

• Options
    not_hanznot_hanz Under The Feathered HatRegistered User regular
    Hello! I am the enforcer who is in charge of the Line Management team for PAX Unplugged. I would like to start off by saying that I love line games. They are a fantastic way to meet new people and turn what can be one of the most boring parts of PAX into fun times and even new friendships. With that in mind we usually try to accommodate people playing games as much as possible. However, the space that we have to put people for lines is finite. As the line fills up we will many times have to "compress" the line to make room for more people. When this happens you might be asked to pack up your game mid-game and compress. As long as you are ready and willing to do that I say: Bring on the games and have fun!

I would also like to recommend sticking to smaller games that don't require a board however. Games like Zombie Dice, Love Letter, Citadels can all be played on small/irregular surfaces or laps even when you have been compressed in line. I'm not saying a hard "NO" to a small table and games, but I am more warning you that you might have to end your game much earlier as space becomes an issue with something like that.

I hope this information was useful. I can't wait to see you all in Philly!

• Options
    TheOperationsExpertTheOperationsExpert Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I'm thinking Hanabi would be great for this. Star Realms might work well too. In the past, I've seen FLuxx and Munchkin played (I know some tabletop gamers poo-poo these, but it's something to do). The other great thing about it is you don't have to plan exactly how long it's going to take, and can play multiple rounds. Plus portability is important to take into account, especially if you're planning on buying things there.

TheOperationsExpert on
  • Options
    I was mainly thinking of this because I plan to line up for Acquisitions Inc very early, leaving me with 2 hours in line. Better even than a board game, I think I may try to recruit some players for a short D&D adventure. I've been running a 5e campaign and really enjoy being a GM. It would be all theater of the mind so there would be very little space required (just to roll the dice). Do you think there would be interest? I'd want experienced players due to the need to get up and running quickly and not spend too much time explaining the rules.

• Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    We usually bring a few tiny games with us for playing while on line. That said, we stick to REALLY little stuff which can be scooped up and put away in under 10 seconds. Small card games and the like. Things we can teach to new friends we meet waiting around us on line in under 30 seconds. I would not go as far as Glass Road, that's a LOT of pieces to have to pack up when it's suddenly time to move.

• Options
    LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    I'd recommend any of the Roll & Write style of games. Qwixx, Avenue, Roll Through the Ages -- games without a central board, and players maintain all the information needed to play the game on personal scorepads or small boards.

Telestrations would be another great way to pass the time -- again, no central board, and the entire game components are just whiteboard flip-pads and dry erase markers.

• Options
    I appreciate all the suggestions and the warnings about attempting anything with a board and lots of pieces. Given this, I think I'll go ahead and try to recruit some players for a short D&D 5e one-shot. I think this will be more fun than short and light card and dice games, and it will be just as easy to pick up and move. What do you think would be the best way to find 3-4 people who would like to play D&D in the Acquisitions Incorporated line?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I would bet just asking your line neighbors would work, but you could also carry a sign that says you are looking for players? Or plan something on the forums here and meet up on the way into the line