As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What the hell fell off my car?

mcpmcp Registered User regular
This morning I noticed something silver hanging from underneath my bumper.

While driving, it fell right off.

What is this and is it important?

ohqajxcatzx2.png
ghqtaidgm2uo.png
qwmch87yfrxw.png

I marked where it fell from. It's a 2009 Pontiac Vibe.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    its a heat shield

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Is my car going to blow up if I don't fix that?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    no, but whatever it was protecting could potentially take damage from the road

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Cool.

Thanks, folks!

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    To expand, that heat shield is directly above your muffler. It's either going to be a shield to protect wiring or fluid lines, OR it's a quality of life thing to prevent the exhaust heat from making passengers/cargo above it uncomfortable from the heat. I can't really tell, but it doesn't look like there is much above it, so I'm guessing it's the latter.

If possible, have it re-installed ASAP as it was put there for a reason. It's unlikely to leave you stranded though.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    To expand, that heat shield is directly above your muffler. It's either going to be a shield to protect wiring or fluid lines, OR it's a quality of life thing to prevent the exhaust heat from making passengers/cargo above it uncomfortable from the heat. I can't really tell, but it doesn't look like there is much above it, so I'm guessing it's the latter.

If possible, have it re-installed ASAP as it was put there for a reason. It's unlikely to leave you stranded though.

this is true

I thought it was maybe the one under your exhaust that is there to keep rocks from hitting your muffler or to keep your exhaust from setting tall grass aflame in the unlikely event you drove through a dry field

if it's the one above your exhaust, you won't get stranded in the middle of nowhere, but definitely get it reattached

• Options
    Good to know.

I'll see about getting it back on.

thanks!