As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How the F'ing F do I change this light bulb?

The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
HBCOIkT.jpg
eQZd74G.jpg

Here is the offending light fixture in question. I've never had to fiddle with this style before. I bought some LED light bulbs for a buck each and figured, hey let's see how they look in here, as the original bulbs were a touch too dim for my tastes. After not knowing even how to fucking get them out, I managed to unscrew the old bulbs. One was a squiggly bulb, and another a flat pancake shaped LED. Either way, I got one bulb in, but I cannot get the other. It's too tight against the dome to go in at the straight angle it needs to screw in. And I don't know how they got the old bulbs in because it's the same problem, I can't get them in because of the bowl. And I can't see any way to take off the bowl to get better access to the sockets. It can't obviously come down because it's resting on that circle bar, and it certainly can't come up and over, there's just no room. You can see screws from the struts going into the bowl, but as far as I can see, they're not doing anything. And if they are, I've tried unscrewing them and between how tight they are and the room I have, I can't get them off.

So... HOW do you change these bulbs? Is it really as "simple" as reaching in and screwing/unscrewing the bulb? I've even tried a normal dictionary standard light bulb, and even it's a bitch to get in because of the goddamn bowl. These LED bulbs are the same shape, but only a millimeter taller, so no doubt that's not helping. Just... am I missing something obvious here?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Are you able to unscrew the screws that go directly into the top of the "bowl", and remove it (the bowl) to get to the socket?

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Are you able to unscrew the screws that go directly into the top of the "bowl", and remove it (the bowl) to get to the socket?

I'm familiar with the more standard type of dome fixtures that are held in place by 3 horizontal screws. But after trying and failing to remove the screws you mentioned, I kind of deduced they couldn't be doing anything? They're not going into the bowl as far as I can see, just touching it. I might be wrong on this fact, I'll take a closer look. But it's impossible to lift the bowl up and out simply because of the struts. And I'm assuming the bowl is itself resting on the circular bar, which means it can't really come down. I realize the screwy nature of this, in that... what could those screws possibly be doing then? I'll try giving them another go, but they didn't seem to come loose, not to mention the awkward nature of getting a screwdriver in there. I should also mention that for all of this, I'm standing on a chair that is just a hair too short to comfortably work, so... that's also a thing. We've got a sturdy ottoman style dresser that's a bit taller, I might try using that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

I'm familiar with the more standard type of dome fixtures that are held in place by 3 horizontal screws. But after trying and failing to remove the screws you mentioned, I kind of deduced they couldn't be doing anything? They're not going into the bowl as far as I can see, just touching it. I might be wrong on this fact, I'll take a closer look. But it's impossible to lift the bowl up and out simply because of the struts. And I'm assuming the bowl is itself resting on the circular bar, which means it can't really come down. I realize the screwy nature of this, in that... what could those screws possibly be doing then? I'll try giving them another go, but they didn't seem to come loose, not to mention the awkward nature of getting a screwdriver in there. I should also mention that for all of this, I'm standing on a chair that is just a hair too short to comfortably work, so... that's also a thing. We've got a sturdy ottoman style dresser that's a bit taller, I might try using that.
    Most likely, those screws are there to stop the bowl from clinking or rattling in the case of an off balance fan blade. That'd drive me nuts pretty quickly.

If you can pull those vertical screws out, it looks like you could undo the screws that are holding the struts to the piece of metal that are holding the bowl up maybe?
    I mean, it seems like a lot of work to replace a couple of bulbs, but maybe that's what they wanted you to do?

The only other thing I can think of is to get a real step ladder and see if you can get a better angle on it than standing on a chair or piece of furniture.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Looks like if you remove the screws on top of the bowl you will have access to the screws holding the curvy metal parts holding it up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I can take another picture if needed, but the screw on the curvy bit has a nut on the back, so it's a lot more fiddly to take off and put on again. I came to the same idea: take out the screws that are essentially holding the entire circle ring up. And like you I also wondered... is that what you're supposed to do to change the bloody bulb?! And if I got it down, I don't know if I'd be able to get it back up by myself. That's why I'm wondering if I'm missing something stupid.

I've a feeling the answer is simply "screw in the bulb from above", it's just a shitty ass design that doesn't really accommodate that.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Its a really shitty design. You will probably need a second person to hold the bowl when removing and putting it back on and a wrench to hold the nut when working with the second set of screws.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    An update: The inside electrical fixture the sockets are in actually rotates. 90 degrees, if not more. In addition, the entire bowl and metal structure also rotates. You can't rotate too far before you're stopped by the strings connecting to the light and fan switches, but those can be removed easily. Maybe this is a secret to getting better access to the sockets? I dunno. But I was able to rotate the socket enough to a part of the bowl that had a teeny tiny bit more clearance, and was able to screw the fucking bulb in.

I am very glad these are LED bulbs that will hopefully last for decades, because fuck ever trying to change them again. But the problem is "solved". Yippie.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Edit: wrong thread

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Might want to take a look at those screw/fasteners right above the lip of that bowl/antenna dish-looking bit that connects the larger fixture to the fan. It might be that those are holding on the entire assembly thanks to an inner sleeve sort of thing, so it all comes off together to give you access to the lights.

Then again, it might not, but I'd say it's worth a shot.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    My guess is you can turn the metal rod cage holding the bowl up to pop it off.

camo_sig.png