As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gaming Pants

JdNoaJdNoa Registered User regular
I'd like to get my husband a pair of "gaming pants" for Christmas to follow up on a running joke.

Mostly he plays WWI/WWII games and World of Tanks, and in the past he played a lot of Counter-Strike. He's not into Star Wars, WoW, Zelda, Angry Birds, or RPGs - which covers a lot of what I've found online. Also not really nostalgic about old console games.

I'm thinking either a camo pattern or maybe a star pattern since he also likes to keep up on astronomy and I do remember him playing some space sims.

Currently he wears either an ancient pair of Champion tear aways or Icebreaker merino wool leggings (the type used as a base layer for hiking etc.). I had high hopes when I found Icebreaker camo leggings but they seem to have been discontinued and I haven't found anywhere that still has size XL.

Here are some possibilities I've found - I'm wondering if anyone either has experience with these or has other suggestions.

https://jinx.com/shop/coll/jinx/g/men/#jinx_epic_side_quest_jogger
thinkgeek.com/product/jtiv
https://intotheam.com/collections/mens-joggers/products/spectrum-joggers

Thanks!

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I got nothing to offer but am fascinated that gaming pants are a thing.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    What you want are TACTICAL PANTS!

They're Tacti-cool!

Under Armor camo tactical pants! So camo, you won't even realize he has legs

TAC-LITE rip-stop tactical pants, with hip-mounted D-ring and extra deep pockets for, you guessed it, tactical use. These come in desert tan and operator black. Perfect for the console veteran! Boom Headshot!

Or, for a little crazier, try this: the EAGLE WARRIOR MMA FIGHTING TIGHTS OMG WARRIOR FIGHT EAGLE YES

Lots of other designs there like STORM DRAGON and ELEMENTAL POISON.

Hope those help!

spool32 on
  • Options
    I love everything about Spool's post except for the expectation that I need to wear pants.

• Options
    While gaming, I mean.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    There should be an army (including other armed services) surplus store you can check out.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    jncobus.png

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I am forever going to assume that's a picture of you @Jasconius.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Army Surplus store; get him the real deal!

Pick up some BDUs, maybe a rucksack.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    5PTlsN5.jpg?1

• Options
    Kelor wrote: »
    5PTlsN5.jpg?1

this-is-beautiful.gif

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    Military surplus!

https://kommandostore.com/british-army-mtp-trousers-pcs-style-temperate-weather-rated/

These are the latest issue British Army combat trousers and only $23 - right in your price range. Unfortunately, it looks like they have limited sizes at the moment. You might be able to find more elsewhere.

They're actually great - I have a full set of MTP camo for hunting.

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestions all! I hadn't thought of getting him actual hunting or surplus gear... my only concern is that those are probably not super comfy, being made to be rugged, and at that point he'd prefer pants free gaming like Enc said. So, it works well for the joke but then might not get used. I will definitely keep it in mind though if I can't find something lounge-y...

@spool32 do you know anything about how tights like that feel? My googling suggests fighting tights provide "compression" which sounds a bit unpleasant.

Those jeans are amazing.

As are those boots.

For price range I could go up to $150 if it was something he'd actually use. If it's just to be funny then yeah, cheaper military surplus looks like a good deal.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    compression pants are great

10/10

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I can't speak to those British army pants but most American fatigue pants are pretty comfortable, both the old analog pattern and the newer digital ones. At least the MARPAT ones. Particularly if you aren't using boot bands.

I wouldn't worry about comfort but camo is a pretty strong design choice that's not for every one.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    The underarmor fatigues are prob gonna be pretty comfortable, and you either love or hate compression pants for lounging... they don't squeeze you though... it's not like that.

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    Combat pants are super comfy and the material fees nice. 5/7 would buy again.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    jncobus.png

I think I know this guy.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    jncobus.png

I think I know this guy.

No doubt your life is richer for it.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    jncobus.png

I think I know this guy.

hahahaha bus stop kid's "damn man .... that's awful"

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    jncobus.png

I think I know this guy.

if by "awful" you mean "truly inspirational"

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I wonder if those are JNCOs... man... the late '90s... judge none choose one, people! :snap: :snap: :snap:

Compression wear only really constricts if you buy them in the wrong size. They are otherwise fairly comfortable either as an under layer or just to laze about at home... I guess for running and things as well.

Under Armor has a wide variety of printed leggings from camo and generic prints too, though you probably won't find many space/star pattern prints for men.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I wonder if those are JNCOs... man... the late '90s... judge none choose one, people! :snap: :snap: :snap:

Holy shit, is that what JNCO means?!

At any rate, I proudly owned a pair of JNCO "shorts" back in the day. I say "shorts" because you could comfortably fit a family of 4 in them...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    And they reached to mid-calf?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    This rabbit hole has no bottom. Too bad I can't find that GIF of the three goth ravers (in JNCOs). You know the one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BspA-FF7wAo

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    jncobus.png

I think I know this guy.

and his mom is all "don't make eye contact, just wait for the bus son"

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Robonun wrote: »
    jncobus.png

I think I know this guy.

and his mom is all "don't make eye contact, just wait for the bus son"

qclv5cvq3tdu.png

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    jncobus.png

I think I know this guy.

If he's the guy I think he is (who looked just like that and wore JNCOs so this checks out) he was a very smart, fun-loving, incredibly ballsy guy who now has a Ph.D and has published scientific papers on his research into carbon sequestration. Also he gave me an ulcer (doll) in college. So yes, my life is richer for knowing him.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The more I learn about stuff from the 90's the more I question if I really was around for that entire decade because I remember none of it. Then I remember it spanned 1-10 years old so that explains things.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Is it important that they are pants or that they are leg covering?

Because Amazon has a camo onsie:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06ZZGVNRJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510916259&sr=1-1&pi=SL180_SX119_CR0,0,119,180_QL70&keywords=camoflage

My original goal was a velour camo tracksuit, which exist, and for some.reason amuse me greatly, but I can only find them on pintrest boards on GIS.
    Mugsley wrote: »
    And they reached to mid-calf?

Now shorts barely reach my knee caps.

They're basically speedos.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Do they make camoflauge pattern maternity pants?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Do they make camoflauge pattern maternity pants?

I have no doubts that they do

probably in hot pink

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Clicked on this thread not knowing what to expect.

It delivered.

(for the record, camo fleece joggers are pretty great pants for being lazy)

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Is it weird to anyone else that the best clothes for lazing about always seem to be clothes intended for working out?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Has anyone recommended going Utilakilt yet? Dunno if I spelled it right, but those might be comfy for gaming.

• Options
    Pants specifically yeah because the joke was "gaming pants", so kilts and onesies aren't applicable. For this purpose. I admit to being tempted by some of the suggestions myself...

I've located some nearby surplus stores to check out. :) Also still looking at random joggers online.

• Options
    JdNoa wrote: »
    I've located some nearby surplus stores to check out. :) Also still looking at random joggers online.

Hmm...

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Is it weird to anyone else that the best clothes for lazing about always seem to be clothes intended for working out?

people work out in baggy flannel pajama pants and a t-shirt?

that seems unsafe for some reason