As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[lock please] Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum

SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentitytrying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
edited November 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
Legitimacy has been restored.

9bfne22arify.jpg

I am striking directly at the central seat of galactic power.
Surfpossum wrote: »
My friend got his copy of TI4, and we had the inaugural game of it this weekend, spread out over two 4 hour sessions.

I think pretty much all the changes I'm aware of range from either good to excellent: the minis are a more rigid material now, which I like, and the tech system not requiring an actual 11x17 map to find your way around is lovely. The additional typing of the planets will probably add more strategies to galaxy creation, and the tech planets now feel much more substantial. The politics and trading feel especially rejuvenated; we were trading constantly in this version, whereas it was pretty rare previously. The commodities/trade goods change is particularly brilliant.

Setup:
We dealt out the races randomly; we had the robutts (L1z1x Mindnet, led by the happy new owner, A), the hippie spores (the... Arborec? led by A's fiancee, T), the friendly robutts (Nekro Virus, commanded by chronically late friend J), the tech nerds (Universities of Jol-Nar, led by my girlfriend, H), the warmongers (Barony of Letnev, A's bro M), and the persecuted yet noble space cats (Clan of Saar, myself, P, and very appropriate as I am often wrongly and unfairly treated with the greatest prejudice).

We actually built the galaxy this time; the seating arrangement was P (rolled to start), H, J, T, A,
and M. We all either put hazards or empty space around Mecatol Rex, didn't make the wormholes too horrific, and loaded up a decent amount of planets around each starting area; nothing too lopsided, I think, aside from the tech and typed planets being a bit clustered.

The stage was set; it was time for the grand drama!

Early game:
I took Warfare the first turn so that I could claim nearly every planet around my home system, giving me a quick bump in trade goods.

M started massing dreadnoughts immediately,
while H just fortified her corner. A and T split the wealth on their side, and J reassured everyone that the Nekro Virus had their best interests at heart.

I think round two I blasted off to Mecatol Rex with two cruisers and a carrier; the engine upgrade tech let my carrier move a needed extra space and flank speed helped them all along.
You need to spend six influence now to land the first time on Mecatol Rex, which I just so happened to have thanks to my prior turn off mad expansion. H said I was helping the custodians clean up the planet, in response to which I got in a huff about hurtful stereotyping and read off the portion on my race card that described how we are often the ones to take the dirty jobs.

A rushed to War Suns, getting them round 3 or 4,
while M continued building dreads until they ran out of them. T was peacefully colonizing planets and pulling ahead on points. We had a vote shortly after A got War Suns, and J predicted (using their ability) that it would pass.
I tried to argue that passing whatever it was would provide very little benefit compared to J getting a free tech, but I was, as ever [long-suffering sigh] ignored. It was passed, and much to everyone else's completely unwarranted surprise, J declared that he would copy A's War Sun tech.

We ended for the night with A and J prepping their War Suns, T massing dreads, M eating up my undefended territory with half their dreads,
H still just chilling in her corner, and myself trapped on Mecatol Rex, wailing and gnashing my teeth.

Late game:
The next day soon found T in the lead with 7 points, myself with 6, and everybody else at 4 or 5. The two pointers were showing up now, so things were heating up. Nearly every hex around Mecatol Rex was either hazards or packed with dreads and War Suns.

I had a mere two dreads, my flagship, a couple of fighters, and a cruiser on Mecatol Rex, and this was essentially my entire fleet. I did, however, have a pair of PDS with Deep Space Cannons, which encouraged everyone two throw a trade good or two my way as they jostled for position around me. T had tried to send some ships to claim a second agacent tile for a point, and lost them all to 3 PDS hits, so everyone was skittish. Besides, M had taken over half my starting area, including one of my home planets, so my production ability was essentially limited to trade goods.

Any of their fleets could have crushed me, but they would have risked incurring some losses and would have cemented themselves as the main threat, so nobody wanted to be the first to push me out of Mecatol Rex. Besides, T was inching ever closer to 10 points.

I eventually had literally no ships outside of Mecatol Rex; T had claimed 3 secret objectives and was trying to find a way to claim a public one for their 10th point. M was getting ready to power up a massive fleet having all of his space and nearly all of mine, J and A both had double War Suns, and H was just quietly trading with people in her corner.

Then I won. H and I had been colluding, and she gave M the speaker token. He, along with A and J, didn't realize the importance of the Imperial card to me that round, and took Warfare, letting me take Imperial. T was aware that I was getting threateningly close, despite her 9 points to my 7, but didn't see quite how urgent things were in time to explain it to the others. A and J were focused on making sure T didn't win that round, as they (everyone, actually) were all set to win the next round.

But even though they had asked me earlier and noted that I had a stack of 12 trade goods stored up ("I have no planets with which to build! Persecution!" I had cried) for some reason nobody paid attention to the 2 pointer for spending 10 trade goods.

For once, I managed to pull off being in the lead while appearing to have absolutely nothing instead of appearing to be in the lead with no certain route forward. I had everything roughly planned out for 3 rounds, which is an absolute eternity in this game, and I was tremendously pleased. I'd even had a backup plan in case somebody attacked: Skilled Retreat to move my (paltry) fleet to safety (and hopefully to bait out any Sabotages, since we'd discarded down to 3 action cards recently), and Parlay to cancel the ground invasion, leaving me with control of the planet and an unwilling, unwitting, and substantially larger defense fleet.

Everyone aside from H was surprised, though T slightly less so, and it was widely agreed that it was another example of how good the game is that everyone was so close to victory.

The board at the start of the final round:
9t7ma5lnh68y.jpg

TI remains perhaps my favorite board game, and I think the new edition brings a lot of substantial improvements. Two thumbs up etc.
Board games: great or the best? Discuss.

Surfpossum on

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    We have a rift! Quick! Someone grab the warfare strategy card!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    who dares create a new chat when the old chat still lives

usurper!

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Posting is hard.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Posting is hard.

Let's go shopping

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

usurper!
    The empire has grown slothful and decadent, abdicating its duties towards the citizens and therefore its divine right.

The custodians have failed; Mecatol Rex has not fallen to enemies without but to those within, who seek only chaos.

We must rebuild.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

usurper!
    The empire has grown slothful and decadent, abdicating its duties towards the citizens and therefore its divine right.

The custodians have failed; Mecatol Rex has not fallen to enemies without but to those within, who seek only chaos.

We must rebuild.

LET ME SHOW YOU HOW TO BECOME FAT FROM STRENGTH

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.