As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awards Season 2018: Oscar noms are out

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm just gonna say I disagree. Five nominees is fine, and if the wrong people or movies get nominated the fault is with the people voting, not the number of slots. The ceremony already lasts far too long, doubling the number of people up for awards will mean no one gets out of their before 3am.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Oh also The LEGO Batman Movie got hella snubbed. Ferdinand over that?

Boss Baby over that. Freaking Boss Baby. Do I think LEGO Batman should win? No. Does it deserve to be nominated over Boss Baby? Yes, a thousand times yes.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    On the other hand, seeing as Coco is the prohibitive favorite, I’m not going to get too concerned about what other nominees should be.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    It's going to be weird seeing Paddington 2 on the lists (here's hoping) next year, after seeing it last year.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Boss Baby probably got in there riding the WTF factor.
    I'm more surprised Your Name got ignored.

• Options
    Ahahahaha Plummer got a nomination. Expert trolling there, Academy

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    On the other hand, seeing as Coco is the prohibitive favorite, I’m not going to get too concerned about what other nominees should be.

Pixar/Disney always win this award, so every other animated film really is competing just for the nomination, which recognition can dramatically increase a movie’s chances of being seen forever.

Which is why, by the way, having more than 5 BP noms is also good, because it helps more movies get a boost, which is the only thing of value the Oscars actually provide.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

IIRC Your Name was half-assedly rushed into a limited release in the US at the tail end of 2016 in an attempt to get an Oscar nod which was completely unnoticed by the Oscar voters. When it was actually made into a proper limited release in 2017 so people could actually see it in theaters in the US and see how great it was, it had already disqualified itself from the Oscar nomination it deserved. Basically, someone screwed up logistics in impatience.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

IIRC Your Name was half-assedly rushed into a limited release in the US at the tail end of 2016 in an attempt to get an Oscar nod which was completely unnoticed by the Oscar voters. When it was actually made into a proper limited release in 2017 so people could actually see it in theaters in the US and see how great it was, it had already disqualified itself from the Oscar nomination it deserved. Basically, someone screwed up logistics in impatience.

Ooof.
    Yeah, they really fucked that up.
    I mean, Coco would still probably win, but...

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Logan, yes!

Boss Baby, ...what?

I'm hoping for BR2049 wins.

No Mother! is surprising to me. Probably too divisive.

I hope Coco wins animation AND original song. Remember Me is dope.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Rachel Morrison is the first woman ever to be nominated for Best Cinematography! I am most pleased.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Yeah but keep in mind last year they only had three nominations for Best Animated Feature because they couldn't even be arsed to pick a film that wasn't from Disney/Pixar or Dreamworks :rotate:

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Ahahahaha Plummer got a nomination. Expert trolling there, Academy

Didn’t he do this part in like a week?

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

Ooof.
    Yeah, they really fucked that up.
    I mean, Coco would still probably win, but...

Your Name was probably the best movie i saw this year. Too bad that it wasn't nominated for anything because of poor timing.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Yeah but keep in mind last year they only had three nominations for Best Animated Feature because they couldn't even be arsed to pick a film that wasn't from Disney/Pixar or Dreamworks :rotate:

And also that voters can't be bothered and have said they vote for whichever movie their kids like more, so *shrug*

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I think Get Out getting nominated for Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Director is your headline here

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

And also that voters can't be bothered and have said they vote for whichever movie their kids like more, so *shrug*

Yeah, the requirements for voting on Best Animated Feature are very deliberately much looser than any of the requirements on voting for "major" categories. Best Documentary suffers from similar loose restrictions.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I say "Get Out" should win the Oscar because of all the candidates I've only seen that and "Logan" which was distinctly "meh."

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Jordan Peele is a goddamn treasure, and I would be totally okay with Get Out cleaning up with some awards.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I like the craft awards, those are my favorite. They are considerably less bullshitty than the rest.

Foreign Language is still the biggest bullshit of all though. That it exists in the first place is bad enough, but then there's all sorts of stupid rules and bah. I really hate how little grace the Academy affords work from outside their circle.

Though I will say about the nominations that it's so fucking cool that Agnes Varda won an honorary Oscar and is now nominated in competition in the same year at age 89. We could have had two, by the way. Frederick Wiseman's Ex Libris was shortlisted in the same category, and he also received the an honorary this year.

Tenzytile on
  • Options
    Tenzytile wrote: »
    I really hate how little grace the Academy affords work from outside their circle.

I mean, it also makes perfect sense, it's about patting themselves on the back and projecting the message to the public that the kinds of films that they are making in Hollywood are important.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I would really like A Fantastic Woman to win best foreign picture. That actress needs to be a star. She’s so good.

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    I would really like A Fantastic Woman to win best foreign picture. That actress needs to be a star. She’s so good.

Would you say she’s

fantastic

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Baby Driver was included in all the sound related categories, so I am satisfied. It better win them, too, Academy.

Also, so much hate for Boss Baby! Did you guys actually see it? It looked dumb as balls, but it was actually fairly clever and a lot of fun. Not Oscar worthy, but it wasn't exactly Minions.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Baby Driver was included in all the sound related categories, so I am satisfied. It better win them, too, Academy.

Also, so much hate for Boss Baby! Did you guys actually see it? It looked dumb as balls, but it was actually fairly clever and a lot of fun. Not Oscar worthy, but it wasn't exactly Minions.

No, and I’m not going to watch its sequel, Boss Baby 2: Yeah It’s Totally About the President either

• Options

I only saw the poster at first and felt nothing but disgust, but once a friend with toddlers got dragged to see it and tried to decribe me the plot, I decided I should probably check it out once it hits streaming.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    If the under-10s voted for Oscars, they would vote for Boss Baby. My kid loved it.

I pray I never have to watch it.

• Options

I only saw the poster at first and felt nothing but disgust, but once a friend with toddlers got dragged to see it and tried to decribe me the plot, I decided I should probably check it out once it hits streaming.

I mean, non-babies do kind of fuck everything up

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It's basically Alec Baldwin channeling his 30 Rock character by way of his Glen Glengary Ross character. Revulsion for the movie poster and trailer are the good and right reactions, inasmuch as they do a shit job of marketing the film, but it's legit fun. I'd put it on par with the first Despicable Me.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The Florida Project not nominated for best picture? booooo

In a Hearbeat not nominated for best animated short? boooooooooooooooo

But, I am one of the three people that didn't like the new Blade Runner, so I'm happy to see that one not get a best pic nom

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »

Would you say she’s

fantastic
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjbu0kSEuQQ

• Options
    As I’ve said before, the Oscars are a lagging indicator, not a cause. In this case, this year’s animated nominees reflect that absolutely terrible state of American animation, which has remained almost exclusively within the ghetto of children’s entertainment since Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The Academy doesn’t nominate whatever their kids happened to like in any other category, and that’s because every other part of the industry produces movies for grown-ups. That they generally refuse to recognize excellent foreign work in this category wouldn’t be anywhere near ad frustrating if there was consistent excellent American animation that wasn’t for kids.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    That animation slate is garbage. Even ignoring Lego Batman, by all accounts there were multiple Japanese films this year very worthy of nomination.

In fact there were probably a whole slew of movies that should have been picked over fucking Boss Baby.

From 2014, a real Oscar voter, on the subject of best animated films:
    I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn't see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin' Chinese fuckin' things that nobody ever freakin' saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn't even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I feel like this is a perfect argument for an "oh, dear" reaction button.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I feel like this is a perfect argument for an "oh, dear" reaction button.

I've long wished we would add a Nintendo switch "oh" button.

artPWKRm.jpg

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    That animation slate is garbage. Even ignoring Lego Batman, by all accounts there were multiple Japanese films this year very worthy of nomination.

In fact there were probably a whole slew of movies that should have been picked over fucking Boss Baby.

From 2014, a real Oscar voter, on the subject of best animated films:
    I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn't see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin' Chinese fuckin' things that nobody ever freakin' saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn't even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

ie - the Oscars get voted on for the stupidest fucking reasons

It's basically like a forum poll.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Is this where we complain about award nominations

Cuz I'm sad to see world of tomorrow 2 not nominated for best animated short, it's my favorite thing from last year

Both the first and second one are well worth the watch

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I wish there was a theater in the closest city that showed the more "arty" films that tend to get nominated for the prestige categories.

I mean technically there is, it's just all the way downtown and it's got ancient narrow wooden seats with no padding and last time I went there my butt fell asleep.

Can I not be comfortable while exercising my brain muscles, town?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    The Lego Batman movie probably has the Lego stigma of being seen as a giant toy commercial. Its kind of obvious that despite how good the movies are(Lego Movie and Lego Batman), that they come with an undercurrent of "and buy the Lego action sets". Which is probably a big minus to the academy voters who are generally in the 50+ range. We know the movies in question rise above that, but to people that can't bet bothered to watch it...

The fact that every other movie nominated has just as much merc only not on screen, is of course quietly ignored.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.