As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Congressional Sexual Harassment Allegations, Investigations, and Resignations

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    holy fucking shit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Wow. What a shithead.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    In a written statement, Knoblach, 60, called the allegations "indescribably hurtful" and said he would work toward healing his family.

"I love my children more than anything, and would never do anything to hurt them. Her allegations are false," Knoblach wrote. "I and other family members have made repeated attempts to reconcile with her in recent years, but she has refused."

Fuck that, go the fuck to jail.
    Knoblach's daughter, Laura, alleges that the prominent legislator inappropriately touched her for most of her life, with her first memories starting when she was 9 years old.

Now 23, Laura said she confided in close friends, family and authority figures at her school and church about the behavior for more than a decade.

Authorities from the St. Cloud police department and Sherburne County Sheriff's Office began an investigation into the claims in 2017. Authorities declined to bring charges. Jim Knoblach wasn't interviewed by investigators, but Gaertner denied the allegations.

After exhausting other means to hold her father accountable, Laura Knoblach made the allegations to MPR News on the record and supplied extensive documentation about her attempts to get help.

Oh wait, no, he should absolutely not be the only one sitting in that jail cell.

Jesus fucking christ

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Is being a fucked up monster a prequisite to a career with influence in this country? Cause if so, I’m fine being lower middle class thanks.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Is being a fucked up monster a prequisite to a career with influence in this country? Cause if so, I’m fine being lower middle class thanks.

In the GOP it sure seems to be a pre-requisite at this point.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Matev wrote: »

In the GOP it sure seems to be a pre-requisite at this point.

It was pointed out that if Kavanaugh is confirmed:
    That reminds me that, come Jan 3 of next year, all but one elected leader of the GOP and a third of their SCOTUS judges will have been credibly accused of either being a sexual predator or directly complicit in covering up for one.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    In a written statement, Knoblach, 60, called the allegations "indescribably hurtful" and said he would work toward healing his family.

"I love my children more than anything, and would never do anything to hurt them. Her allegations are false," Knoblach wrote. "I and other family members have made repeated attempts to reconcile with her in recent years, but she has refused."

Fuck that, go the fuck to jail.
    Knoblach's daughter, Laura, alleges that the prominent legislator inappropriately touched her for most of her life, with her first memories starting when she was 9 years old.

Now 23, Laura said she confided in close friends, family and authority figures at her school and church about the behavior for more than a decade.

Authorities from the St. Cloud police department and Sherburne County Sheriff's Office began an investigation into the claims in 2017. Authorities declined to bring charges. Jim Knoblach wasn't interviewed by investigators, but Gaertner denied the allegations.

After exhausting other means to hold her father accountable, Laura Knoblach made the allegations to MPR News on the record and supplied extensive documentation about her attempts to get help.

Oh wait, no, he should absolutely not be the only one sitting in that jail cell.

Jesus fucking christ

Yeah, and people wonder why people like Christine Blasey Ford don't come forward. Laura tried for a DECADE to get help/justice. Two police departments "investigated", but chose not to even interview the accused.

Yeah, people can fuck off with "Why didn't they report it?" as an excuse. Because this story? This is fucking why. As are the death threats, doxxing, and harrassment that Christine Blasey Ford is currently dealing with, Anita Hill got smeared for, etc etc etc.

So. Fucking. Mad. Right. Now.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    https://splinternews.com/court-docs-allege-ex-trump-staffer-drugged-woman-he-got-1829233105

Trump Staffer Jason Miller drugged a woman he got pregnant with an abortion pill, killed her unborn child, and nearly killed her.

The pro-life party, ladies and gentlemen.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    https://splinternews.com/court-docs-allege-ex-trump-staffer-drugged-woman-he-got-1829233105

Trump Staffer Jason Miller drugged a woman he got pregnant with an abortion pill, killed her unborn child, and nearly killed her.

What the fuck what the fuck

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

Hey, Scott DesJarlis is still serving the Tennessee 4th. Despite a recording of him pressuring a mistress into having an abortion, and an allegation a patient (he's a GP) slept with him, and he gave her a prescription for controlled pain medication, came out before his 2012 election. Which he won, running on a "family values" ticket.

After the election, his divorce proceeding from his first wife (a decade earlier) include an admission of six affairs (two of which were patients), that his first wife had had two abortions at his request, and that he and his wife were the ones that wiretapped the initial recording. He was also fined $1500 for sleeping with those two patients.

And despite all this, despite barely holding on in 2014, and despite in 2016 he was considered one of the most at risk Congresspeople, won his district by 30pts.

The most disappointing thing though? I did a search for "republican abortion mistress", and neither he, nor Jason Miller were the first result. It was Tim Murphy. Who served for 14 years as the Representative for the Pennsylvania 18th (that Conor Lamb won) before resigning in disgrace.

Scott DesJarlis is still serving. And is probably going to win re-election.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The GOP is the party of women are men's property, simple as that. And that's reflected at the highest levels of the party.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The American Taliban.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Gross Old Predators

broken image link
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I keep thinking I can't get any more angry, but the Knoblach story includes multiple incidents of her going to the police and the police deciding that it didn't need to be criminal even though it was very clearly child sexual abuse.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Gross Old Predators

Mostly, yes; but as much as we might hope that they'll all just die out soon, it seems that there are also a bunch of young ones ready to take up the banner of being awful.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Hey, Scott DesJarlis is still serving the Tennessee 4th. Despite a recording of him pressuring a mistress into having an abortion, and an allegation a patient (he's a GP) slept with him, and he gave her a prescription for controlled pain medication, came out before his 2012 election. Which he won, running on a "family values" ticket.

After the election, his divorce proceeding from his first wife (a decade earlier) include an admission of six affairs (two of which were patients), that his first wife had had two abortions at his request, and that he and his wife were the ones that wiretapped the initial recording. He was also fined $1500 for sleeping with those two patients.

And despite all this, despite barely holding on in 2014, and despite in 2016 he was considered one of the most at risk Congresspeople, won his district by 30pts.

The most disappointing thing though? I did a search for "republican abortion mistress", and neither he, nor Jason Miller were the first result. It was Tim Murphy. Who served for 14 years as the Representative for the Pennsylvania 18th (that Conor Lamb won) before resigning in disgrace.

Even if elected, he could face expulsion from Congress. If, you know, the GOP actually gave a shit.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

Even if elected, he could face expulsion from Congress. If, you know, the GOP actually gave a shit.

Umm... he's served the last four terms. The last two with full knowledge of his issues, and still winning by 30pts. The GOP know who he is. They don't care. This is who they are.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The party of family fucking values.

(Sometimes literally!)

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    "Family values" meaning the rule of the father over his family without question.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    "Family values" meaning the rule of the father over his family without question.

Or rather, a male dictating the behavior of all females within a family. The male needn't actually be a member of the family.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2018

DarkPrimus wrote: »

Or rather, a male dictating the behavior of all females within a family. The male needn't actually be a member of the family.

It's more akin to the old Greek and Roman style patron households.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Can we try to stay on topic here.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Not a legislator in particular but close enough and SCOTUS is involved: an aide to Senator Chuck "personification of all that is wrong with Iowa" Grassley has resigned due to sexual harassment allegations. This is particularly important because the aide was trying to help push Kavanaugh through. He had been coordinating the messaging, because of course he was. Of course they are all abusers and harassers and don't see anything wrong with it.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    MN Dems have put out their report on Ellison per Kaczynski at KFile

Like I said earlier, I'm thankful I dont have to decide how this effects my vote.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Like I said earlier, I'm thankful I dont have to decide how this effects my vote.

Yes, the DFL put out a report written by a lawyer with longstanding ties to the party. There's no way that doesn't look like ass covering.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Yes, the DFL put out a report written by a lawyer with longstanding ties to the party. There's no way that doesn't look like ass covering.

Yeah if it was just that I'd say absolutely, just party nonsense but it tracks with outside reporters work as well so who knows

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Is there any evidence from other sources that contradict the report?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That's why you go with an outside investigation. Because an internal investigation will seem to have credibility issues.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    From what I have heard, the accuser has been very inconsistent and the situation reads that Ellison should probably had better judgement than to be involved with her in the first place; the entire thing reads as the accuser lashing out because the relationship didn't work out.

I have no idea, personally, but as someone who has had an ex make all sorts of wild and false claims after I broke up with her ("I'm pregnant" being the most devastating lie because I wanted to be a father), I know that people, regardless of gender, may misrepresent an unfortunate situation out of any number of reasons. Believing victims is only the first step, an investigation has to happen and the claims found credible.

The Democrats being sketchy with their internal investigation notwithstanding, the only media outfits digging into this in Minnesota are the conservative press outlets and radio stations (they both sides ALL the recent Republican scandals with Ellison). The mainstream press doesn't seem to have found much to corroborate the accusations and have largely dropped it.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    That's why you go with an outside investigation. Because an internal investigation will seem to have credibility issues.

Right, it will have the appearance of potentially not being fair. Which is why I'm asking if there's anything to back up that appearance. Is there evidence contradicting the report somewhere else?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Right, it will have the appearance of potentially not being fair. Which is why I'm asking if there's anything to back up that appearance. Is there evidence contradicting the report somewhere else?

Ellison had a jaw droppingly tone deaf and dickish quote that made him sound like an abuser a couple weeks ago, but not a ton of hard evidence I'm aware of.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

Let me turn that question around on you - if we were talking about a Republican candidate facing these accusations, and a law firm with ties to the local Republican Party releasing such a report...

Would you be asking if the appearance of impropriety and bias really holds up? Because I know that, at least for me, the answer to that is "No." Which, in turn, is why I'm saying that the DFL response is also gooseshit. If we would not accept the conduct from our opponents, we should not accept it from our allies.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Ellison had a jaw droppingly tone deaf and dickish quote that made him sound like an abuser a couple weeks ago, but not a ton of hard evidence I'm aware of.

Tracked it down:
    "In this political environment, I don't know what somebody might cook up..."

Do not sound like Brett Kavanaugh. It's a bad look.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Let me turn that question around on you - if we were talking about a Republican candidate facing these accusations, and a law firm with ties to the local Republican Party releasing such a report...

Would you be asking if the appearance of impropriety and bias really holds up? Because I know that, at least for me, the answer to that is "No." Which, in turn, is why I'm saying that the DFL response is also gooseshit. If we would not accept the conduct from our opponents, we should not accept it from our allies.

Yes. Yes I would.

You can actually see this at work in the Kavanaugh thread, where a bunch of stories started circulating about as it was blowing up and several were more or less dismissed as not having credible backing. Or the way that people have constantly discussed all the details that make Ford's accusation more credible.

We've done this all before and recently.

shryke on
  • Options
    Ellison’s accuser fits the profile of an honest accusation.

• Options
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Ellison’s accuser fits the profile of an honest accusation.

Sure but at some point when people are looking into the accusations and not finding anything you have to be able to say there might not be much to the accusations.

We want accusations of assault and abuse to be taken seriously and investigated but its arguable you're not actually looking for an investigation if theres only one outcome you'll buy.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    It’s a crime that almost exclusively takes place in private with only the perpetrator and victim as witnesses.

If we take testimony of the victim as insufficient, we are perpetuating a society that victimized them in the first place, because there will very rarely be more that an investigation could hope to turn up.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure this Ellison stuff started up from a third party witnessing Ellison dragging the woman.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    It’s a crime that almost exclusively takes place in private with only the perpetrator and victim as witnesses.

If we take testimony of the victim as insufficient, we are perpetuating a society that victimized them in the first place, because there will very rarely be more that an investigation could hope to turn up.

How to feel about this kind of depends on what action against an accused abuser you're hoping to take. I certainly don't fault anyone voting against Ellison for this, I might do the same should I be a voter there, but we should move far, far away from single testimony criminal convictions for crimes if that's what we're discussing.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg