As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Noteworthy Shenanigans With The [Certification Of The Alabama Special Election]

So, at the the conclusion of the prior AL election thread, the management said:
If there are noteworthy shenanigans with the certification of the election a thread specific to that topic could be made.

And what do you know, we have a noteworthy shenanigan:
Roy S. Moore, the first Republican to lose a United States Senate race in Alabama in 25 years, moved late Wednesday to block state officials from certifying the victory of his Democratic rival on Thursday afternoon because of “systematic voter fraud.”

In a complaint filed in the circuit court here in Alabama’s capital, Mr. Moore’s campaign argued that such fraud had tainted the Dec. 12 special election, which Mr. Moore lost to Doug Jones by fewer than 22,000 votes, and that the Alabama authorities had inadequately investigated claims of misconduct.

If the election is prematurely certified, Mr. Moore’s lawyers wrote, he will “suffer irreparable harm” and be “denied his full right as a candidate to a fair election.”

Now, you'll point out that the AL SoS is intending to allow the certification to go through this afternoon, but allow me to point out that Mitch McConnell is a craven son of a shellback. I would not put it past him to argue that he cannot "in good conscience" seat Jones as long as Moore's lawsuit was in the courts. Or that the court orders an emergency stay on the certification. Any way you look at it, Roy Moore has thrown yet another wrench in the gears of democracy.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Lose an election to a democrat? Let me just turn to page 1 of the republican misdirection playbook here.

It seems like every time a GOP member loses an election it's "systematic voter fraud" and they'll even call for it before the vote happens. Then if they win it's "whoops guess I was wrong! I sure do enjoy eating and having my cake at the same time!"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Would it shock you to find out that one of Roy Moore's election fraud experts is a conspiracy blogger who claims to have mathematical proof that there was a conspiracy to kill JFK?

Well, he is and it really shouldn't.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Lose an election to a democrat? Let me just turn to page 1 of the republican misdirection playbook here.

It seems like every time a GOP member loses an election it's "systematic voter fraud" and they'll even call for it before the vote happens. Then if they win it's "whoops guess I was wrong! I sure do enjoy eating and having my cake at the same time!"

Moore's argument pretty much boils down to "black people in Alabama aren't supposed to vote in those numbers."

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Also for some reason Republican turnout was down to the complete bafflement of the fellow who was banned from the local mall to ensure the safety of local teenagers.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    This is a local Alabama reporter taking a look at the actual lawsuit

Also this is the first lawsuit I’ve ever seen that includes the comments section of a Breitbart article. Like, the whole thing. Running for five pages. #ALSEN https://t.co/LNPbIpWo6y

JoeUser on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Would be funny if the investigation into this only showed the voter suppression that favored Moore (police checking warrants at polling places, the state’s middle of the night overturning of a decision preventing ballots from being destroyed after counting*, etc.).

*speaking of, how would a fraud investigation even work given this?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Given all that’s happened so far is that Moore has started a lawsuit there would seem to be very little this thread could discuss without leaping off into tangents about the GOP playbook or the conspiracy blogs of Moore’s associates.

And so the first few posts have proved. Your management will confer about the existence of this thread and it’s necessity, but don’t be surprised if it’s locked shortly.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

Also this is the first lawsuit I’ve ever seen that includes the comments section of a Breitbart article. Like, the whole thing. Running for five pages. #ALSEN https://t.co/LNPbIpWo6y

...one of the comments there is obliquly threatening to murder Jones supporters. He seriously included *that* as evidence in his favor?

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I feel like this is expected behavior for Moore. It becomes shenanigens when someone in a position of power gives it credibility and support.

Queue Trump in...

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    bowen wrote: »

Moore's argument pretty much boils down to "black people in Alabama aren't supposed to vote in those numbers."

I mean, the Alabama GOP certainly did their damnedest to prevent black people from voting through implementation of a number of laws over the past decade. Voter ID laws followed by closing all the DMVs in counties with majority black populations, marking people who voted in the previous election as "lapsed," etc.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AL.com is reporting on the certification hearing:
    Merrill told AL.com this morning that his office has been investigating reports of voter fraud.

"As of yesterday at 5 p.m. we've had 101 instances of alleged fraudulent activity that had occurred in this election and we had adjudicated more than 60 of those," Merrill said.

He said the four that received the most attention did not occur.

One was an allegation that five busloads of African-Americans were brought into the Mobile area to vote. Another was that three vanloads of people from Mexico were brought to the state, intercepted and arrested. Merrill said neither occurred.

Another concerned suspiciously high turnout at a community near Birmingham that does not exist.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Moore knows he has no case; given he filed this the day before the election was to be certified, he's just trying to gum up Jones' certification for as long as he can.

Deplorable, but totally unsurprising.

Also, I always like how these bullshit claims always have people busing in a bunch of illegal voters, implying some magical way to get them on the voter rolls so they can illegally vote: but for some reason those methods won't work on the disenfranchised people who already exist in those areas.

Like, made-up illegal vote conspiracies, save some money! Source your illegal votes locally!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Moore knows he has no case; given he filed this the day before the election was to be certified, he's just trying to gum up Jones' certification for as long as he can.

Deplorable, but totally unsurprising.

Also, I always like how these bullshit claims always have people busing in a bunch of illegal voters, implying some magical way to get them on the voter rolls so they can illegally vote: but for some reason those methods won't work on the disenfranchised people who already exist in those areas.

Like, made-up illegal vote conspiracies, save some money! Source your illegal votes locally!

Not necessarily. It may be simply that he couldn't file any later then that and they were still trying to put their case together.

Basically, he might just be a stupid man who was rushed into filing when he did rather then a conniving one.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »

...one of the comments there is obliquly threatening to murder Jones supporters. He seriously included *that* as evidence in his favor?

Every single one of those comments is a murder threat.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    A judge just dismissed this with prejudice so we can put a fork in this dumb stunt.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

The AP is like, the major wire service in the US.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yeah it’s done. See you at the next session, Jones.

• Options
    This seems like the proper capstone to the career of Roy Moore.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    This seems like the proper capstone to the career of Roy Moore.

You really think this is the last we'll hear of him? Really? Breitbart always needs more editors. Alabama talk radio always needs more loonies. He was elected to judgeship multiple times after all, even after being thrown out literally for not following the law.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Bogart. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.