As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[New Year's Resolutions] have achieved lift-off, and are moving into orbit

Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punkhedge witchRegistered User regular
edited January 2018 in Social Entropy++
What are you up to in the New Year to self-improve?

Personally, I'm finding myself at the end of 2017 looking at a lot of reasons to make earnest life improvements as I move into the post-college job market

Stuff I've got in mind:
Using the KonMari method to improve my personal spaces and decrease clutter
Write that research grant to go chase bizarre African frogs which I've wanted to do for years now
Be politically active in Virginia to help the right candidates take office
Be a bit less tech reliant
Read more scientific literature
Manage stress before it becomes anxiety
Be proactive in getting things done ahead of time

Also I have been walking a bunch and eating well so I'm not in poor shape, but I can certainly add more strength exercises and proper high intensity cardio to my life

What is on your list?

Oh, and a reminder that this is not a general mental health thread

Mortal Sky on

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    My list, currently:

1. Don't be a dick (Restrain thyself!)
    2. ‎Exercise regularly (Yoga?)
    3. ‎Change my name(Natalie!!)
    4. ‎Change my gender markers(F!!)
    5. ‎Don't give up. (Don't. Don't do it.)
    6. ‎Start my undergrad(Fall semester)

Looking forward to 2018, to be honest. It can only get better from here.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Not die.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really mine is the same as last year
    Don't give up on hope
    As it's the only thing I really have to get out of this mess

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Thinking I'm gonna aim for, from easiest to hardest:

1. Relearning French to a conversational level, so I can participate in work chats in both languages
    2. Getting into a new martial art school
    3. Depending on finances, have either an apartment or a car by the year's end and substantial savings before I go for either

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Come up with good resolutions for 2019.

Maybe also work on the weight and budget things.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Losing weight is a thing I would like to do as a part of the martial arts thing, but I'm less likely to pull that off in a significant way until I move out and manage to do so while financially secure/can buy good food, so, I'm not throwing that on the list

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Just read Marie Kondo for book club, so I think I'm gonna do that. I moved into this apartment thinking I'd be here for like six months until we figured out where Mrs. Jedoc was going to be working long-term, then I'd go join her, so the organization has always been a bit haphazard.

14 months later, I find myself divorced and in this apartment for at least the next year, but I haven't done anything about my belongings other than replacing a few kitchen implements that live in Houston now.

I went through my clothes yesterday and pulled about 2/3 of them to donate (or turn into dustrags, in the case of some of my more raggedy t-shirts) and I think I'll move on to my books today. I don't think I'll go full feng shui as the book seems to recommend, but I'm going to try to spend the next year getting rid of inessential items and replacing my cheap junk with badass replacement junk, as befits my new status as Eccentric Bachelor Gentleman.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    jkhmo2j581a1.png

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Make art that means something to me.

Mark art that means something to other people.

Play tabletop games not just for public consumption.

Help build communities and support others when I can.

Maybe eat a little healthier.

And finish some personal projects.

Also, I bought a journal for bullet journaling. So I guess "do that."

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    - be more active, to that end I bought a Fitbit and need friends https://www.fitbit.com/user/6BDCNS
    - work on learning Spanish with consistency, because holy shit does not speaking Spanish really limit me in south Texas
    - get better at money. once PAX South is over I want to try YNAB and see how I like it. I also set up Ally accounts for my husband and I - we each have an individual money market for shit we want to buy not out of the joint checking (like gifts or stupid shit) and a joint savings account. need to edit all our direct deposits.
    - go back to reading more and aimlessly fucking about on my phone less

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    cabsy wrote: »
    - be more active, to that end I bought a Fitbit and need friends https://www.fitbit.com/user/6BDCNS
    - work on learning Spanish with consistency, because holy shit does not speaking Spanish really limit me in south Texas
    - get better at money. once PAX South is over I want to try YNAB and see how I like it. I also set up Ally accounts for my husband and I - we each have an individual money market for shit we want to buy not out of the joint checking (like gifts or stupid shit) and a joint savings account. need to edit all our direct deposits.

Check and see if your local library subscribes to Overdrive, the free ebook and eaudio service! That way, fucking around on your phone and reading can be the same thing!

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I went with goals vs resolutions (not a huge difference but it makes a difference in how I feel about em):

1. Read a book per month.
    2. Exercise 2 hours per week, about 15 minutes per day.
    3. Write 1000 words per week.
    4. Start therapy

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

I also want to learn Spanish this year. I'd love to get to a basic conversational level in time for the Central America trip I'm currently planning for 2019. Hopefully we get some more Espanophones (yeah that's a word) as volunteers this year so I can practice on them.

Also: read at least 36 books, do some fuckin exercise, and save £££ for aforementioned CA trip.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    stop drinking soda
    stop smoking tobacco
    move to a blue state

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    to finally let this rusting, smoking hulk collapse in obsolescence

to rest

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Check and see if your local library subscribes to Overdrive, the free ebook and eaudio service! That way, fucking around on your phone and reading can be the same thing!

they do! I can't read very well on backlight and my adhd means if I'm on my phone I'll tab out of a book about a billion times, so I have a six year old kindle that I use. it's just getting back into the habit of putting the damn phone down... I went 30 years without a smart phone, I can go a few hours of reading time

• Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Get a decent GPA, stop being such a fucking introvert, pick up heavier shit.

I’m pretty sure those were my resolutions last year too! Yeah consistency!

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

I also want to learn Spanish this year. I'd love to get to a basic conversational level in time for the Central America trip I'm currently planning for 2019. Hopefully we get some more Espanophones (yeah that's a word) as volunteers this year so I can practice on them.

Also: read at least 36 books, do some fuckin exercise, and save £££ for aforementioned CA trip.

Guatemala has some really good Spanish language schools in Antigua. Like, they have a whole industry around teaching tourists Spanish via 1-on-1 tutorial lessons with locals. And it's one of those ethical tourism activities where the money is funneled back into local economy to benefit the community. It's basically how I learned Spanish when I went there for 3 months. It can be totally worth it to spend a week in a UNESCO protected heritage city just doing a mad crash course to really improve your language competency.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    My 2017 resolution at the start of the year was basically to try to always be reading a book.

I wouldn't say I succeeded, but I wouldn't say I failed exactly either. I kind of came to the point where I was once again really enjoying reading and fitting it into my life, but at the same time I found that I didn't want to be always reading - just reading more frequently, and finding that balance was an important part of my rediscovery of joy of reading last year. So now I'm working on getting the balance right, and quite happy with how that turned out as a goal last year.

This year I'm tossing up several ideas, but it's important that I really only stick to one or two I think are achievable. Working around the idea that last year's resolution really worked for me, most of my ideas revolve around either concentrating on attempting to enhance the hobbies I've already got.

I'd like to do 1 or 2 of:

- Commit to watching a movie at home every fortnight. There's a long backlog of movies I've missed for whatever reason (mostly kids) and film is one of those things I really enjoy.
    - Spending more time with Photography again. Last year I suffered a few technical issues which basically put a crowbar into my keeping just on top of my photography; instead I basically got overwhelmed and froze on doing one of my favourite hobbies. Not just catching up with last year but going back through into the past decade of old photos I've never got around to sorting, organising and post processing would be a big task, but one I think would lift a bit of weight and guilt off one of the ways I like to pass my time and get back to enjoyment, growth, and experimentation.
    - Gaming: pretty much just digging into my Steam backlog and keeping it churning. I don't necessarily need to make it smaller, so long as things are getting crossed off. Also, Kees is getting to the age where I can really start beginning to game with him, and I'd like to explore that more. Of course, I'm pretty sure most of this will happen whether I choose it as a goal, or not, so it's really a bit of a gimme.
    - This one's a bit left field, but - learn guitar? Unlike the others, this is less about finding more enjoyment in my existing hobbies and instead just adding another new hobby into my life I'm already finding difficulty fitting in. But learning new skills and talents is also an important part of keeping your life fresh and Kees will be starting to learn instruments this year also, so maybe learning together will be a fun bonding thing? I've thought about this as a resolution for 2 or 3 years now, but have put it off because it is the one that most didn't fit my life, but it's been hovering around at the back of my mind for a while now and hasn't quite gone away; however I am concerned that the longer I put it off the less likely I am to ever take it down and give it a go. Admittedly, that was also how I approached the idea of taking up Photography a decade or so ago. So I'm a bit torn on this one.

There's a few other goals that will be getting done regardless: we managed to buy a house for renovating at the end of 2017, so much of 2018 will be planning, starting, and overseeing what amounts to building our family dream home to last us the next 20 years, which is going to take up a bit of time and mental space from my 2018. And I'm looking into a year of career transitional change, although I'm not sure what form that will take yet. Finding my forward from what I've done and where I've got to at work this year will be a slightly daunting challenge, and I'm really not sure what my job will look like a year from now. All I really know is that what I'm doing now is not sustainable, so it's time for me to go out and stretch myself again.

Fishman on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What I need to do after the first is to figure out what I'm going to do with myself now that I've got my stupid GED.

My options are probably go into a ludicrous amount of debt to go to school without really knowing what I want to study or get some kind of job.

I mean besides trying to get active and healthy again and trying to find some more hobbies.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

Guatemala has some really good Spanish language schools in Antigua. Like, they have a whole industry around teaching tourists Spanish via 1-on-1 tutorial lessons with locals. And it's one of those ethical tourism activities where the money is funneled back into local economy to benefit the community. It's basically how I learned Spanish when I went there for 3 months. It can be totally worth it to spend a week in a UNESCO protected heritage city just doing a mad crash course to really improve your language competency.

This sounds awesome. I already decided I want to start in Guatemala instead of Mexico so that would work out well.

God dang though I am only just starting this plan and I already feel like it's going to be impossible to fit in everything I want to do.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    My resolution for 2017 was to get a different job. Which I sorta did; same company, different project. Good enough for me.

My 2018 resolutions:
    -get 8 hours of sleep every night.
    -cultivate an interest outside of game development. I'm thinking learning a language?
    -go to more shows
    -demand more of my friendships, and be a more reliable friend in turn

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »

This sounds awesome. I already decided I want to start in Guatemala instead of Mexico so that would work out well.

God dang though I am only just starting this plan and I already feel like it's going to be impossible to fit in everything I want to do.

Guatemala is awesome and I can share a lot of knowledge of the country, as my brother-in-law lived there for many years and had all the connections and local hook-ups. Hit me up in the travel thread sometime and I'd be happy to give advice and recommendations.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Stop drinking beer
    Step up my muay thai training
    Learn to play the guitar

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I would say make an effort to not be so socially isolated, but I have no idea how that would work. It was the same thing last year and nothing has terribly changed on that front.

I will make an effort to keep more regular communication with my international siblings. Already I have failed my little sister on that front. This year I won’t make that same mistake. Me being lonely is fine, her feeling that cannot be accepted.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Self-immolating in glorious Technicolor sounds like a pretty great way to go.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I'm gonna eat some Pringles, but not too many Pringles.

• Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Uriel wrote: »
    What I need to do after the first is to figure out what I'm going to do with myself now that I've got my stupid GED.

My options are probably go into a ludicrous amount of debt to go to school without really knowing what I want to study or get some kind of job.

I mean besides trying to get active and healthy again and trying to find some more hobbies.

ENG 101 is a requirement for every degree plan I’ve looked at, and most community colleges only charge 200-400 for 15 credits per quarter. Going to school as an adult blows, trust me, but man....gotta find an advantage anywhere you can.

I sat through a few weeks of classes I wasn’t registered for my first quarter going back to school. It helped me figure out what I wanted to learn more about. Maybe it’d work for you too?

David Walgas on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    To master the time space continuum so I find a way to prevent turning thirty a year from now.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Read more
    stop drinking soda
    Get more exercise
    survive our impending move

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    To master the time space continuum so I find a way to prevent turning thirty a year from now.

Time Lords have this little trick
    Sort of a way of cheating death

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    -Track calories everyday
    -Run three times a week
    -Write 150 words per day on anything (fiction, news, readings, etc.)
    -Translate 250 words of Mandarin a week (a paragraph or two basically)
    -Read 500 pages a month (I'd do a book/month but my books range from 250 pages to 1000+ so that's not as fair)

And more general things:
    -Cook my meals more often instead of eating out
    -Lose 50 pounds
    -Start my career (seems more like luck at this point)

addendum: if I'm able to start in my career and thus have good health insurance, I want to start seeing a permanent therapist again to help with my major depressive disorder.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I stabbed Gustav, just like you asked... He ain’t ressurectincarnating, boss.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I guess I'll try to lose weight

I'm also going to see about foraging a lot more food as it's fun and interesting

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Draw (or paint) every day. I downloaded the apps Chains and Habitica to help me stay with it. I’m also going to try to lose the few pounds I gained last year so that my pants aren’t so tight.

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I stabbed Gustav, just like you asked... He ain’t ressurectincarnating, boss.

If we stab them and they regenerate, they're a timelord and will be immediatly shipped to Area 51 for an autopsy.

If we stab them and they die they're a human and will be given a good christian burial.

It's a totally fair system, everyone wins.

orthanc
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I'm mostly going to try to give up holding in my anger.

I'm not a violent person, and I try to not be hateful to people. I do, however, hold severe grudges against people who I think have "wronged" me. It's completely passive, but I hold in anger and almost obsession in ways that just build up and really make me a worse person.

Without getting specific, there was someone this year that I really felt wronged me, as well as someone who I felt was a friend. I don't want to get into specifics, but the both of them did something after I let them know how I felt about the situation that made me feel as if neither of them actually cared about me as a person. It just burned within me and I could tell I was being awful to the both of them, tried to explain my situation, and wound up losing the both of them.

This year I really want to find ways to let that type of thing go. I've taken steps in the previous situation, but still suspect that I am being used. I hope in the new year I find a way to gain peace.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

30 ain't shit.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tyBYzeIJjI

A bit of trivia: putting the shawl on her head and making the face was an improv by Lis.