Options

Don't Play With [The Elder Scrolls] Or You'll Go Blind

OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
MeDpGc1.jpg

Ooops, too late.

I've been playing the games a lot lately and seeing we didn't have a thread for it going on here, I thought I'd put one up. For those that haven't seen the latest single-player game infiltrate their gaming system of choice yet, the Elder Scrolls is a Western RPG series made (mostly) by Bethesda. The games in the series typically start out with your character being a prisoner for some reason or the other only for some event to occur (for some divine or destined reason or the other) that sets you free into the game's world. This tends to be truer then most RPGs as The Elder Scrolls games tend to dump you into a sandbox world and let you do whatever you'd like, rewarding and punishing you accordingly.

lzNTmCD.jpg

Of course, since this is made by Bethesda, there's going to be the occasional bug as well so save often and save in multiple files as they and the fans never catch all of them. Speaking of the fans, that also brings up another great thing about TES.

KSLoU6d.jpgUmQnIUh.jpg

That being the modding community. Bethesda has no problems letting the fans add and fix the game (the latter especially since they don't have to do the work), going so far as to setting up the Creation Club a short while ago to let certain mod developers get paid for the work they put into the games. It tends to take the 'freedom to do anything' aspect of the games to another level which is pretty cool. So, anyone here have some good memories about the games, current and past?

Oh, and if you're the sort that doesn't go cross-eyed at old graphics and not-so-modern gameplay, Bethesda's put up the first two TES games up free for download at their site: Arena and Daggerfall.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    latest?cb=20151007100800

When in doubt play Morrowind

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    No lie one of the things I am most looking forward to about moving back to the UK in a couple of months is getting to play Skyrim again. It's been 3 long years and I miss it a ton. I know that's really sad, don't even care

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I am thinking of getting ESO

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Was my penis an elder scroll all along

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting ESO

It's a good game from what I've seen. Apparently it wasn't so 'Elder Scroll'-sy when it first released but Zenimax put the work in to make it more comfortable for those that were brought to the game after playing Skyrim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLExrWz69vY

It helped that the first expansion was made around Morrowind for some heavy nostalgia. And the next expansion coming out this May/June is going even further back if anyone here remembers their time in Arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCdHwOC0lLE

Probably the strangest thing about ESO is how they've shifted the tutorial when it comes to starting the core game's plot. When Morrowind came out, you start in a new tutorial that begins on a boat (again, probably for nostalgia's sake). If you want to go start the game proper, you need to complete enough of the new tutorial so you can get on a boat to one of three faction-cities and pick up a starter-quest when you arrive that leads into the game's proper beginning. And now I'm hearing that Summerset will do the same thing by shifting the opening tutorial to it's shores when it comes out.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    latest?cb=20151007100800

When in doubt play Morrowind

i mean it's an alright expansion but at the end of the day the game is still really derivative of hearthstone

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    My favorite thing to do in skyrim is shoot people with arrows.

• Options
    My favorite thing to do in skyrim is shoot people with arrows.

In the knee or will any general spot on the body will do?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I could not get into ESO
    It lacked any of the atmosphere or charm or.... WHATEVER it was that grabbed me about Skyrim
    I look forward to whatever Elder Scrolls 6 is but Online isn't going to scratch that itch

• Options
    btw if y'all haven't read the 36 Lessons of Vivec

Go do that thing

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    ESO is fine, I guess. For an MMO at least. It doesn't do anything that I love from an Elders Scroll though. Or any Bethesda open world game, really.

I'm not going to get 700-1000 hours out of it is what I'm saying.

• Options
    I dunno. I've been enjoying ESO so far myself. I've been slowly crawling my way through the Daggerfall Covenant areas, slowly filling in the map with completed side-quests. It's nice to hover over an icon that lets you know briefly how you've improved things in that little corner of the world.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Also I think it looks very ugly and I can't make it prettier.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I’ve realized I played a lot of Oblivion and Skyrim and do not know what an Elder Scroll is

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I’ve realized I played a lot of Oblivion and Skyrim and do not know what an Elder Scroll is

I'm almost certain you got to sling an Elder Scroll over your back like a sword in Oblivion. You got it from the blind moth monks, right?

Although, yeah, it's been like ten years and I have no idea why I was doing that.

Edit: also, I've played Sunless Seas much more recently, and the idea of blind moth monks seems way more terrifying now.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I dunno. I've been enjoying ESO so far myself. I've been slowly crawling my way through the Daggerfall Covenant areas, slowly filling in the map with completed side-quests. It's nice to hover over an icon that lets you know briefly how you've improved things in that little corner of the world.

I don't play it very often but when I do I'm always a little impressed at how much I actually enjoy it

Th weakest part was definitely the tutorial, so the knowledge that they changed it is very heartening to me!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options

On the surface, they're magical scrolls that tell the future. They've been called however fragments of creation by a character from Skyrim, artifacts outside of time, and they will mess you up if you try to read them without help. The reason why said Moth Priests from Oblivion were likely blind is that even with their training they still eventually go blind from reading one. And that's if you're lucky as insanity's also a byproduct of reading one. Only Dwemer (TES' version of dwarves though they're actually elves) technology is capable of reading an Elder Scroll without side-effects.

• Options
    Elder Scrolls also has the best lore that it totally fails to mention in or even make relevant to the events of each game

• Options
    edited April 2018
    When it comes to lore, TES is one of the few series that seem to make a plot-contrivance like a Dragon-Break work with little fan complaining (as far as I know). And all of it's based around Bethesda not wanting to invalidate any of Daggerfall's endings.

"Hmmm...ok, sure, it all happened. Not like it'll be important in Morrowind anyway. Let the players have their favorite ending."

Owenashi on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, I just can just never imagine this series as a MMO. Every game since Morrowind has ended up with me becoming some form of world-breaking god, and I really enjoy that. Also, there are no actual people there, which is a huge bonus.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Elder Scrolls also has the best lore that it totally fails to mention in or even make relevant to the events of each game

Ooh see I'd actively debate this take

The same Dark Tower-esque thinning of reality that starts with the use of Kagrenac's Tools in Morrowind feeds into the Oblivion Crisis and the Thalmors' plotting in Skyrim

Sovngarde in Skyrim also works itself into the greater cosmology of the Dreamsleeve pretty well

It's all subtle as hell but it is there

Edit: oh of course Morrowind goes super hard with the more in general, and Skyrim's whole plot deals with the nature of the Aedric gods and Akatosh in particular as being a heck of a thing

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

On the surface, they're magical scrolls that tell the future. They've been called however fragments of creation by a character from Skyrim, artifacts outside of time, and they will mess you up if you try to read them without help. The reason why said Moth Priests from Oblivion were likely blind is that even with their training they still eventually go blind from reading one. And that's if you're lucky as insanity's also a byproduct of reading one. Only Dwemer (TES' version of dwarves though they're actually elves) technology is capable of reading an Elder Scroll without side-effects.

There's a lore nerd argument that they may be
    in-game asset packages or mod/save files

• Options

Ooh see I'd actively debate this take

The same Dark Tower-esque thinning of reality that starts with the use of Kagrenac's Tools in Morrowind feeds into the Oblivion Crisis and the Thalmors' plotting in Skyrim

Sovngarde in Skyrim also works itself into the greater cosmology of the Dreamsleeve pretty well

It's all subtle as hell but it is there

Edit: oh of course Morrowind goes super hard with the more in general, and Skyrim's whole plot deals with the nature of the Aedric gods and Akatosh in particular as being a heck of a thing

Sure but you can, and most players probably do, play through a whole TES game without ever engaging with it

• Options
    speaking of TES lore there is someone in the Oldtown district of Alexandria with the license plate ALMSIVI and I laugh every time I see it (which has been a million times now since I commute down the street they park on)

• Options
    speaking of TES lore there is someone in the Oldtown district of Alexandria with the license plate ALMSIVI and I laugh every time I see it (which has been a million times now since I commute down the street they park on)

Oh shit I've seen that car

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I’m enjoying ESO. It’s not quite the same as a regular TES game but still enjoyable.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/PpA9Y3_GsoQ

I really enjoy watching Skyrim's kill-shots whenever the camera view's not impeded in any way. Next to the two-handed weapon kills like this one, the unarmed kills are pretty good too.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I fucking love Elder Scrolls lore. It is my most favouritest world-building of any property ever.

• Options
    Probably the neatest bit of TES lore that I've learned is that what people think of the sun, stars and moons are actually (in respective order) the big exit hole a god made to escape reality, the smaller holes smaller spirits made to follow him and the split apart remains of another god.

• Options
    so are we... we're not getting a new one of these this console generation, are we

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Generations are weird now but

Holiday 2019 would be the absolute earliest I think, and unlikely at that.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    if it's true that they have two other big games they're doing before TES6, I can't imagine it won't take forever

• Options
    so are we... we're not getting a new one of these this console generation, are we

I think the fact that they can put Skyrim on the Switch and Playstation-VR and still make money means Bethesda's not in any grand rush to produce a new one. And if anything, ESO's stream of new content probably means fans won't be complaining as loudly either.

• Options
    I am! I am complaining loudly!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    huh, weird how everyone's perfectly happy with the continuation of Elder Scrolls Online an nobody at all is asking for a new mainline game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    My hope is that they’re using a new engine and want to make the next one a huge leap forward

Or that they all watched Black Panther and now we’re getting Hammerfell

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    My hope is that they’re using a new engine and want to make the next one a huge leap forward

Or that they all watched Black Panther and now we’re getting Hammerfell

That raises a good question; where should the next single-player game be set at? I wouldn't mind seeing Elsweyr as it'd provide a contrast to Skyrim.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Hammerfell and (sigh) elswyr would both be awesome. More catmen and orcs regardless.

• Options
    I would definitely like more beastpeople in the next one. We got kind of stiffed on argonians and khajits in Skyrim.

I would love to go to Black Marsh or Valenwood but also would be worried that they wouldn't make the environments weird enough.